timelines not matching up... | The Boneyard

timelines not matching up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Simply put, HCBD doesn't share the same sense of urgency as the faithful
it's all about motivation & his is to tamp down any expectations whatsoever for a quick turnaround.
As pathetic as UConn fb's plight & the AAC might be, Bobby's in no rush.
Knocking himself out to try & squeeze 6 wins & a meaningless bowl berth out of the current roster does not match w/ his greater modus operandi (& only serves to increase expectations going into 2015)
The team was thin to begin w/ & then suddenly lost their starting QB after week 1.
What we are witnessing is a year-long mulligan
(something I'm familiar with)

I suggest increading the intake of fluids...

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I thought PPs' recruiting classes were described by many as 'uptick' and my feeling was they werent teachers - I guess that is out the window - Edsall recruited and coached far better than PP could dream of. If there was an uptick in recruiting how is it that these 'tecahers' that were brought in cannot fix it?

Reaction Score
I thought PPs' recruiting classes were described by many as 'uptick' and my feeling was they werent teachers - I guess that is out the window - Edsall recruited and coached far better than PP could dream of. If there was an uptick in recruiting how is it that these 'tecahers' that were brought in cannot fix it?

How would any coach do when he loses 13 seniors including 11 starters, then loses another (forgot the exact number) 17-18 underclassman?......Then has to put a team out there minus a couple of guys with other injuries.

I mean I get that everyone said "#uptick" with PP's recruits but look at who's left just since last year.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
How would any coach do when he loses 13 seniors including 11 starters, then loses another (forgot the exact number) 17-18 underclassman?.Then has to put a team out there minus a couple of guys with other injuries.

I mean I get that everyone said "#uptick" with PP's recruits but look at who's left just since last year.

Agreed - you made my point for me.
I want a coach who gets the BEST out of every player on the team - I am not seeing that now or if they are PP really really sucked at recruiting.

There was this guy years ago - he used to get blasted that he didnt know how to recruit, 2 star this, unranked that, no QB, but he kept putting winning teams on the field. And then some of those guys were so good they ended up in the LEAGUE when there college days were done.

I am patient with Diaco but I am questioning either the ability of these players or if they are motivated to be the best they can be and who decided they were talented enough to be given a scholarship.

The OL is just scary right now - scary. I hope CW and TB have insurance...

it is really time to #HuskyUp - someone should make the team watch that video.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
An uptick in recruiting maybe, but when did they get development as players?

Maybe this is the first coaching that some positions (OL) are getting.

A high school kid two years out with no training... Is still a high school level player.

I like that these kids have Foley on their side and it sounds like teaching and coaching is happening.

Reaction Score
The damage that was done before is going to take longer than one off season, and 4 reg season games to fix.

No coach in the world could have come in, after having PGDL take a sledgehammer to this program, and fixed it by the 4th game.

His approach is a long term one, and while i hate losing, i'm fine with it.

Reaction Score
I want a coach who gets the BEST out of every player on the team - I am not seeing that now or if they are PP really really sucked at recruiting.

There was this guy years ago - he used to get blasted that he didnt know how to recruit, 2 star this, unranked that, no QB, but he kept putting winning teams on the field. And then some of those guys were so good they ended up in the LEAGUE when there college days were done.

I am patient with Diaco but I am questioning either the ability of these players or if they are motivated to be the best they can be and who decided they were talented enough to be given a scholarship.

I'll keep repeating this until the end of time: When RE left in the dark of night after the Fiesta Bowl with a Maryland hat on his head, he left us with no QB, no RB, no Wideouts, and one quality playmaker, Ryan Griffin. A walk on, non scholarship, trick-throw guy started at QB that year. Edsall could not/did not recruit offensive players very well, and his very worst recruitment led to this 2011 team, PP's first year. Edsall might have eked out 6 wins with that team due to the stellar defense, but the offense was going to suck. I didn't realize just how bad PP was going to be (the entire Syracuse board came here and told us point blank what it was going to be like, and they called it exactly - they were scratching their heads in amusement and disbelief when we hired PP; Burton threw a S _it Fit) but PP lived up to the lowest of anyone's expectations. BD lost a very talented QB in CC due to his getting clocked in the head too many times behind this line. You should be patient with Diaco because he hasn't had the time to prove anything yet.

Reaction Score
I'll keep repeating this until the end of time: When RE left in the dark of night after the Fiesta Bowl with a Maryland hat on his head, he left us with no QB, no RB, no Wideouts, and one quality playmaker, Ryan Griffin. A walk on, non scholarship, trick-throw guy started at QB that year. Edsall could not/did not recruit offensive players very well, and his very worst recruitment led to this 2011 team, PP's first year. Edsall might have eked out 6 wins with that team due to the stellar defense, but the offense was going to suck. I didn't realize just how bad PP was going to be (the entire Syracuse board came here and told us point blank what it was going to be like, and they called it exactly - they were scratching their heads in amusement and disbelief when we hired PP; Burton threw a S _it Fit) but PP lived up to the lowest of anyone's expectations. BD lost a very talented QB in CC due to his getting clocked in the head too many times behind this line. You should be patient with Diaco because he hasn't had the time to prove anything yet.

I agree with this post 100%... as harsh as some of it may sound it's the truth... point blank.... the hard part for us fans is to sit through this season and find some good things out of what will be a very long season for us.. We're tired of this (losing 3 years, going on 4 now, in row) without a hint of seeing a "light at the end of the tunnel" ... We'll still have the same kids next year ( a few new ones in the recruiting class, but plenty of younger guys that we're currently depending on ). It's frustrating as all get out that you can clearly see some talent, but you also wonder (aloud sometimes) will these kids ever truly 'get it'? Bottom line, some will some won't... I just hope as we move forward we get a few surprises here and there. We get kids that will grow up over the season and become leaders on this football team and move us forward to something special WITHIN the next couple of years...(at least bowling in 2015, no less)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Back to the OP- Diaco is working on a multi-year timeline. P left our program in shambles, and it's going to take at least that long to fix things.

The problem, as it relates to CR, is that no conference would even sniff us right now with things as bad as they are.

I had a shred of hope before the season that maybe we would surprise some folks and be able to say "See? We aren't dead!"

That's now out the window and I'm finally nearing "acceptance" that things will have to drastically change before we even have a prayer of getting out of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Back to the OP- Diaco is working on a multi-year timeline. P left our program in shambles, and it's going to take at least that long to fix things.

The problem, as it relates to CR, is that no conference would even sniff us right now with things as bad as they are.

I had a shred of hope before the season that maybe we would surprise some folks and be able to say "See? We aren't dead!"

That's now out the window and I'm finally nearing "acceptance" that things will have to drastically change before we even have a prayer of getting out of the AAC.

We need a then Syracuse HC PP type recruiting class that features "SPLASH" offensive players... We get a Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison type situation here on offense (along with some quality OL help) that might be the only way we get consideration to a P5 anytime soon.....

Reaction Score
The damage that was done before is going to take longer than one off season, and 4 reg season games to fix.

No coach in the world could have come in, after having PGDL take a sledgehammer to this program, and fixed it by the 4th game.

His approach is a long term one, and while i hate losing, i'm fine with it.
I'm in agreement with this. But throw Geremy Davis the damn ball please. More than once in a game.

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:
We need a then Syracuse HC PP type recruiting class that features "SPLASH" offensive players... We get a Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison type situation here on offense (along with some quality OL help) that might be the only way we get consideration to a P5 anytime soon.....

I think we need an OL to accentuate the weapons we have. Boyle has a canon for an arm and we have 3 running backs that are oozing with star power potential in Newsome, Johnson and Mariner. We also have the prototypical FB bruiser in Max. We need the OL to open things up for these guys.

Some people are upset that we are playing so many backs. Frankly, I think they are too good to sit. We need them out there catching slant passes, running and blocking for each other. This team is devoid of talent. The guys we have that are truly blessed exceptional talent need to play. Put them out there as receiver targets if you have to and play Boyle if Chandler can't get them the ball.

The RBs and Boyle are our ticket out of hell.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The uptick was solely in how a bunch of overweight middle aged losers who sit behind a leyboard all day ranking players they've never seen live rated players P brought in vs how they rated the players RE was bringing in.

I can think of a couple of very highly touted offensive guards that P brought in (they were a major part of that uptick) who are so far behind they cannot even crack the two deep on what may be the worst offensive line we've put on the field this millenium.

The new staff will be able to teach but keep in mind how limited the time they have dat to teach these kids.

Reaction Score
I think we need an OL to accentuate the weapons we have. Boyle has a canon for an arm and we have 3 running backs that are oozing with star power potential in Newsome, Johnson and Mariner. We also have the prototypical FB bruiser in Max. We need the OL to open things up for these guys.

Some people are upset that we are playing so many backs. Frankly, I think they are too good to sit. We need them out there catching slant passes, running and blocking for each other. This team is devoid of talent. The guys we have that are truly blessed exceptional talent need to play. Put them out there as receiver targets if you have to and play Boyle if Chandler can't get them the ball.

good points bro... Right, now, with CW back there, it looks like he's running for his life after every snap...Can't accomplish anything at that QB position if you never get a moment to do anything.. maybe it is time to get the young pups on the field to get a glimpse of what's to come ( Boyle ). As for the RBs we have, they're clearly good... i could see glimpses in all of them vs. USF... only question is how do you get the OL to respond a little better? just a little...

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Boyle? You sure??
I think he likes the mobile QB...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I see a lot of unecessary debate about whether this rebuild will take time. We all know that.

The issue at hand is that BD is experiencing some growing pains as a first time head coach. That's OK, but to suggest that we can't question some of the weirdness in his decision-making and the some of the specific results, ah no.

There is certainly more than one way to build a program, but this fan base more than just about any other has a pretty good handle on what that's about.

So, when we are puzzled as to why the line can't block and why we are playing 6 running backs and 15 recievers or our lone NFL caliber senior receiver is off the field on critical passing downs. BD is going to have to deal with it. He came from ND, for crsssakes. He should know what unreasonable expectations look like.

The turtling that occurred in Tampa was a mistake, more so it came off as disrespectful to the names on the front and back of jersey as we were completely incapable. It also raises a few questions about the staffs ability to adjust, it's not like it's a new revelation, and deal with weather, which being from CT should be an advantage even on the road.

There has been improvement from last year and the BYU game in a lot of areas and this is a young team playing a lot of guys. The BSU game, players and fans, said a lot about where this program really is and that not all hope is lost, but those are separate from the reasons we are concerned.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My take is that I expected a lot of losing, because we were bad last season and lost a lot of players and now we've lost CC too.

I don't think it's too much to ask to look like we've actually ran an offense before and not what we saw Friday.

Reaction Score
My take is that I expected a lot of losing, because we were bad last season and lost a lot of players and now we've lost CC too.

I don't think it's too much to ask to look like we've actually ran an offense before and not what we saw Friday.

Try to play a game in a monsoon, with terribly young and inexperienced O line on the road, tell me how it works out for you? Im sure it won't be better. Our offense didn't look that bad against Boise st, did it? Circumstances.........

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
Boyle? You sure?? I think he likes the mobile QB...

The only thing mobile about Chandler is his quick leave of the pocket upon the snap. QIn terms of actual mobility, I think Boyle is quicker. I was all for Casey being the QB. Now I'm all in on Boyle.

Now granted, Casey wasn't as mobile but that doesn't matter anymore.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The only thing mobile about Chandler is his quick leave of the pocket upon the snap. QIn terms of actual mobility, I think Boyle is quicker. I was all for Casey being the QB. Now I'm all in on Boyle.

Now granted, Casey wasn't as mobile but that doesn't matter anymore.

I dont think of Boyle as being mobile or quick - if he was he probably would have stayed at BC as their offense philosophy/coach change was the reason he ended up at UConn anyways.

We will find out soon how mobile he is when he plays behind this OL.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Try to play a game in a monsoon, with terribly young and inexperienced O line on the road, tell me how it works out for you? Im sure it won't be better. Our offense didn't look that bad against Boise st, did it? Circumstances....

It was raining and spare me the road game bs. There were 1,000 people in the crowd.

People need to stop making excuses.

Reaction Score

Developing some players takes time. They get better with each year of development. Which means that even if this staff is good at developing players, upperclassmen will still not be as developed as their peers elsewhere who were spared PGDL. And, Edsall was simply better than most coaches at finding kids with no big time offers anywhere who end up being looked at by or making the League.

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
I dont think of Boyle as being mobile or quick - if he was he probably would have stayed at BC as their offense philosophy/coach change was the reason he ended up at UConn anyways. We will find out soon how mobile he is when he plays behind this OL.

Boyle is moderately mobile. He isn't a dual threat QB by any means, but neither is Chandler. The idea that we're playing Chandler for his ability to scramble is laughable. He doesn't even scramble for first downs when he has all the room in the world to do so. He just runs away from the pocket.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Boyle is moderately mobile. He isn't a dual threat QB by any means, but neither is Chandler. The idea that we're playing Chandler for his ability to scramble is laughable. He doesn't even scramble for first downs when he has all the room in the world to do so. He just runs away from the pocket.

GO TEAM!!

Way to back up our players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member