SG Tyus Battle (Syracuse Commit) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SG Tyus Battle (Syracuse Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Hopefully, Syracuse will drop since Boeheim will probably be out as coach by then. How much longer will Coach K. coach? He'll be 70 and not many coaches coach past 70. This uncertainty is going to start impacting Duke's recruiting the way JC's health issues and retirement talk impacted UCONN.

Reaction Score
The fact that he wants the opportunity to play both on and off the ball is a good sign. If he has a good handle and some PG skill, UConn's history of playing multiple PGs who switch on and off the ball should be attractive.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Looking at his list kind of makes me happy. I know he's likely not coming here, but clearly he wants to go to a blue blood program, and recognizes us as such. Just a reality check for the melodramatic people who always cry about us not getting the credit we deserve. We aren't the world's victim.

Everything is set up nicely for Ollie now that our scholarship ban is over. He just needs to find his stride recruiting (maybe a little extra help too), and keep developing his kids to the best of his ability.

Reaction Score
Looking at his list kind of makes me happy. I know he's likely not coming here, but clearly he wants to go to a blue blood program, and recognizes us as such. Just a reality check for the melodramatic people who always cry about us not getting the credit we deserve. We aren't the world's victim.

grasping-at-straws.jpg

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

Everything is set up nicely for Ollie now that our scholarship ban is over. He just needs to find his stride recruiting (maybe a little extra help too), and keep developing his kids to the best of his ability.
So basically, one of these seasons he gets the recruiting thing in line? Did you ever think that if you have a few years of taking mid-majors and project recruits, after a while, we won't even be on the radar of top recruits? To quote Apollo Creed from Rocky III. "There is no tomorrow!!!"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So basically, one of these seasons he gets the recruiting thing in line? Did you ever think that if you have a few years of taking mid-majors and project recruits, after a while, we won't even be on the radar of top recruits? To quote Apollo Creed from Rocky III. "There is no tomorrow!!!"

You act as if mid-majors and projects are all we take. Not the case. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Little.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You act as if mid-majors and projects are all we take. Not the case. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Little.
No, as I said is a previous post, getting one good recruit per year is not gonna cut it. We just won a national championship and we've got about ten threads about us taking Ivy League transfers and other schools recruiting failure players, and missing out on our (32) 2015 targets. Is that where we are now? But we're freeing up scholarships for 2017....What are we the Knicks and salary cap hell?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
No, as I said is a previous post, getting one good recruit per year is not gonna cut it. We just won a national championship and we've got about ten threads about us taking Ivy League transfers and other schools recruiting failure players, and missing out on our (32) 2015 targets. Is that where we are now? But we're freeing up scholarships for 2017....What are we the Knicks and salary cap hell?

Gosh, does this post reek of entitlement. Recruits don't care one iota about championships. Fans do because it pads our egos. Why do you think Texas A&M and Florida State each have 4 Top 100 recruits this year?

You act like just because a kid played for Cornell means he's not UCONN quality. That's such an egregiously irrational assumption. Whether or not a player is good enough for UCONN depends on his skill level and talent alone, not where he comes from. You also assume that because it doesn't work out for a kid at one school, the rest of his career is toast. I could provide you with numerous examples of successful transfers all across the highest levels of CBB, but it's about time you do some damn research instead of whining about how you want more burger boys on the roster. I know you're one of the crowd that wants us to bring in a UK-sized haul of 5-star players, but that's not realistic. Get a clue.

And for what it's worth, I don't care who we miss out on. I care about who we end up with. Does anyone on this board give a single duck* about Doron Lamb, Brandon Jennings, or Brandon Knight?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Doesn't it bother you that we throw out more scholarship offers than any other program and close the fewest? Glad to see our coaches are looking for players that have the skill sets to fit our style of play. I guess there are just a lot of players like that.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Doesn't it bother you that we throw out more scholarship offers than any other program and close the fewest? Glad to see our coaches are looking for players that have the skill sets to fit our style of play. I guess there are just a lot of players like that.

Where is your proof that we offer more scholarships than any other program?

Reaction Score
I met him after the Texas game this year. He was a very nice, humble and down to earth kid (it was weird too because now our recruits are in the same HS graduating class as I am). Glad he is considering UConn and wish the best for him

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Where is your proof that we offer more scholarships than any other program?
If you go to VerbalCommits you can see a pretty comprehensive list of open offers for each year. We tend to offer quite a few, which is the same strategy as Louisville, Florida, Cincinnati, Kansas and Indiana. Right now we've got 20 open offers for 2016; those five teams are all in the 18-21 range.

On the flip side are teams like Kentucky, UCLA, UNC, Duke, Michigan and Michigan State, who all have somewhere between 7 and 11 open offers.

Obviously a lot of this has to do with the number of scholarships you expect to have to fill. In general I think it's fair to say KO casts a wide net, though it's unclear whether that's a long-term strategy or a temporary necessity as we continue to put distance between ourselves and the recruiting sanctions from earlier this decade.

This, however:

Doesn't it bother you that we throw out more scholarship offers than any other program and close the fewest?
Is a load of crap.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
This, however:

Is a load of crap.

Amen. Recruiting isn't like fishing - you're not going to get more bites just because you cast more lines. Recruiting is not a passive process, far too many variables go into the process.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Yea it's unfathomable how we have to cast a wider net in recruiting than the Kentucky's, Duke's, Kansas' and UNC's of the world.............................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom