Tough Times for Kara Lawson & Family | The Boneyard

Tough Times for Kara Lawson & Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Per JA in the Courant, Kara Lawson's father is gravely ill and that is why she has been away from the Sun for a few weeks. From his article:

" Coming off her greatest season in the WNBA, Lawson’s desire to build upon it has been sabotaged by back misery and a troublesome bone bruise to a knee. She has played in only nine games for the Sun this season, just six as a starter.
Still, injuries come and go; all a part of the matrix of being a professional athlete. Lawson knows that and understood how to react.

Then two weeks ago something happened which she could not prepare for. Her father, Bill, fell seriously ill in the family hometown, Alexandria, Va.
Lawson, extremely close to her family, petitioned the Sun for personal leave and left the team immediately after its road game in New York on July 20. And she did not return until early this week.
But in the interim, Lawson says she heard various rumors about why she was gone, insinuations about marital trouble or dissatisfaction with Sun management. She says the accusations deeply hurt her......
“Somebody asked me if I was having marital problems. They thought that was the ‘family issue.’ People speculate and I understand it’s people’s jobs to speculate. I just think a ‘family issue’ is personal.
“But after I was questioned about my professionalism and about what I bring to the team, I thought it was important to share something very personal to myself and to my family.”

Before she could finish that sentence Wednesday, Lawson, normally so stoic, broke down in tears because of the situation with her father. Lawson said doctors first termed her father’s condition as grave and told her to prepare herself for the possibility that he might not survive.
But her father made it through those difficult first few nights and she said he is doing better, fighting “but he still has a long way to go.”

Very tough to have your father be so ill. Also tough to have to respond to insinuations and speculations during such a family crisis. I respect her personal strength to do what she thinks is necesssary to put the record straight, but feel sad that she had to put up with the innuendoes.

Will be saying some prayers for Kara, her dad and her family, with hopes for his full recovery.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kara is a tremendous asset to womens' basketball and her genuineness as a human being just comes right through the television and smacks you in the face. Glad she has her priorities straight. Hope her dad continues to recover and we get our Kara back.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Kara and her family. Alexandria is also where I live.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We'll be saying a prayer for Kara and her family.
May her dad come through his illness and be at the Sun's playoff games cheering for his daughter next season.

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson has always been a credit to woman's basketball, on & off the court. She reflects her parents. She is going thru a painful period in regards to her father & basketball injuries. I enjoy her TV appearances as a neutral player announcer. Prayers!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear the news Kara, hope things get better soon.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that... Best wishes to the entire Lawson family. Makes me think back to the 2003 Final where her father watched her play college basketball for the first time. Life is too short....

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
She is a class act and her analysis is always so good and to the point with no words wasted. She doesn't mince words. I love her. Good luck to you , your dad, and your entire family!

Reaction Score
She is a class act and her analysis is always so good and to the point with no words wasted. She doesn't mince words. I love her. Good luck to you , your dad, and your entire family!

That had to be hard on her. I would suspect he would like that time back for a do-over.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless

Reaction Score
This can't be an easy time for Kara and her family. To my knowledge, there have been no public announcements on her dad's status since last Wednesday. So, here's hoping "no news is good news." I'm also hoping Kara has recovered from injury. I like Kara Lawson. A lot. She is one reason I am a fan of women's basketball above and beyond any other sport.

All good blessings to Kara Lawson.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wow, sad that she had to to do that in times such as these, here's hoping for the best for her and her family.

Reaction Score
I can't understand the Sun insisting she return to the team at this point of the season...she's not in game shape, physically or mentally and the team isn't going anywhere...I know it's a business but it seems like a poor decision on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom