UConn’s Dan Hurley Addresses Importance of Mental Health for Men: “It’s a Crisis” | The Boneyard

UConn’s Dan Hurley Addresses Importance of Mental Health for Men: “It’s a Crisis”

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
SIAP… pretty good quotes and a good article with Dan discussing mental health for men and how he has grown in handling his own mental health:

“Dan Hurley has captivated college basketball fans for years, most recently leading the UConn Huskies to consecutive national championships almost with ease. But part of the allure of Hurley lies in his reliability.

In an interview with OutKick’s "Don’t @ Me with Dan Dakich, Hurley spoke out about the importance of prioritizing mental health, especially with men

Being vulnerable about things, I think it shows true strength," Hurley, who has been open about his own struggles, said Friday.

"You have an opportunity here – for me as a man and as somebody that pushes himself and somebody that's in his 50s now and understands a lot more than he did when he was younger – just how you need to continually work on yourself and take care of yourself. Whether that's by what you read or what you listen to in terms of podcasts and books and mindfulness practices."

After winning his first national title last season, Hurley revealed that he suffered a panic attack just days after cutting down the nets”

Reaction Score
SIAP… pretty good quotes and a good article with Dan discussing mental health for men and how he has grown in handling his own mental health:

“Dan Hurley has captivated college basketball fans for years, most recently leading the UConn Huskies to consecutive national championships almost with ease. But part of the allure of Hurley lies in his reliability.

In an interview with OutKick’s "Don’t @ Me with Dan Dakich, Hurley spoke out about the importance of prioritizing mental health, especially with men

Being vulnerable about things, I think it shows true strength," Hurley, who has been open about his own struggles, said Friday.

"You have an opportunity here – for me as a man and as somebody that pushes himself and somebody that's in his 50s now and understands a lot more than he did when he was younger – just how you need to continually work on yourself and take care of yourself. Whether that's by what you read or what you listen to in terms of podcasts and books and mindfulness practices."

After winning his first national title last season, Hurley revealed that he suffered a panic attack just days after cutting down the nets”

I listened to his interview on Coach K’s show and K told him that he needs to use his voice now that he is the king of college hoops.
He’s doing just that…

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Good for him

Reaction Score
Hurley demonstrates many characteristics of a great leader. The part about the title not being as fulfilling as he expected was interesting to me, as I think a lot of great athletes/coaches experience that. It's always tempting to think that validation through achievement is the cure all, but it's usually not. I'm glad he, as someone who's been to the mountaintop twice now, is so open and honest about that. Not only will it help people who get to that mountaintop in the future maintain perspective and humility, but it'll also help the (many more) people who fall short learn to appreciate the journey.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I listened to his interview on Coach K’s show and K told him that he needs to use his voice now that he is the king of college hoops.
He’s doing just that…
Agreed, appreciate him speaking out on what is not only a sensitive issue nationally but for him directly as well

Reaction Score
Discussing Mens mental health, particularly in Sports, is very unusual. Usually it's someone who got in legal trouble or had a major drug addiction who talks about their mental health. This is the Back to Back National championship coach talking about it, not someone on the defensive.

As someone who has personally experienced major benefits from Therapy and Mindfulness, I appreciate Hurley more than ever.

Reaction Score
He’s doing just that…
Where can I find that?

Reaction Score
It is a crisis. There are not a lot of resources for men that need help.

Often men don't want to want to admit they need support.

Glad to see someone at Hurley's level advocating for such a hidden crisis.
Young men in particular are facing a huge crisis, and it simply isn't being talked about enough. Struggles with relationships, educational opportunities, employment are all contributing to a very difficult environment for young men trying to grow up, and it can take a very real toll on their mental health. It isn't good for them, isn't good for society, and I am glad to see anyone talking about it.

Reaction Score
I worry a lot about the kids growing up today who will be men within the next decade or so. In recent years, there's been a lot of casual (and sometimes hostile) misandry within our culture. I can't see that not having an adverse effect on boys who are growing up not knowing anything different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom