Tulane Trip Shaping Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulane Trip Shaping Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Major monkey wrench in overall planning. Was planning on getting there mid-Friday afternoon but looks like I'll be travelling home from work that day. Short notice trip may require return flight from trip to New Orleans.

Chin, I may be making the trip solo. Will find out for sure this week.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
If you are limiting yourself to Bourbon Street you are missing the essence of the city. The live music is without question my favorite on the planet, and the food and people aren't far behind. I could never live there because of the humidity, but I can't go too long without going there, either, because the spirit of the place is so unique

Check www.offbeat.com for live music listings, as well as www.wwoz.org (which is also great to stream for a sense of what it is like).

Frenchman Street (blue Nile dba. Apple barrel buffas etc)
Howlin wolf
Tipitina's
Rock n bowl
Maple leaf
Chickie wAh wah
Ms maes

Your best friend is United Cab 504 522 9771. 504 524 9606. In your phone . NOW!!!!

Reaction Score
got tickets today Section 15 row o. Have 4 tix only need two want them lmk. Need to book hotel tonight and restaurants. Does you carpet match your drapes?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chin, I may be making the trip solo. Will find out for sure this week.

I put in the Tulane Game Time thread that I got jammed at work. Gotta fly out Sunday. A 200 mile drive from New Orleans to home and making it to the airport for a 2pm flight has way too many variables that could go wrong (the biggest being me let loose on the French Quarter after a game that starts a 7pm CDT.).

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Ok - think we have decided this is the away game we will be going to this fall -

Many of you did the trip last year...suggestions?

Reaction Score
I thought the place was awesome when we went in March. Four days and we didn't even scratch the surface.
Been there 3 times. Twice on business once to Mardi Gras. Dirty messy and wild. Took me 3 weeks to recover from Mardi Gras and I still remember it, some Arkansas coed and the alley behind Bourbon St with a fondness for lost youth. The music is incredible, food is spectacular. Audubon Park is cool and the golf course there is surprisingly good. If you're looking for Blueback Square this ain't it. If you want real you can't beat NOLA

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Been there 3 times. Twice on business once to Mardi Gras. Dirty messy and wild. Took me 3 weeks to recover from Mardi Gras and I still remember it, some Arkansas coed and the alley behind Bourbon St with a fondness for lost youth. The music is incredible, food is spectacular. Audubon Park is cool and the golf course there is surprisingly good. If you're looking for Blueback Square this ain't it. If you want real you can't beat NOLA
So if we are going Friday to Sunday with game included - what are the MUST do's?
Accommodation recommendations?
Restaurant recommendations?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
NO is among the best places in the world to hang out. I've found it far better when there is very little going on than during some event (such as Mardi Gras).

Missed by a few days what would have been an ideal road trip. If the Giants-Saints game was one week later a four day weekend in NO would have been perfect.

Reaction Score
I believe that with the addition of Navy football this season the AAC did a do-over of the league scheduling matchups going forward. Consecutive home games against a common opponent should be a one time thing this year assuming no more AAC football teams are added or deleted. Yeah New Orleans is a fun place to visit and Tulane a beautiful campus with an almost new, intimate stadium. So I am all in on being at Tulane two years in a row.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was originally thinking BYU for away game this year but Tulane might win out simply for New Orleans... Never been and I really want to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We went to a few of what might be called tourist trap places - Mother's, K-Paul's and Emeril's. And I thought they were all great, good for Emeril. Get the Andouille Crusted Drum. We went to a little dump called Coop's Place that supposedly had the best fried chicken. And that was great, the two breasts selection. We stumbled on a joint near our hotel called Howlin Wolf. It turns out to be a concert venue, but no tickets are needed for the cool bar area. We ended up closing every night there for the last couple of Abita Jockamo's and a snack. They have great Cuban Sandwiches made by a sandwich-making savant. Just don't go up to him and ask if yours is ready yet, My GF did and he growled saying go back and wait until your name is called. Yes sir, it was well worth it. We had another the next night. And the next.

My point is it's a great place to explore and drink. Don't tie yourself down to a set list, just relax and try different places. And drink.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
New Orleans is a great city for a weekend or a weeklong conference. Plenty of great food and entertainment choices. By the time you realize the city is a dump, that smells, it's time to go home.

You literally can't go wrong trying to figure out food/fun for a UConn football weekend. Just realize you won't hit everything, so make a choice between popular touristy locations or local joints.

Reaction Score
If you like Oysters, the fried oyster po-boy and the grilled oysters at Drago's are must haves. The only must do down there are the beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumonde.

... and a muffuletta and amaretto cookie from Central Grocery!

Reaction Score
... and a muffuletta and amaretto cookie from Central Grocery!

See, I found that extremely overrated. Nothing special about it all. It's novetly in the same vain as the pimento cheese sandwiches at The Masters.

Reaction Score
See, I found that extremely overrated. Nothing special about it all. It's novetly in the same vain as the pimento cheese sandwiches at The Masters.

The sandwich or the cookie?

The hot muffuletta @ Cochon Butcher is pretty good (admittedly of sandwich/hoagie/grinder guy)

Reaction Score
The sandwich or the cookie?

The hot muffuletta @ Cochon Butcher is pretty good (admittedly of sandwich/hoagie/grinder guy)

I never had the cookie. Not a fan of the sandwich. The mortadella and olive spread doesn't do it for me.

Reaction Score
I never had the cookie. Not a fan of the sandwich. The mortadella and olive spread doesn't do it for me.

One of my best friends went on and on and on about it. And I kept explaining that I just don't like olives. You could make the best muffaletta in the world but it won't make me a fan of olives. It's unbelievable how people can't understand something like, "Just cause you like it doesn't mean I will."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom