TRAVELING TO MADISON SQUARE GARDEN | The Boneyard

TRAVELING TO MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My wife and I could use a little assistance. We joined the group that purchased tickets to the UCONN-Maryland game at MSG on December 28th. As this is our first trip into NYC by train, we thought it would be easy taking Amtrak from Bridgeport to Penn Station. It seems going to Penn Station will be easy, but because the game doesn't start until 8:30 pm, I can't seem to find a train from Penn Station back to Bridgeport. For you season traveler's to this event, do you have any alternate ideas on how we can get home? Many thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
My wife and I could use a little assistance. We joined the group that purchased tickets to the UCONN-Maryland game at MSG on December 28th. As this is our first trip into NYC by train, we thought it would be easy taking Amtrak from Bridgeport to Penn Station. It seems going to Penn Station will be easy, but because the game doesn't start until 8:30 pm, I can't seem to find a train from Penn Station back to Bridgeport. For you season traveler's to this event, do you have any alternate ideas on how we can get home? Many thanks in advance.
After the game find your way to Grand Central Station (20-25 minute walk or < 10 minute cab ride) and take the Metro North to Bridgeport. Here is the Metro North schedule site. They are showing Bridgeport trains leaving Grand Central as late as 1:47 AM on Dec 28 (actually 1:47 AM would be on the 29th).

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm?n=y

You might consider taking the Metro North TO NY also - probably a lot more trains/schedule flexibility than Amtrak

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After the game find your way to Grand Central Station (20-25 minute walk or < 10 minute cab ride) and take the Metro North to Bridgeport. Here is the Metro North schedule site. They are showing Bridgeport trains leaving Grand Central as late as 1:47 AM on Dec 28 (actually 1:47 AM would be on the 29th).

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm?n=y

You might consider taking the Metro North TO NY also - probably a lot more trains/schedule flexibility than Amtrak
Metro North should be less expensive too. If you are a senior, it's half price. The express trains are fairly quick. The locals take about 2 hours.

Reaction Score
Metro North to GCT, then follow the signs for S. S is for shuttle between GCT and Penn station. Penn station is under Madison square garden. Walla you are there for around 25 dollars round trip.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Metro North to GCT, then follow the signs for S. S is for shuttle between GCT and Penn station. Penn station is under Madison square garden. Walla you are there for around 25 dollars round trip.
I think the S shuttle goes to Times Square. Penn Station is 1 stop south of Times Square on the 1/2/3 or A/C/E, I believe.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I live in New York and take the subway all the time. As others have said, at Grand Central take the S subway train (also called the Shuttle) one stop to Times Square. Follow the signs in the Times Square subway station (or ask someone) to the 7th Avenue subway south platform (the 1, 2 or 3 line). Take the 1, 2 or 3 train one stop to 34th Street (Madison Square Garden). The trip from Grand Central to MSG should take 10 to 12 minutes at most. It's well traveled and safe. It's underground all the way. Maybe you want to come a little early and walk from Grand Central to MSG (it's a little less than a mile) and check out Times Square on the way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've walked GCT to Penn Station several times. It's a great walk. Go by Bryant Park and the famous Library. Google puts the distance at 1.2 miles.

Reaction Score
Great, I knew I could count on you guys to aide a couple of old Husky fans out. Now I don't have to give up my tickets. See you at the game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I think the Shuttle just goes from Grand Central to times square. Then you have to switch and tale the train south to MSG.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I've walked GCT to Penn Station several times. It's a great walk. Go by Bryant Park and the famous Library. Google puts the distance at 1.2 miles.
That's a good choice.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A little reminder for train travelers. That great transportation edifice in midtown is Grand Central Terminal. That's where trains terminate their routes. On a smaller size, same goes for New Canaan. Stamford, Norwalk and Bridgeport have stations (trains pass through them, whether stopping or not).

Reaction Score
Taking Metro North into Grand Central Terminal is a good choice. At Grand Central take in the splendor of the main terminal and stop at the info booth to pick up a Subway Map, a train schedule to Bridgeport (Metro North, New Haven Line), and a street map if you're inclined to do some walking.

If the weather is bad, you can get into the subway without exiting Grand Central and make it to Madison Square Garden/Penn Station without going outside.

Reaction Score
A little reminder for train travelers. That great transportation edifice in midtown is Grand Central Terminal. That's where trains terminate their routes. On a smaller size, same goes for New Canaan. Stamford, Norwalk and Bridgeport have stations (trains pass through them, whether stopping or not).
Since trains terminate there, it seems logical trains originate there as well. Any idea why it's not called Grand Central Original?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I have always liked the Milford station; it has more options. OK on weekends, but most parking spaces reserved+taken on week days.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have always liked the Milford station; it has more options. OK on weekends, but most parking spaces reserved+taken on week days.
I like to hear kudos for anything Milford. :)

Reaction Score
Don't worry about your trip. There will be scores of Husky fans from GC to the Garden. Remember our men and wsomen OWN New York.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom