TN ranking streak likely to end + And it does . . . (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

TN ranking streak likely to end + And it does . . . (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HOOPS CAREER ENDING FOR UT’S JASMINE JONES

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- After graduating in three-and-a-half years and living her dream of being a Lady Vol basketball player, the hoops career of Tennessee forward Jasmine Jones is coming to an end.

The University of Tennessee Athletics Department issued the following statement Monday on Jones’ status.

Due to the contact nature of basketball and the risks of further injury, the UT Athletics Medical Staff has decidedJasmine Jones will no longer be cleared to participate on the women's basketball team. Instead, she will be focusing her athletics ability on non-contact and throwing events on the women's track & field team.

Jones will wrap up the 2015-16 season as an inactive member of the Lady Vol basketball team before spending the rest of the semester at UT with track & field.

[LINK]

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tenn Collapse has been coming for a very long time. Many of us saw it coming with Geno dominating Pat who had no answer for Geno offense. A very talented LV team with big brushers, a lot of height and talent. In the ole days it was always UConn and Tenn one and two in the polls and in recruiting. Tenns game plan was to rebound rebound rebound and get the best players. Then the Geno era began in 1995. It was who would get the top players Pat or Geno. UConn became the little darlins of WCBB and many of the top recruits wanted to play for Geno. Then came Geno signing EDD Caroline and Maya. The feud between the Boneyard and the Summitt was nasty. UConn won the recruiting race and Pat signed every top recruit she could. Most were post players and wings and no guards. Pat had lost out on the 3 prize recruits. The one savior for Pat was signing Parker. She kept Tenn winning and respectable but after her graduation This angered the LV fans and was the start of the 37 page NCAA debocale. The Tenn Collapse continued. Yeah we saw Clockwork Orange against Baylor with .002 left on the clock a foul on Baylor and Tenn won the game and then against Rutgers the clock had 2 seconds on it but the official never started the clock and Tenn had numerous chances to win the game and finally did. Then the games where numerous fouls were called on opponents and Tenn would win games. Then finally everything caught up and here we are today.

Leading up to this season LV fans had their hopes high. All that talent. A 6'6 post player and one of the top players in the country transferred to Tenn and now the bottom has fallen out. Some never saw it coming. Many UConn fans did. You cant out talent teams anymore not in this day and age. You cant out height them or out rebound them. Those days are in the past.

Can Tenn come back? They certainly have the talent but they haven't had the team or coaching for years. Pat tried desperately to find an offense and talked to Harry Perratta . Don't know what happened with that. Harry ran very good offenses but Pat never caught on. Still Tenn managed to hang around. Now the talent and more importantly the coaching around WCBB has improved and Tenn is living in the past. IMO and I am only guessing when I say I don't think the Tenn coaching staff was ever taught how to teach basketball. The reason I say that is because we keep seeing the same ole shoot and hit the boards which isn't working and it is more apparent this season then any other. this point the LVs need an experienced person to come in and built a new program if they are ever going to have any success. As we have seen its not the players .. they players have the talent but the team has no cohesiveness, no chemistry, no direction, and no plays. The present coaching staff does not have the skills to teach offense and defense. Pat ruled WCBB for years but those ideas no longer work. Holly has a long term contract and unless she steps down which I don't see, or cuts a deal with the Athletic Dept which is possible Tenn is never going to challenge for another NC again. I say that based on the current team, and no recruits coming in.

So now we wait and see. Tenn is no longer a top 30 team. If Tenn a couple of more games they are out of NCAAs and with the SEC tournament looming I don't see Tenn winning it. Listening to Holly in the post game I feel for her. She cant get it done and is lost trying. I never say give up but in this case its time for a change as the players parents and fans have had enough.

Reaction Score
Tenn Collapse has been coming for a very long time. Many of us saw it coming with Geno dominating Pat who had no answer for Geno offense. A very talented LV team with big brushers, a lot of height and talent. In the ole days it was always UConn and Tenn one and two in the polls and in recruiting. Tenns game plan was to rebound rebound rebound and get the best players. Then the Geno era began in 1995. It was who would get the top players Pat or Geno. UConn became the little darlins of WCBB and many of the top recruits wanted to play for Geno. Then came Geno signing EDD Caroline and Maya. The feud between the Boneyard and the Summitt was nasty. UConn won the recruiting race and Pat signed every top recruit she could. Most were post players and wings and no guards. Pat had lost out on the 3 prize recruits. The one savior for Pat was signing Parker. She kept Tenn winning and respectable but after her graduation This angered the LV fans and was the start of the 37 page NCAA debocale. The Tenn Collapse continued. Yeah we saw Clockwork Orange against Baylor with .002 left on the clock a foul on Baylor and Tenn won the game and then against Rutgers the clock had 2 seconds on it but the official never started the clock and Tenn had numerous chances to win the game and finally did. Then the games where numerous fouls were called on opponents and Tenn would win games. Then finally everything caught up and here we are today.

Leading up to this season LV fans had their hopes high. All that talent. A 6'6 post player and one of the top players in the country transferred to Tenn and now the bottom has fallen out. Some never saw it coming. Many UConn fans did. You cant out talent teams anymore not in this day and age. You cant out height them or out rebound them. Those days are in the past.

Can Tenn come back? They certainly have the talent but they haven't had the team or coaching for years. Pat tried desperately to find an offense and talked to Harry Perratta . Don't know what happened with that. Harry ran very good offenses but Pat never caught on. Still Tenn managed to hang around. Now the talent and more importantly the coaching around WCBB has improved and Tenn is living in the past. IMO and I am only guessing when I say I don't think the Tenn coaching staff was ever taught how to teach basketball. The reason I say that is because we keep seeing the same ole shoot and hit the boards which isn't working and it is more apparent this season then any other. this point the LVs need an experienced person to come in and built a new program if they are ever going to have any success. As we have seen its not the players .. they players have the talent but the team has no cohesiveness, no chemistry, no direction, and no plays. The present coaching staff does not have the skills to teach offense and defense. Pat ruled WCBB for years but those ideas no longer work. Holly has a long term contract and unless she steps down which I don't see, or cuts a deal with the Athletic Dept which is possible Tenn is never going to challenge for another NC again. I say that based on the current team, and no recruits coming in.

So now we wait and see. Tenn is no longer a top 30 team. If Tenn a couple of more games they are out of NCAAs and with the SEC tournament looming I don't see Tenn winning it. Listening to Holly in the post game I feel for her. She cant get it done and is lost trying. I never say give up but in this case its time for a change as the players parents and fans have had enough.
She may have a long term contract, but it would be in Holly's best interest to cut a deal , and leave.

Reaction Score
And for those who focus on the number of losses that TN has....

Darth Craterus @UniqueBlackman1
@CharlieCreme Any "other" team with 11 L's wouldn't even be in consideration, but I'mma let you finish.

Charlie Creme ‏@CharlieCreme 23h23 hours ago
not true. Ok St made it with 11 last year. Miami with 12. Oklahoma was a No. 5 seed with 11. Not close to true.

Charlie Creme is officially delusional: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...750/tennessee-lady-vols-31-year-run-poll-over

He's saying that Tennessee is a Final Four team, or at least has the talent. UT can come back. All they need is to "find an identity."

Clear now why he is clinging to the "7 Seed" schtick, while the rest of the world sees that UT is on the cusp of not being invited to the tournament altogether.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Sadly, I think Tennessee is at least a top 20 team. They just don't play like one. There are probably at least 10 WCBB coaches who could take this team and become a winner.

Reaction Score
Assuming we're at 428 weeks, then we will have this record too in four years if we average 34.25 wins per year or better (or 5 years with > 27.4 wins/year).

Congratulations in advance to the 2019-20 Huskies - another one bites the dust!

Don't know why you're talking about wins. This is a measure of weeks.
There are about 20 weeks of polls a year, so it would take about 7-8 years to break the Tenn record.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't know why you're talking about wins. This is a measure of weeks.
There are about 20 weeks of polls a year, so it would take about 7-8 years to break the Tenn record.
download.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2016 is pretty much a wrap in terms of players. For 2017 depending on who you talk to Lady Vols maybe in good shape. In addition to Kushkutuah (long though to be Lady Vols lean) there is Dorie Harrison (Izzy's sister) top 15 overall per ESPN and the number 2 Kid in the Class Rellah Boothe has expressed some level of interest in the Lady Vols although MD is thought to be the front runner. Lots of holes in the Lady Vols roster in '17 so too early to tell.

I'd expect for DeShields and Russell to leave after next season unless Tennessee puts together a Final Four year next season (or miraculously pulls it off this year). That leaves a 5 player roster of:

Kortney Dunbar
Alexa Middleton
Jaime Nared
Te'a Cooper
Meme Jackson

If that's Tennessee's lineup along with a slew of freshmen for 2017-18, that's a little scary for UT fans and doesn't spell a recipe for a team returning back to its glory days.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Paul Finebaum SEC/ESPN:

is reporting that Holly is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics