UConn/ACC | Page 19 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd be most interested in the North Carolina - Virginia schools. Duke & UNC in basketball, Virginia, Va Tech, UNC in football.

FSU would be great in football, but we probably wouldn't be competitive. BC could be an interesting football rivalry if it were a regular rivalry, not just a single game.

Appreciate it. I think there is tremendous potential in a productive association between UConn and the NC/VA schools. For now, I would like to see not only Duke/UConn but Wake Forest has a lot of promise with Danny Manning at the helm. Wake and UConn could become a good match-up. I have a wait-and-see approach on Buzz Williams and VT. It's a tough league to turn around a program that's been mediocre in basketball but, hopefully, with Tech's greater resources it could be done. Buzz will have to do a heck of a recruiting job.

Reaction Score
Well, it wasn't like they were drawing a lot for those vaunted Lafayette, Lehigh and Colgate games all those years. Still, they have a bigger problem in that Big Ten fans don't seem ready to accept them and Maryland as brothers, yet.

http://hawkcentral.com/2014/07/10/taking-a-trip-through-the-big-ten-heres-an-itinerary/

A cautionary tale for those who look to them as a salvation.

Anyway, until the ACC decides to invite you guys, I want to know what ACC teams do UConn fans want to see in OOC play? You can include basketball, football, women's sports, etc.. Do you want to see UConn play former Big East teams again or would you prefer to play the long-time members like Duke and UNC?
Of course you'll find resistance to Rutgers and Maryland among B1G. Inertia must be overcome to change anything. I imagine there are oldtimers still pissed about Penn State and Nebraska.

I wouldn't mind seeing games against UNC, Virginia, GaTech, Clemson, FSU, VaTech, Louisville, and NC State in football. I have zero interest in BC, Syracuse, Pitt or Miami other than UConn would be involved. I'd love to play Maryland too, but that's now a horse of another color. In basketball, Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Pitt. Again, no interest in Cuse unless Jimmy B. soils his Depends so deeply the skidmark can be seen from the outside. N.D., Duke, and Louisville in wbb. ND because, delusionally, a few nail-biting wins have them imagining they can compete with us, but that's gonna happen anyway.

Question for you. Why do you think Swofford has screwed-the-pooch so badly (or well, depending on your views on pooch screwing) with realignment. Surely you can't be happy with losing Maryland, picking up an academic sinkhole more associated with the Mississippi River than the Atlantic Ocean, and the marginal-at-best Monongahela and Allegheny Panthers while leaving a marauding basketball titan free to roam the northeast. Does he lack vision or the ability to persuade? Does he lack the ability to lead or fail to inspire confidence in those he's been hired to lead? Is the ACC itself simply unorganized or unorganizable?

Reaction Score
Billy, maybe I wasn't clear. While I don't get warm and fuzzy with your criticisms of Maryland, I don't have a problem with it at this point. And maybe your prediction of Maryland's future in football is true. We'll see. Anyway, I was referring to another poster.

Although I am clearly not a fan of the ACC at the moment, I don't believe I have barraged this board with criticisms of the ACC. I have directly criticized Mr. Swofford and Coach Krzyzewski, but will no longer continue with that, instead of waiting to be told to stick it.

For those of us who are fans of other teams on a fan board, we should take some cues from the fans of that board, and knock it off when one of us keeps crossing the line. I'm all for free speech, but also for freedom of not being a d&&che on someone else's board.
Like you're post, Pat, although I'd associate the ability to refrain from being a in someone else's house with politeness and class that freedom. I imagine billy would get that point as well if you'd directed it at someone else. Not sure he can be as objective on his own behalf.

Reaction Score
Of course you'll find resistance to Rutgers and Maryland among B1G. Inertia must be overcome to change anything. I imagine there are oldtimers still pissed about Penn State and Nebraska.

I wouldn't mind seeing games against UNC, Virginia, GaTech, Clemson, FSU, VaTech, Louisville, and NC State in football. I have zero interest in BC, Syracuse, Pitt or Miami other than UConn would be involved. I'd love to play Maryland too, but that's now a horse of another color. In basketball, Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Pitt. Again, no interest in Cuse unless Jimmy B. soils his Depends so deeply the skidmark can be seen from the outside. N.D., Duke, and Louisville in wbb. ND because, delusionally, a few nail-biting wins have them imagining they can compete with us, but that's gonna happen anyway.

Question for you. Why do you think Swofford has screwed-the-pooch so badly (or well, depending on your views on pooch screwing) with realignment. Surely you can't be happy with losing Maryland, picking up an academic sinkhole more associated with the Mississippi River than the Atlantic Ocean, and the marginal-at-best Monongahela and Allegheny Panthers while leaving a marauding basketball titan free to roam the northeast. Does he lack vision or the ability to persuade? Does he lack the ability to lead or fail to inspire confidence in those he's been hired to lead? Is the ACC itself simply unorganized or unorganizable?

That's the thing. Some fans talk about the best playing the best but many others have this overbearing reverence to traditionalism that I can't understand. Why do many in the Midwest think Ohio State not playing Illinois every year is a travesty? I can't answer that one for you. You can start to understand the reluctance of the yahoos down South to playing northern teams or the yahoos in the Midwest about the eastern teams. Ultra-conservatism, something I'm very much against.

Hmmm...I could understand the antipathy towards SU and BC but Pitt is one that baffles me. Something happened to Husky fans in Three Rivers or Heinz Field that I'm not aware of?

As to why Swofford screwed it up? He may have but he's not alone: the conference itself is to blame for not seeing the opportunity with UConn. Again, like with fans, presidents are affected by associations and familiarity. It's unfortunate that petty politics get involved in college sports, but that's the same with every other conference. In any large organization, there will be differences of opinions in terms of the value of academics to college athletics. The northern, western and midwestern schools are very zealous of their academic reputations, I've found out. Schools in the South and central parts depend on the school. The schools in the Piedmont and Tidewater areas pride themselves as being culturally different from their viewpoint from the backwaters of the mid- to deep South. Southern and, yet, elitist. In the old ACC, the core schools were UMD, UNC, Duke, UVa and WF. South Carolina was a member at one time but left due to disagreements over student eligibility. The core schools have tried to balance out academics and athletics. However, the rise of college football, aided by schools in the backwaters who found it advantageous to skirt the rules, forced the core schools to concentrate on other sports and they found a nice niche in basketball. Before the rise of the Big East, the ACC already was one of the best basketball leagues in the country. Over time, basketball began taking a secondary role in the totem pole of college sports. The ACC knew that it had to do something to keep up with the times. Georgia Tech even threatened to leave unless the league took in Florida State.

Article here: http://www.nationalreview.com/phi-beta-cons/382232/southern-part-hell-bernie-reeves

I would understand why the ACC had to add schools but there should have been a real effort to streamline and modernize the organization, make a concerted effort to develop a market strategy. Then again, anything I could suggest would fall on deaf ears within the organization but especially among the fans. Everything is centered around what their team does. I'm already sick of the selfish attitude of a lot of FSU fans. There are sensible ones around who understand the program is greater than the football team but the yahoos drown them out through their yelling. One person, Debbie Yow, really turned me off when he made some dismissive comments about Maryland after they announced that they were leaving. Of course, she was running the Maryland program when they were beginning to have financial troubles. Look, I'm not one of those people who think that the ACC is somewhat beneath the other conferences but the arrogance of some officials give the impression of weakness, which is what we don't need.

Taking UConn would have meant we take the best remaining athletic program in the East and shut out competitors in New England. Maybe there is no space left and we can't take you in now. But the Big Ten isn't taking you, either. It appears to me that a game of chicken is being played. Maybe neither of us need UConn. If that's the case then everyone is wasting their time and we should then be campaigning to get a sixth conference into the Power 5.

I hope I answered your question.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Hmmm...I could understand the antipathy towards SU and BC but Pitt is one that baffles me. Something happened to Husky fans in Three Rivers or Heinz Field that I'm not aware of?

I haven't read any antipathy toward Pitt other than Pitt leading the charge against the ESPN TV package offer. Maybe there's also what was printed in the newspapers about UConn and Syracuse being the initial first choices for the ACC before BC stepped in an quashed it. But beyond that, no one is sour at Pitt. That being said, UConn's most bruising bball rivalry of the last decade, the one that got uglier than all others, was with Pitt. In football, UConn won more games than it lost against Pitt.

Reaction Score
This is probably viewed as sacrilege in this board but I think Louisville's ESPN radio station has some good coverage about the ACC. I can recommend the Louisville Sports Live podcast, as they were at the ACC Kickoff event held this week.

http://www.espnlouisville.com/page.php?page_id=73#

You can hear interviews with Al Golden, Steve Addazio, Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher. And don't forget the ACC Digital Network, that you can download on your Android phone. Hopefully, I would be able to hear Diaco being interviewed in a future ACC Kickoff. :)

Reaction Score
This is probably viewed as sacrilege in this board but I think Louisville's ESPN radio station has some good coverage about the ACC. I can recommend the Louisville Sports Live podcast, as they were at the ACC Kickoff event held this week.

You can hear interviews with Al Golden, Steve Addazio, Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher. And don't forget the ACC Digital Network, that you can download on your Android phone. Hopefully, I would be able to hear Diaco being interviewed in a future ACC Kickoff. :)
I cant believe your here selling us something not many even care about!?! Are you joking? Dazzy from Connecticut and Al Golden a Jersey and PSU guy but who cares here now? No one !! Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score

Someone please tell me in what universe this has anything to do with UCONN! Someone anyone, especially those closest to him need to be shown the door...I mean should I talk about my favorite NFL team and there awesome coverage...I can point out a few EX-Uconn players on the team...but wouldn't this all be just a stretch to say this is about UConn. So please enough of the ACC coverage for UConn fans, last I heard we are not in that conference and until either an announcement is being made to change that or we are in but no one informed us fans...keep the PRO-ACC Coverage out-of-here!

Reaction Score
Someone please tell me in what universe this has anything to do with UCONN! Someone anyone, especially those closest to him need to be shown the door...I mean should I talk about my favorite NFL team and there awesome coverage...I can point out a few EX-Uconn players on the team...but wouldn't this all be just a stretch to say this is about UConn. So please enough of the ACC coverage for UConn fans, last I heard we are not in that conference and until either an announcement is being made to change that or we are in but no one informed us fans...keep the PRO-ACC Coverage out-of-here!
I'd say he's upset because he wants us in the ACC and has been battered here given many of us prefer the B1G. I guess he's trying to make a sale by pointing out some of the finer points of ACC membership. For what it's worth, I've liked Louisville basketball since the 80s and their football since Schnellenberger. I enjoyed their membership in the Big East and wish them well.

Reaction Score
I'd say he's upset because he wants us in the ACC and has been battered here given many of us prefer the B1G. I guess he's trying to make a sale by pointing out some of the finer points of ACC membership. For what it's worth, I've liked Louisville basketball since the 80s and their football since Schnellenberger. I enjoyed their membership in the Big East and wish them well.
I echo many of your remarks. Louisville was a quality member of the Big East & a worthy opponent. UConn played many memorable games across the athletic spectrum against the Cardinals. Good for them that they have gotten into a stable financial situation. Just wish that UConn's administration is able to orchestrate a similar outcome for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
The major B1G schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State have made bigger paychecks than ACC schools for the past 100 years. Yet still only 1 basketball championship in the past 25 years and 2 football since 1970, one of which was enabled by horrific officiating.

And yet, despite all your so-called, ahem, "failure", The Big Ten accomplished more with ELEVEN schools than the ACC has ever accomplish with 12, 14, or 15 schools.

How does that make you feel??

edit; FTR - I'm very happy with the MD & RUTG additions, and I grew up in the heart of the B1G right in the middle of the OH/IN boarder. In fact, I haven't heard one single friend of mine from back home, or Purdue, or anywhere else voice displeasure in the additions.

Apparently, we understand the shifting dynamics in college sports, and we see the big picture. The vast majority of B1G people I interact with have had positive opinions overall. Or, they gave up on trying to keep tabs on CR long ago, and are more interested in their families, friends, relationships, careers, etc etc etc. Not everyone follows this like we do, ya know.

Seemed like the new schools fit in just fine at the BTN Big10K race this past wknd in Chicago. Each school had their own race jersey, mascots were there, post-run beer drinking and debauchery, just a grand ol time. I watched the festivities on BTN and everyone seemed to be having a blast. A B1G happy family.

I guess if we were inviting yokel community clown colleges from Kentucky, maybe B1G alums would be upset. But we invited two world-class Universities who fit the Big Ten mold perfectly.

But please, CoastAtlantic, feel free to continue shoving words in our collective mouths. I'm sure you can post a couple links to (((((ultra-conservative))))) hillbillies on an ILL/MINN/OSU/wherever message board disparaging our new East Coast mates. Have fun with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And yet, despite all your so-called, ahem, "failure", The Big Ten accomplished more with ELEVEN schools than the ACC has ever accomplish with 12, 14, or 15 schools.

How does that make you feel??

edit; FTR - I'm very happy with the MD & RUTG additions, and I grew up in the heart of the B1G right in the middle of the OH/IN boarder. In fact, I haven't heard one single friend of mine from back home, or Purdue, or anywhere else voice displeasure in the additions.

Apparently, we understand the shifting dynamics in college sports, and we see the big picture. The vast majority of B1G people I interact with have had positive opinions overall. Or, they gave up on trying to keep tabs on CR long ago, and are more interested in their families, friends, relationships, careers, etc etc etc. Not everyone follows this like we do, ya know.

Seemed like the new schools fit in just fine at the BTN Big10K race this past wknd in Chicago. Each school had their own race jersey, mascots were there, post-run beer drinking and debauchery, just a grand ol time. I watched the festivities on BTN and everyone seemed to be having a blast. A B1G happy family.

I guess if we were inviting yokel community clown colleges from Kentucky, maybe B1G alums would be upset. But we invited two world-class Universities who fit the Big Ten mold perfectly.

But please, CoastAtlantic, feel free to continue shoving words in our collective mouths. I'm sure you can post a couple links to (((((ultra-conservative))))) hillbillies on an ILL/MINN/OSU/wherever message board disparaging our new East Coast mates. Have fun with that.
The more some of these ACC yahoo's post(calamitious is OK) the happier I am RU knew what they were doing avoiding any association with them and concentrating on developing their efforts on peer instituitions with class in the B1G. I hope some of theses ACC types aren't representative of their schools? I've never seen such sour classless folks expose themselves as "bitter" yet proudly !?! Whatever "love" I might have had for anything ACC is absolutely gone. What arrogance these BE2 bunch have! I'm wondering is CoastAtlantic the reincarnation of "Cav" fan "bstimpyCuse"? Yes thats where I first argued with that arrogant cuss when he appeared immediately after the Cuse/Pitt adds disparaging RU/UConn saying we would become irrelevant(really?) outside the umbrella of the P5 and I said no way an RU/UConn is not P5 material nor would they wither on the vine as they'd hoped. Rather its more likely the ACC will/would wither w/o being pimped by sponsor Espin. How much longer will they pump welfare money into that collection of disparate school's?

Reaction Score
The more some of these ACC yahoo's post(calamitious is OK) the happier I am RU knew what they were doing avoiding any association with them and concentrating on developing their efforts on peer instituitions with class in the B1G. I hope some of theses ACC types aren't representative of their schools? I've never seen such sour classless folks expose themselves as "bitter" yet proudly !?! Whatever "love" I might have had for anything ACC is absolutely gone. What arrogance these BE2 bunch have! I'm wondering is CoastAtlantic the reincarnation of "Cav" fan "bstimpyCuse"? Yes thats where I first argued with that arrogant cuss when he appeared immediately after the Cuse/Pitt adds disparaging RU/UConn saying we would become irrelevant(really?) outside the umbrella of the P5 and I said no way an RU/UConn is not P5 material nor would they wither on the vine as they'd hoped. Rather its more likely the ACC will/would wither w/o being pimped by sponsor Espin. How much longer will they pump welfare money into that collection of disparate school's?
I think RU knew as far back as when BC left the BE that they would be going to the B1G someday so they did not have to get involved in the ACC handwringing. B1G dreaming for UConn is exactly that, if one thinks UConn will be in the B1G next five years. The metrics are not there.Despite the lack of love for the ACC, and in my case pure animosity, UConn will likely end up in the ACC I believe as one previous poster put it, as backfill. I hope that I am wrong. I want to see UConn invited to the B1G now, so that in 3 years we can start playing with those guys for real. RU has blossomed, not withered, and I suspect that attendance at RU games in the future will break their records (Look at what Michigan coming to E Hartford did). UConn, unfortunately, Nicky, is still at risk of withering. The AAC just does not bring the level of excitement to this area, and it will not to NYC either and as been stated here countless times, the longer UConn remains in the AAC, the worse the situation will be ultimately. Lack of foresight by the State of CT, the people of CT, the administration of the University, have all participated in putting UConn in this boat, and they all need to start bailing fast to keep it from sinking forever.

Reaction Score
I think RU knew as far back as when BC left the BE that they would be going to the B1G someday so they did not have to get involved in the ACC handwringing. B1G dreaming for UConn is exactly that, if one thinks UConn will be in the B1G next five years. The metrics are not there.Despite the lack of love for the ACC, and in my case pure animosity, UConn will likely end up in the ACC I believe as one previous poster put it, as backfill. I hope that I am wrong. I want to see UConn invited to the B1G now, so that in 3 years we can start playing with those guys for real. RU has blossomed, not withered, and I suspect that attendance at RU games in the future will break their records (Look at what Michigan coming to E Hartford did). UConn, unfortunately, Nicky, is still at risk of withering. The AAC just does not bring the level of excitement to this area, and it will not to NYC either and as been stated here countless times, the longer UConn remains in the AAC, the worse the situation will be ultimately. Lack of foresight by the State of CT, the people of CT, the administration of the University, have all participated in putting UConn in this boat, and they all need to start bailing fast to keep it from sinking forever.

I tend to agree with this. It's only a matter of time before U. Virginia understands the lay of the land and makes a move. There will be 4 conferences of 16-20 teams eventually.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this. It's only a matter of time before U. Virginia understands the lay of the land and makes a move. There will be 4 conferences of 16-20 teams eventually.
Yes Upstater I agree CR is not near over and there will be at least 4 16 team conferences but at least 6-8 more schools bulking conferences up to 18(or an additional conf) but you can't believe UConn won't at the least be ACC? The latest news from Geno Smith out of OSU has me heartened that the B1G wants the ENTIRE NE and I believe that UConn will be the final eastern add locking down NYC to the north and everything up to Maine's Canadian border dealing the ACC/Espin a real KO blow! I don't think it takes a genius to see these posibilities. I think Swoffy did irreparable damage to his conference in his haste to save his brother in laws living and Raycom!?! Nepotism over good business anyone? I can understand though Buddys concern and hope he's wrong....UConns developed a heck of a brand in warp speed...no way they wither like a couple privates would like though Im not blaming all there fan's cause some are OK unlike the southern wing!! I "liked" Buddys post's sincerity and sympathized with his concerns though not agreeing with the ACC part of it...I'd really love to see the only other large eastern public(UConn) in the B1G with NJSU myself rendering all others in metro NYC lower tier fare and turn eastern CFB into what it can be by locking down the heaviest concentration of populous in the country from Balt/DC,Philly,NYC through Boston.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think RU knew as far back as when BC left the BE that they would be going to the B1G someday so they did not have to get involved in the ACC handwringing. B1G dreaming for UConn is exactly that, if one thinks UConn will be in the B1G next five years. The metrics are not there.Despite the lack of love for the ACC, and in my case pure animosity, UConn will likely end up in the ACC I believe as one previous poster put it, as backfill. I hope that I am wrong. I want to see UConn invited to the B1G now, so that in 3 years we can start playing with those guys for real....

I agree and disagree. I do think UConn will get an ACC invite, and I think it will accept. It's a more natural fit than the B1G in most ways. State schools that aren't quite as gigantic, all eastern time zone games, basketball first, football second. There are a lot of synergies, including being reunited with much of the Big East, BC, Pitt and Syracuse in particular.

UConn isn't going to be Michigan or Ohio State...ever. While playing B1G football would fill the Rent quickly, I think an ACC slate would as well..FSU, Clemson, VT, these are solid programs and a BC game would always sell out. The basketball would be unbelievable in the ACC, as would soccer and baseball. I've gotten over my hurt feelings about the ACC snubbing UConn twice, and while I would be very excited in the unlikely event of a B1G invite, an ACC invite is much more likely and is a better fit for the school.

I just think it is sad that the ACC botched things to such a degree. Louisville should be in the Big XII (and probably Pitt), and UConn should be joining Rutgers and Maryland in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I agree and disagree. I do think UConn will get an ACC invite, and I think it will accept. It's a more natural fit than the B1G in most ways. State schools that aren't quite as gigantic, all eastern time zone games, basketball first, football second. There are a lot of synergies, including being reunited with much of the Big East, BC, Pitt and Syracuse in particular.

UConn isn't going to be Michigan or Ohio State...ever. While playing B1G football would fill the Rent quickly, I think an ACC slate would as well..FSU, Clemson, VT, these are solid programs and a BC game would always sell out. The basketball would be unbelievable in the ACC, as would soccer and baseball. I've gotten over my hurt feelings about the ACC snubbing UConn twice, and while I would be very excited in the unlikely event of a B1G invite, an ACC invite is much more likely and is a better fit for the school.

I just think it is sad that the ACC botched things to such a degree. Louisville should be in the Big XII (and probably Pitt), and UConn should be joining Rutgers and Maryland in the ACC.
Like you I agree and disagree....did ACC association help the "U",BC, Pitt or Cuse fill there seats and 40M+ would go a long way in helping UConn amp up the FB program but of course I agree you guys can't turn an ACC invite away but I just have a feeling you're more a BiG type school than some here think....Outside of possibly FSU I think with ACC money UConn would dominate in most sports fairly quickly and I think a couple of the privates fear that...just another reason I think the B1G is in your card's/future!!

Reaction Score

Why do you keep thinking this? UVA is very happy where it is, and there isn't anyone currently in the administration interested in any other conference besides the ACC. The fan base isn't interested in changing either. If you're looking for someone in a P5 to make a move, the best bet is Texas or Oklahoma. Both have seriously looked into it before.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep thinking this? UVA is very happy where it is, and there isn't anyone currently in the administration interested in any other conference besides the ACC. The fan base isn't interested in changing either. If you're looking for someone in a P5 to make a move, the best bet is Texas or Oklahoma. Both have seriously looked into it before.
CBS's Dennis Dodd agrees with upstater. He said on the Tim Brando Show at noon today, that the B1G's targeting UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, & N.D. As I said in another thread, he feels that the B1G whiffed on previous attempts to corral these institutions & is working behind the scenes to get them should they have a change of heart.

Reaction Score
I didnt realize you carried so much influence in the Cav administration that you could speak on there behalf? Change is inevitable esp in areas like Va/NC where yankee influence is changing old views. No one ever thought PSU was a midwestern school either...now Md/NJ/NYC metro with much denser concentrations of people....perceptions can change unlike some people!! I knew this post by upstater would nag you.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
CBS's Dennis Dodd agrees with upstater. He said on the Tim Brando Show at noon today, that the B1G's targeting UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, & N.D. As I said in another thread, he feels that the B1G whiffed on previous attempts to corral these institutions & is working behind the scenes to get them should they have a change of heart.

I don't believe that the B1G wants Georgia Tech. I think that's just old nonsense. In the scenario above, I'd consider UConn the more likely 4th.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that the B1G wants Georgia Tech. I think that's just old nonsense. In the scenario above, I'd consider UConn the more likely 4th.
I agree...UConn/Va seems likely but I wouldnt mind Kansas(though not mentioned) either but Va(or VT whom I like) is very attractive. I don't think the B1G wants any number 2's in their state or isolated schools though like GT except if they blow up to 20. I think UConn is coming because of the fact the B1G opened a NYC office and doubt just for 1 local(RU) school !?! Delany did mention big moves in the NE I believe.

Reaction Score

Dennis Dodd also had Clemson and FSU going to the Big XII. He can be like the Dude of WV sometimes. He's a Big XII homer. The B1G did whiff on Notre Dame big time. The B1G didn't really whiff on the others because they were never available. So it settled for Rutgers and Maryland. The B1G did float the idea of joining to the other three (UVA/GT/UNC) in 2012, and was told thanks, but no thanks. There isn't anything really to cause a change of heart on the horizon. Dennis Dodd came out with a column over the weekend talking about the Maryland and Rutgers additions, and he floats his UVA/UNC/GT idea in it. Here it is:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...onal-title-drought-by-adding-rutgers-maryland

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Why, because there is the train of thought that the ACC, playing second fiddle in most states, is in a very precarious position. The lack of money while stuck in a contract that will pay less than every other conference, up to $25million less per team than their direct competitors, The Big10 and The SEC. That's until 2025. You pride your olympic sports programs, but they cost money. What happens if the proposals from The Big10, SEC, and PAC12 go through? How will you afford to support those programs? Wasn't there just a panel of ACC ADs talking about how they weren't going to be able to afford the proposed changes? UVA is not financial trouble right now, but the university has to decide how they are going to proceed. If The ACC continues to lag behind as far as they are projected to, it will make a difference in how go about their academic business. The changes may not take place, but the finances of their competitors will. This doesn't include the exposure aspect that the school loses having most of their football games on ESPN2 and ESPNU outside of Virginia (if at all).

UVA administration may be very happy with that. They may want to downgrade to an Ivy league like status and I would never berate them for it. They may de-emphasize their football and/or basketball programs. They may have to subsidize form their general fund. They may not have to do anything. Just like you, we are all speculating on what will happen.

Whether true or not, there were many rumors that UVA was in talks with the Big10. They fit the profile of a Big10 school (large, flagship, highly rated research university) and fit the population demographic well, too. The popular belief is that UVA would never want to go to The SEC and, if they went to another major conference, it would be The Big10.

I completely understand why you say the fans are happy. I'm sure most are. There are some that have big issues with the direction the ACC is going on a few aspects, but my guess is that over 90% of the alumni are happy with the ACC. Unfortunately, what the fans and alumni want isn't always what is best for the school. College football is what it is because of tradition. Most fans don't follow a school because of a player, they follow the school. Either it's a link to the place where their liver were transformed, or great times they had there. I wish that Michigan would play for the Little Brown Jug every year. I wish that we could play Illinois (don't ask me, I can't explain) more often. In today's world, it's not happening.

Now, you asked why? These are my reasons. I have no clue that The Big10 is expanding. I think that they are and UVA is one they like.

Reaction Score
How did the B1G whiff on ND??

By not allowing them to join as a non-football member, ala the BE and ACC??

Or, do you mean in 1890's/1900's when they didn't allow them to join the Western Conf??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom