UConn Capital One Cup/Director's Cup 14-15 Standings | The Boneyard

UConn Capital One Cup/Director's Cup 14-15 Standings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is where UConn finished 14-15 in the Capital One Cup and Director's Cup Final Standings for 14-15:

Capital One -
Women's Cup - #8 (80 points)
Men's Cup - Did Not Place (0 points)

Director's Cup - #74 (255.00 points)

The strength for UConn came on the women's side this year.

Just for fun, here is how UConn finished compared to the rest of the B1G:

Capital One -
Women's Cup - UConn would have finished in third place behind Penn State (105) and Maryland (90).
Men's Cup - UConn did not score any points. Four B1G teams did not score points: Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue and Rutgers.

Director's Cup - UConn finished ahead of only Rutgers in the B1G. #14 Rutgers scored 187 points. #13 Indiana scored 403.50 points.

Capital One Cup Top 10 Finishes for UConn:
Women's Field Hockey - #1
Women's Basketball - #1

Both Top 10 finishes resulted in National Championships.

Here are the full B1G results for anyone interested in comparing UConn with the rest of the B1G for the 14-15 school year:

https://www.capitalonecup.com/assets/standings/complete-capital-one-cup-standings.pdf

Men's Cup Standings:
3. Ohio State - 93.5
18. Michigan State - 39
19. Wisconsin - 37
25. Penn State - 31
26. Maryland - 30
36. Illinois - 22
40. Michigan - 18
44. Iowa - 17
67. Minnesota - 8
79. Nebraska - 4

No Points:
Indiana
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Women's Cup Standings:
3. Penn State - 105
5. Maryland - 90
18. Michigan - 41
18. Nebraska - 41
25. Wisconsin - 35
31. Ohio State - 23.5
33. Michigan State - 20
33. Minnesota - 20
39. Northwestern - 15
91. Indiana - 1

No Points:
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Rutgers

Top 10 Finishes
Men's Cross Country: #10 Wisconsin
Men's Water Polo: NA
Men's Soccer: #8 Michigan State
Men's Football: #1 Ohio State; #5 Michigan State
Women's Field Hockey: #5 Maryland; #5 Penn State; #9 Northwestern
Women's Cross Country: #1 Michigan State; #10 Wisconsin
Women's Soccer: #6 Penn State
Women's Volleyball: #1 Penn State; #4 Wisconsin; #8 Nebraska
Men's Indoor Track & Field: NA
Men's Wrestling: #1 Ohio State; #2 Iowa; #6 Penn State; #8 Minnesota; #9 Nebraska
Men's/Women's Fencing: #2 Penn State; #5 Ohio State
Men's Swimming & Diving: #3 Michigan
Men's Basketball: #2 Wisconsin; #7 Michigan State
Men's Ice Hockey: #10 Minnesota
Men's Gymnastics: #3 Penn State; #4 Michigan; #6 Iowa; #7 Illinois; #7 Minnesota; #9 Nebraska; #9 Ohio State
Men's/Women's Skiing: NA
Men's/Women's Rifle: #4 Nebraska; #10 Ohio State
Women's Indoor Track & Field: NA
Women's Swimming & Diving: #10 Indiana
Women's Ice Hockey: #1 Minnesota; #3 Wisconsin
Women's Basketball: #4 Maryland
Women's Bowling: #1 Nebraska
Women's Gymnastics: #7 Michigan; #7 Nebraska
Men's Volleyball: #3 Penn State; #9 Ohio State
Men's Tennis: #6 Illinois
Men's Lacrosse: #3 Maryland; #5 Johns Hopkins; #9 Ohio State
Men's Golf: #3 Illinois
Men's Outdoor Track & Field: #10 Illinois
Men's Baseball: NA
Women's Water Polo: NA
Women's Tennis: NA
Women's Golf: #10 Northwestern
Women's Lacrosse: #1 Maryland; #5 Penn State; #7 Northwestern
Women's Rowing: #1 Ohio State; #10 Michigan
Women's Softball: #2 Michigan
Women's Outdoor Track & Field: NA

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/DIJune25conffinal.pdf

2014-15 Learfield Sports Director's Cup FInal Standings:
#7 Ohio State - 1087.00
#8 Penn State - 1060.75
#18 Wisconsin - 886.00
#19 Michigan - 870.75
#26 Minnesota - 741.00
#31 Illinois - 674.00
#33 Maryland - 644.75
#34 Michigan State - 644.00
#39 Nebraska - 570.00
#44 Iowa - 535.50
#50 Northwestern - 499.00
#60 Purdue - 405.00
#61 Indiana - 403.50
#104 Rutgers - 187.00

Reactions: pj

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Having the most money & likely best facilities probably helps. Also helps that there is not much competition to eliminate to make the top 10 in some of these sports:

Men's Gymnastics - All schools currently compete in one division, because only 16 schools sponsor men's gymnastics teams. Only one of the 16 teams is not in D1m Springfield College.

Men's Volleyball 29 D1

In the U.S., as of 2011-12 , there were 61 NCAA-sanctioned D1 men's lacrosse teams.

The following is a list of the 59 schools who field men's ice hockey teams and the 35 schools who field women's ice hockey teams in NCAADivision I competition.

As of the most recently completed 2014-15 NCAA Division I men's wrestling season, 75 schools in the United States sponsored Division I varsity men's wrestling with one additional institution in transition from Division II.

Reaction Score
They say Championships are the true measure of success. Just for fun, here is how UConn compares to the Big Ten/Ohio State over the past 25 years.

Mens Basketball National Championships: UConn (4), Big Ten Conference: (1)

Mens NCAA championships: UConn (6), Ohio State(5)

Mens NCAA & Football Championships: UConn (6), Ohio State(7)

Mens & Womens NCAA National Championships: UConn (20), Ohio State: (11)

Mens & Womens NCAA & Football Championships: UConn (20), Ohio State (13)

Reaction Score
Just for "fun", I looked up the Capital One standings from last year. The UConn Men finished 7th (the highest Big Ten team was Michigan at 16th) and the UConn Women finished 6th (the highest Big Ten Team was Penn State at 9th). So, both UConn's Mens and Womens programs would have finished first in the Big Ten if they were members of the conference last year. OSU finished 33rd (men) and 27th (women) respectively.

Reaction Score
They say Championships are the true measure of success. Just for fun, here is how UConn compares to the Big Ten/Ohio State over the past 25 years.

Mens Basketball National Championships: UConn (4), Big Ten Conference: (1)

Mens NCAA championships: UConn (6), Ohio State(5)

Mens NCAA & Football Championships: UConn (6), Ohio State(7)

Mens & Womens NCAA National Championships: UConn (20), Ohio State: (11)

Mens & Womens NCAA & Football Championships: UConn (20), Ohio State (13)

Curious as to why you decided to not go with current Big Ten membership for this comparison. Maryland won 21 NCAA men's and women's titles in the last 25 years. Nebraska has 10 NCAA titles in that same span. That's a big chunk of data to omit from the current group of schools UConn is being compared to, no?

Reaction Score
Curious as to why you decided to not go with current Big Ten membership for this comparison. Maryland won 21 NCAA men's and women's titles in the last 25 years. Nebraska has 10 NCAA titles in that same span. That's a big chunk of data to omit from the current group of schools UConn is being compared to, no?

The first and only comparison to the Big Ten were mens basketball championships actually won by the conference. Maryland or Nebraska didn't win a basketball championship as a member of the Big Ten. Additionally, in my second post, Maryland's performance in last year's Capital One cup occurred as a member of the ACC. But, to answer your question, I was making a point. . . and it's not that UConn is better than OSU, but rather that selective, myopic posts on a UConn board are often both misleading and annoying.

Reaction Score
The first and only comparison to the Big Ten were mens basketball championships actually won by the conference. Maryland or Nebraska didn't win a basketball championship as a member of the Big Ten. Additionally, in my second post, Maryland's performance in last year's Capital One cup occurred as a member of the ACC. But, to answer your question, I was making a point. . . and it's not that UConn is better than OSU, but rather that selective, myopic posts on a UConn board are often both misleading and annoying.

To be honest, I didn't even pay attention to who initally posted the thread. I see the rub now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just for "fun", I looked up the Capital One standings from last year. The UConn Men finished 7th (the highest Big Ten team was Michigan at 16th) and the UConn Women finished 6th (the highest Big Ten Team was Penn State at 9th). So, both UConn's Mens and Womens programs would have finished first in the Big Ten if they were members of the conference last year. OSU finished 33rd (men) and 27th (women) respectively.

Was just about to post the same thing. I remember UConn finishing in the Top 10 in both Men's and Women's sports last year. Here is the link:
Download 2013-2014 Standings. Florida, Oregon and Maryland also accomplished this feat last year. This year, Florida, Oregon and UCLA finished in the Top 10 in both Men's and Women's sports. I'd say that is a pretty impressive peer group for UConn athletics. But yeah, UConn belongs in a G5 conference. :confused:

pj

Reaction Score
B1GOSU's a friend to us, and was around a year ago when UConn's high standing in these rankings was highly touted on this board. I think it's appropriate to look back a year later and see how we did. Overall I think it's clear we're a good performing athletic department, but also that year to year fluctuations in performance are significant so you need a longer time frame to assess a school's performance. We do well.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm down with B1GOSU. Although I keep expecting him and some of the Michigan fans here to start battling!

CO Cup Conclusion: UConn finishes in the Top 10 in both men's and women's sports any year that a men's sport wins a title. WBB wins almost every year and some other women's programs win fairly often (ex - field hockey). I know this standings feat means nothing to CR, but it's still cool to identify Athletic Department peer groups who are all firmly planted inside the P5. Just another example of the absurdity of our AAC sentence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread isn't even remotely fun.

Reaction Score
Basketball, hockey, and baseball were all pretty close to their respective NCAA tourneys. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom