UCF's O'Leary Named Interim AD | The Boneyard

UCF's O'Leary Named Interim AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do they know that they are that close to P5 so they are waiting until that time so that they can hire a P5 AD?

Reaction Score
Do they know that they are that close to P5 so they are waiting until that time so that they can hire a P5 AD?
Of course they know that they are close to an invite. Anyone who we have ever even purported to call our rivals has gotten a golden ticket to the big leagues (i.e. Rutgers, BCU, Cuse). The Civil Conflict really sealed the deal for them here.

Reaction Score

I would think the inverse is true. If you're on the short list for a P5 invite, I would think your potential conference would want to see who you hire before giving you an invite. They aren't going to invest in you as a member if you go out there and get a weak hire.

Reaction Score
I would think the inverse is true. If you're on the short list for a P5 invite, I would think your potential conference would want to see who you hire before giving you an invite. They aren't going to invest in you as a member if you go out there and get a weak hire.

If that's the case, why are they waiting six months to hire an AD? O'Leary is going to be interim director of athletics through the end of 2015.

Reaction Score
If that's the case, why are they waiting six months to hire an AD? O'Leary is going to be interim director of athletics through the end of 2015.

Because they are still a bush league operation despite any recent success they had on the field?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It looks to me like there's a good chance that O'Leary becomes the athletic director and retires as football coach.

Reaction Score
It looks to me like there's a good chance that O'Leary becomes the athletic director and retires as football coach.

I think this more likely the case. Remember last year the reports that GOL was gone at end of season? My guess is that he had some sort of Barry Alvarez, tacit agreement with the administration.

Either way, I don't know that I see the wisdom in promoting a guy who the rest of the NCAA sees as kind of a joke (RE: the Notre Dame resume stuff, the sanctions against Georgia Tech after he left) as the head of your athletic department.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think UCF's worldview is that they don't particularly care about appearances.

After all, this is a school that continues to employ Donnie Jones.

And I think they're correct.

The Louisville/ACC kerfuffle solidified that as long as the facade looks good, no one cares how the building was built.

Reaction Score
George isn't seen as a joke. He is seen as a legitimate football coach. It really doesn't go any further than that, nobody cares that he lied on his resume. UCF realizes that George helps with their image as a football school. He is a proven commodity. It was a good idea to make him interim A.D. because it keeps him involved with the school. I'd be begging him to stay on as coach right now. George O'Leary coaching in the Big 12 is about as close to a guarantee for success as you can find. He's a winner and he'll put up big results recruiting players to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
George isn't seen as a joke. He is seen as a legitimate football coach. It really doesn't go any further than that, nobody cares that he lied on his resume. UCF realizes that George helps with their image as a football school. He is a proven commodity. It was a good idea to make him interim A.D. because it keeps him involved with the school. I'd be begging him to stay on as coach right now. George O'Leary coaching in the Big 12 is about as close to a guarantee for success as you can find. He's a winner and he'll put up big results recruiting players to the Big 12.

Did I miss something here? Did UCF get an invite?

Reaction Score
Glastonhusky said:
Did I miss something here? Did UCF get an invite?

Lol. No, the point is that O'Leary is taken seriously as an elite coach. UCF is positioning itself to come off as a serious football school if the B12 comes sniffing around. Anyone saying O'Leary is a joke or a cheater is living in the past.

Reaction Score
I saw on a Cincy board that they put out for bids today on an 80mm complete redo of their basketball arena. That is on top of the 80mm fball redo just being completed. A lot of activity for a lame duck. We'll see. One thing for sure, this realignment generally comes out of nowhere, but standing still is not likely the best of strategies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read on the UConn board that UConn is adding D1 sports like lacrosse and just had a major upgrade to hockey program. They just built a 30 something million men's and women's basketball practice facility. Not one for both but two identical facilities in the same building! They pay their coaches pretty well for a G5 school that only makes like a million from television money. Where's there smoke, there's fire. I think they must know something.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I read on the UConn board that UConn is adding D1 sports like lacrosse and just had a major upgrade to hockey program. They just built a 30 something men's and women's basketball practice facility. Not one for both but two identical facilities in the same building! They pay their coaches pretty well for a G5 school that only makes like a million from television money. Where's there smoke, there's fire. I think they must know something.

I LOVE the smoke = fire analogy! Here is some more smoke I've noted/commented on over the past few months - skiblets spring game conversation/hint, competing with p5 for many 2016 fb recruits, diaco allowed to reboot the fb program sacrificing 2014 aac success for potential p5 success later, maryland and osu on the mens bball schedule next year, no public campaigning for CR by administration (gag order?), push to dissolve the alumni association to replace its function within the uconn foundation, etc. Am i forgetting anything that we will look back when we are in a p5 and say it was smoke that was part of the behind the scenes CR fire? Logic tells me that all of these are signs that we will be moving at some point in the relatively near future - either that or we want to be the lords of the g5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom