Two Questions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The Cubs just celebrated 0/100 yrs. Would do you think one of their fans, would trade for 1 title?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The Cubs and the Vikings are IN the major league of their sport. The analogy doesn't work. Plus, regardless of conference, we won't automatically turn into the Cubs. We are UCONN with a history of success.

If we were like most teams and had perhaps one shot at a championship (let's say Syracuse) I would grab the title. But we are an NCAA powerhouse with multiple titles and posed for more. I take the B1G.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
We've gotten so used to winning championships that people would be willing to give one up for some unforeseeable future glory. Yes it could be bleak outside the P5 in the future, but it's also far from a settled situation. You take the title every ------ time.
THIS. Apparently most people on this board are think they are Nostradamus and already know exactly how the future plays out. Kudos to you guys. However, as Inyatkin correctly pointed out, the future is far from a settled situation (for a countless number of reasons). If you prophets want to fret about the potential landscape 10 to 20 years from now, by all means go ahead and do that. You're still a bunch of crazies for saying you'd trade a national freaking championship for anything.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
If we were like most teams and had perhaps one shot at a championship (let's say Syracuse) I would grab the title. But we are an NCAA powerhouse with multiple titles and posed for more. I take the B1G.
Stuff like this is the epitome of how spoiled (and jaded) some of our fans have gotten. "But we are an NCAA powerhouse with multiple titles and posed for more". What is the basis for this statement of divine right? Just looking at statistics like ranking, seeding, recruits ratings, RPI, etc., Kansas and Michigan State are more consistently "powerhouses". Aren't they also "poised for more [titles]"? Kansas is blue blood that is always a 1 or 2 seed and Michigan State is in the Final Four it seems like every time I look up. Yet Kansas only has only 3 titles total for their eternity and Michigan State hasn't taken home the crown since 2000, despite all those trips to the Final Four. Winning a championship is really freaking hard and I don't think a lot of you guys remotely appreciate that fact.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I'm sure Indiana and UCLA feel like they're NCAA powerhouses with multiple titles, too, but they've been waiting a long time for the next championship. You never give one up.

Reaction Score
Part of this is about hope. If we KNOW that we will be in the AAC for eternity ahead of time then you lose hope for the future of UConn athletics. Thus I'd sacrifice 1 championship to be in a conference (B1G) that gives us hope in all sports.

Now if the option was lose championship and get in the B1G immediately versus win championship but CR carries on like it is now - then I take the championship as at least we can still have hope that the ACC or B1G will invite us soon.

"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." - Coelho

Reaction Score
Bazz would go out if he were a junior. His stock is as high as it can ever get.

I'd take the championship. But I only care about basketball, and championships are very, very hard to get. From 1990 to the present the entire B1G has won exactly one championship. So how many more could the conference membership get us? As great as I expect UConn and Ollie to be, it is very much within the realm of possibility that none of us will ever see another championship in our lifetimes regardless of conference membership.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So you guys don't think being in the B1G puts us in a better position for the foreseeable future? Of course it does.
This is a hypothetical question, right? No lives will be lost based our responses?. It was posed as a question that had 2 choices, right? We all love UCONN.
Save the intensity for the Superman vs Batman duel.

But hard as this choice is (and I waited almost 30 years for a Championship) I think UCONN is better off in a major conference with one less championship. The odds of our becoming irrelevant seem more remote that way. And the odds are better that we remain competitive that way too.

Reaction Score
I love winning. And championships is the goal. That having been said, the most important thing is that I get to share big game moments over the years with my sons, and God willing one day my grandchildren. If losing the Championship means a near more certain path for more big games over the next 40 years, than that would be a trade I would make.

Reaction Score
1) If Bazz had a year like this including winning a title as a jr he would probably be a lottery pick so he would be gone. ( back in the summers to get his degree though)
2) This year's run was too amazing to give up. I'll take the guaranteed championship and the joy it brought over an uncertain future even if it is in the B1G
3) Now let's pretend that Kate Upton was delivering my pizza and ....... ooh gotta go, doorbell

Reaction Score
I'd rather have that runs and Championships than being in a lesser conference and never winning one in the modern era.

Huh?

Would you rather be Wisconsin who has played in a lesser yet still good conference forever and has only come close to a championship twice in the last 70 YEARS? How about BC? Would they trade a championship to be in a lesser conference?

Wisconsin?? Huh? If we got into the B1G you don’t think we could attract studs for basketball? You think we’d only be “Wisconsin?” Really????

You have to understand, there are diehards like us, for other schools out there, who NEVER come close to championships despite playing in great conferences (I'm talking to you PITT, BC, FSU, ST. John's, Providence, Oklahoma, etc.) I am sure they would trade it in for one year.

You have to understand there are diehard fans like us, for other schools that would love nothing more than for us to eventually wither away and remain in some glorified “Yankee Conference.”

As a Vikings fan, at this point, I would take ONE, just ONE magical run for the next decade of mediocrity. Just one, to avenge all the years of losses, close calls (87,88,2000) and choke jobs (98, 09), and be a happy man

I’m a Red Sox fan. I used to say that. But after you win- whether it be the next year or the year after or the year after - if you stink you get just as mad. You can’t forget that you’re a fan the next year and next year and next year. You just can’t turn that off. With that comes expectations. That one title goes away-- awaiting the next.

If we don’t find a conference – at some point Ollie will have tougher time getting prime recruits. He’ll leave. You – as the fan- will look forward to watching your team get into NCAA’s. A team in the B1G such as RU will go 8-8 and get in while UCONN will have 4 losses all season and get a NIT bid. Wait until you’ve poured your heart into several seasons like that only to have the quacks from the NCAA pull the rug from underneath you. Those titles will be a distant memory.

What will be more important to you is you’ll begin to ask “Why am I wasting my valuable time for a quack NCAA committee that won’t give us a chance?” You’ll yearn to get into a Big Conference.

Reaction Score
MikeSol12 said:
I don't think people here understand how incredible of an achievement it is to be crowned national champions. We had to beat St Joes, Villanova, ISU, Michigan State, Florida, and Kentucky back to back to back to back to back to back. We did the impossible. 100 to 1 odds to be exact.

This.

Just because we make it look easy doesn't mean it is. Most schools are lucky just to get there and we've been fortunate enough to win 4. Don't take for granted how difficult it is to win it all.

Reaction Score
This.

Just because we make it look easy doesn't mean it is. Most schools are lucky just to get there and we've been fortunate enough to win 4. Don't take for granted how difficult it is to win it all.

We've made it look easy? Huh???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34