UConn Baseball 2014 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball11:46am via TweetDeck
#UConn received votes in the first national poll released today by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. #BleedBlue

http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-division-i/collegiate-baseball-2014-pre-season-div-i-poll/

UConnBaseball11:48am via TweetDeck
Four #UConn opponents are ranked in the top-40, led by Louisville (8) and Florida (16) who join Wichita State (34) and Coastal Carolina (40)

UConnBaseball11:51am via TweetDeck
Eight other #UConn opponents received votes in the poll: Auburn, Bryant, Houston, UCF, Ohio State, Stony Brook, USF, Rhode Island#BleedBlue

baseball.jpg

55 as of today!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are loaded in the pitching dep't. Hopefully, the hitters can produce. If so, we can go very far.

Reaction Score
UConn Baseball‏@UConnBaseball
#UConn's Carson Cross Preseason @American_Conf Co-Pitcher of the Year, Huskies tabbed second: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/122313aaa.html… pic.twitter.com/TVi4AXbhAb

baseball1.jpg

2014 Preseason American Athletic Conference Baseball Coaches’ Poll
*1. Louisville (8)
T2. Houston (1)
T2. UCF
T2. UConn
5. USF
6. Memphis
7. Rutgers
8. Cincinnati
9. Temple

*Unanimous Selection

Preseason American Athletic Conference Player of the Year:
Jeff Gardner, OF, Louisville

Preseason American Athletic Conference Pitchers of the Year:
Carson Cross, P, UConn AND Jimmy Herget, P, Louisville

2014 Preseason All-American Athletic Conference Team

P Carson Cross, RJr., UConn
P Anthony Kidston, So., Louisville
P Kyle Funkhouser, So., Louisville
P Jimmy Herget, So., USF
RP Nick Burdi, Jr., Louisville*
C Carter White, Jr., Memphis
1B Tucker Tubbs, Jr., Memphis
2B Nik Alonso, RSo., USF
SS Sutton Whitting, Jr., Louisville
3B Justin Montemayor, So., Houston *
OF Jeff Gardner, Sr., Louisville
OF Ian Happ, So., Cincinnati
OF Cole Sturgeon, Sr., Louisville
OF Vinny Zarrilo, Jr., Rutgers
DH Bret Gordon, Sr., UCF*

Reaction Score
Damn, as a Pirate fan I was really hoping we could have signed him last year. At least this is great news for UConn.

Reaction Score
Looks like pitching will be our strength with Cross, Ward and Marzi starting on the weekends . Mahoney and Tabakman out of the Pen and Coletti starting during the week. Unless a freshman or transfer breaks into the lineup, I guess the below 9 would probably be the front runners to start. Definitely going to miss LJ's production. Does anyone have insight or an opinion on any of the newcomers being able to crack the starting lineup ?

Infield - Melley, Siena, Verdi and Daniello
Outfield - Yavarone, Testani and Sunberg
Catcher - Mc Dowell

Reaction Score
Looks like pitching will be our strength with Cross, Ward and Marzi starting on the weekends . Mahoney and Tabakman out of the Pen and Coletti starting during the week. Unless a freshman or transfer breaks into the lineup, I guess the below 9 would probably be the front runners to start. Definitely going to miss LJ's production. Does anyone have insight or an opinion on any of the newcomers being able to crack the starting lineup ?

Catcher - Mc Dowell
Penders on 'TIC with JoeD a month or two ago, said Zapata, Kay, & Ruotolo were impressive enough to be signed up for this summers Cape league. He also said that Sullivan has outstanding power potential.
During scout day, in Sept., Penders was quoted, in the Htfd. Courant, that Olmstead, when he makes contact, the ball has a much different sound, than that of most others. Olmstead was drafted in the 12th round by the Rangers. Kay, drafted in the 29th round by the Mets. Fortunately, both passed on MLB. UConn wasn't so fortunate with Milone as he was drafted in the 4th round and signed with the D-Backs.
Penders will have similar concerns over the next few years. Gorgas is projected to go within the 1st 5 rounds this June. Rossomondo is projected to go higher in the 2015 draft. Penders can recruit, hopefully he can convince most of these highly rated kids to wait 3 years before signing. He has Springer, Ahmed, Olt, & Barnes as proof positive.
I'm sure these high potential draft picks will follow Milone's early progress before deciding.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
On paper Louisville is stocked. Their 2 pitchers and 4 position players on the preseason list account for 40% of the list. This includes the pre-season player of the year and co-preseason pitcher of the year. Yikes!

Reaction Score
JonesCcj2:57pm via Web
On transfer front for UConn Nico Darras, transfer from Cal St Fullerton, May have a better shot at being eligible then I originally thought

JonesCcj2:58pm via Web
I thought probably 80/20 that he wouldn't play but it looks more like a 50/50 shot. But who knows with the NCAA. They can rule at anytime

JonesCcj2:59pm via Web
Darras would add some more pop to the UConn lineup. He is a corner infielder and can play outfield as well.

Reaction Score
This guy can hit. He batted .350 with 3 hr's in the NE summer league. Connor David, Yavaronne, & Testani all batted just above .200 in the same league. We can use all the help in the batters box that we can get.

Reaction Score
This guy can hit. He batted .350 with 3 hr's in the NE summer league. Connor David, Yavaronne, & Testani all batted just above .200 in the same league. We can use all the help in the batters box that we can get.
I do not have much knowledge of skill level of incoming players. It would be interesting to see some projected lineups from posters on this board with some info on incoming recruits. Looks like pitching will be very strong, but a little worried about the offense.

Reaction Score
I do not have much knowledge of skill level of incoming players. It would be interesting to see some projected lineups from posters on this board with some info on incoming recruits. Looks like pitching will be very strong, but a little worried about the offense.

If you missed it - there is some info on in coming recruits in this thread. (http://the-boneyard.com/threads/baseball-recruiting-and-commitment-thread.18568/page-5#post-640487) - go to the end and scroll backwards as it spans tow years or so. I wanna see if Zach Risedorf can fight his way into the order as DH (he's primarily as catcher). He's got some pop as the video shows.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Catcher - Mc Dowell

May as well spend part of a snowy evening thinking about baseball. I would consider Cross and Marzi certainties for weekend starts unless injured. I'm not so sure about Ward. The last two seasons he began in the weekend rotation, but due to injuries and/or ineffectiveness has not been there at the end. Tabakman is sort of a wildcard. He was quite effective as both a closer and a weekend starter last season. I'm inclined to use Tabakman as a starter, with Ward getting weekday starts, and Mahoney as the closer. There will be plenty of bullpen opportunities for newcomers and other unestablished pitchers to show what they got.

As for the starting lineup, I don't think much can be is set in stone with all the talented freshmen and transfers coming into the program. The only veterans that I would consider a sure thing to be starters are Verdi, Siena, and McDowell. I'm guessing Darras will start if he is eligible, either at first base or the outfield. Yavarone and Testani could be especially vulnerable to newcomers challenging them for a spot in the outfield.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if Penders released the 2014 roster. Usually he releases a fall roster. This year he didn't. Sometimes he treats info on recruits and current players like CIA. He may wait until all are back for 2nd semester. Last year 2-3 frosh didn't make it to 2nd semester. This could be his reason, this year, for secretiveness.

Reaction Score
Amyone going to the baseball dinner tomorrow before the Louisville game? Would be interested to hear how that is and what the take is on the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Amyone going to the baseball dinner tomorrow before the Louisville game? Would be interested to hear how that is and what the take is on the upcoming season.
A friend of mine, whose son was on last years team, will be attending. I was with him earlier and I asked if he had heard anything in regards to new players that may contribute. Told me he was going to try to find out this evening. I will pass along any info I get

Reaction Score
JonesCcj2:57pm via Web
On transfer front for UConn Nico Darras, transfer from Cal St Fullerton, May have a better shot at being eligible then I originally thought

JonesCcj2:58pm via Web
I thought probably 80/20 that he wouldn't play but it looks more like a 50/50 shot. But who knows with the NCAA. They can rule at anytime

JonesCcj2:59pm via Web
Darras would add some more pop to the UConn lineup. He is a corner infielder and can play outfield as well.

JonesCcj11:46pm via Twitter for Android
Great news for @UConnBaseball Nico Darras cleared to play. Congrats @NicoDarras. Transfer from cal state fullerton

BONUS!!

Reaction Score
I am guessing Darras will play outfield for the huskies? Yavarone is only returning every day outfielder. Unless meley goes to dh, I can not see him playing anywhere but 1b

Reaction Score
I am guessing Darras will play outfield for the huskies? Yavarone is only returning every day outfielder. Unless meley goes to dh, I can not see him playing anywhere but 1b

Testani was also a starter in the outfield more often than not last season. Both Yavarone and Testani are Juniors, and neither of them had stellar years at the bat last season, so it is quite possible that they might lose their starting jobs to either Darras or to incoming freshmen outfielders. With the various incoming players, there seems to be a lot of competition for starting positions on this team.

Reaction Score
JonesCcj11:24am via web
At Banquet last night, Warde Manuel said architect is coming to sketch and get price of potential stadium for UConn baseball. No timetable

JonesCcj11:25am via web
Hockey will be the next upgrade on the list. I wouldn't say a stadium for baseball is coming anytime soon. Meaning guys currently on team

JonesCcj11:27am via web
The move to the AAC may help progress things. ECU, Tulane, UCF, Houston all have solid facilities. Haven't seen Memphis but prob good too

I think getting the plans and price tag out there is an important step. Gotta put the visual target out there. Never know what "MLB Husky" may help start the ball rolling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69