Turning Point | The Boneyard

Turning Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the 2nd half, a charge was called on Boatright that very easily could have been a block on Siva and foul #3. If only...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we never did get old mo back again

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Boatright went to Siva's right. Siva slid over about eight inches. Was clear on the replay. The refs were not going to give Boatright the benefit because a Ville player was trailing Boat essentially obscuring the best view for the ref who should have made the call.

I was more upset with the ESPN crew for not pointing out the slide. But they weren't about to take away hype for the #1 team in the country. They have ratings to be concerned about.

Reaction Score
Boatright went to Siva's right. Siva slid over about eight inches. Was clear on the replay. The refs were not going to give Boatright the benefit because a Ville player was trailing Boat essentially obscuring the best view for the ref who should have made the call.

I was more upset with the ESPN crew for not pointing out the slide. But they weren't about to take away hype for the #1 team in the country. They have ratings to be concerned about.
Stop. ESPN IS NOT WHY WE LOST THIS GAME

Reaction Score
I also think Boat's quickness has the potential to hurt him himon block/charge calls, and I think that's what happened there. The guy moves so fast that it looks like he's out of control and just steamrolling through people.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Stop. ESPN IS NOT WHY WE LOST THIS GAME
How did you come up with your statement from what I wrote. I never said ESPN was the reason for the loss. I just stated that none of the broadcasting crew pointed out Siva sliding when it was obvious from the replay they aired. It didn't bother me at all that they chose to ignore it. I fully understand that they have a season of games that they need to generate national excitement and they televise a BE tournament in which UConn won't be playing. So in other situations where they may have made some remark that Siva moved but the calls are difficult for refs, they said nada on this play.

Reaction Score
As bad as the officials were I thought that was a charge, Boatright ran full steam into Siva. As soon as Boat got the steal and saw a bunch of Louisville guys in front of him I was yelling slow down slow down slow down, I like the aggressiveness but Boatright and Napier needed to conserve their energy for later in the game for us to have any shot, it is what it is.

Reaction Score
You can slide and still take a charge.

This one wasn't close. He slid in and undercut Boat, who beat him cleanly when he leaned the other way. Siva never even remotely approached good defensive position. It was as easy a block call as you'll ever see.

I bitched about it in real time, but realistically, stuff happens over 40 minutes. Had we played well in the second half and won, an early second half block/charge call would have been a forgotten footnote to the game. Had they called it right, perhaps Siva sits there with his third and never gets in a rhythm all night, but we'll never know.

Reactions: SJ

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As bad as the officials were I thought that was a charge, Boatright ran full steam into Siva.

Nah. I had a perfect view of the play. Boat never charged on that play, he stayed in his open lane.

Reaction Score
This one wasn't close. He slid in and undercut Boat, who beat him cleanly when he leaned the other way. Siva never even remotely approached good defensive position. It was as easy a block call as you'll ever see.

I bitched about it in real time, but realistically, stuff happens over 40 minutes. Had we played well in the second half and won, an early second half block/charge call would have been a forgotten footnote to the game. Had they called it right, perhaps Siva sits there with his third and never gets in a rhythm all night, but we'll never know.

I don't know, I thought Boat was out of control as he changed direction and made contact with Siva.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I thought Boat was out of control as he changed direction and made contact with Siva.

He was coming fast, yes, but that doesn't mean it's a charge. If the defender doesn't get there, it's a block. Siva anticipated pass, leaned to his left, and then when he was beat, leaned back in underneath Boat, who had a clear path.

Frankly, he would have gotten a yellow card in soccer for a late challenge.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He was coming fast, yes, but that doesn't mean it's a charge. If the defender doesn't get there, it's a block. Siva anticipated pass, leaned to his left, and then when he was beat, leaned back in underneath Boat, who had a clear path.

Frankly, he would have gotten a yellow card in soccer for a late challenge.
He not only leaned he slid his feet sideways as well. RB clearly had him beat. UConn should have lost this game because the discrepancy between post players was significant. But the non calls or in this case the charging calls really neutralized guard play. It didn't bother their guards because they weren't challenged by our bigs.

SJ

Reaction Score
Siva definitely leaned and had one foot not planted. I do think it changed momentum some. Yet, I know it's part of the fun, but we always seem to figure out why we didn't win. Some of it is just plain luck. None of our shots were falling for a while and I don't think they were all poor selection. Some of it really is luck (combined with crappy refs and a deep teamed opponent). I hate Pitt and I hope we go at them with a vengeance and rip their f.ing head off. :)

Reaction Score
Speaking of non calls, how about the beheading of Daniels on his dunk? They are number one for a reason. If Tyler showed up this game, it would have been closer. Learn from it and move on.

As Ollie said, "Flush it down the toliet".

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the 2nd half, a charge was called on Boatright that very easily could have been a block on Siva and foul #3. If only...

i thought this exact same thing. what came to my mind is JC right away goes after a ref and gets a T for it. the players and crowd rise up and we stop the momentum shift like old times. we started off bad in the half so it was a perfect JC moment to do his thing...different team, coach and year now tho. but yea, i thought he was not set and that was a foul on siva. i told myself i would wait for the 1st 5 game stretch to end and then add my thoughts of the 5 in my long ass post/thread i created after the ooc games. but i had to 2cents on this....

Reaction Score
We started turning it over at the start of the second half then had a scoring drought. I believe that was the turning point.

Reaction Score
....and that was a BS call too. Saw it clearly. Siva slid to the right.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
in person, it looked like a fast break with everyone running down court together

is it even plausible for the defensive player to have established position? he was running as fast as Boat to get to the same spot. Advantage offense

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The game changed when Siva started to play. They were the better team and dissected our weaknesses with a fine knife in the second half. You have to give credit where it is due.

Reaction Score
We started turning it over at the start of the second half then had a scoring drought. I believe that was the turning point.

There were a few turning points. But that's what happens on days like this. After Omar hit 3 FTs and we were within three, the place was finally back into it. Behanan then put up a brick that hit the dead spot where the rim meets the backboard, went up in the air, and fell in. On another day - that bucket is maybe just a meaningless moment in a game. Tonight, it was the last we heard of the crowd.

It's possible that the Bazz miss in the corner and the Siva three on the break was immediately after that - or maybe a possession or two later. When it could have gone down to 2 and instead went to 8. Have that brick fall out, have the Bazz 3 go in, we're tied and who knows?

When you're a top five team, though, you can easily recover from a bad 60 seconds, or a tough break, or a call that doesn't go your way. When you're outmanned, you can have "slippage" in a hurry. You're hanging in and hanging in, and all of a sudden there's a momentum swing, you force a bad shot, give up a fast break or two and you're out of it before you can blink.

Best part of 77-74 was I kept worrying about that moment of slippage and it never came. Every time we needed the bucket (starting with Ricky's drive down 9-2) to stop some slight bleeding, we got it.

Reaction Score
Speaking of non calls, how about the beheading of Daniels on his dunk? They are number one for a reason. If Tyler showed up this game, it would have been closer. Learn from it and move on.

As Ollie said, "Flush it down the toliet".

He got absolutely wrecked on that, could have been a flagrant.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The game changed when Siva started to play. They were the better team and dissected our weaknesses with a fine knife in the second half. You have to give credit where it is due.

That's my whole point. If Siva got #3 that early in the 2nd half, he'd have surely gone back to the bench, at least for a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom