UConn Baseball vs. Northeastern | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball vs. Northeastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BHbhf7ICMAE3Qo-.jpg

Reaction Score
3 errors , 3 unearned runs. 3-0 Northeastern. At the plate more of the same 0-2 on first pitch contact, no patience.

Reaction Score
Leadoff double by Daniello to start the 5th thrown out at the plate on a hit by Verdi for the 3rd out. Unfortunately the 2 guys before couldn't get him over to 3rd. Testani strikes out and to be honest is a real liability at this point with his lack of contact and strike outs.

Reaction Score
Wow, if you listen to these games this team makes so many fundamental mistakes. Penders may be a good recruiter, but gee I really have to question his coaching abilities. I know we have a lot of young players but even still I put a lot of this on him.

Reaction Score
amen. he's smart and articulate but somehow his teaching gets lost in translation. particularly apparent with his catchers where he micromanages and makes them play tight and look at their performance. these kids are all first team all staters and they flounder under him. How can a catcher have 6 errors? never heard of such a thing as passed balls are not errors

Reaction Score
Wow, if you listen to these games this team makes so many fundamental mistakes. Penders may be a good recruiter, but gee I really have to question his coaching abilities. I know we have a lot of young players but even still I put a lot of this on him.

Are you talking coaching (instruction) or game strategy decisons? Example...?

Reaction Score
Game Notes:- Billy Ferriter’s one hit tied him for second all-time in program history with George Springer (09-11) with 242.
- Eric Yavarone registered his 10th multi-hit game of the season.
- UConn is 3-3 against teams from New England this year, having lost each of its last three.
- Stephen Catalina has allowed four runs this season; all unearned.
- Max McDowell threw out two potential base stealers in a game for the first time this season and has now thrown out six for the year.
- UConn is now 0-12 on the year when trailing after seven innings.

Reaction Score
instruction - im saying he is extremely tough and "technical" with his catchers such that thay are tight and not playing comfortably. going back a number of years, has not done a good job developing players at the postition he supposedly is an expert at. i think you have to take a look at their hitting instruction and scratch your head as well. kid like testani showed great promise last year, struggling this year. they doing anything to help the kid with his approach? they taking video and looking at it? uconn hitting instructor has a lifetime BA close to mendoza line and has the touch of an elephant

Reaction Score
instruction - im saying he is extremely tough and "technical" with his catchers such that thay are tight and not playing comfortably. going back a number of years, has not done a good job developing players at the postition he supposedly is an expert at. i think you have to take a look at their hitting instruction and scratch your head as well. kid like testani showed great promise last year, struggling this year. they doing anything to help the kid with his approach? they taking video and looking at it? uconn hitting instructor has a lifetime BA close to mendoza line and has the touch of an elephant

Tough to argue about recent past success of Ahmed, Andreoli, Springer, Olt, etc... were they just that more talented that it didn't matter?

I get frustrated w/ game strategies... aggressive running for one.

Reaction Score
i think what you suggest is true... and Olt made a great transition from short to third which coaches should be credited for. i was speaking mainly about the catchers and the possible reason for errors, not throwing out alot of runners, etc. ultimately, it is on the player to perform but how you handle a struggling player could be the difference between turning it around or having him go into the tank

Reaction Score
Are you talking coaching (instruction) or game strategy decisons? Example...?
I'm talking game strategy decisions. At times you need to take the aggressive approach at the plate away. If an opposing pitcher is struggling with control stop giving the green light on first pitch, maybe on a 2-0 count make them take a pitch. It just seems this team is so free swinging and they let the pitcher off the hook at times. Also, they are an aggressive baserunning team, but then there are times a speedy runner gets a lead off hit and before he gives them a chance to steal he will immediately sacrifice them over (if it works - our bunting has been a struggle at times). This team right now is struggling so much at the plate that they can't afford to give away outs, why not use speed to advanatge and let him steal 2nd then maybe sac him down to 3rd with 1 out where an out can get you a run. I'm just not seeing enough smart managerial thinking at times to generate runs when a teams offense is struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom