Tim Brando: "I think AAC Expands" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tim Brando: "I think AAC Expands"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boise won't come to the AAC unless they are convinced in their own mind that they are effectively shut out of realignment plans. Its the same argument as last time around. Why leave if the AAC breaks up again and be spread across the country when they have a safe league now. Their is no coming back a second time with the MWC.

The MWC would always take them back...they're the whole conference in football.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Brando has his ear to the ground. The American will reel in Texas and Oklahoma.

P6

ONIONS

I often thought about this when the Big East had all of those openings. Thought it would've been a really good spot for Clemson/FSU/Miami/Texas/OU/KU/ND/VT to join with WVU, Louisville, UConn, and whoever else was left.

EDIT: I should clarify that I thought about all of these schools essentially colluding together to "join" the Big East and take the opportunity to have the top football brands from the ACC and XII join together for a TV contract on par with SEC/B1G. Would never have happened but would've been a money raking machine.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Drew said:
I often thought about this when the Big East had all of those openings. Thought it would've been a really good spot for Clemson/FSU/Miami/Texas/OU/KU/ND/VT to join with WVU, Louisville, UConn, and whoever else was left.

EDIT: I should clarify that I thought about all of these schools essentially colluding together to "join" the Big East and take the opportunity to have the top football brands from the ACC and XII join together for a TV contract on par with SEC/B1G. Would never have happened but would've been a money raking machine.

They were still operating under the delusion that they were representing entities of higher education.

The next wave of CR, or perhaps the wave after that, may very well being the best non B1G, SEC TV brands merging into one or two conferences. What better way to dump the weaker sisters like Wake and BC.

Reaction Score
I think the more analysis we do, the more we see that the AAC is in an extremely tough spot. I don't think it will ever be P6 because success could draw invitations from the P5 for the top AAC programs. It can strive to be the best of the G5 but that is the finish line. If you expand, you may bring other programs one step closer to hoping for a P5 invite, such as a Buffalo, while making it more difficult for UCONN. It will not have enough success to be P6.
I think Buffalo, Army, UMASS, and ODU would be great geographical adds for UCONN in the AAC. The Mountaineers are having a pretty decent year and could be a Boone for the conference.

Reaction Score
It's not P5 today. And realistically, it wasn't the first time someone laid down that moniker.

It is SEC. B1G. and then Pac12. The first two are going widen the gap, widen the gap, widen the gap. The flow (TV prime showings, slots in March Madness, advertising tie-ins) are going to unequally go to the top conferences and then to their schools. There is now a clear second tier of ACC and B12; as the former Governor/now President of Oklahoma is looking around, there is leakage coming that makes both those two less than rock solid. This will consistently be quicksand. The Dude is going to watch a diminishing position of the West Virginia's type school.

Will it crater with someone making a first move? Might.

By 2025, the tiers will be significantly separate and widening. Some TV/content demand will grab more of the AAC because it is reasonably solid live content at a really lesser cost. That, to me, says that the Fees for the ACC and the B12 diminish.

This P5 is not created for more than a few years of stability.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Brando has his ear to the ground. The American will reel in Texas and Oklahoma.

P6

ONIONS

Heh... it'd instantly be a better conference than the B12 in the long run, and possibly in the short term as well. Unless you want to argue that Baylor, TCU, and the smoldering corpse of WVU are football powers.

Reaction Score
I don't think a Big XII/ACC tv contract merger would be any more than they currently get now. The Big XII is the State of Texas. From a media $$ perspective, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and western Iowa bring nothing to the table. Likewise, the ACC can bring North Carolina and Virginia to the table. Every other school is either a private school with a small fan base, a city school with a small fan base, and/or a school that is second fiddle in a state with a flagship program in the SEC or B1G.

If you polish two turds, you didn't s*h*i*t gold. You still are left with two turds.

Reaction Score
Maybe the AAC and the MWC can merge. We then would have plenty of teams. Toss in BYU as well. Why not. The best part though would be following one of UConn's Olympic sports teams to Hawaii to watch them play.

Reaction Score
I don't think a Big XII/ACC tv contract merger would be any more than they currently get now. The Big XII is the State of Texas. From a media $$ perspective, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and western Iowa bring nothing to the table. Likewise, the ACC can bring North Carolina and Virginia to the table. Every other school is either a private school with a small fan base, a city school with a small fan base, and/or a school that is second fiddle in a state with a flagship program in the SEC or B1G.

If you polish two turds, you didn't s*h*i*t gold. You still are left with two turds.

Two of those second fiddle schools (FSU-Clemson) had the best ABC/ESPN rating for the 3:30 slot in years...since FSU had a slightly better 3:30 rating playing Florida. And the 2015 season's 3rd best overnight rating across all networks and dates.

The most streamed game ever as well.

Although Ohio State played Minnesota at 8:00 PM, their viewership did not come close to matching.

Reaction Score
Two of those second fiddle schools (FSU-Clemson) had the best ABC/ESPN rating for the 3:30 slot in years...since FSU had a slightly better 3:30 rating playing Florida. And the 2015 season's 3rd best overnight rating across all networks and dates.

The most streamed game ever as well.

Although Ohio State played Minnesota at 8:00 PM, their viewership did not come close to matching.

If Florida State playing at #1 Clemson can't outdraw a run of the mill B1G Match up 100 out of 100 times they should disband football in The ACC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I don't think you're going to get very far trying to compare the ACC's marketability to the Big Ten's.

That issue has been settled.

Reaction Score
Well...of the ten most watched football games of 2014...

FSU was in games ranked #2, #5, #7, and #8....

Not a Big Ten in the top 10 most watched games in year 2014...regular season

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...watched-college-football-games-of-2014-121114

I don't care where you play...but if folks watch, you are marketable.
Which explains why the ACC Network and the ACC's overall TV deal is so much more lucrative than the B1G Netowrk and the B10's overall TV deal... oh, wait... never mind

Reaction Score
Which explains why the ACC Network and the ACC's overall TV deal is so much more lucrative than the B1G Netowrk and the B10's overall TV deal... oh, wait... never mind

when the ACC media deal was set, it was the top...timing more than anything else influenced the media deals, as the market reset. Heck, the ACC was making more than the B1G or SEC.

But...folks watch FSU...nationally. In large numbers.

Money is nice...but it is not why we play football. Rutgers may make a bunch (when they become fully vested in 2021), but they will still be Rutgers and the Noles will be the Noles.

Reaction Score
when the ACC media deal was set, it was the top...timing more than anything else influenced the media deals, as the market reset. Heck, the ACC was making more than the B1G or SEC.

Money is nice...but it is not why we play football. Rutgers may make a bunch (when they become fully vested in 2021), but they will still be Rutgers and the Noles will be the Noles.

The Noles may still be the Noles, but the majority of this board will remain indifferent to them and the product that The ACC puts out. This is a UCONN Board, your constant chest beating about FSU gets really old.

Reaction Score
The Noles may still be the Noles, but the majority of this board will remain indifferent to them and the product that The ACC puts out. This is a UCONN Board, your constant chest beating about FSU gets really old.
I've had him on ignore and haven't seen his endless FSU posts for awhile but it must be BBud..lol...I can't believe he still feels its necessary to pound them down our east coast throats..no one here really cares about them or the ACC... Maybe they have a subliminal ''COMPLEX/GUILT''...

Reaction Score
I was answering the poster who said that the ACC had only UNC and Virginia that could bring something to the table.

Of course he must have been talking new TV sets for a channel.....and I point out that there is also the national viewership of teams and that must count for something.

Heck, I understand the ambivalence towards the ACC from UConn folks....

Just as I am ambivalent about the money races...until they start ranking Texas #1 solely because of their revenue. There have always been rich programs and poorer programs....and some programs, in the same conference, will make $10 million less per year in revenue than the top pullers.

It is what it is....you need exposure, good recruits, decent coaching, and sometimes a place on the big stage.

Reaction Score
I've had him on ignore and haven't seen his endless FSU posts for awhile but it must be BBud..lol...I can't believe he still feels its necessary to pound them down our east coast throats..no one here really cares about them or the ACC... Maybe they have a subliminal ''COMPLEX/GUILT''...

Nicky...I have my newly purchased wife beater on and am having an anticipatory surge of testosterone.

I really enjoy your earnest, T shirt fan posts regarding Rutgers football. And I appreciate how difficult it must be, being a Rutger's guy, for you to post on the internet. You know, stringing three "W's" together.

I perform a service on this board, as do you. It is your village and you have a role...and I have a lightning rod sort of role as the resident evil. And thirsty jobs they are.

I'll raise a beer to ya this afternoon.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nicky...I have my newly purchased wife beater on and am having an anticipatory surge of testosterone.

I really enjoy your earnest, T shirt fan posts regarding Rutgers football. And I appreciate how difficult it must be, being a Rutger's guy, for you to post on the internet. You know, stringing three "W's" together.

I perform a service on this board, as do you. It is your village and you have a role...and I have a lightning rod sort of role as the resident evil. And thirsty jobs they are.

I'll raise a beer to ya this afternoon.

You think too highly of yourself. You're not a lightning rod, you're an annoyance.

pj

Reaction Score
I like Billybud personally, but he would be more fun to banter with if we ever met FSU on the field. He roots for a team with a record of wanting to avoid meeting us on the field of play. Sort of like the BC fans who used to come visit, when BC wouldn't play.

Reaction Score

The history is in. John Swofford made some poor strategic decisions. He took some of the wrong schools. And he tied himself to Raycom and didn't meet the wave that Delaney saw and the SEC Slive fell into. The P5 Cartel is really not that. And, the aCC media deal will continue to fall in comparison. And the FSU board & boosters - loyal guys all - will look for a way out.

Reaction Score
Southern miss & La tech in west and umass & army in the east
This league is already in Lousiana with Tulane. If I had to bet they make another run at BYU and Army. Or Air Force and Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom