Top four teams that could join the Big 12 in realignment | The Boneyard

Top four teams that could join the Big 12 in realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is from FOX Sports:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...xas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-podcast-062615

Unfortunately, we are not in the top 4. The 4 teams they are talking about are BYU, Cincy, Memphis, and UCF.

We all can agree B12 is on borrowed time right now. The way they run the conference is like the Big East leading by Texas. As long as Texas is willing to have B12 around, it can survive. However, Texas will bail as soon as they find a better situation.

B12 should have taken WVU, UL, and Cincy when they did the last expansion. Instead, they took WVU and let ACC took UL. Had they took UL back in the days, we all know where we would be right now. B12 is not that desirable for UCONN, but anything is better than the AAC at this point.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If Memphis goes over us I'm finished. UCF is a stretch as well bit at least there's a few years of decent football and recruiting grounds. Memphis, I got nothing....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Memphis goes over us I'm finished. UCF is a stretch as well bit at least there's a few years of decent football and recruiting grounds. Memphis, I got nothing....

You and me both. Memphis getting an invite before us would mean me swearing off this CR crap forever. And boy oh boy, UConn would need to some SERIOUS damage control if this scenario ever played out. UConn fans flipped out over Louisville leapfrogging over us. I can't imagine the uproar if friggin' Memphis does the same. Mem ' Phis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are pretty much guaranteed a spot somewhere anyway. If Cincinnati and Memphis are even being considered, that speaks volumes about our future.

Reaction Score
Im already preparing myself for WM's excuses. For sure it will be geography. Did not stop B12 to take WVU or ACC to take UL

Reaction Score
Im already preparing myself for WM's excuses. For sure it will be geography. Did not stop B12 to take WVU or ACC to take UL

I'm no Warde Manuel fan, but this is absurd. First of all, neither of those schools was as far out of the footprint as we are out of the Big 12's. Secondly, both of those schools were chosen when they were seen as between solid and very good in football, while we're generally looked at as putrid. I'd love to see us get into the Big 12 at this point, and I'm still hoping, but this was always a tremendous longshot.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know when UConn's B1g confidentiality agreement ends? All this talk of Big 12 expansion, UConn exclusion, and the rest of the landscape remaining static is making my head hurt.(all while UConn remains completely silent) We need to hear something from our peeps just to feel better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when UConn's B1g confidentiality agreement ends? All this talk of Big 12 expansion, UConn exclusion, and the rest of the landscape remaining static is making my head hurt.(all while UConn remains completely silent) We need to hear something from our peeps just to feel better.

Well at least we've invented a reason they say nothing.

Reaction Score
Well at least we've invented a reason they say nothing.
Well, its either that or Delaney placed Warde here to sabotage UConn and then ultimately reward him with a promotion. Seriously, this noise out of OU should not be taken at face value. There is no way even they think its a good idea to add the schools being mentioned.

Reaction Score
This just in...Warde Manuel announced he is monitoring the situation. He also announced that effective immediately he will be monitoring the situation and as the situation changes he will continue his monitoring.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the rumblings to get into the ACC. All sort of names where thrown around. One notable exception was Rutgers. We all know where they wound up going.
It is B1G or bust.

Reaction Score
I doubt we go I the Big. Our ultimate landing spot is the ACC. When you cut through all the nonsense it is the best fit, has traditional rivals, works geographically and our program which is basketball-centric fits right in. Even academically we fit pretty well, much better than we do in the Big 10.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This just in...Warde Manuel announced he is monitoring the situation. He also announced that effective immediately he will be monitoring the situation and as the situation changes he will continue his monitoring.
Come on, you can do better. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt we go I the Big. Our ultimate landing spot is the ACC. When you cut through all the nonsense it is the best fit, has traditional rivals, works geographically and our program which is basketball-centric fits right in. Even academically we fit pretty well, much better than we do in the Big 10.
How so Scooter? We're right in the middle of B1G USNWR rankings. While I know that its not the be all and end all it is convenient and easily recognized way to make comparison.

I agree that the ACC has a lot of familiar programs, but it's mix of publics, privates and ND's partial membership seems all too familiar. And we all know how it turned out the last time.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
How so Scooter? We're right in the middle of B1G USNWR rankings. While I know that its not the be all and end all it is convenient and easily recognized way to make comparison.

Right now, without AAU, I think we needs a compelling reason why the B1G should take us. A couple of good FB seasons coupled with our hoops and Oly successes will be enough. I just get the feeling that the Presidents are still holding AAU as a strong need for a new member. But it is a need that can be trumped by other factors.

I agree that the ACC has a lot of familiar programs, but it's mix of publics, privates and ND's partial membership seems all too familiar. And we all know how it turned out the last time.

Good point. It is kind of scary. However the ACC has it all over the big12 and only one weak sister will fall...hence...

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. As to how or when it happens??????? As CtMike says "any port in a storm" and I of course agree with that. UCONN in Big 12 is like a square peg in a round hole. B1G would be great but let's face it, they don't need another bottom feeder football program. And like it or not, that's what we are right now. PLEASE don't shoot the messenger! ACC makes the most sense.

Reaction Score
Right now, without AAU, I think we needs a compelling reason why the B1G should take us. A couple of good FB seasons coupled with our hoops and Oly successes will be enough. I just get the feeling that the Presidents are still holding AAU as a strong need for a new member. But it is a need that can be trumped by other factors.

Good point. It is kind of scary. However the ACC has it all over the big12 and only one weak sister will fall...hence...

I don't want to throw cold water on the USNWR rankings, but the "very serious academics" do not care about that ranking at all. It's basically the Harris Interactive Polling of college rankings, below the Princeton Review.

That said, most of America acknowledges that it has value.

Unfortunately for the crowd we are trying to impress it won't move the needle.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. As to how or when it happens??????? As CtMike says "any port in a storm" and I of course agree with that. UCONN in Big 12 is like a square peg in a round hole. B1G would be great but let's face it, they don't need another bottom feeder football program. And like it or not, that's what we are right now. PLEASE don't shoot the messenger! ACC makes the most sense.
B1G : we would throw parades, build statues... We would be with our aspirational peers.
ACC : Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. I would take a special pleasure in gutting all those f-ers.
B12 : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction Score
I don't want to throw cold water on the USNWR rankings, but the "very serious academics" do not care about that ranking at all. It's basically the Harris Interactive Polling of college rankings, below the Princeton Review.

hopefully these academics are not choosing conference partners. Many of these people are completely delusional as to the importance and quality of the research they publish. I would think University presidents would know that research dollars is only a very small part of what makes an optimal conference partner. However, it is possible that some BIG presidents will have trouble making a rational decision.

Reaction Score
The ACC, the SEC, the Big 10 and the PAC 12 should get off their butts here and expand to 16 teams. Steal schools from the B12 along with those from the AAC and Mountain West. Money would be divided by four super conferences instead of five. Then the winners of each super conference would meet as the four teams to play in the BCS Tournament at the end of the season. Its actually pretty simple in theory. It would be great if it could get done. I'm sure that the SEC would love both Oklahoma schools. The Big 10 can nab both Kansas schools. The Texas schools can add flavor to the PAC 12. And the ACC can swipe AAC teams. As a Connecticut fan I would like to see our state school in the Big 10. That is where we belong. Tell the ACC to take a walk.

Reaction Score

Yes and no. Everyone knows the US News rankings are skewed. That said, the US News rankings are the best known and most read. That draws eyeballs, applications and tuition paying students, which translates into money. Money is something that all colleges care about.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Memphis is a terrible example of a horrible school that happens to be gifted by location in the football-rich south, and that did well for one season... Its not even the UConn of 2010, its not that good of a story. For these conferences to be seriously considering it based on one year is rediculous.

The rest...

UCF- Yes, its hard to argue with what they've build down there, and the Orlando market. I think their success recently and new stadium help to differentiate from the FSU/Florida dominated fan base in the state.

BYU- Yes, the mormon base gives you a national appeal (a la Notre Dame)

East Carolina- Yes, I think at this rate if it continues, ECU could very well become the next Louisville. From C-USA (Big East) to Big XII... Kind of crazy when you think about it. Not much of a TV market in Greenville, NC, but they sell out games in a huge stadium in the south, where they win. Need I say more?

Houston- Eh, in football hotbed Texas, the inn is full... Sorry Houston.

USF- Eh, Tampa is a tough market because of its proximity to Orlando. While the Bulls have had football sucess in the recent past, its been a few years, and Willie Taggert just seems to be spinning his wheels down there... (and SI was right, its a heavy FSU/Florida market).

Cincy- Eh, the town is a pro sports town, and its too close market-wise to the kings of Ohio in Ohio State... Not sure how this bcomes a sexy addition for B1G, Big XII or ACC?

Bosie State- Eh, the football track record over the past decade is hard to find anywhere else in the nation, but Idaho is a small TV market that conferences could care less about. Imagine if they were in the AAC right now, as they should have been...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom