Top Woman Athlete- ever. | The Boneyard

Top Woman Athlete- ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
During these dog days, when for Jet, Bruin and Celtic fans hope is still “the thing with feathers that perches on our soul,” in a topic that I also hope is not already a dead BY horse, I nominate the Brit Lottie Dod as the greatest sportswoman/athlete of all time.

I used only two guidelines for this pronouncement: First, that a woman’s athletic prowess should be demonstrated by excellence in multiple athletic disciplines, demonstrating that she would likely be good to great in almost any athletic endeavor; second, that we armchair/desktop evaluators should set aside modern training, equipment, apparel and venue advantages when making comparisons.

I also conveniently ignored the fact that most modern athletes continually practice, train, and play and in all ways strive to maintain and improve their competitive edge in their top sport, limiting the numerous renaissance sportswoman possibilities available to Lottie

Lottie Dod was an Olympic Silver medalist in Archery, a British Women’s Golf champion, and an accomplished mountaineer. She was a five-time Wimbledon women’s tennis singles champion, the first at age fifteen. She was also a championship-caliber ice skater, and she played on the English National Field Hockey team. Competitive in various national and international sports for 25 years, Lottie died in 1960 at age 88.

What other woman beside Lottie Dod could hit a golf ball and a tennis ball with such accuracy, one ball not moving at all and the other coming toward her with great speed, consistently hit a small target using a bow and arrow and, using 1896 gear, climb multiple 13,000 foot-plus European peaks in the middle of winter, almost always attired in ankle-length garb?

I also wanted to credit Lottie as the inspiration for Annie Hall, “Brown-eyed Girl,” and the many other uses of “Lah-dee-dah,” but the jury is still out on that one.

And finally, at MoJeff height, would Lottie have started for that great 1890 Huskies basketball team? Who was the two-guard that year? Someone must remember.

The floor is open for other nominations. Surely someone out there believes that Jackie Joyner-Kersee would wipe the links, court or peak with Ms. Dod, of course using a Slazenger Zenith Mashie, a Wright and Ditson Lawn Tennis Racquet, and a Werkgen Fulpmes wooden ice ax, and other fondly remembered sports gear from my own youth.
images

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wold say Jackie Joyner-Kersee. She was a heptathelete, and IMHO, those (and the decatheletes) are the best "athletes" of all time. She won the gold in the 1988 and 1992 Olympics, and the silver in the 1994 Olympics. She also won a bunch of stuff at Goodwill Games, Pan Am games, and world championships...

Reaction Score
During these dog days, when for Jet, Bruin and Celtic fans hope is still “the thing with feathers that perches on our soul,” in a topic that I also hope is not already a dead BY horse, I nominate the Brit Lottie Dod as the greatest sportswoman/athlete of all time.

I used only two guidelines for this pronouncement: First, that a woman’s athletic prowess should be demonstrated by excellence in multiple athletic disciplines, demonstrating that she would likely be good to great in almost any athletic endeavor; second, that we armchair/desktop evaluators should set aside modern training, equipment, apparel and venue advantages when making comparisons.

I also conveniently ignored the fact that most modern athletes continually practice, train, and play and in all ways strive to maintain and improve their competitive edge in their top sport, limiting the numerous renaissance sportswoman possibilities available to Lottie

Lottie Dod was an Olympic Silver medalist in Archery, a British Women’s Golf champion, and an accomplished mountaineer. She was a five-time Wimbledon women’s tennis singles champion, the first at age fifteen. She was also a championship-caliber ice skater, and she played on the English National Field Hockey team. Competitive in various national and international sports for 25 years, Lottie died in 1960 at age 88.

What other woman beside Lottie Dod could hit a golf ball and a tennis ball with such accuracy, one ball not moving at all and the other coming toward her with great speed, consistently hit a small target using a bow and arrow and, using 1896 gear, climb multiple 13,000 foot-plus European peaks in the middle of winter, almost always attired in ankle-length garb?

I also wanted to credit Lottie as the inspiration for Annie Hall, “Brown-eyed Girl,” and the many other uses of “Lah-dee-dah,” but the jury is still out on that one.

And finally, at MoJeff height, would Lottie have started for that great 1890 Huskies basketball team? Who was the two-guard that year? Someone must remember.

The floor is open for other nominations. Surely someone out there believes that Jackie Joyner-Kersee would wipe the links, court or peak with Ms. Dod, of course using a Slazenger Zenith Mashie, a Wright and Ditson Lawn Tennis Racquet, and a Werkgen Fulpmes wooden ice ax, and other fondly remembered sports gear from my own youth.
images
I would offer "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias as the greatest female athlete of all time. Her accomplishments in baseball, basketball, golf and olympic track and field would make her at least equal if not superior to Ms. Dod.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Babe Didrikson Zaharias is my nominee:
AAU basketball champion (and AA), Olympic gold medalist in track and field, championship golfer (and first woman to play in a men's professional tournament) winning 82 tournaments, and played pocket billiards as well.
She played organized baseball and softball and was an expert diver, roller-skater, and bowler.

Love this re track and field:
Representing her company in the 1932 AAU Championships, she competed in eight out of ten events, winning five outright, and tying for first in a sixth. In the process, she set four world records in the javelin throw, 80-meter hurdles, high jump, and baseball throw in a single afternoon of competition. Didrikson's performances were enough to win the team championship, despite her being the sole member of her team.

Non-athletically - she was a recording artist and won a state fair in sewing!

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I would offer "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias as the greatest female athlete of all time. Her accomplishments in baseball, basketball, golf and olympic track and field would make her at least equal if not superior to Ms. Dod.

I nominate Babe, also. She was great at everything she did. It's too bad she passed away at such a young age.

Reaction Score
Great choice , and also a showman who was instrumental in getting the LPGA off the ground. Also the only women to compete in a men's golf tournament, and make the cut, did it twice.

Reaction Score
In sports involving a ball, no one better than Waterbury's own Joan Joyce. Shot a 66 in an LPGA tournament, scored 67 points a national basketball tournament game, and no need to mention her exploits in softball. She holds the record for the fewest putts(17) in a round by man or woman in a professional golf tournament. Also a pretty fair volleyball player.

Reaction Score
For a very long time in the USA, maybe the world, Babe Didrikson Zaharias was the Athlete spoken of when they spoke of Women Athlete. A woman ahead of her time and truly amazing in her abilities. Good offering, many agree!!!

Reaction Score
In sports involving a ball, no one better than Waterbury's own Joan Joyce. Shot a 66 in an LPGA tournament, scored 67 points a national basketball tournament game, and no need to mention her exploits in softball. She holds the record for the fewest putts(17) in a round by man or woman in a professional golf tournament. Also a pretty fair volleyball player.
Another Brass City kid does it big time.. The Brakette's softball team was up there in Lady Athletics' Bridgeport had them I think. The Rayettes??

Reaction Score
I wold say Jackie Joyner-Kersee. She was a heptathelete, and IMHO, those (and the decatheletes) are the best "athletes" of all time. She won the gold in the 1988 and 1992 Olympics, and the silver in the 1994 Olympics. She also won a bunch of stuff at Goodwill Games, Pan Am games, and world championships...

JJK also started all 4 of her years as a member of the UCLA WBB team.

What's scary about JJK is that, sure, she still owns the top 6 scores of all-time in the heptathlon (an event you usually only participate in once or twice a year). And her World Record from 1988 of 7,291 is way ahead of the 2nd best heptathlete ever (at 7,032). But if you added up her personal bests in each event, she was capable of a score of 7,597.

She also won Olympic gold in the long jump in 1988 and her American Record in that event (which she hit twice) is 3 centimeters shy of the World Record.

Reaction Score
Also, this will be controversial, but had certain things been...avoided, Marion Jones could have easily been in this conversation. Her 1998 season is definitely one of the best "bodies of work" by a track & field athlete ever.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While the first two women nominated - the OP Lottie and Babe are truly extra-ordinary, it also speaks to 'women's' roles in society and that it took a certain rebelliousness or lack of conforming for them to want to excel in athletic pursuits. They stand out so clearly because they could not just be competent but world champions in multiple disciplines partly because there were so few other women seriously pursuing the same goals. Modern heptathletes and decathletes may typically be world class at a single discipline (typically sprinting/short distance running because that skill is required for more of the events) but do not come close to world record level in any other because the sports have become so specialized.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While the first two women nominated - the OP Lottie and Babe are truly extra-ordinary, it also speaks to 'women's' roles in society and that it took a certain rebelliousness or lack of conforming for them to want to excel in athletic pursuits. They stand out so clearly because they could not just be competent but world champions in multiple disciplines partly because there were so few other women seriously pursuing the same goals. Modern heptathletes and decathletes may typically be world class at a single discipline (typically sprinting/short distance running because that skill is required for more of the events) but do not come close to world record level in any other because the sports have become so specialized.
Also of note - both Lottie and Babe were 'Moriah Jefferson' height - 5'7"

Reaction Score
While it's difficult to argue with the Babe supporters, Serena ought to be in the conversation. Given the age of specialization we are in we really don't get a chance to see her talents in other athletic areas. Having watched her in person many times, her physical gifts are nearly matched to her mental toughness.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

She gets my vote, too. Plus, she was a Texas girl.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Tidbit about "Babe" that's hard to compete with.

"Zaharias was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1953, and after undergoing surgery, she made a comeback in 1954. She took the Vare Trophy for lowest scoring average, her only win of that trophy, and her 10th and final major with a U.S. Women's Open championship, one month after the surgery and while wearing a colostomy bag." She was one tough cookie.

Reaction Score
I remember going to watch the Raybestos Brakettes play in the World Tournaments in Stratford. Joan Joyce was unhittable...Combined with her Golf exploits, she is far and away the best female athlete that I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom