Today's Presser | The Boneyard

Today's Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any chance we get an honest answer about BS's status for Saturday? Or do we just get mealy-mouthed cliches where we won't know what is up until the first series on Saturday night?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any chance we get an honest answer about BS's status for Saturday? Or do we just get mealy-mouthed cliches where we won't know what is up until the first series on Saturday night?
Nope. Coach Diaco will make Temple prepare for both. If Temple is smart, they prepare as if Shirreffs IS playing. If he doesn't, it takes the scrambling out of the gameplan.

Reaction Score
My money's on the latter.

Reaction Score
IMO, regardless, he should sit that one out. He got his bell rung.. as in he was concussed... let him chill out for a minute, get his brain back in order, then get ready for the bowl game...

BTW, anybody else see the Rams' QB Keenum get knocked silly on Sunday? Coach Fisher should be fined for not getting him out of there.. My opinion...

Reaction Score
There is a pretty well established protocol for concussions now. Not like the old days. You either pass or you fail. Very little grey area. My guess is Sherrefs is out this week but I also expect Diaco won't say that.

Husky25

Reaction Score
IMO, regardless, he should sit that one out. He got his bell rung.. as in he was concussed... let him chill out for a minute, get his brain back in order, then get ready for the bowl game...

BTW, anybody else see the Rams' QB Keenum get knocked silly on Sunday? Coach Fisher should be fined for not getting him out of there.. My opinion...
Jeff Fisher and Bob Stoops should have been arrested, Stoops more so. He put an amateur kid's life in danger. At least, Keenum gets paid (at least transparently) for his services. Both QBs thought they were Batman.

As far as Shirreffs goes, if he's cleared he should be able to play. He was on the sideline in warm-ups with Myers during the second half and he seemed like he was have a pretty lucid conversation with him and wasn't bothered by the noise or lights. He didn't "look" bad, but that's how football got itself into this predicament in the first place. If he passes the concussion protocol, he should be able to play. If not, see you in December, Bryant.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jeff Fisher and Bob Stoops should have been arrested, Stoops more so. He put an amateur kid's life in danger. At least, Keenum gets paid (at least transparently) for his services. Both QBs thought they were Batman.

As far as Shirreffs goes, if he's cleared he should be able to play. He was on the sideline in warm-ups with Myers during the second half and he seemed like he was have a pretty lucid conversation with him and wasn't bothered by the noise or lights. He didn't "look" bad, but that's how football got itself into this predicament in the first place. If he passes the concussion protocol, he should be able to play. If not, see you in December, Bryant.

The Steve Czaban show yesterday merciless toasted the NFL regarding Keenum. As they said, the NFL has a person hired to attend each game to watch from above whose sole job is to look for plays like Keenum's and make sure he is taken out before the next play. If a QB falling to his hands and knees in the middle of the field doesn't get your attention, what will? Plans, processes and technology always lose to human indifference when humans are a single point of failure in the system.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Steve Czaban show yesterday merciless toasted the NFL regarding Keenum. As they said, the NFL has a person hired to attend each game to watch from above whose sole job is to look for plays like Keenum's and make sure he is taken out before the next play. If a QB falling to his hands and knees in the middle of the field doesn't get your attention, what will? Plans, processes and technology always lose to human indifference when humans are a single point of failure in the system.
Did you see the lineman try to ragdoll Keenum to his feet? The Concussion guy having to take a leak (or get popcorn or a Coca-Cola refill) is no excuse. There are dozens of coaches and other team and NFL personnel in the press box. The entire system broke down. The black marks on Goodell's record just keep on piling up, don't they?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did you see the lineman try to ragdoll Keenum to his feet? The Concussion guy having to take a leak (or get popcorn or a Coca-Cola refill) is no excuse. There are dozens of coaches and other team and NFL personnel in the press box. The entire system broke down. The black marks on Goodell's record just keep on piling up, don't they?

I still haven't seen the hit on Keenum or the OU QB. From what I have read and heard, both were obviously concussed and should have been removed. I still think PP and GDL should have been jailed for what they did to Whitmer against Cincy.

Reaction Score
Maybe Matt Bonislawski will start - strange things happen in Pennsylvania!
Whaler, you are really going back in the archives for that one. It was close for the first half at Pitt, but I think they ran away from us in the second half.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, you are really going back in the archives for that one. It was close for the first half at Pitt, but I think they ran away from us in the second half.

21-0 if memory serves. It was funny though - Edsall suprises by dusting off Bones!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Taking this in a different direction....If Sherriffs is out, I sure hope Anderson is getting reps with the first squad this week. He may have to start the second half.

Reaction Score
Taking this in a different direction....If Sherriffs is out, I sure hope Anderson is getting reps with the first squad this week. He may have to start the second half.

I was just going to say, if BS is out I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson back there running the wildcat at some point during the game.

Someone here suggested that on Monday and I don't hate the idea. You know Temple isn't preparing for that.

Reaction Score
No, not with the wildcat again... :eek:

Why not? Seriously, do you trust Boyle to run the same offense that Shirrefs has been? He performed adequately in relief last week, but you can't tell me you think that he can get us a W in Philly with that performance Saturday night.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Temple has a better D than Houston...I don't like the idea of Boyle doing anything too fancy back there. I like the idea of a Boyle/Anderson mix. If BS is out, I wouldn't be surprised if BD treats this game like the USF debacle last year. Keep running the ball and punting until you have to put the ball in the air.

This is going to be an ugly game in the best of conditions..but with BS out...and the possibility of rain...get ready for uber conservative play calling.

Reaction Score
Strategy wise....Would like to see no announcements until we actually trot out the first unit....

I would like to see some much more of Garrett. .....perhaps with new wrinkles of him in motion/ passing downs with Tommy Meyers
out and use of Garrett as a passer in the rare occasion. I think it would be a great time to be creative with a guy who has great hands,
decent speed, very smart and has size (Garrett goes 235).

Husky25

Reaction Score
UConn absolutely has a tendency to run on 1st down, but unless they gain a chunk of yardage (see the first drive), they passed on 2nd down. Boyle has to work on finding the open guy beyond the 1st down marker. I like the short throws and RAC plays and they are necessary because the offensive line is still far too porous, but the play calling is not as bad as it was the last 5 years. The other thing they have to do is avoid these preventable drive killing penalties. The plays should know what packages they are in.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He's cleared to practice, not cleared for contact as of yet.
Yep - Exactly what I wrote...
They report status.

IS BS cleared for practice?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yep - Exactly what I wrote...

IS BS cleared for practice?
Cleared for contact is the more important hurdle in the concussion protocol. A player can be cleared to practice in order to stay sharp. But the doctors have to clear the player for contact before he steps between the lines on game day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom