Trouble Ahead for Non-Power 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trouble Ahead for Non-Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So where do we think this ends up?

Do we have the financial capability to last 10 years for the ACC GOR to expire should Delany choose to go after the ACC teams again before going after us? If he goes after us at all?
I think about this from time to time. I don't think that we do. We're hemorrhaging cash now. When the Big East exit money runs out we are in trouble.

CL82

Reaction Score
Years ago Gavitt had the vision to create an eastern conference. Perkins had a little. The state faces a fiscal crisis and the future head of the appropriations committee is worried about transgender bathrooms. State agencies have way too many managers and hire consultants who don't even talk to the rank and file. Gampel was designed bare bones to save money. Tax the rich. My father, not a 1 pct or financially savvy was smart enough to become a part time resident in retirement. The busway was built without TOD in place. It needs professionals to ride it which requires good jobs in Hartford. They hire an ad with no experience instead of throwing money at an experienced one with connections and writing in a p5 bonus. I can continue on and on

I hope that I am wrong. Perhaps Herbst has a BIG vision. If she does I will apologize to all for my negativity.
This kind of feels like it would be written on a toilet paper roll as part of longer rambling manifesto that was discovered by the FBI as a neighbor looked into the local news camera saying "I didn't know Who Ha well but he seemed like a quiet man..."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't even have to read the article to know our situation has,not changed one,iota since the day Louisville was picked ahead of us for the ACC.

Everything that can be said or written about the current situation was said on these forums,on that day. All we fans could do now is shrug.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't even have to read the article to know our situation has,not changed one,iota since the day Louisville was picked ahead of us for the ACC.

Everything that can be said or written about the current situation was said on these forums,on that day. All we fans could do now is shrug.

I think it has changed a lot. At the time, nobody knew whether UConn hoops could survive without Calhoun. Since then we won a championship with Ollie. The football practice facility was built, basketball next. Hockey joined the top league in the country and performed above expectations. On campus ice arena being planned. Research profile of the university has continued to improve, and steps are being taken to ramp up the endowment. Young, high profile coach was hired for football. Womens hoops rolls along, unstoppable.

I'm not positive that the ACC even chooses Louisville if it were to happen today. At the very least UConn has upgraded in every area except on field football performance, football attendance and conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
What is the status of the Big East exit money? Is any of that included in the figures above? Has it even been paid out yet? Did they ever finalize which teams get what in terms of that money?

CL82

Reaction Score
What is the status of the Big East exit money? Is any of that included in the figures above? Has it even been paid out yet? Did they ever finalize which teams get what in terms of that money?
IIRC, it was to paid out over five years, so we are getting close to the end of it.

Reaction Score
I think it has changed a lot. At the time, nobody knew whether UConn hoops could survive without Calhoun. Since then we won a championship with Ollie. The football practice facility was built, basketball next. Hockey joined the top league in the country and performed above expectations. On campus ice arena being planned. Research profile of the university has continued to improve, and steps are being taken to ramp up the endowment. Young, high profile coach was hired for football. Womens hoops rolls along, unstoppable.

I'm not positive that the ACC even chooses Louisville if it were to happen today. At the very least UConn has upgraded in every area except on field football performance, football attendance and conference affiliation.
Football facility was already in place at the time. I think they still pick Louisville, ACC doesn't have hockey except for BC so hockey east success means nothing.

Financially crisis speaking, nothing has changed.

Reaction Score
Some schools have legal clauses that require a certain amount of expenses to be paid out of the general fund in order to qualify as a school run entity. That's why Michigan always reports a small subsidy because the upkeep of one of the athletic athletic buildings is paid by the school and then they do a repayment later.

Ummm, UMichigan also pays $11m (last I checked) for the financing of the Big House and Crisler Arena (over $250m owed). The AD contributed about $4m for the first few years after the build but upped it last year. Total service for that amount of money is around $17m+, so there's a hidden subsidy that's not even in the numbers of the link.

Reaction Score
UConn is paying $27m a year in subsidy because it wants/needs to join the P5. The cost is prohibitive. If UConn can't get into the P5, it won't pay that $27m a year for a long time.

Reaction Score
Frankly ... what often just leaves you befuddled, is that the accounting on many different Institutions may be vastly different.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't know what's going happen. If it doesn't go our way, I have my torch and pitchfork at the ready.

And yes, I know how to use them.

Reaction Score
Ummm, UMichigan also pays $11m (last I checked) for the financing of the Big House and Crisler Arena (over $250m owed). The AD contributed about $4m for the first few years after the build but upped it last year. Total service for that amount of money is around $17m+, so there's a hidden subsidy that's not even in the numbers of the link.

Club seats and suites I believe both come with a hefty "donation" to the athletic department as part of the price.

Reaction Score
Club seats and suites I believe both come with a hefty "donation" to the athletic department as part of the price.

That's good but those are already revenues for the AD. They list donations as revenues.

Im not criticizing Michigan, by the way. Im just saying that there are subsidies even at Michigan.

Reaction Score
That's good but those are already revenues for the AD. They list donations as revenues.

Im not criticizing Michigan, by the way. Im just saying that there are subsidies even at Michigan.

No worries.

But I have heard from that it is difficult to compare apples and apples when it comes to donations. I don't remember the details, but Duke records its donations to retain prime tickets to Cameron Indoor differently than other universities. It has something to do with who records the contribution, the school or the athletic department.

And in response to another post, I remember Dave Brandon (former AD at Michigan) saying that there is some funny money accounting where the athletic department pays back expenses covered by the general fund for some specific purpose. But again, I don't remember the details.

Reaction Score
No worries.

But I have heard from that it is difficult to compare apples and apples when it comes to donations. I don't remember the details, but Duke records its donations to retain prime tickets to Cameron Indoor differently than other universities. It has something to do with who records the contribution, the school or the athletic department.

And in response to another post, I remember Dave Brandon (former AD at Michigan) saying that there is some funny money accounting where the athletic department pays back expenses covered by the general fund for some specific purpose. But again, I don't remember the details.

Athletic departments pay back cost of scholarships. Maybe he meant that?

Reaction Score
Upstater, those numbers you refer to the are captured in the "expenses" column if you look at the AD annual report.

The subsidies here are generally meant to capture general fund contributions to help pay for AD expenses that isn't covered by revenue but you notice multiple schools that receive a small amount of subsidy even though revenues > expenses. I'm just explaining that distinction.

Reaction Score
Upstater, those numbers you refer to the are captured in the "expenses" column if you look at the AD annual report.

The subsidies here are generally meant to capture general fund contributions to help pay for AD expenses that isn't covered by revenue but you notice multiple schools that receive a small amount of subsidy even though revenues > expenses. I'm just explaining that distinction.

I actually read the annual report and saw that the AD was indeed reimbursing the U. for $11m of stadium/arena loans. I just noted that the service for that much money would be higher than $11m a year.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
UConn obviously needs to start cutting sport teams. A list has to be compiled. Money makers hang around. Money losers go away. Not hard really, just like every business that has ever existed.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
UConn obviously needs to start cutting sport teams. A list has to be compiled. Money makers hang around. Money losers go away. Not hard really, just like every business that has ever existed.

"Every business that has ever existed" didn't have to comply with Title IX

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
"Every business that has ever existed" didn't have to comply with Title IX
I know. I quess you have to go one man's sport, one woman's sport.

Reaction Score
I know. I quess you have to go one man's sport, one woman's sport.

And when the B1g says you don't play enough sports for an invite, then what do you do?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
And when the B1g says you don't play enough sports for an invite, then what do you do?
First lesson in life: keep your house in order. Nobody wants a money draining loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom