Top 10 SG Carter (TN 2016) picks Vandy | The Boneyard

Top 10 SG Carter (TN 2016) picks Vandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chassity "Lea Lea" Carter (PN #6) -- from Tennessee -- expected to announce her commitment to Vandy over Tenn and Louisville.

Great pick-up for Vandy.

Swish Appeal ‏@SwishAppeal 17m17 minutes ago
Recruiting: Top-10 2016 recruit, Chassity "LeaLea" Carter, commits to Vanderbilt per sources #ncaaw http://sbnation.com/e/6852760

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Good pickup for Vandy. However, they can't seem to get enough elite recruits to compete against Lady Vols and now South Carolina and Kentucky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder why Vandy can't move the pointer - it is a very good school at the top of the SEC academically.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wonder why Vandy can't move the pointer - it is a very good school at the top of the SEC academically.

Indeed it is- and often at the bottom athletically across the board in terms in terms of college sports. You'd think with the full ride at a highly-regarded school and Vandy's inclusion in the SEC would be draws, as would the allure of Nashville (especially relative to most SEC college towns other than Athens). However, I suppose it's not Duke or Stanford in terms of academic brand equity.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Indeed it is- and often at the bottom athletically across the board in terms in terms of college sports. You'd think with the full ride at a highly-regarded school and Vandy's inclusion in the SEC would be draws, as would the allure of Nashville (especially relative to most SEC college towns other than Athens). However, I suppose it's not Duke or Stanford in terms of academic brand equity.

When I visited there as a prospective student, I got the sense that most of the students resented the attention given to athletics. Compare to Duke and the "Cameron Crazies". So I think part of it is that the university's culture is not athletics-oriented.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is huge because Tennessee fans consoled themselves when Dangerfield chose UCONN by saying in effect "that's ok - I'll take Carter instead. We don't need a PG since we have Cooper, but Carter is fantastic and she and Cooper will be hell on wheels for opponents".

So glad she chose the other Tennessee school. That's 2 kids from in state who passed over Tennessee. Can't wait to hear the excuses on this one... "Oh but Cooper is a 1 AND a 2, so Carter would basically be behind her for 3 years so that's why she went elsewhere"... or "Well, Tennessee is so stacked at the guard/wing position anyway that there was no room at the inn"... ;)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I agree it's a good get for Vandy. Yes they have high academics. I see this year for example Tennessee has four players who can run the point. Next year Cooper is in with Carter, Middleton, and Reynolds. So I am more concerned about getting another post player than a point guard.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Tennessee was in her final three, but she wanted to stay close to home, and Dickson is about 30 mins from Nashville compared to three hours from Knoxville. Can't fault her for wanting to be near her family. Vandy doesn't have anyone of Carter's calibur on their roster. I've seen her play, and she reminds me of Deanna Nolan. She will be able to step right in and contribute, and will likely start from day one.

Tennessee is fine at the guard position. We need posts.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good points Eric! Vandy signed a good 2014 class. Paris Kea was a USA Basketball participant and our Duke friends that live in the North Carolina area say she is a great player. They also had Christa Reed and the Canadian twins who are about 6-3. Not to mention they get 2013 Rebekah Dalman back this season.

Balcomb can coach offense so I think Vandy "could" put up a fight for the 3rd best team in the SEC this season. They havent scored any recruits for 2015 yet but looks like they got a good jump on 2016. Congrats to them for that.

I guess I will see how good Vandy looks this season as they are in the Thanksgiving tourney next month with UCONN.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tennessee needs to land some strong recruits in the next few years or I see a major drop off after DeShields/Russell graduate. Here is their projected lineups for the next few seasons:
2015-16:
C: Mercedes Russell, So
F: Bashaara Graves, Sr
G/F: Diamond DeShields, So
G/F: Jaime Nared, So
G: Andraya Carter, Jr
Bench:
G/F: Jannah Tucker, So
PG :Tea Cooper, Fr
G/F: Jamesha Jackson, Fr
G: Jordan Reynolds, Jr
C: Nia Moore, Sr
G: Alexa Middleton, So
F: Jasmine Jones, Sr
G/F: Kourtney Dunbar, So

2016-17:
C: Mercedes Russell, Jr
G/F: Diamond DeShields, Jr
G/F: Jaime Nared, Jr
G: Andraya Carter, Sr
PG :Tea Cooper, So
Bench:
G/F: Jamesha Jackson, So
G/F: Jannah Tucker, Jr
G: Jordan Reynolds, Sr
G: Alexa Middleton, Jr
G/F: Kourtney Dunbar, Jr

2017-18:
C: Mercedes Russell, Sr
G/F: Diamond DeShields, Sr
G/F: Jaime Nared, Sr
G/F: Jannah Tucker, Sr
PG :Tea Cooper, Jr
Bench:
G/F: Jamesha Jackson, Jr
G: Alexa Middleton, Sr
G/F: Kourtney Dunbar, Sr

Here's the scary thing for Tennessee--if everyone completes their eligibility at Tennessee (which I do see happening for everyone besides maybe DeShields), Tennessee will be losing 6 seniors after the 2017-18 seasons. Including 4 players who were Hoopgurlz Top 10 Recruits in 2013 or 2014. In the past, after Tennessee has lost monstrous classes (6-pack and their 2008 class), they went on to have rough seasons the following year (although one could argue that Tennessee did greatly overachieve in 2012-13 based on preseason expectations.) 2018-19 is setting up to be the same way, and landing these 2 would have been huge for absorbing the loss of those 6 players. That said, there is still a ton of talent out there for 2016 (Cox/Holmes/McCoy/Johnson for posts), 2017 and 2018....but those were two players that traditionally had been "gimme recruits" for Tennessee that they'll miss out on.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There are some in AAU Circles that are expecting the Lady Vols to have a difficult time landing elite recruits in 2016/17. They're expecting it as players may not want to play in the circus that Te'a and Diamond will create. It will be interesting to see how Holly handles them and if it has any impact on their recruiting. They are the Lady Vols, so they'll get good recruits. The question is will they get the Elite Recruits that are difference makers.

Tennessee needs to land some strong recruits in the next few years or I see a major drop off after DeShields/Russell graduate. Here is their projected lineups for the next few seasons:
2015-16:
C: Mercedes Russell, So
F: Bashaara Graves, Sr
G/F: Diamond DeShields, So
G/F: Jaime Nared, So
G: Andraya Carter, Jr
Bench:
G/F: Jannah Tucker, So
PG :Tea Cooper, Fr
G/F: Jamesha Jackson, Fr
G: Jordan Reynolds, Jr
C: Nia Moore, Sr
G: Alexa Middleton, So
F: Jasmine Jones, Sr
G/F: Kourtney Dunbar, So

2016-17:
C: Mercedes Russell, Jr
G/F: Diamond DeShields, Jr
G/F: Jaime Nared, Jr
G: Andraya Carter, Sr
PG :Tea Cooper, So
Bench:
G/F: Jamesha Jackson, So
G/F: Jannah Tucker, Jr
G: Jordan Reynolds, Sr
G: Alexa Middleton, Jr
G/F: Kourtney Dunbar, Jr

2017-18:
C: Mercedes Russell, Sr
G/F: Diamond DeShields, Sr
G/F: Jaime Nared, Sr
G/F: Jannah Tucker, Sr
PG :Tea Cooper, Jr
Bench:
G/F: Jamesha Jackson, Jr
G: Alexa Middleton, Sr
G/F: Kourtney Dunbar, Sr

Here's the scary thing for Tennessee--if everyone completes their eligibility at Tennessee (which I do see happening for everyone besides maybe DeShields), Tennessee will be losing 6 seniors after the 2017-18 seasons. Including 4 players who were Hoopgurlz Top 10 Recruits in 2013 or 2014. In the past, after Tennessee has lost monstrous classes (6-pack and their 2008 class), they went on to have rough seasons the following year (although one could argue that Tennessee did greatly overachieve in 2012-13 based on preseason expectations.) 2018-19 is setting up to be the same way, and landing these 2 would have been huge for absorbing the loss of those 6 players. That said, there is still a ton of talent out there for 2016 (Cox/Holmes/McCoy/Johnson for posts), 2017 and 2018....but those were two players that traditionally had been "gimme recruits" for Tennessee that they'll miss out on.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
This is huge because Tennessee fans consoled themselves when Dangerfield chose UCONN by saying in effect "that's ok - I'll take Carter instead. We don't need a PG since we have Cooper, but Carter is fantastic and she and Cooper will be hell on wheels for opponents".

So glad she chose the other Tennessee school. That's 2 kids from in state who passed over Tennessee. Can't wait to hear the excuses on this one... "Oh but Cooper is a 1 AND a 2, so Carter would basically be behind her for 3 years so that's why she went elsewhere"... or "Well, Tennessee is so stacked at the guard/wing position anyway that there was no room at the inn"... ;)

Just because it's a reality, does not make it an excuse. All programs miss out on recruits and there is always a reason. As already posted, Vandy will not only be close to her home, she will also get an Ivy league education. In addition, fans in the state of TN will still root for the hometown lady because she will still be competing on a team within her state.

Call it an excuse or any other name you'd like to use, but the reality is that TN is just fine in the point guard department with Cooper. On the wings, TN is set with a lot of guards/forwards for the foreseeable future. This is the reality (or excuse). LOL

Reaction Score
I agree that Tennessee doesn't need more back court players at this time, but follow this scenario. The Lady Vols don't get Brown or Mompremier from the 2015 class. How well Russell's rehab goes is still an unknown. With this being Harrison's senior year, Tennessee will be very weak at the 4 and 5 positions next year. Even if Russell recovers, you can't expect her to play more than say 25 minutes a game. Who is going to play in the front court for them next year ?

Another potential problem. As Wbbfan 1 stated " There are some in AAU Circles that are expecting the Lady Vols to have a difficult time landing elite recruits in 2016/17. They're expecting it as players may not want to play in the circus that Te'a and Diamond will create". Not saying this will happen but it is a possibility. So, They're missing out on great, local backcourt players in the 2016 class and haven't yet been able to get bigs from the 2015 or 2016 class, though they still have some time to recover.

I know, it's a worse case scenario but it's a very real possibility.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I agree that Tennessee doesn't need more back court players at this time, but follow this scenario. The Lady Vols don't get Brown or Mompremier from the 2015 class. How well Russell's rehab goes is still an unknown. With this being Harrison's senior year, Tennessee will be very weak at the 4 and 5 positions next year. Even if Russell recovers, you can't expect her to play more than say 25 minutes a game. Who is going to play in the front court for them next year ?

Another potential problem. As Wbbfan 1 stated " There are some in AAU Circles that are expecting the Lady Vols to have a difficult time landing elite recruits in 2016/17. They're expecting it as players may not want to play in the circus that Te'a and Diamond will create". Not saying this will happen but it is a possibility. So, They're missing out on great, local backcourt players in the 2016 class and haven't yet been able to get bigs from the 2015 or 2016 class, though they still have some time to recover.

I know, it's a worse case scenario but it's a very real possibility.

Russell will be physically ready in Jan, but they opted to allow her to retain an entire season by sitting this one out. Recovery will not be an issue. Expect her to play 30 mins. per game. There will be other(s) to join her, so the post situation will be just fine. There's also Bashaara, Jasmine, and Nared. Bashaara played the center position as a freshman on a team that made it to the E8. She'll have a ton more experience as a senior.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Graves has another year left. One thing you will see with this years team. Is players that can play multiple positions.

Reaction Score
Russell will be physically ready in Jan, but they opted to allow her to retain an entire season by sitting this one out. Recovery will not be an issue. Expect her to play 30 mins. per game. There will be other(s) to join her, so the post situation will be just fine. There's also Bashaara, Jasmine, and Nared. Bashaara played the center position as a freshman on a team that made it to the E8. She'll have a ton more experience as a senior.

Wow. I'm glad I got a response from both her doctor and physical therapist. "Recovery will not be an issue", really ? No doubt whatsoever ?
This from a player who no one even knew was injured until after the season was over, not even her coach. Ask Bill Walton about foot injuries and playing basketball. And he didn't suffer his injuries until he played professionally.
30 minutes a game ?? Only Massengale averaged 30 mins a game for the Lady Vols last year. Harrison averaged only 23 minutes a game.
Yet a player who had both feat operated on will play 30 mins a game. Come on, there's wishful thinking and then there's dreaming.
If Graves is going to play any appreciable minutes at the center position, you can kiss the SEC regular season crown, the SEC tournament championship and the NCAA elite eight good bye.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At today's press conference, Holly said I'm wrong !!!! "We're really tall..." We're a big team..." So I guess all this worry about front court players is needless. That's a load off my mind.

Reaction Score
TN is stacked. I am not really concerned at all about guards until 2017. Diamond and Mercedes will have three years to play together. That is HUGE. Other elite players will wants to play with them. Holly has done a fabulous job recruiting and we have more talent now than any year since 2008.

Reaction Score
At today's press conference, Holly said I'm wrong !!!! "We're really tall..." We're a big team..." So I guess all this worry about front court players is needless. That's a load off my mind.
TN is a very tall team. That's what she meant. We have some very tall guards and wings. This might be the overall tallest team to play at TN. We are missing a back up center but that's a different issue when you are talking about the overall height of the team.

Reaction Score
Wow. I'm glad I got a response from both her doctor and physical therapist. "Recovery will not be an issue", really ? No doubt whatsoever ?
This from a player who no one even knew was injured until after the season was over, not even her coach. Ask Bill Walton about foot injuries and playing basketball. And he didn't suffer his injuries until he played professionally.
30 minutes a game ?? Only Massengale averaged 30 mins a game for the Lady Vols last year. Harrison averaged only 23 minutes a game.
Yet a player who had both feat operated on will play 30 mins a game. Come on, there's wishful thinking and then there's dreaming.
If Graves is going to play any appreciable minutes at the center position, you can kiss the SEC regular season crown, the SEC tournament championship and the NCAA elite eight good bye.
I disagree. Many teams, including UCONN, have played with a forward and several guards. There doesn't have to be a center to win. A couple of tough forwards can get the job done. UCONN also lacks depth at the center spot.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Many teams, including UCONN, have played with a forward and several guards. There doesn't have to be a center to win. A couple of tough forwards can get the job done. UCONN also lacks depth at the center spot.

What a joke. Which is it "A forward and several guards" or "A couple of tough forwards" ? Every post from a Tennessee fan about it not being a big deal that neither Dangerfield nor Carter are going to be playing at Tennessee explains that they have plenty of guards but "we need post players".
Tell me, when was the last time UConn played with a forward and several guards ?
And if it's true that you can play successfully with a forward and several guards, then I guess it won't be a problem if neither Brown nor Mompremier commit to play for the Lady Vols. Though going by the posts here and on VolNation, that thinking would comprise the bottom 1% of opinions.

All of the following quotes were taken from just 2 threads on VolNation and were posted by Tennessee fans within the last few days:

"With post being our thinnest position, hopefully we can get both Brown and Mompremiere (sic) to sign soon"
" I don't know what targets Tennessee has for 2016, but they will be short on size after next season."
"It would be devastating if we didn't get either Brown or Mompremier."
"Brown and Mompremier are key recruits if we lose both them looking bad for us."
" we are set on the guard positions, we need posts!"
Any questions ?

Reaction Score

Well, the part about about UConn lacking depth at center is accurate (random probability). The difference is UConn is 2 time defending National Champion. They PROVED they can win without depth at center while Tennessee has proved it can't make the final four in a dog's age.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Athens has a nice 2 blocks, but that's about it.

Reaction Score

Holly is referring to the fact that her team has ten players 6'0" or taller and eight players 6'2" or taller. By any standard that is tall for a women's team. Plus she still has two 2015s--6' 4" Mompremier and 6' 5" Brown--whose school choices have yet to be announced

Reaction Score
TN is stacked. I am not really concerned at all about guards until 2017. Diamond and Mercedes will have three years to play together. That is HUGE. Other elite players will wants to play with them. Holly has done a fabulous job recruiting and we have more talent now than any year since 2008.

Stacked ? How will this "Stackness" manifest itself in wins and losses this year ? Does it mean Tennessee will win the SEC regular season title ? Or maybe it means that they make the final four ? How's this for a quote "Interesting that LVol beat writer Dan Fleser picked SCarolina and Texas A&M to finish ahead of the LVols."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom