U Miami looking to build a 40k stadium closer to campus. | The Boneyard

U Miami looking to build a 40k stadium closer to campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Just play games at the new Marlins park.
There won't be in any Fall post season contention with the Marlins to interfere on Saturdays.

I was in SoBe 3 weeks ago for a sales meeting and one of our group events was a Marlins / Mets game.
What a wonderful venue.
And so close to campus.

Plus the center field Clevelander outpost was a blast complete with girls getting spray painted nude next to the swimming pool in the bar.

Reaction Score
Just play games at the new Marlins park.
There won't be in any Fall post season contention with the Marlins to interfere on Saturdays.

I was in SoBe 3 weeks ago for a sales meeting and one of our group events was a Marlins / Mets game.
What a wonderful venue.
And so close to campus.

Plus the center field Clevelander outpost was a blast complete with girls getting spray painted nude next to the swimming pool in the bar.

Isn't the Marlins' stadium located where the old Orange Bowl used to be?

Property is really high around the U's campus. Going to be a challenge for them to find a site.

Reaction Score
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-to-meet-miami-hurricanes-about-joint-stadium

For all the P5 stadium hysteria, this says something about the future of college football.
From what I understand they need to do something down there? I don't know where their fanbase is cause it seems like they have no real fanbase in Miami. I read on another board today that they "UMiami" are only the 3rd most popular CFB team in Miami on their own local news station?? After UF and FSU. Theirs a thread on RU's rivals board on CR arms war race saying that very thing just today!! I'm no expert as you all know but recent gameday photo's of the Canes stadium seem to support that assumption!?!

Reaction Score
I think the "U" would be wise to get into a smaller venue to give the impression of a rabid fanbase but when teams like FSU or ND come calling it will feel like an away game to the Canes. I guess Shalala succeded in changing the old BE "U"s image into a tamer one in the ACC!?!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-to-meet-miami-hurricanes-about-joint-stadium

For all the P5 stadium hysteria, this says something about the future of college football.

Maybe. But I also think this says a lot about this...

65661710.jpg

Reaction Score
Miami's Sun Life Stadium is undergoing a major renovation in 2 or 3 stages starting this year.
This is what it looks like from last month
miami1.jpg

After final stage it will look like this.

miami3.jpg

Reaction Score
Some of those seats appear to be miles away from the field.
Like their fans who prefer spending their weekend at the beach. Good pic though..gives an impression their are people in the seats in the lower pic.

Reaction Score
Are they really gonna call it Miami Beckham United?

Like the 1920s with the NFL named after owners.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Shalala has said the team would benefit from a 40,000-seat stadium close to campus."

If a 40K Stadium is good enough for the U, what is wrong with UConn playing in the Rent, a 40K stadium, in a P5 conference?
Because Miami would be playing there not UConn.

Reaction Score
I think that's it...Miami is a storied program with five national championships.....The world loves a Cinderella but loves even more...a fallen giant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that's it...Miami is a storied program with five national championships.....The world loves a Cinderella but loves even more...a fallen giant.
Nah, the world loves to tear down a champion and look back and say what a shame they were once great.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is halftime of the Cincy game where they announced paid attendance of 43,000....

BzsCiksIMAAZVIu.jpg

Miami's biggest problem is that it really doesn't have a very large fan base. It's the third or fourth most popular program in the state these days and that's not going to regularly fill a 50,000 seat stadium. It's UF's world down there.

Miami's second-biggest problem is their past. When they're winning, they're cheating. I think it's finally dawned on them that they can't endure yet another round of sanctions, so they might actually be committed to playing by the rules for a while. Less winning, fewer fans, more empty seats....

Build a right-sized stadium for their fan base, move it closer to campus and then be happy enough with 30-35,000 actual paids per game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Miami never had much of a dedicated fan base. When they did draw crowds it was mostly followers of a fad due to the ridiculous success they had and the outlaw image they projected during that time. As a run of the mill team, those who want to see a dominant program in action won't waste their time or money (this was likely 50% of their attendance back then) and those who want to see the villain (another 20%-25%) will stay home.

At best (shy of returning to 'Tha U', which Shalala has been absolutely against, I doubt that her successor will have a drastically different viewpoint) they can hope to match Northwestern, a similar private school, who comes reasonably close to filling a 47k seat football stadium.

Reaction Score
They were named after a company.

Miami Beckham United is just the name of the investment company. If the team becomes named that, I won't know whether to laugh or cry.

I would think, most of all, Beckham wouldn't allow that to happen. It will have a fake, generic name like Futbol Club Miami.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aren't the Browns named after Paul Brown?

Reaction Score
Miami football, being saved by a soccer team. How the mighty have fallen.

Reaction Score
Miami is back to recruiting well....ranked #2 so far for 2016 class...(Rivals)..#3 in 247 composite team rankings.

Even if they fall back some in the rankings, they will have a very good class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom