UConn/ACC | Page 22 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The funny thing is they'll never find a better recruiter than London and if HE could invest some money in a decent X and O guy they wouldnt need a HC just 2 top coordinaters O and D or ST's.... he's sort a like a PSU's Franklin as a recruiter. Of course thats where the B1G wants to expand!! btw,It already grabbed the MidAtlantic which was plan A with ND along with Md/RU and after they grab NE/Boston with UConn....where else can the go? Cali? Texas? Va/NC make good business sense which the ACC don't seem to use in their add's of isolated pockets that are headscratchers!?! I mean you have Md/Del/NJ/NYC/Conn/RI laying there and you go up to Onandaga county,NY and Erie county,Pa for add's? The foundation should have been laid first!!! You guys had a shot at the jackpot and settled for orange peels!

London is a fantastic recruiter. But at some point the man wearing the headset on the sidelines needs to run the show during the game well enough to win. It just all boils down to that.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to the Virginia Cavaliers football team this upcoming year during their OOC games, as well as the ACC Conference season.

Thank you. We're going to need it. UCLA and at Florida State already look a bit challenging. I just hope they can beat Kent State and Richmond. I'm not optimistic unfortunately. Good Luck to your team.

Reaction Score
Why thank you!

I'll be attending the game at Lucas Oil Stadium vs non-football/partial ACC member/power/molester Notre Dame.

Can't wait to throw a cup full of piss on the first person I see wearing an ND sweatshirt with an IU hat.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. UVA isn't using geography to their advantage because of their commitment to an also-ran conference. Not sure "decent" is the modifier you want applied to a conference leader.

UNC is the conference leader (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little). UVa is not a charter member and technically not a conference leader. The conference leaders in my mind are Clemson, UNC, Duke, NCSU and to some extent Wake. UMCP used to be one. But to the contrary, FSU is emerging as a conference leader with bullying tactics.

Reaction Score
Why thank you!

I'll be attending the game at Lucas Oil Stadium vs non-football/partial ACC member/power/molester Notre Dame.

Can't wait to throw a cup full of piss on the first person I see wearing an ND sweatshirt with an IU hat.

Didn't realize Purdue was a piss throwing crowd. I thought that was just a WVU thing. Learn something new every day.

Reaction Score
No, Purdue is not a piss throwing crowd, nor am I a piss throwing Boilermaker.

I was simply using the throwing of urine as a metaphor to describe my disdain for Hoosier/Domers. It's a sickness among a particular segment of the Indiana population.

It was only in jest my good man. Please, carry on...

Reaction Score
Why thank you!

Red Card.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Butch Davis and all the "perks" he gave to hired guns at NC couldnt do it..who can? Have you read the papers recently about academic scandals?

Butch Davis was counter-productive. UNC crushed Cinci in a bowl last year and finished 5-1. They will be good this year. They have more resources than any other school in the conference. If they can get a string of success going, it can snowball and they could become elite fairly quickly.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Butch Davis was counter-productive. UNC crushed Cinci in a bowl last year and finished 5-1. They will be good this year. They have more resources than any other school in the conference. If they can get a string of success going, it can snowball and they could become elite fairly quickly.

Name me one basketball first school that has a traditionally great football program. Not one that pops up every couple of years, but one that has had many sustained success.

BTW - As a Detroit Lions fan, I know the what if game and this year we will be good game.

Reaction Score
The ACC has simply become more diluted as CR has progressed. There are only 2 state flagship universities in the ACC - UVA and UNC The rest is a mishmash. There are a number of decent, "second" state u's like FSU, Clemson, VT, NCST, a bunch of privates of varying pedigree from Duke on the high side to Syracuse on the low side, a couple of public, city based schools ranging from Pitt to (OMG) Louisville, a couple of catholic schools - one with a deal unique to it only. The ACC has the potential to become the P-5 equivalent of the Balkan states - we'll see.

The B1G? 14 members - 11 flagships, 2 reputable public u's, one "Duke like" private. A much better fit for us.

Reaction Score
Let me run a couple of ideas by you. NBC Sports/Comcast has Notre Dame's home football games. Since NBC/Comcast missed out on the Big East/AAC, and they are still starved for College Athletics content to go with the English Premier League. What would you think of the idea of NBC Sports picking up a P5 conference to go with Notre Dame Football to have a Conference Channel with Notre Dame football with automatic distribution on Comcast nationwide at good rates, and their confidence in getting other cable subscribers to pick it up? There might be a conference out there that Notre Dame knows who might have some good content for such a channel, and they can introduce NBC to that group since they know them to make an offer. But that conference might already be in a contract with ESPN/Disney that can be renegotiated in 2017 open to competition with a NBC bid. That bunch, ESPN/Disney, just launched a SEC channel that looks successful so far. What about that bunch talking their two conferences SEC and ACC into a scheduling alliance where ESPN/Disney can have two conference channels and show games from teams of both conferences on the two channels getting both good distribution in the combined states of the two conferences?

Nah. Just rumor mill stuff. Nevermind. The Big Ten is going to rule the industry, and everyone wants to join.
...and you are trusting the Judas University to play nice, help craft a contract that allows this hypothetical P5 conference be added to their resume. Hmmm, now if you don't sound like some of the Old Big East Schools that had hoped for the same thing. Only ND kept holding the Big East back but please on this board continue to spout this drivel, we Uconn fans have never ever heard anything like this before - YAWN, you really are an arrogant BLANK, the blank may not be a bad word, I suggest you talk to your ND brethren, I am sure they will have nice words for you on their board!

Reaction Score
CBS's Dennis Dodd agrees with upstater. He said on the Tim Brando Show at noon today, that the B1G's targeting UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, & N.D. As I said in another thread, he feels that the B1G whiffed on previous attempts to corral these institutions & is working behind the scenes to get them should they have a change of heart.

I wouldn't trust a word he says. He writes in a way that attracts hits on his blog. Dennis loves to stir up *#8t.

Let me offer up a quote, since people keep harping on the ND/ACC partnership:

Let's not overlook what the semi-addition of Notre Dame has already done for the league's exposure, either. As part of Notre Dame's ACC agreement, the Irish can take an ACC team's place in a non-access bowl if their record is better than, equal to or within one win of the ACC team -- or if the Irish are ranked higher. The Irish would share in the revenues of the non-access bowl. And, well, what do you know? The ACC bowl lineup that starts this year -- the same year that the Irish begin their football partnership with the league -- is deeper and better than before, with the Capital One Bowl and New Era Pinstripe Bowl among the league's new 13 postseason partners. Some coincidence.

Sure, Notre Dame could upset an expected national title contender like Florida State this year and potentially ruin the league's chance at reaching the four-team College Football Playoff, but "potentially" is the key word there. The Seminoles have, after all, opened as 24-point favorites over the Irish, so there really shouldn't be much to worry about. And heck, it's not like Notre Dame hasn't beaten FSU when it supposedly mattered before, only to see the Noles crowned as national champions later. (Lest we forget about the '93 Game of the Century.)

And if the Irish were to win in Tallahassee? Well, chances are they would be having a really good season then. Playoff good. Which would mean one less spot in the ACC bowl lineup for them to take from a team with the same or better record. And, perhaps, give the ACC an even stronger presence in the playoff, which is supposed to reward strength of schedule, meaning a 12-1 FSU team with nonconference wins over Oklahoma State and Florida would, theoretically, still have a very strong case.

A case strengthened by Notre Dame.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=acc&i=TWT&id=72602&w=1e8y3&src=desktop

Let's say the ND decides to enter a different partnership when the contract ends. It wouldn't be the worst outcome and we might even come out it stronger. With VT, FSU, Clemson, hopefully Miami will be stronger and Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, GT be competitive enough in the long-term. UConn in the ACC would be enhancing the presence in the Northeast to add to the presence in the Southeast. Hopefully, by then, the petty small-minded types would be removed from the athletic departments and replaced by people who look at the strength of the conference as a whole.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I wouldn't trust a word he says. He writes in a way that attracts hits on his blog. Dennis loves to stir up *#8t.

Let me offer up a quote, since people keep harping on the ND/ACC partnership:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=acc&i=TWT&id=72602&w=1e8y3&src=desktop

Let's say the ND decides to enter a different partnership when the contract ends. It wouldn't be the worst outcome and we might even come out it stronger. With VT, FSU, Clemson, hopefully Miami will be stronger and Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, GT be competitive enough in the long-term. UConn in the ACC would be enhancing the presence in the Northeast to add to the presence in the Southeast. Hopefully, by then, the petty small-minded types would be removed from the athletic departments and replaced by people who look at the strength of the conference as a whole.

That link is supposed to sway me? One person saying the jury is still out and the other saying it will help FSU if they are up to their top 25 ranking. Yet, they are 24 point underdogs to FSU. Yet, if they are really good and get into the playoffs, they may have taken a spot from an ACC team that won their CCG. That would be lousy, especially if said team did not play ND that year. Hey, the ND association give us more exposure and, if no other team earns their way in, ND slips right in. Unless the announcers constantly state that they are The ACC champs and wear The ACC logo on their uniforms, most casual college football fans don't realize that ND has a scheduling agreement with ND. Remember, what does ND hold most dear to them? Does it help from a strength of schedule aspect? Maybe. Then again, with the exception of 2012, they haven't really lit the college football world on fire since Lou Holtz retired.

Then theres this quote from your link:

ESPN said:
Let's not overlook what the semi-addition of Notre Dame has already done for the league's exposure, either. As part of Notre Dame's ACC agreement, the Irish can take an ACC team's place in a non-access bowl if their record is better than, equal to or within one win of the ACC team -- or if the Irish are ranked higher. The Irish would share in the revenues of the non-access bowl. And, well, what do you know? The ACC bowl lineup that starts this year -- the same year that the Irish begin their football partnership with the league -- is deeper and better than before, with the Capital One Bowl and New Era Pinstripe Bowl among the league's new 13 postseason partners. Some coincidence.

Huh? Taking a high profile bowl game like The Capitol One Bowl (New Years Day Bowl) or The Pin Stripe Bowl (In NYC) from an ACC team is a good thing? I don't understand. Taking exposure away from schools that want it on a national stage is good for the league? It's a great deal for ND. They get a piece of the non-access bowl games and a guaranteed spot if they don't get a better offer. Nice set up, for ND.

Football success is based on coaching and recruiting. If VT can replace Beamer (and hold on to) a great coach, VT will be fine. FSU will always be FSU as long as they have a competent coach. Clemson hasn't done Jack since '81. Miami? The only time they are competitive is when they are cheating. Louisville will be good as long as they have a great coach (and Petino doesn't take any more motorcycle rides with mistresses), but how can Pitt improve when they are in the wasteland of the Rust Belt? With the shift away from the midwest, how can they build their program? 'Cuse? My guess is they will have a hard time getting back to what they were in the '90's. ND isn't helping with that at all.

The petty, small-minded people in your AD offices are looking out for what's best for their schools. What's best for UVA is different that what's best for FSU. Yes, all conferences are like that. Michigan has different needs than Indiana. Alabama has different needs than Vanderbilt. That being said, Michigan and Indiana have many things that keep them together: academic relationship within The CiC, same regional and institutional culture, The BTN. Neither school could make what they are making on their own. How does the fractured ACC help each individual faction? What does UVA and Louisville have in common? What does FSU and 'Cuse have in common? How about GT and BC? Those petty-small minded people know what their school wants. Remember, the athletic department serves the school as a whole, not the other way around. The culture of the institution sets the path of the AD. If there are petty-small minded people running the show now, the same type of people will be there when the contract runs out.

Reaction Score
...and you are trusting the Judas University to play nice, help craft a contract that allows this hypothetical P5 conference be added to their resume. Hmmm, now if you don't sound like some of the Old Big East Schools that had hoped for the same thing. Only ND kept holding the Big East back but please on this board continue to spout this drivel, we Uconn fans have never ever heard anything like this before - YAWN, you really are an arrogant BLANK, the blank may not be a bad word, I suggest you talk to your ND brethren, I am sure they will have nice words for you on their board!

What I was referring to would be executed by NBC Sports rather than Notre Dame. Notre Dame and NBC have already agreed to license ND football games to a possible ACC Channel with ESPN, so if they agree to doing it with ESPN, doing it on NBC instead doesn't bother them as long as they aren't represented as a football member. They might even want to put Hockey East stuff on it. Boston College might as well. Who knows?

I know a lot of former Big East fans and UConn fans don't like Notre Dame and complain about the relationship they had in the Big East and feel betrayed, but their presence did allow the Big East to have the Gator Bowl. That bowl wouldn't have signed with the Big East if Notre Dame wasn't a choice for them every few years. Same thing now for the ACC with the Gator Bowl and Capital One Bowl. Would it be better if they were full members for ACC football? Sure. But I don't lose sleep over it. They've never played a football game in Virginia. I think it kind of nice that they now will be doing so. I try to look at the positive with Notre Dame. But they do look out for themselves first. You aren't wrong about that.

Reaction Score
Name me one basketball first school that has a traditionally great football program. Not one that pops up every couple of years, but one that has had many sustained success.

BTW - As a Detroit Lions fan, I know the what if game and this year we will be good game.
UNC has never had a "GREAT" football tradition but they haven't been terrible either. We just hired a sub par AD after Swofford & allowed him to stay to long. He hired 2 bad coaches in a row & the third helped get us in the mess we have now. He almost screwed up the bball program & how is that possible at a blue blood program?

dayooper

Reaction Score
UNC has never had a "GREAT" football tradition but they haven't been terrible either. We just hired a sub par AD after Swofford & allowed him to stay to long. He hired 2 bad coaches in a row & the third helped get us in the mess we have now. He almost screwed up the bball program & how is that possible at a blue blood program?

Thanks for the perspective. No, they haven't been terrible, but they haven't been great either. UNC has won 5 ACC football championships, the last being in 1980. I do remember them being in "Judgement Day" in 1997 when four of the top five rated (and all unbeaten) played on the same day. They have had some nice players come into the NFL. My Lions drafted Eric Ebron this year. I hope they don't ruin his career before it even starts.

Trust me, I feel your pain on ADs being around too long. Michigan hasn't had a popular on in decades. Tom Goss was a disaster, Bill Martin had a hard time finding a football coach (he did hire Coach Beilein, though) and current AD Dave Brandon is alienating everyone.

Reaction Score
What I was referring to would be executed by NBC Sports rather than Notre Dame. Notre Dame and NBC have already agreed to license ND football games to a possible ACC Channel with ESPN, so if they agree to doing it with ESPN, doing it on NBC instead doesn't bother them as long as they aren't represented as a football member. They might even want to put Hockey East stuff on it. Boston College might as well. Who knows?

I know a lot of former Big East fans and UConn fans don't like Notre Dame and complain about the relationship they had in the Big East and feel betrayed, but their presence did allow the Big East to have the Gator Bowl. That bowl wouldn't have signed with the Big East if Notre Dame wasn't a choice for them every few years. Same thing now for the ACC with the Gator Bowl and Capital One Bowl. Would it be better if they were full members for ACC football? Sure. But I don't lose sleep over it. They've never played a football game in Virginia. I think it kind of nice that they now will be doing so. I try to look at the positive with Notre Dame. But they do look out for themselves first. You aren't wrong about that.

The Gator Bowl? That's like saying, "I know they shivved your dog, but remember that bag of M&Mds they gave you?"

Reaction Score
UNC has never had a "GREAT" football tradition but they haven't been terrible either.

I've never understood UNC football. Year after year they grab great 5-star talent but always seem to underachieve except for the '97 team. They consistently steal high profile prospects from UVa and VT in the 757 area. This year might be a good year for the Heels in football though... but not good enough to beat FSU in the ACCCG.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the perspective. No, they haven't been terrible, but they haven't been great either. UNC has won 5 ACC football championships, the last being in 1980. I do remember them being in "Judgement Day" in 1997 when four of the top five rated (and all unbeaten) played on the same day. They have had some nice players come into the NFL. My Lions drafted Eric Ebron this year. I hope they don't ruin his career before it even starts.

Trust me, I feel your pain on ADs being around too long. Michigan hasn't had a popular one in decades. Tom Goss was a disaster, Bill Martin had a hard time finding a football coach (he did hire Coach Beilein, though) and current AD Dave Brandon is alienating everyone.
Add the many competing factions within UNC doesn't help either. Some would rather adopt the Ivy League model & some want to be more like the SEC or B12

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Given the "credits for not showing up" educational method employed by the athletic dept., how did he manage to only "almost" screw up? How is it he didn't thoroughly screw up?

Reaction Score
[QUOathletic steredUconn, post: 1024158, member: 1477"]Given the "credits for not showing up" educational method employed by the athletic dept., how did he manage to only "almost" screw up? How is it he didn't thoroughly screw up?[/QUOTE]
The athletic dept has only minimum oversight over academic support, that was overseen by the Dean of College of Art&Sciences & currently a stand alone department & the director reports to the Provost only. So the AD can monitor students but has no control over advisement, course selection etc

dayooper

Reaction Score
The athletic dept has only minimum oversight over academic support, that was overseen by the Dean of College of Art&Sciences & currently a stand alone department & the director reports to the Provost only. So the AD can monitor students but has no control over advisement, course selection etc

Technically speaking, yes. In reality, athletic departments have great control over the scheduling of their athletes. During my playing years, the department sets when certain classes that many athletes take meet so practices can happen. I played D2, for what it's worth. Coaches will tell what programs athletes should take. Some programs won't let athletes take certain majors.

If the UNC stuff proves to be true (I am reserving judgement, Michigan's "Stretchgate Scandal" taught me that), than I have no doubt that The AD knew about it, at least.

Reaction Score
Technically speaking, yes. In reality, athletic departments have great control over the scheduling of their athletes. During my playing years, the department sets when certain classes that many athletes take meet so practices can happen. I played D2, for what it's worth. Coaches will tell what programs athletes should take. Some programs won't let athletes take certain majors.

If the UNC stuff proves to be true (I am reserving judgement, Michigan's "Stretchgate Scandal" taught me that), than I have no doubt that The AD knew about it, at least.
Until a couple yrs ago the ath drpt had a minor oversight of student services. When I was a athlete there my coaches had little impact as far as the classes I took. Of course they were aware of certain things but everything from advisement, tutoring etc was handled thru the College of Arts & Sciences. Now the dept has no oversight of student services& is considered a dept of the chief academic officer. But that doesn't abstain the AD from guilt per se. If he didn't know he should have

Reaction Score
I would hope that the admins there have learned that pride comes before a fall. Otherwise, it would be a long road back. For everyone's sake, as well.

Anyway, news on the ACC/ND scheduling agreement:

The ACC and Notre Dame are expected to finalize details for the remainder of their 60-game contract soon. ACC senior associate commissioner Michael Strickland said the conference will likely have dates and sites for the fourth, fifth and six years of the deal and years and sites for the back half of the contract. Under the agreement, which begins this year, Notre Dame will play every ACC school four times, home and away, through 2025. The ACC-Notre Dame games have already been scheduled for 2014-2016.

An announcement could come in August.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...ized/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_sports_sfp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom