UConn -4 vs. St. Joe's | The Boneyard

UConn -4 vs. St. Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting. The Sagarin ratings show us as a 4.34 favorite.

Playing St. Joseph's is haunting. I think the last time we played them in the post-season was in 1965. We were 23-2 going in to that game. We had Wonderful Wes and Toby Kimball and still lost. I never understood how that happened.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Playing St. Joseph's is haunting. I think the last time we played them in the post-season was in 1965. We were 23-2 going in to that game. We had Wonderful Wes and Toby Kimball and still lost. I never understood how that happened.
Assuming none of the 1965 roster is playing, I'm feeling confident.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
60'sfan said:
Interesting. The Sagarin ratings show us as a 4.34 favorite. Playing St. Joseph's is haunting. I think the last time we played them in the post-season was in 1965. We were 23-2 going in to that game. We had Wonderful Wes and Toby Kimball and still lost. I never understood how that happened.

Post/screen name

Well done!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Wasn't Jack Ramsey their head coach back then?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Always love when someone points out that UConn basketball didn't begin with Jim Calhoun. Not knocking Jim, but there's a pretty successful history, pre Perno.

Reaction Score
Interesting. The last time we played them in the post-season was in 1965. We were 23-2 going in to that game. We had Wonderful Wes and Toby Kimball and still lost. I never understood how that happened.

That was an amazing game. It was played at The Palestra in Phila, the NCAA site--but also one of St Joe's home courts. (And that was much more of an advantage than say Memphis had at The FedEx Forum--by a mile!) The Palestra was a big advantage for them. Huge.
Matt Goukas in warm ups hit shot after shot from one spot on the floor. They knew all the nuances about that court and of course packed the place with fans. I remember wanting to kill that flapping Hawk mascot.
We had one of UConn's all time best back-courts in Wes B. and Tommy Penders. Toby Kimball had an incredible 20 rebounds by halftime and ended with 29, the 4th all-time during an NCAA game, right behind Jerry Lucas and Nate Thurmond. The Hawk's stars were Matt Goukas and Cliff Anderson. Goukas was great that night. It never really felt like we had a chance in that game.
It's payback time!!

Reaction Score
I watched that game on TV. UConn was in the Yankee Conference, with our biggest OOC game, at that time, was Manhattan in MSG.
St. Joe's, with Matty Goukas & Cliff Anderson were a top 10 team that year.
Kimball indeed had 20 1st half rebounds, and 29 for the game. UConn shockingly led by 10 at halftime.
UConn ran out of gas in the 2nd half and St. Joe's put that game away.
The other thing I remember in that game is Les Keiter, who was considered a big time announcer, at that time, did the game. He kept referring to Bialosuknia as Biletnekoff. Mixing Wes up with Fred Biletnekoff who was an outstanding WR for the Oakland Raiders, at that time.
College hoops on national TV was new, in those days. Many top announcers, not connected to college hoops, were assigned these games. Many constantly mispronounced these college players names. After many complaints, these big time announcers were either fired or reassigned.

Reaction Score
I would have definitely watched that game if I could have. When that game was played I was an ensign in the Navy stationed on a ship out of Norfolk, Va. I remember how disappointed I was. I had seen that team play earlier and I was expecting that they could have done something special. Fred Shabel was a great coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like UConn to cover. St Joes is a miserable free throw shooting team.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My Mom and Dad were 15 and 17, respectively and still 4 years off from being married. I came about 8 years after that. Safe to say that the thing I recognize in this thread is Matt Goukas...but as a broadcaster.

Reaction Score
I watched that game on TV. UConn was in the Yankee Conference, with our biggest OOC game, at that time, was Manhattan in MSG.
St. Joe's, with Matty Goukas & Cliff Anderson were a top 10 team that year.
Kimball indeed had 20 1st half rebounds, and 29 for the game. UConn shockingly led by 10 at halftime.
UConn ran out of gas in the 2nd half and St. Joe's put that game away.
The other thing I remember in that game is Les Keiter, who was considered a big time announcer, at that time, did the game. He kept referring to Bialosuknia as Biletnekoff. Mixing Wes up with Fred Biletnekoff who was an outstanding WR for the Oakland Raiders, at that time.
College hoops on national TV was new, in those days. Many top announcers, not connected to college hoops, were assigned these games. Many constantly mispronounced these college players names. After many complaints, these big time announcers were either fired or reassigned.

Had the good fortune to be able to attend that game. If I remember correctly St. Joes was ranked either 2nd or 3rd in the country at the time of that game. I remember Goukas getting away with murder in defending Wes B.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Assuming none of the 1965 roster is playing, I'm feeling confident.

Seriously, did Payday hack into posters' accounts in this thread? I'm quite certain that just like the Big O in Cinci's case, Goukas is not eligible to play. He may not even be eligible to broadcast.

Reaction Score
Not really sure how experts like bilas and Greenberg think st joes is better , no real statistical backing . Draftexpress thinks we should beat nova em route to sweet 16. Bilas writes these expansive prediction pieces that aren't even backed by analysis . Can't wait till msu flames out and he is left dumbfounded.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have some concerns about Tyler being able to stay in front of the dead guy.
Of course, we could put Nolan on the dead guy, but he'd probably get called for a foul trying to draw a charge.
That's harsh. Funny, but harsh.

Reaction Score
I have some concerns about Tyler being able to stay in front of the dead guy.
Of course, we could put Nolan on the dead guy, but he'd probably get called for a foul trying to draw a charge.
Now on the offensive side of things, I'm worried if the dead guy was on Nolan, he'd still want to try out the pirouette post move on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom