True Detective Season 2 | The Boneyard

True Detective Season 2

Reaction Score
Might as well get this going.

I was very innebriated last night so I need to give it a rewatch but I remember thinking it was a solid start. The casting may not be what it was last season but it's not like they're awful, and the writing is what the show is about anyway. I'm sure they casted to fit the "feel" of this season.

Reaction Score
Agreed, it was a solid start (and I was sober). Actually liked this episode 1 better than last seasons episode 1 (it took about 3 episodes for last season to suck me in, and I ended up loving it).
The scene where Colin Farrell dealt with the school bully left my wife with her her jaw dropped open and speachless for a good minute.

Reaction Score
I really liked parts of it, (The scene with the brass knuckles was crazy, and any Colin Ferrell interaction was awesome. Not sure how I feel about McAdams yet, we'll see how it goes. I accept that this will not be the same as last season and I'm starting to come to terms with that. I was really confused about a lot of the character pasts, but I'm sure we'll find out more soon. I really like the music and the intro again. Very well done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I liked it. Not like last years, but it could be interesting. Was a bit confused to start with, what are they doing jumping around so much? Is this all 1 day, or a few days (or 1 day for some, a couple weeks for others??) (still not sure of that). But then I read the details on the guide (on the TV) and it said something like 3 police from different backgrounds/jurisdictions come together to solve a murder. Then at the end it all kind of fit.

But I assume it will be a bit like last years and things in the past episodes will make more sense in future episodes.

Reaction Score
They definitely toned down the metaphysical / philosophic aspect of it. Or maybe that was just McConaughey. ;)

Reaction Score
They definitely toned down the metaphysical / philosophic aspect of it. Or maybe that was just McConaughey. ;)
I'm wagering McConaughey and Harrelson had some pretty interesting sessions while running lines, where they usually ended up with the munchies

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That stuff fits in better down in Louisiana with Voodoo and everything. And McConaughey.

Reaction Score
That stuff fits in better down in Louisiana with ?Voodoo and everything. And McConaughey.
C'mon guys it's episode one. Did we have any indication how "metaphysical/philosophic" season one would be in episode 1?

What is it with some of you guys and making immediate, week-to-week, unfounded snap judgments

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
C'mon guys it's episode one. Did we have any indication how "metaphysical/philosophic" season one would be in episode 1?
Yea, pretty much. You had already been shown the murder scene with all the weird staging. They'd already mentioned the spaghetti monster. And then you had Cohle...ramblings. Yea, you knew it was gonna be pretty weird.

Reaction Score
Yea, pretty much. You had already been shown the murder scene with all the weird staging. They'd already mentioned the spaghetti monster. And then you had Cohle...ramblings. Yea, you knew it was gonna be pretty weird.
So "metaphysical" and "philosophical" are now synonymous with "weird"

Gotcha

Reaction Score
I really liked it. A friend asked me what the deal is with this show, and I told him that it was a conspiracy/mystery story involving the California highway system. That pitch alone was intriguing enough to get him to watch. This show mixes something really mundane with the bizarre. I don't think it's weird at all.

Colin Farrell isn't really acting out of his normal zone, but Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams are really interesting here.

Reaction Score
Agreed, it was a solid start (and I was sober). Actually liked this episode 1 better than last seasons episode 1 (it took about 3 episodes for last season to suck me in, and I ended up loving it).
The scene where Colin Farrell dealt with the school bully left my wife with her her jaw dropped open and speachless for a good minute.

Yeah my girlfriend was conflicted. She loved what he did but hated it as well, hoping we get more scenes like that.

The motorcyle scene at the end was just good TV.

So my first guess is that this about some weird human trafficking cult that relies on the highways and for some reason they don't want the rail line developed.

Reaction Score

What is it with some of you guys and making immediate, week-to-week, unfounded snap judgments

Dear Lord, relax. It's not like we said Brimah would have a terrible season after playing Bryant.

Reaction Score
I really liked it. A friend asked me what the deal is with this show, and I told him that it was a conspiracy/mystery story involving the California highway system. That pitch alone was intriguing enough to get him to watch. This show mixes something really mundane with the bizarre. I don't think it's weird at all.

Colin Farrell isn't really acting out of his normal zone, but Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams are really interesting here.

I do like how they showed Mulholland Dr.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the first season of True Detective was good, not great, so I am only going to get hung up on one difference with this season. I thought the setting for True Detective I was so powerful that it was like its own character in the show. The Louisiana landscapes were so visually striking, that I think it carried the show through some pretty major plotholes and a mediocre ending. It was interesting, and a setting I had not seen a thousand times in other shows/movies.

Which is why I don't need to see another show with a superjohn for LA or New York. We have such a big, sprawling country that I think setting this season in southern California is just lazy. I would have liked the decay and desperation of a Detroit or Pittsburgh, or the barren frigidity of Minnesota, or the beauty of the Rockies, or the permanent greyness of the Pacific Northwest, or the emptiness of the desert, or quiet solitude of New England, or pretty much anywhere but freaking LA. LA is a soulless paradise. I get it. Next.

BTW, was David Morse's commune the same one from Mad Men?

Reaction Score
I want to like this season so that will by 6 weeks or so from me. I have liked all the scenes with Colin F, but I thought the Director tried to jam too much character development into one episode. We know too much about them for one episode... I think I would have liked it more if they simmered a bit.

Reaction Score
I've enjoyed the first two episodes but didn't see that coming at the end of episode 2, not sure how I feel about them killing off the character I care the most about.

Reaction Score
I have to re-watch it. I started watching, fell asleep maybe 10 minutes in due to an acute case of Sunday Fun Day activities, and woke up to catch the final scene with no idea how the hell they even got there. WTF!!! Will watch in its entirety tonight.

Reaction Score
not thrilled about them killing off Ferrell, but in the preview the cop didn't mention anything about him dying. hopefully he didn't, but if he survived, those shotgun shells were defective. he, in real life, should be dead.

Reaction Score
No idea on whether he is dead or not. But I like where this is going. Two or three cops in an investigation possibly set up to fail, all three have differing agendas with their masters. But Ferrell maybe changes the calculus, also looks there is potential for collaboration between the cops and Vaughn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, if he's dead, I really didn't see that coming. Maybe kill off the lead in the finale, but not normally in the second episode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom