Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
Perspective:

“This season has been a departure from what has become expected over the past decade-plus, particularly over the past five or so seasons. The last time UConn had a losing season was 2014, which is the only year with below 30 wins since 2008. Those two are the only times head coach Jim Penders has been below .500 since his first season at the helm. “

Reaction Score
Perspective:

“This season has been a departure from what has become expected over the past decade-plus, particularly over the past five or so seasons. The last time UConn had a losing season was 2014, which is the only year with below 30 wins since 2008. Those two are the only times head coach Jim Penders has been below .500 since his first season at the helm. “

Also since and including the 2010 season, UConn baseball has made the NCAA Tournament 9 out of 13 times. Not bad at all.

Reaction Score
Post game videos with Penders have been noticeably much more sparse than years past. Even two home games this week- no post game reaction. The frustration is mounting I’m sure but it’s quite a departure over previous seasons where it was an anomaly to not have a post game recap.

Reaction Score
These seasons happen
Perspective:

Post game videos with Penders have been noticeably much more sparse than years past. Even two home games this week- no post game reaction. The frustration is mounting I’m sure but it’s quite a departure over previous seasons where it was an anomaly to not have a post game recap.
Who else covers the baseball program, outside of Chris jones? I kinda find it odd myself there are no other interviews with coaches outside of the recaps I think ur referring to.

Reaction Score
Considering both Van Emon and Coe pitched in the game today against Northeastern, it would not surprise me if S. Quigley is the starting pitcher in the game on Monday, considering UConn baseball has no games to be played this Easter weekend.
I'm hoping if he pitches it's brief because I think he should be the Friday guy once the Big East schedule kicks in. Quigs, VanEmon, Coe would be ideal in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping if he pitches it's brief because I think he should be the Friday guy once the Big East schedule kicks in. Quigs, VanEmon, Coe would be ideal in my opinion.

I suspect that if he does pitch and pitch well on Monday, he will stay in for as long as he is effective. UConn baseball needs to get wins, that's for sure. I don't think there is any doubt that he will remain somewhere in the weekend starting rotation at this point, and that is the important thing.

Reaction Score
Big weekend series with Xavier this week…35 rpi, some midweeks to get thru first though. Should be a great BE battle

Reaction Score

Brady Afthim and Ian Cooke made this list.

Reaction Score

Brady Afthim and Ian Cooke made this list.
I was a little surprised to see Cooke on there although I’m rooting for him. I’m not shocked by Aftim, I’d just assume he wasn’t though, selfishly speaking as a fan, b/c I’d like to see him back next year. He really hasn’t pitched all that much in three seasons. Cooke can’t find a role on the staff, I think once that’s defined he might start to gain some confidence back. It’s a tough spot, he hasn’t shown he can be effective in a big spot, but maybe let him start the 9th with the lead and see what happens. Not an ideal strategy but who knows, Cooke’s ineffectiveness for 2 seasons has hurt em as a team and how it’s been constructed.

Reaction Score
@MarkyMark asked which players don't have any eligibility left after this season. As far as I can tell from what is listed in the UConn baseball 2024 Media Guide, this is the last season for the follow Grads and Seniors on the UConn baseball roster:

Studley
Tammaro
Broadhurst
Morton
Simmons
Malcom
Coe
S. Quigley
M. Quigley
Cinnella
Finnegan

The following Grad transfers have another season of eligibilty.

Shpur
Van Emon
Mayer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@MarkyMark asked which players don't have any eligibility left after this season. As far as I can tell from what is listed in the UConn baseball 2024 Media Guide, this is the last season for the follow Grads and Seniors on the UConn baseball roster:

Studley
Tammaro
Broadhurst
Morton
Simmons
Malcom
Coe
S. Quigley
M. Quigley
Cinnella
Finnegan

The following Grad transfers have another season of eligibilty.

Shpur
Van Emon
Mayer
Looking at this list, a lot to be determined going into next season. A whole bunch of unknowns. That isn’t always bad, but there will be a lot questions in a lot positions…not incl Daniels coming off hip surgery and 2 guys recovering from ucl tears. I’m hoping for a peaking team come postseason. Get in and see if they can make a run

Reaction Score
Big East Standings through 4/14/24:

IMG_0610.jpeg

Reaction Score
The UConn offense has come together pretty well in recent games. Now if the pitching can become more consistently solid, things could really become interesting in a positive way for UConn baseball this season.

Reaction Score
Georgetown has played and beat 3 Big East teams. The 3 teams that Georgetown beat are all at the bottom of the Big East standings.

Georgetown appears to be a good team, but it will be interesting to see how they do during the rest of their Big East schedule, when they are playing the better teams in the league as opposed to the teams that they have already played in the conference.

Reaction Score
The coaching staff this season has been very big at wanting lefty relief pitchers to face lefty hitters, and righty relievers to face strings of righty hitters. Due to this, a number of times this season we have seen relief pitchers facing only a few batters, and they are coming out of games even if they are recording outs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom