UConn Baseball Mid-Week Games ~ Northeastern (4/7) & University of Hartford (4/8) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Mid-Week Games ~ Northeastern (4/7) & University of Hartford (4/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Their bullpen's performance has been odd in that when given full innings they have had good results. But every reliever they use has control issues. When they come in with runners already on, it's a recipe for disaster.

Over has been solid but he has injury history. In some ways, this team is lucky to be where it is with regards to its record. Obviously Cross/Kay/Tabakman have been excellent but there's definitely room for improvement elsewhere. We'll see how good the team really is when they play UCF this weekend.

Edit: The funny thing is scoring 6 runs in the next 3 innings isn't even out of the question against a team like Hartford. The guy pitching right now has allowed 9 runs in 4 innings.

mets1090

Reaction Score
They were a gapper away from being down 3 but Melley flies out to end the threat and leave it at 6-1. Wouldn't count on them scoring 5 more in the next two innings but hey, you never know. Step 1 is holding them at 6.

UConn only has 3 relief pitchers that average less than a walk every 2 innings. Over (8.2 IP, 3 BB), Nepiarsky (1.0, 0) and Brown (2.0, 0). I know there's likely a reason why Nepiarsky and Brown haven't been given a chance in any meaningful innings, but at some point I would think you have to start working them in just to see how they do.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Hartford's newest pitcher has logged 9 innings this year while allowing 8 runs on 15 hits and 3 walks.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
They were a gapper away from being down 3 but Melley flies out to end the threat and leave it at 6-1. Wouldn't count on them scoring 5 more in the next two innings but hey, you never know. Step 1 is holding them at 6.

UConn only has 3 relief pitchers that average less than a walk every 2 innings. Over (8.2 IP, 3 BB), Nepiarsky (1.0, 0) and Brown (2.0, 0). I know there's likely a reason why Nepiarsky and Brown haven't been given a chance in any meaningful innings, but at some point I would think you have to start working them in just to see how they do.

I feel like Darras and Ruotolo are just plain overworked. Our bullpen this year seems to be much thinner than past years, and I'd like to see Brown and Nepiarsky get more work simply in order to keep everyone fresh.

Reaction Score
I feel like Darras and Ruotolo are just plain overworked. Our bullpen this year seems to be much thinner than past years, and I'd like to see Brown and Nepiarsky get more work simply in order to keep everyone fresh.
I agree and really would like to know why we haven't seen more of Brown this year. If he is not injured what is the story? He was actually pretty effective for us last year. I know games are going to go this way some times but just too many blown opportunities on offense. Deroche-Duffin is striking out more than I like. Have to cut down on swing with runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. Need to be making contact. Not good rhythm going into a weekend series on the road against the top team in the league.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/040815aaa.html

Stats:

Game Notes
UConn is now 36-14 all-time against Hartford
Jack Sundberg recorded his 50th career stolen bases in the first inning, he is the 10th Husky to achieve that milestone
Sundberg notched the first four-steal game for a Husky since Nick Ahmed at Georgetown in 2010
Willy Yahn recorded his eighth multi-hit game in his 15th career start

Up next, the Huskies return to league action with a three-game set at Central Florida. UConn and UCF will square off on Friday, April 10 at 6:30 p.m. before a 4 p.m. start on Saturday, Aprill 11 and a 1 p.m. series finale on Sunday, April 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom