UConn/ACC | Page 23 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would hope that the admins there have learned that pride comes before a fall. Otherwise, it would be a long road back. For everyone's sake, as well.

Anyway, news on the ACC/ND scheduling agreement:

The ACC and Notre Dame are expected to finalize details for the remainder of their 60-game contract soon. ACC senior associate commissioner Michael Strickland said the conference will likely have dates and sites for the fourth, fifth and six years of the deal and years and sites for the back half of the contract. Under the agreement, which begins this year, Notre Dame will play every ACC school four times, home and away, through 2025. The ACC-Notre Dame games have already been scheduled for 2014-2016.

An announcement could come in August.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...ized/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_sports_sfp
Can we get conspiracy kitty to review the math on this one?

pj

Reaction Score
Can we get conspiracy kitty to review the math on this one?

"The ACC and Notre Dame are expected to finalize details for the remainder of their 60-game contract soon. ACC senior associate commissioner Michael Strickland said the conference will likely have dates and sites for the fourth, fifth and six years of the deal and years and sites for the back half of the contract. Under the agreement, which begins this year, Notre Dame will play every ACC school four times, home and away, through 2025. The ACC-Notre Dame games have already been scheduled for 2014-2016."​

Conspiracy Kitty says, it's a 60-game contract with 4 games against each ACC school. 60/4 = 15. So the ACC is expecting to have 15 teams through much of the contract period.

tl4ed4437a.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says, it's going to be tough for our athletes to have to play in the B1G and ACC at the same time!

Reaction Score
The more I think about the possibility of joining the B1G the less I like it. I mean sure I'd be pretty happy if it were announced today that we don't have to play in the American anymore, but I really hope we get into the ACC eventually. I don't care about the B1G programs. Sure it's fun to change it up and play them every now and again, but imagine playing Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, Pitt, UNC, BC, etc etc every year. Those are games with history and venom. Those are the games you want to see every year as the meat and potatoes of a football/basketball schedule.

Reaction Score
The more I think about the possibility of joining the B1G the less I like it. I mean sure I'd be pretty happy if it were announced today that we don't have to play in the American anymore, but I really hope we get into the ACC eventually. I don't care about the B1G programs. Sure it's fun to change it up and play them every now and again, but imagine playing Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, Pitt, UNC, BC, etc etc every year. Those are games with history and venom. Those are the games you want to see every year as the meat and potatoes of a football/basketball schedule.

ACC = Rat faced f---s.

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
The ACC for basketball would be okay. For football it's the Big a East redux.
Only one football team in that conference gets the state of Ct interested in Football.
Even FSU was a commuter school until the 1960's.
We've played all those schools in football as the fans in Ct slept.
The most excitement ever for a UConn football game was Mich.
That game took place at a low point for Football in the state. Imagine the price of tickets with a decent coach.
Sorry the ACC just doesn 't do it.
The Best team far in away in the ACC is FSU, in Ct BC would be number two,
After we beat them 5 years in a row that game would be a bore. Rutgers actually has bigger potential as the battle for NY. Especially in western Ct.
Everyone else Is a yawner in the ACC.
Compare
Penn State,OSU,Mich,Nebraska,
MSU,Wisc,Iowa,Rutgers,Maryland
Indiana,Purdue,Minn,NWL.,Ill.

Reaction Score
Well put you're hat in hand and check with Swoffy....he might be able to use you in his PR dept!?! He needs it here in B1G country....talk about historic.

Reaction Score
I simply feel that, geographically and culturally, UConn has no business in a league dominated by midwestern football powerhouse schools that we have little to no history with.

My opinion of John Swofford doesn't factor into which schools I want to see us play on a regular basis. We have great rivalries with schools I love to hate, and I'd love to see those rivalries sustained well into the future.

I also disagree with the idea that an ACC football schedule couldn't fill the Rent. Success on the field is what is going to ultimately bring people to games. UConn could quickly become a real competitor in the ACC. I love UConn as much as anyone, but getting into the B1G does NOT mean we'd ever be a true football competitor in the B1G. I am not interested in being a perennial bottom dweller in a football obsessed conference.

The ACC would give us time to grow our football program and have some success, which would lead to better recruiting, which would lead to more success.

Wanting UConn to join the B1G because ACC football just isn't "good enough" for our program (which as you may recall has gone 13-23 against mediocre competition in the past 3 years) is absurd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I simply feel that, geographically and culturally, UConn has no business in a league dominated by midwestern football powerhouse schools that we have little to no history with.

My opinion of John Swofford doesn't factor into which schools I want to see us play on a regular basis. We have great rivalries with schools I love to hate, and I'd love to see those rivalries sustained well into the future.

I also disagree with the idea that an ACC football schedule couldn't fill the Rent. Success on the field is what is going to ultimately bring people to games. UConn could quickly become a real competitor in the ACC. I love UConn as much as anyone, but getting into the B1G does NOT mean we'd ever be a true football competitor in the B1G. I am not interested in being a perennial bottom dweller in a football obsessed conference.

The ACC would give us time to grow our football program and have some success, which would lead to better recruiting, which would lead to more success.

Wanting UConn to join the B1G because ACC football just isn't "good enough" for our program (which as you may recall has gone 13-23 against mediocre competition in the past 3 years) is absurd.
I don't believe that UConn would turn down an invite to the ACC at this time. A successful and dynamic football program and team would fill the Rent no matter whom they are playing.

Reaction Score

Based on your argument, we should have dropped out of the Big East in BB after Perno's four loosing seasons in a row. Maybe the A10 is were we belonged.
Okay somewhat of a straw-man but we did have some fans with that position.
BC has floundered in the ACC because of lack of culturally identify among other things. How would they be doing in the B1G. Its a scary thought.
Culturally we have much more in common with the Midwest than the south.
Especially the eastern Midwest. Northern Ohio was considered Connecticut's Western Reserve.
Northern Ohio,northern Ind,and Mich were populated by New England settlers, many towns bear the same names as their New England homes.Even in the last great European migration ,the industrial areas in New England,and the Midwest were favorite destinations. Families often splitting. Illinois and Connecticut both have large Polish populations. Groups bring their culture with them and to a degree change the existing culture. The same can be said for,the Irish,Germans,Italians and Jews.
Until the last 30 years finding a Catholic Church south of Maryland was difficult.
The B1G is a much better cultural fit. Will it be in 20 years? I don 't know.

Reaction Score

Thank you. ACC is a better fit for UConn, long term. Btw, the Maryland lawsuit was settled today.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/agreement_08-08-14_lryjmo

I believe that the ACC is strong going forward. Both Maryland and the B1G realize it and decided not to fight this any further. The money isn't the biggest deal it is that everyone else agreed to commit to the conference with the Grant of Rights, just like the B1G, B12 and PAC-12 did similarly.

amory, I hope wiser heads prevail within the ACC and UConn would be the next one called up.

Reaction Score
Thank you. ACC is a better fit for UConn, long term. Btw, the Maryland lawsuit was settled today.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/agreement_08-08-14_lryjmo

I believe that the ACC is strong going forward. Both Maryland and the B1G realize it and decided not to fight this any further. The money isn't the biggest deal it is that everyone else agreed to commit to the conference with the Grant of Rights, just like the B1G, B12 and PAC-12 did similarly.

amory, I hope wiser heads prevail within the ACC and UConn would be the next one called up.
Trouble is though its tough associating the word wisdom with the ACC in CR moves??

Reaction Score
Both Maryland and the B1G realize it and decided not to fight this any further. The money isn't the biggest deal it is that everyone else agreed to commit to the conference with the Grant of Rights, just like the B1G, B12 and PAC-12 did similarly.

The ACC shoots for $52 million and settles for $31 million because Maryland just gave up?

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
The ACC for basketball would be okay. For football it's the Big a East redux.
Only one football team in that conference gets the state of Ct interested in Football.
Even FSU was a commuter school until the 1960's.
We've played all those schools in football as the fans in Ct slept.
The most excitement ever for a UConn football game was Mich.
That game took place at a low point for Football in the state. Imagine the price of tickets with a decent coach.
Sorry the ACC just doesn 't do it.
The Best team far in away in the ACC is FSU, in Ct BC would be number two,
After we beat them 5 years in a row that game would be a bore. Rutgers actually has bigger potential as the battle for NY. Especially in western Ct.
Everyone else Is a yawner in the ACC.
Compare
Penn State,OSU,Mich,Nebraska,
MSU,Wisc,Iowa,Rutgers,Maryland
Indiana,Purdue,Minn,NWL.,Ill.
If by slept you mean sold out nearly every game.

Reaction Score
I love the cost of this..$17.2 Million...just like Jerry jones paid less for Jerry land than the Giants & Jets paid for Met Life (which is significantly smaller than Jerry Land). But as Jones told a friend of mine last year in his box during a game...if he had built his place in the northeast it would have been the most expensive sports stadium ever. The cost of living up here makes all of our projects more expensive..we all know that. That is one thing that MD and RU (especially RU) will have to deal with in keeping up with the Jones's of the B1G. It's all just the cost of doing business I guess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Being in league predominently consisting of land grant institutions, with best TV deal and all the stablility that goes along with that, seems to me to be a better choice than being in an odd conglomeration of publics and privates, with the worst TV deal of the major conferences and with ND having one foot in the door and the other out. We've already done the latter and it didn't turn out so well the last time.

If the ACC offers tomorrow I'd take it in an instant, but if I have a choice the B1G seems to be the smarter long term decision.

Reaction Score
http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/174594

John Thrasher, president of Florida State University, said ACC presidents will meet next week and among the topic is an ACC Network.

“There is a lot of work that has got to go into it. You think of the number of states you would have to bring together; the cable networks and all of that,” said Thrasher. “It’s a very complex operation but we met with one of the consultants and we’re excited about it.”

The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference. Meanwhile the market is booming; demand among advertisers has never been higher, as seen in the astronomical rights fees broadcasters are paying.

“Revenue, revenue, revenue, you’ve got to look for revenue in this business and that (an ACC Network) is certainly one,” said Thrasher. “I think it has been pretty successful for the Southeastern Conference and the ones out west. So, we’re excited.”

Put Cincinnati and UConn in this league and watch this puppy sprint (pun slightly intended). ;)

Reaction Score
http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/174594

John Thrasher, president of Florida State University, said ACC presidents will meet next week and among the topic is an ACC Network.

“There is a lot of work that has got to go into it. You think of the number of states you would have to bring together; the cable networks and all of that,” said Thrasher. “It’s a very complex operation but we met with one of the consultants and we’re excited about it.”

The ACC broadcast footprint stretches from Boston to Miami and the Atlantic to Ohio and has more television households and population than any other conference. Meanwhile the market is booming; demand among advertisers has never been higher, as seen in the astronomical rights fees broadcasters are paying.

“Revenue, revenue, revenue, you’ve got to look for revenue in this business and that (an ACC Network) is certainly one,” said Thrasher. “I think it has been pretty successful for the Southeastern Conference and the ones out west. So, we’re excited.”

Put Cincinnati and UConn in this league and watch this puppy sprint (pun slightly intended). ;)

I hate the ACC as much as any other UConn fan, but if they offered we'd clearly have to accept it....or use it to parlay an invite from the B1G!

Reaction Score
Agreed...But never gonna happen

Yes while I have come to the realization that this won't happen, I still can't believe that our athletic program has been relegated to conference purgatory while lesser programs get to enjoy the financial windfall of the P5

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
I hate the ACC as much as any other UConn fan, but if they offered we'd clearly have to accept it....or use it to parlay an invite from the B1G!
Think I would just suck it up and go with the ACC. Probably the smart play. Forget the B1G.

Reaction Score
FSU can go to he** and take BCU with them.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Agreed...But never gonna happen
Hey roomie, let's start the new year off being kinder and gentler. The man's got a plan and a dream and you're smacking it down like a whack-a-mole game. We're so close to MLK Day. Let @1999.2004.2011 have his dream. I too will embrace that dream. We just need 1 domino to fall. Personally, I'm clinging to VTech wanting to make more money in the B1G and we join with them. Unfounded and unlikely, but it gives me hope.

Reaction Score
Hey roomie, let's start the new year off being kinder and gentler. The man's got a plan and a dream and you're smacking it down like a whack-a-mole game. We're so close to MLK Day. Let @1999.2004.2011 have his dream. I too will embrace that dream. We just need 1 domino to fall. Personally, I'm clinging to VTech wanting to make more money in the B1G and we join with them. Unfounded and unlikely, but it gives me hope.

I'm a Boston sports fan to a fault, making me pessimistic in nature. That being said, after Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS against the Yankees, I learned that you can't ever give up hope. You just gotta believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom