Tina Charles in NY | The Boneyard

Tina Charles in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am looking at her stats and I kind of see a similarity between her situation and BG's. Tina is only getting 13 shots a game, which is not nearly enough for a talent like her. She needs the opportunity to wear down her defenders and it doesn't seem like she is getting that on this squad. I would like to see her get about 20 shots a game.

I have not seen many of their games, but this seems to be a far cry from how she was utilized in CT. And since they have a losing record it seems that there would be more of an effort to get her more shots.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I am looking at her stats and I kind of see a similarity between her situation and BG's. Tina is only getting 13 shots a game, which is not nearly enough for a talent like her. She needs the opportunity to wear down her defenders and it doesn't seem like she is getting that on this squad. I would like to see her get about 20 shots a game.

I have not seen many of their games, but this seems to be a far cry from how she was utilized in CT. And since they have a losing record it seems that there would be more of an effort to get her more shots.

I disagree. they are replaying yesterday's game right now on MSG. NY clobbered the Mystics and Tina did her work well enough but a lot of what she did didn't show up in the box score, although her stats were very respectable: 14 points, 8 rebounds 1 assist and one steal. She missed 3 free throws, so she could have had three more plus whatever shots that didn't go in.

Cappie was on fire yesterday, and it looks as though the team is starting to jell. Tina is in a good place with a good coach, I am not at all worried that she will not get well utilized.

She is in a much different scenario than BG was last year, plus, we are talking about a storied pro, whereas BG was a rookie last year and not as assertive as she might have been.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

She also missed most of training camp and I think started a little slow. Lets see where she is at by the end of the season. I think unlike BG, the coaching will be better in NY than it was in Phoenix last year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree. they are replaying yesterday's game right now on MSG. NY clobbered the Mystics and Tina did her work well enough but a lot of what she did didn't show up in the box score, although her stats were very respectable: 14 points, 8 rebounds 1 assist and one steal. She missed 3 free throws, so she could have had three more plus whatever shots that didn't go in.

Cappie was on fire yesterday, and it looks as though the team is starting to jell. Tina is in a good place with a good coach, I am not at all worried that she will not get well utilized.

She is in a much different scenario than BG was last year, plus, we are talking about a storied pro, whereas BG was a rookie last year and not as assertive as she might have been.

Glad to get some insight from someone who has watched more of their games. Just from looking at the number of shots she is getting a game it seemed to me that she must be getting underuntilized.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
Glad to get some insight from someone who has watched more of their games. Just from looking at the number of shots she is getting a game it seemed to me that she must be getting underuntilized.

There is a lot of talent on the team and as I said they are coming together after a pretty rough start. I think they're going to be really really good

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Charles has also taken more shots than anyone else on the team. The problem is right now the Liberty are 2nd to last in the league in points per game.

On the plus side, they are first in the league in opponents' ppg, so perhaps they are playing at a slower pace, or perhaps the offense just hasn't gelled yet.

Reaction Score
Their point guard Leilani Mitchell took the year off to play for Australia so they had to draft a rookie point this year. Anna Cruz is pretty good but she and Charles need time to work things out together. Charles is new to the team as well and needs to learn to get the most out of all her teammates. It's a work in progress like most teams in the WNBA with new players this year.
I still think it's going to be a dogfight in the East as Chicago has came back to the pack. Atlanta looks to be in the driver's seat right now.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was happy to see Charles get more shots today. She went 11-19 from the field and ended with 25 points, which is much more like the Tina I want to see. Had Cappie not been so cold maybe the outcome would have been different for NY. But I do like seeing Charles being useed more on offense.

Reaction Score
. . . Had Cappie not been so cold maybe the outcome would have been different for NY. . . .

Cappie was 2 for 14 and Sugar Rogers was 1 for 10. That's a lot of shots
without much to show for it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Cappie was 2 for 14 and Sugar Rogers was 1 for 10. That's a lot of shots
without much to show for it.

Yep, they could have given Charles a lot more of those shots and their chances of winning would have increased considerably. I get frustrated by the WNBA as the guards often don't work for a better shot, they shoot at the first hint of daylight. Some players have never met a shot they didn't like.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Cappie probably has a green light to shoot whenever she feels she has an opening.

And a shooter is a shooter. If it isn't falling, they still shoot. It's what they do.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Striper69 said:
Shouldn't have cut Simmons.

She was extraneous. the back court is pretty full with good shooters.

Reaction Score
She was extraneous. the back court is pretty full with good shooters.
2 for 14 and 1 for 10? Yep, it sure looks like it.

That's been happening more often than not this season. Bill tried her out as a point guard which she isn't. She could've taken a lot of pressure off of Charles.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Striper69 said:
2 for 14 and 1 for 10? Yep, it sure looks like it.

That's been happening more often than not this season. Bill tried her out as a point guard which she isn't. She could've taken a lot of pressure off of Charles.

Why don't you take a look at the whole season thus far, and not just one game. And possibly read a few posts that were entered previously where I said this team is starting to gel and I think they're going to be really good.

People's expectations right off the bat are ridiculously high seriously. You have a bunch of high caliber players all Americans in college and they need time to put it together while struggling with finishing of other seasons and so on.

And I'm not going to get into a scuffle about Simmons but suffice it to say that she was a volume shooter in college and didn't necessarily take good shots and was hit or miss when it came to making them she had good days she had not so good days.

Reaction Score

Well, at least she doesn't have to drive down Route 95 to go home, so she must be happy.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
DICKG said:
Well, at least she doesn't have to drive down Route 95 to go home, so she must be happy.

agreed. I dislike that interstate intensly and always do what I can to avoid it.

Reaction Score
agreed. I dislike that interstate intensly and always do what I can to avoid it.
They drive too fast on parts of I-95 but it isn't as bad as some. I was in the NOVA area last night. The Beltway was like parking lot. I feel sorry for people who have to use it to get around. It wasn't half as bad when I lived there in the'80s.

I will take a close look at the guard shooting percentages in the games thus far. I have attended two Liberty games this season and saw some pretty bad shooting by the guards. I exclude Anna Cruz cause she's mainly trying to distribute the ball and be a point guard for the team. I understand that she's a rookie and has to have time to jell with the team.

But I do think Simmons had something that the other guards don't have. A little more stable than what the others are showing.

Reaction Score
I just looked at the regular season games and Poindexter had some pretty atrocious games and a few great games. I should add up the hits and misses but I'll bet the average is pretty low. The other guards beside Cruz are pretty bad also.

They would've been better off with Simmons at one of those spots. JMO though...

She's 42 for 108 shots. 19 of those baskets came in two games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, they could have given Charles a lot more of those shots and their chances of winning would have increased considerably. I get frustrated by the WNBA as the guards often don't work for a better shot, they shoot at the first hint of daylight. Some players have never met a shot they didn't like.
Getting back to your thought about Charles. The thing that struck me at both games I attended was that NY needs to work on getting Charles baskets not only in the post but when she isn't getting double teamed etc. There were long stretches where it didn't seem like she got the ball at all or had to pass off.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
let's check back with this at the end of the season where we will have more data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom