UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who are you looking for the Giants to draft in the seventh round?

You never want to get that pick wrong.

Someone who was a good college player would be nice

Reaction Score
It's only honest if you know what you are talking about. You are just a clueless fan. This is our team. No need to say things like you did.

I don't understand what your deal is.

I said that I'm sure he's a good kid, but he was a below below average college OT. He will not be a good pro because he wasn't a good college player.

I said I wouldn't want my pro team drafting a player that struggled mightily in Pass Pro during his time at UConn. He also has a terrible injury history. These are tangible things that matter for draft positioning, not "opinion".

But if you want a full freaking scouting report because you are being cranky, here goes:

Bennett is a 6 year college player due to 2 major knee injuries during his time at UConn. Despite coming into college as the highest ranked recruit in his class @ UConn, he struggled to live up to his billing due to both injuries and several other factors. Bennett does not bend well, which presents a problem for someone who is touching 6'9 300. He also is thin through the shoulders and arms, lending to a lack of strength in the upper body. These factors(flexibility, strength, injuries) have caused him big problems in Pass Pro, as he has trouble anchoring against bull-rushes and also bending/quickness to cut off the speed edge rush. On a positive note, Bennett can effectively maul defensive players when he fires off the ball on running downs, and his play improved mightily with the addition of Mike Foley as OL coach the second half of this year. Given his significant injury history, 6 years in college, and struggles in pass protection at the college level, Bennett is a marginal prospect at the next level, falling into the category of undrafted/FA.

How's that SportsArt. Get of my back

Reaction Score
I don't understand what your deal is.

I said that I'm sure he's a good kid, but he was a below below average college OT. He will not be a good pro because he wasn't a good college player.

I said I wouldn't want my pro team drafting a player that struggled mightily in Pass Pro during his time at UConn. He also has a terrible injury history. These are tangible things that matter for draft positioning, not "opinion".

But if you want a full freaking scouting report because you are being cranky, here goes:

Bennett is a 6 year college player due to 2 major knee injuries during his time at UConn. Despite coming into college as the highest ranked recruit in his class @ UConn, he struggled to live up to his billing due to both injuries and several other factors. Bennett does not bend well, which presents a problem for someone who is touching 6'9 300. He also is thin through the shoulders and arms, lending to a lack of strength in the upper body. These factors(flexibility, strength, injuries) have caused him big problems in Pass Pro, as he has trouble anchoring against bull-rushes and also bending/quickness to cut off the speed edge rush. On a positive note, Bennett can effectively maul defensive players when he fires off the ball on running downs, and his play improved mightily with the addition of Mike Foley as OL coach the second half of this year. Given his significant injury history, 6 years in college, and struggles in pass protection at the college level, Bennett is a marginal prospect at the next level, falling into the category of undrafted/FA.

How's that SportsArt. Get of my back

Thanks for confirming my belief that you are a clueless fan. Your comment of "Anyone who drafts Jimmy Bennett needs to be fired" is not something a fan says about one of their team's players.

If I'm an NFL scout I want to find out about this kid who battled through injuries and then when he's finally healthy an inept OL coach makes success almost impossible. He has the experience of what, a sophomore or maybe an early junior? I'm thinking he hasn't finished learning and will only get better.

When someone like Jimmy puts in the blood, sweat and tears he did for his team he deserves respect. The "needs to be fired" comment does not give that to him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for confirming my belief that you are a clueless fan. Your comment of "Anyone who drafts Jimmy Bennett needs to be fired" is not something a fan says about one of their team's players.

If I'm an NFL scout I want to find out about this kid who battled through injuries and then when he's finally healthy an inept OL coach makes success almost impossible. He has the experience of what, a sophomore or maybe an early junior? I'm thinking he hasn't finished learning and will only get better.

When someone like Jimmy puts in the blood, sweat and tears he did for his team he deserves respect. The "needs to be fired" comment does not give that to him.

Gotta go with bmayuc on this one.

It's in no way a reflection of what Bennett has gone through or what type of person and teammate that he is. You don't draft year college players with multiple knee injuries. You bring them in as a UDFA and see what they can do. If they make it, fine. If they don't, so be it.

Any team who uses a draft pick as a reward for perserverance is dysfunctional (so maybe the Raiders or Cowboys will pick him up).

There are plenty of high caliber college players and high caliber character who don't get drafted.

Reaction Score
Gotta go with bmayuc on this one.

It's in no way a reflection of what Bennett has gone through or what type of person and teammate that he is. You don't draft year college players with multiple knee injuries. You bring them in as a UDFA and see what they can do. If they make it, fine. If they don't, so be it.

Any team who uses a draft pick as a reward for perserverance is dysfunctional (so maybe the Raiders or Cowboys will pick him up).

There are plenty of high caliber college players and high caliber character who don't get drafted.

If you are ok with his "needs to be fired" comment I guess there's nothing more I can say.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you are ok with his "needs to be fired" comment I guess there's nothing more I can say.

In theory no one should be fired over a draft pick since the entire organization should have ironed out all the kinks and strategies beforehand and there shouldn't be any draft day surprises from within the organization.

However, if a GM or player personnel director offered up drafting a player with Bennett's profile and when questioned about it doubled down on it, I wouldn't have a problem sending him packing.

Agree to disagree and we'll leave it that.

Reaction Score
In theory no one should be fired over a draft pick since the entire organization should have ironed out all the kinks and strategies beforehand and there shouldn't be any draft day surprises from within the organization.

However, if a GM or player personnel director offered up drafting a player with Bennett's profile and when questioned about it doubled down on it, I wouldn't have a problem sending him packing.

Agree to disagree and we'll leave it that.

Maybe I'm not being clear. To say someone should be fired for drafting Jimmy is a huge insult and disrespect to a player who gave everything he had, and then some, for 6 years. It's something someone would say about an opposing team's player.

Reaction Score
FWIW: Greg Gabriel, who was an actual evaluator of players for an NFL franchise twitted just a few days ago that not only a GM that drafted Blake Bortles in the first round would be fired within 3 years, but the head coach too. He wrote a whole 2 page article I think after that because of the blowback.

Sometimes it's good to get away from the internets and experience a little reality for a while. Opinions are like balloon knots remember. Jimmy Bennett, if he impresses somebody, might make it to the league. If he gets drafted, it's a risky investment. People tend to write things on the internets, that they wouldn't say verbally face to face with another human being. Believe it or not, I actually try my damndest not to do that. What you read is what you get with me.

Reaction Score
"Courtesy of his agent, Jimmy Bennett is off to Pittsburgh now to work for about 5 weeks with a trainer from the Steelers prior to pro day. Bennett's agent, who represents quite a few elite linemen, thinks Bennett will do well and may get drafted in the later rounds or possibly sign on as a free agent."

Just as you might suspect, it looks like there are lots of opinions out there. I concur with Sportsart in his discussion with bmayuc. A little respect shown to our players, especially one who came back from serious injury and endured a tough rehab regimen, is never a bad thing--no matter what you think about his NFL prospects. You can certainly voice your opinion--it's your right on this board--but "right" and "classy" are two different things. Jimmy just got engaged to former UConn Basketball player Heather Buck and now he's pursuing his dream of playing in the NFL. My sense is that he's doing just fine (notwithstanding the bmayuc diatribe) and appreciates all the support he's received over the years from friends, fans and players. We wish him nothing but the best wherever he may land. I for one hope it's the Giants in the 7th round.

Reaction Score
Amen Nostical. and for the record Bmay was right about Jimmy having 2 major surgeries however they were over 2 years ago and he was healthy the last two years and for some reason struggled with false starts. However I would caution that for the most part people on this board have very little clue about wether Jimmy had a good or bad season. I do know some of what people thought were the most egregious problems( a couple of strip sacks come to mind) were upon review not blamed on him as he was often graded 80+ once film was reviewed. In more than one case he took and rode his man deep(10 yds) only to find the QB setting up 3 steps further back than he was supposed to. Again most people have no idea that wasn't the OT's fault. Jimmy has the measurables that an NFL team is looking for which is why he might be a late round pick for some team looking for someone they might be able mold into their system. I think pro day will be a big day for him to prove he is totally healthy.
Jimmy was a great asset for our team and a great role model. He graduated with 3 degrees and got engaged to another great former Husky. I'm glad I got to know him and his family and wish him nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
Here's he thing about the NFL draft. You only have to make one guy like you. Tebow got the Broncos to draft him in the first round. A HUGE mistake. But he went in round one because he convinced one GM to do it. Even if the other 31 NFL GMs knew better.

Reaction Score
This thread has turned into a steaming mess. Regardless of what you think about Bennett, there's no reason to go out of your way to talk down a Husky. If the Giants draft him, he'll be a Giant and you can crap on him all you want, but there's no reason to do it now.

Does anyone know when the combine invitations go out?

Reaction Score
http://nfldrafttalentevaluator.blogspot.com/2014/01/senior-bowl-prospects-preview.html

>>Sharmar Stephen, DT UConn

Stephen possesses an impressive combination of size at (6-5/315) and athleticism. He is very explosive off the snap and shows quick closing burst of speed when in pursuit. Stephen gets penetration in the backfield and displays the ability to be disruptive at times as an interior pass-rusher and run stuffer. He needs to improve his technique and hand placement to consistently get off blocks. Scouts would like him to improve his upper body strength and become more active with his hand and length. They are intrigued with Stephen’s upside, athleticism and potential to get stronger. He started all 12 games and compiled 60 tackles, including 10 for loss and three sacks finishing third on the team in total tackles while leading the defense in tackles for loss and finishing second in sacks. Stephen productive senior campaign definitely put him on the radar of more NFL teams this year.<<

P.S. - for the love of Taber Small look @ who the author is! ;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Jimmy Bennett is probably not going to be drafted. He may sign on as an UDFA, but may very well be the first one cut in the event the team has injury issues at other positions. I too never understood the Jimmy Bennett love while he was here. His first three years on the field were marred by injury. Staying fit to play is as valuable a skill as running a sub-5 second 40 and being able to pancake block. Like bmayuc and Diesel said it's not a reflection on the person, it's all about the player. In the pros, players are a commodity; Inventory on the field, if you will. Thinking along those lines as a UConn Football fan (former offensive line "coach" DeLeone notwithstanding), I think Bennett very well may have hurt UConn more than he helped due to the lack of continuity and consistency on the line in general.

Then again, I though the best place for Nick Williams was the CFL. He ended up signing as an UDFA and contributed on a few plays for my favorite team down D.C. way. So what do I know?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Here's he thing about the NFL draft. You only have to make one guy like you. Tebow got the Broncos to draft him in the first round. A HUGE mistake. But he went in round one because he convinced one GM to do it. Even if the other 31 NFL GMs knew better.
...and it contributed to getting Josh McDaniels fired.

Reaction Score
desmondconner2:15pm via Twitter for iPhone
About 11-12 #NFL teams talked to former#UConnFootball LT Jimmy Bennett this month at Medal of Honor Bowl; half were fairly in-depth

desmondconner2:19pm via Twitter for iPhone
Former #UConnFootball LT Bennett had four surgeries during career. There'll be ??s but he will be fully cleared by doctor his agent says..

desmondconner2:22pm via Twitter for iPhone
Former #UConnFootball LG Steve Greene working out in Pittsburgh with former teammate and roommate Jimmy Bennett... Still rooming together

desmondconner2:51pm via Twitter for iPhone
Former #UConnFootball LG Steve Greene working out with a chip on shoulder after not being selected to play in postseason showcases...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His first three years on the field were marred by injury. Staying fit to play is as valuable a skill as running a sub-5 second 40 and being able to pancake block. Like bmayuc and Diesel said it's not a reflection on the person, it's all about the player. In the pros, players are a commodity; Inventory on the field, if you will. Thinking along those lines as a UConn Football fan (former offensive line "coach" DeLeone notwithstanding), I think Bennett very well may have hurt UConn more than he helped due to the lack of continuity and consistency on the line in general.

Good grief. I have never heard anyone claim that you prevent knee injuries by being in shape. Your number is called or it isn't. And regardless of how the NFL considers young adults as commodities, don't expect any support on this board whatsoever for thinking that it's o.k. to refer to UConn student-athletes in so cavilier a manner just because NFL scouts may. You won't find support for that here (if there's a God in heaven.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then again, I though the best place for Nick Williams was the CFL. So what do I know?

You weren't alone. Nick Williams was dissed by several on this board (you know who you are) as not having NFL talent and his pursuit of it was considered a mere folly. The fact is that Nick is very well thought of by the new OC and the ST coaches of the Redskins. Look for him to have a much greater role next year.
And I wouldn't neccessarily discount Jimmy Bennett or Steve Greene's chances. It's a fact that some of our players now looking for an opportunity at the next level may not make it but in the end they are, and always will be, Huskies forever. That counts for a lot around here.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You weren't alone. Nick Williams was dissed by several on this board (you know who you are) as not having NFL talent and his pursuit of it was considered a mere folly. The fact is that Nick is very well thought of by the new OC and the ST coaches of the Redskins. Look for him to have a much greater role next year.
And I wouldn't neccessarily discount Jimmy Bennett or Steve Greene's chances. It's a fact that some of our players now looking for an opportunity at the next level may not make it but in the end they are, and always will be, Huskies forever. That counts for a lot around here.

I commented on another thread where Shane Day was hired by the 'Skins as an offensive assistant. I commented that he may be WR coach and Williams' roll could very well be solidified given Santana Moss's age.

Reaction Score
I commented on another thread where Shane Day was hired by the 'Skins as an offensive assistant. I commented that he may be WR coach and Williams' roll could very well be solidified given Santana Moss's age.

You still dissed Bennett. To say he hurt UConn more than he helped is so uncalled for. His character alone is worth more than you know.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Good grief. I have never heard anyone claim that you prevent knee injuries by being in shape. Your number is called or it isn't. And regardless of how the NFL considers young adults as commodities, don't expect any support on this board whatsoever for thinking that it's o.k. to refer to UConn student-athletes in so cavilier a manner just because NFL scouts may. You won't find support for that here (if there's a God in heaven.

I never said that. I said staying fit to play is as valuable a skill as any other physical attribute.

I just commented on the 2004 Red Sox in a different thread. Nomar Garciaparra was on a career trajectory that was supposed to end in Cooperstown. He got hit on the wrist by Al Reyes, and then again on the heel by a batted ball in spring training. Was that his fault? No, but the consequence is that Nomar is probably not getting into the Hall of Fame without a ticket.

The same thing applies here. Jimmy Bennett could have all the talent in the world, but unless he consistently proved it on the field, play after play, game after game and year after year, talent matters not to the team as a whole. As a fan, I heard too often: Just wait until Bennett comes back, then UConn's O-line will be awesome. That notion failed the eye test. BTW, you can do your part to prevent a knee injury by strengthening the muscles around the joint, but that in neither here nor there, because sometimes happens, as you say. I honestly do not recall if that particular injury was non-contact or not. He also suffered through shoulder and thumb surgeries as well as various other more minor injuries that may or may not have impeded his performance.

Second, I also didn't say anything about Jimmy Bennett the student, Jimmy Bennett the person, nor anything about Jimmy Bennett's work ethic during his recovery from his various surgeries and injuries. I commented on Bennett the player as a singular part of the football team as a whole, because that is the extent of our relationship (i.e. we don't have one). I offered my opinion on his NFL draft prospects and while I hope Bennett's degree allows him to engage in his interests inside and outside of football, there is not much I can personally contribute to his pursuits.

That being said, when I am watching a football game (or any other sporting event for that matter) at this level, I watch it as a fan. Generally, there are only two things I expect in return: 1) to be entertained; and 2) for those involved to do nothing outside the parameters of the game that gets in the way of their involvement in the game. Let me be clear, I do not wish any ill will on anybody, but I realized a long time ago (unless I am a friend, relative, or otherwise in their support circle) that these players, whether it be college or pro, on average care about me personally only up to the point that I fulfill my socially accepted responsibilities as a ticket bearing fan, which I do. I am not apologetic about it, nor about the fact that you think I should be.

You still dissed Bennett. To say he hurt UConn more than he helped is so uncalled for. His character alone is worth more than you know.

I'll ignore for the moment that you responded to a post that did not even refer to Bennett and that you took my comment about Bennett out of context. As a fan of teams at this level, one of my socially acceptable responsibilities is to be constructively critical of my favorite teams and the associated personnel. Again, I'm not apologetic about it.

Be that as it may. I'm sure Jimmy Bennett will sleep just fine tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99