UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should ultimately be an annual game at Gillette. The swap would be perfect for UConn for a few reasons:

1. suggests BC has pre-approval to count this as a P5 game
2. suggests the true civil conflict is coming to an end

I hear Blumenthal will do the coin toss and if BC wins will immediately file suit.
IF BC wins, BlumingIdoit will resign and so will Mallory and John Larson...:). That is what I heard, anyway...

Reaction Score
you didn't hear? The BC brand is international. If UConn wants a game against them, it has to be scheduled in Istanbul on a Sunday after mass with a 90/10 ticket split in favor of BC
Istanbul?? Jeez, I thought I heard it was going to be played in Papeete* and I just bought air tickets.

*Papeete - The capital of Tahiti

Reaction Score
Hey all! Greetings from a friendly BC fan who occasionally lurks around here, and who would actually be in favor of renewing the series and playing UConn fairly regularly. Just a few things to add to the conversation from our perspective:

1.) BC isn't exactly desperate for this game. I know there's been a lot of talk about having leverage over BC, but the fact of the matter is that it sounds like BC can buy a one-off home game from FIU and then schedule an FCS game to still get 7 home games next year, even without UConn. So we're not exactly desperate.

2.) While I personally think that BC's schedule would be more attractive with UConn on it rather than FIU and I personally think that would help ticket sales and attendance, believe it or not this is not a universally held opinion. Many BC fans consider UConn just as much of a draw (or lack thereof) as UMass, and in fact would rather play UMass since there's a lot of bad blood with UConn. Many were pretty turned off by the drunken fallout from the last trip to the Rent. And I think some BC fans would prefer just to drop the local G5 teams -- the Big East is dead afterall -- in favor of playing academic peers regardless of geography (i.e. Rice, Tulane, etc.). I disagree and would love to see a primarily northeastern OOC, but just know that I'm not in the majority.

3.) Most BC fans will be disappointed about the schedule in 2016 regardless of whether it's FIU or UConn. We should have a P5. Maryland, Purdue and Baylor all lack P5's next year. This is what most BC fans want above all else. Anything less than a P5 would be viewed as a disappointing home schedule.

4.) The view from the BC fan base is that this has nothing to do with Bates and everything to do with our President, Leahy, and the big donors. For them, the treatment of BC fans at the Rent in 2003 and then the lawsuit are still very much fresh wounds. If, as Blauds says, this deal is waiting for BC to approve it, that means it's waiting for Leahy to approve it. Don't be surprised if all of Bates' efforts and the whole plan falls apart. Leahy has shown that he doesn't mind crushing the plans/dreams of our AD's.

5.) This game has no bearing on whether UConn will be considered P5 by the ACC. Remember, the ACC's P5 requirement doesn't kick in until 2017. This game would be 2016. BC will next need a P5 in 2018.

With all that said, I really hope this happens. If it doesn't happen in 2016 I hope it happens soon. I'd like to see BC alternate UConn and UMass every year. Anyway, cheers!

Thankyou for posting. After reading this, I hate BC even more than I did before I read this. Good job!

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
Do you not have a clear opinion on your school's attempt to kill our athletic program?
Okay this I fully support.

At least I'm honest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is good, it was getting way too friendly in here

Reaction Score
Okay this I fully support.

At least I'm honest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is good, it was getting way too friendly in here

Like the saying goes, if you can't come remotely close to beating them, lie, cheat and steal to try to kill them (didn't work).

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
*** BREAKING NEWS ***

A photo has leaked of the meeting between the UConn and BC representatives...

movies_star_trek_vi_the_undiscovered_country_1.jpg

Reaction Score
On a serious note about this, I think UConn BC would be a nice game for the region but I don't want it bad enough to play at Alumni without a return game or even do a 2-1 or anything like that. It's BC for heavens sake not Ohio State or Oklahoma or Alabama. Or Missouri or Tennessee for that matter. I'd do a 10 game deal a two game deal or any even number. Odd numbers would have to include a neutral site (I vote for Fenway over the blade but that's me). I'd love to play BC but not enough to accept anything less than home and home. They can always get a game with Howard or Norfolk State.

Reaction Score
this is the type of game that can start to build up interest in the region...
when I think of a rival, I think of a team that means a loss is more than just a loss. it doesn't matter how bad the team is, winning against the rival is better than just a win. That's BC from my perspective. There is no other team in the AAC or Big 10 that does this today.

And yes, it does help that BC is in the P5 category. But even when uconn does get the nod, BC will still be a rival. geography and past history make it so.

I hope this game happens. A win would be awesome, even if BC were 0-5 when the game took place. On the flip side, losing would absolutely suck to the point of no boneyard for a couple months. It would be a must see game.

Reaction Score
We need to have geographic rivals for fan interest's sake, both diehard and casual. When we first were transitioning to FBS, at least we had Syracuse, BC (initially), Rutgers, Pitt on the yearly schedule (and already had established basketball rivalries with most of those schools to carry over to football) so local fan interest was high. Now our closest geographic conference rival is Temple (and maybe Navy), the only other Northeast teams.

Renewing a series with BC would be a good thing.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Always great to have our BC friends stop by to remind us how little UConn matters to most BC fans (not them, of course), how evil all UConn fans were 12 years ago that one time, and how BC doesn't really need a game with UConn....they're much better off opening seasons with Maine and Howard.

Y'all come back again now, ha hear!
THIS!

Reaction Score
Three in Chestnut Hill and two here? Fine. Not ideal, but acceptable. Perhaps by the time game five rolls around our situation will have changed and it'd be irrelevant where we play.

Reaction Score
Problem is that if you do it for BC everyone will want that deal. We need to act like a major power in the region if we want to be taken as one Giving the Beagles a home game without getting one in return immediately concedes that they are the power and we are the poor little guys who will sell our souls to be taken seriously by the big time Beagles. Would it be a good game? Sure. But not at the cost of selling out to them. Fwiw I also think you over rate what it does for New England. It would need to be an annual event to move the needle. A one off which I absolutely oppose or anything less than a very long term deal does very little. They won't do at home-home we'll schedule someone who will. Again. It's BC not Alabama.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's a rumor on the BC message boards that it's a 3:2.

Well then we know it definitely isn't that.

Reaction Score
bCU prefers to play p5 academic peers.

Why is Nelson Munz picture my avatar?

Reaction Score
The first game as others have pointed out on here to me, would be our return game to UMass.

So, I'd rather have 3 BC road games, 2 BC home games, than just keep 1 UMass road game at Gillette.
The other way to look at this is we are getting a garbage home game with UMass and 2 games with BC while the Beagles get the better of the deal with 2 games against us at home and only 1 on the road. Let's just keep the UMass series and add BC home-home. Reality is they would rather play us and can likely get it to count as a p5 to boot. We will bring a good crowd to Gillette for UMass. This is their typical bs. They want to play us but only on their terms. Notre Dame has the pedigree to pull that off maybe. BC only does if we enable them. 2-2 or 1-1 even 1-1-1 (and I don't love neutral site games) but no to 3-2.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The other way to look at this is we are getting a garbage home game with UMass and 2 games with BC while the Beagles get the better of the deal with 2 games against us at home and only 1 on the road. Let's just keep the UMass series and add BC home-home. Reality is they would rather play us and can likely get it to count as a p5 to boot. We will bring a good crowd to Gillette for UMass. This is their typical bs. They want to play us but only on their terms. Notre Dame has the pedigree to pull that off maybe. BC only does if we enable them. 2-2 or 1-1 even 1-1-1 (and I don't love neutral site games) but no to 3-2.

We already played the UMass home game.

Reaction Score
Some have mentioned that the 2016 UMass game is a return game. That is not true. While UMass played at UConn during the P years, that was a one game series. The currently scheduled 2016 game is the first of a separate home and home series. They are scheduled to play at UConn in 2017.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Three in Chestnut Hill and two here? Fine. Not ideal, but acceptable. Perhaps by the time game five rolls around our situation will have changed and it'd be irrelevant where we play.

And when we renew the series, it will be 3 home for UConn and two for BCU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, I'd rather have 3 BC road games, 2 BC home games, than just keep 1 UMass road game at Gillette.
So you're OK with being raped again as long as the second go round isn't as bad as the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom