Trouble Ahead for Non-Power 5 | The Boneyard

Trouble Ahead for Non-Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Interesting.

-------------------------Revenue-------Expenses-------Subsidy-------Subsidy as %
Connecticut AAC--- $71,519,433 ---$71,396,255--- $27,203,031 ---38.04

Methodology

Really the Revenue number is pretty good considering we don't have any TV money to speak of.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We are 44th in the country in AD revenue, not too shabby. Imagine 20-40m in TV revenue, increased bowl revenue, higher attendance etc. In any P5 conference we're top 20-25 in revenue. If you compare our subsidy as a percent of AD revenue we're 171 out of 230.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're perfectly positioned for ruin.

But we knew that.

Interesting to see that the PAC-12 teams seem to run large subsidies as does UVa....

Reaction Score
Great read and it reinforces my amazement at the kool aid some of us are drinking. I have posted before that this is not sustainable and we are in a state of emergency. Unfortunately, the state leadership and many others in Connecticut are either incompetent or don't care.

LMFAO. Yes, if we just had state leadership that cared or was competent they would pass a law requiring other states to force their universities to admit us to the p-5. Instead of wasting all their energies on dumb stuff like funding UConn's continuing rise as a first rate university.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Great read and it reinforces my amazement at the kool aid some of us are drinking. I have posted before that this is not sustainable and we are in a state of emergency. Unfortunately, the state leadership and many others in Connecticut are either incompetent or don't care.

This is just babble - I don't think anyone is unaware of the problem we have.

As for it being sustainable....I don't know what choice we have in the short run.

Reaction Score
LMFAO. Yes, if we just had state leadership that cared or was competent they would pass a law requiring other states to force their universities to admit us to the p-5. Instead of wasting all their energies on dumb stuff like funding UConn's continuing rise as a first rate university.
Why are they allowing student fees to fund the athletic department? Why is Connecticut at the bottom of job creation? Why is the state losing population? I can go on and on. Oh yeah, it is so we can fund our first rate university.

Reaction Score
Why are they allowing student fees to fund the athletic department? Why is Connecticut at the bottom of job creation? Why is the state losing population? I can go on and on. Oh yeah, it is so we can fund our first rate university.

Our conference problem is related to a failure for the state government to create jobs? Please stop. You're killing me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What is interesting about the financials of the "haves" vs. "have nots" is that there are not a lot of examples in other industries where the difference between #1 and #65 in a particular market is about 3x in revenue, but the difference between #65 and #66 in that same market is roughly 10x in revenue. That would seem to be an indication of collusive behavior, but no one in the G5 seems willing to do anything about it.

The fundamental problem that UConn and the other G5 schools have is that the athletic administrators that should be screaming the loudest are silent because they want jobs in the P5 and will not do anything to jeopardize that career goal. In effect, Warde is working for the P5 while we are paying him.

Reaction Score
So where do we think this ends up?

Do we have the financial capability to last 10 years for the ACC GOR to expire should Delany choose to go after the ACC teams again before going after us? If he goes after us at all?

Reaction Score
Explain.

Years ago Gavitt had the vision to create an eastern conference. Perkins had a little. The state faces a fiscal crisis and the future head of the appropriations committee is worried about transgender bathrooms. State agencies have way too many managers and hire consultants who don't even talk to the rank and file. Gampel was designed bare bones to save money. Tax the rich. My father, not a 1 pct or financially savvy was smart enough to become a part time resident in retirement. The busway was built without TOD in place. It needs professionals to ride it which requires good jobs in Hartford. They hire an ad with no experience instead of throwing money at an experienced one with connections and writing in a p5 bonus. I can continue on and on

I hope that I am wrong. Perhaps Herbst has a BIG vision. If she does I will apologize to all for my negativity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is interesting about the financials of the "haves" vs. "have nots" is that there are not a lot of examples in other industries where the difference between #1 and #65 in a particular market is about 3x in revenue, but the difference between #65 and #66 in that same market is roughly 10x in revenue. That would seem to be an indication of collusive behavior, but no one in the G5 seems willing to do anything about it.

The fundamental problem that UConn and the other G5 schools have is that the athletic administrators that should be screaming the loudest are silent because they want jobs in the P5 and will not do anything to jeopardize that career goal. In effect, Warde is working for the P5 while we are paying him.

Among the Top Ten automakers in units manufactured....#1 is Forbes G2000 ranked #12 and #9 is G2000 ranked #111.

I was mildly surprised at some of the subsidizing....even SEC and B1G programs have reported subsidies....maybe not large in percentage, but still millions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
whatever happened with the ($100MM) BE fees - weren't we supposed to get ~20-25MM paid out over a few years that was, in part, intended to be part of the lifeline? Have we received any of it? Where does it go - athletic dept.? general fund?

Reaction Score
Among the Top Ten automakers in units manufactured....#1 is Forbes G2000 ranked #12 and #9 is G2000 ranked #111.

I was mildly surprised at some of the subsidizing....even SEC and B1G programs have reported subsidies....maybe not large in percentage, but still millions.

Some schools have legal clauses that require a certain amount of expenses to be paid out of the general fund in order to qualify as a school run entity. That's why Michigan always reports a small subsidy because the upkeep of one of the athletic athletic buildings is paid by the school and then they do a repayment later.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The reason I find this interesting, is the way it ties back to those who said some schools would never drop D1 athletics if athletes are ruled "employees". I keep hearing that "they'll never give up the revenue", but as this shows the expenses match or exceed the revenues almost everywhere. Only a few (24) schools actually turn a profit on athletics, and in most cases it is a small number. It is not a profit center for these schools.

Reaction Score
The reason I find this interesting, is the way it ties back to those who said some schools would never drop D1 athletics if athletes are ruled "employees". I keep hearing that "they'll never give up the revenue", but as this shows the expenses match or exceed the revenues almost everywhere. Only a few (24) schools actually turn a profit on athletics, and in most cases it is a small number. It is not a profit center for these schools.

And yet they all keep doing it, which leads me to believe they're all full of it. They manage to look like they're in the red because of creative bookkeeping, but if it wasn't cost-effective, this would have all disappeared years ago.

Reaction Score
Years ago Gavitt had the vision to create an eastern conference. Perkins had a little. The state faces a fiscal crisis and the future head of the appropriations committee is worried about transgender bathrooms. State agencies have way too many managers and hire consultants who don't even talk to the rank and file. Gampel was designed bare bones to save money. Tax the rich. My father, not a 1 pct or financially savvy was smart enough to become a part time resident in retirement. The busway was built without TOD in place. It needs professionals to ride it which requires good jobs in Hartford. They hire an ad with no experience instead of throwing money at an experienced one with connections and writing in a p5 bonus. I can continue on and on

I hope that I am wrong. Perhaps Herbst has a BIG vision. If she does I will apologize to all for my negativity.

I get it. You are mad about how the state generally is run. You are mad about our conference situation. Ergo, the two must be related. Great.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And yet they all keep doing it, which leads me to believe they're all full of it. They manage to look like they're in the red because of creative bookkeeping, but if it wasn't cost-effective, this would have all disappeared years ago.

It's cost effective marketing. Sports causes UConn to be more appealing to more students (who desire that atmosphere) plus it great enhances name recognition. The result is that more kids apply, and UConn can be more selective, grow enrollment or both (which it has done). Sports also drives donations that are not sports specific. Alumni seeing their school on TV reminds them of what it meant to them. These are all valuable. Most of these schools are happy to break even, any profit is frosting. It's rarely significant as a funding source.

Reaction Score
It's cost effective marketing. Sports causes UConn to be more appealing to more students (who desire that atmosphere) plus it great enhances name recognition. The result is that more kids apply, and UConn can be more selective, grow enrollment or both (which it has done). Sports also drives donations that are not sports specific. Alumni seeing their school on TV reminds them of what it meant to them. These are all valuable. Most of these schools are happy to break even, any profit is frosting. It's rarely significant as a funding source.

All of this tells me that big-time sports means more money. Just because it's not directly from ticket sales or tv deals doesn't make it less a result of the sports success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom