Tim Brando: "I think AAC Expands" | The Boneyard

Tim Brando: "I think AAC Expands"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
J. A. McLoughlin ‏@holydudejoe 21h21 hours ago
@TimBrando use the crystal ball? Who expands next and what non P5 schools have best chances to make jump?

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 21h21 hours ago
.@holydudejoe I think the AAC expands first and improves their chance of becoming a power conference. That's why Group of 5 should latch on!

Reaction Score
latch on

Also found in: Idioms, Wikipedia.
latch on
vb
1. to attach oneself (to): to latch on to a new acquaintance.
2. to understand: he suddenly latched on to what they were up to.
3. US and Canadian to obtain; get

ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Verb
1. latch on - take hold of or attach to; "The biochip latches onto the genes"
grasp, hold on - hold firmly
2. latch on - adopt; "take up new ideas"
fasten on, hook on, seize on, take up
sweep up, embrace, espouse, adopt - take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own; "She embraced Catholicism"; "They adopted the Jewish faith"
3. latch on - understand, usually after some initial difficulty; "She didn't know what her classmates were plotting but finally caught on"
catch on, cotton on, get it, get onto, get wise, twig, tumble
apprehend, comprehend, get the picture, grok, savvy, grasp, compass, dig - get the meaning of something; "Do you comprehend the meaning of this letter?"

Reaction Score
As much as we all hate the AAC, if they added Boise and BYU this is a much stronger football conference, and P6 worthy.
Yeah those two make the most sense, but they each get about 6 million a year from their current TV arrangements with ESPN which is like 3 times what teams in our conference get. Be awesome if it could happen.

Reaction Score
He went to ULM. Of course, the AAC is going to expand. Someone wants to get out of C-USA!

Reaction Score
Aresco used to be on his radio show a lot. I think they are pretty good friends. May have some inside info?

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Yes, Aresco is a pal of his.

Not that I want to spend a lot of time parsing a Tim Brando tweet (I think he's mostly non-key) but--"latch on"? He wants the G5 to "latch on" to the AAC? I see all the definitions of "latch on" above and I still don't understand that sentence.

(To give him a little credit: he did correctly predict Boise and SDSU would not play a down in the BE/AAC.)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm going to assume that he meant G5 schools with aspirations of joining a P6 as they have no shot at a P5. It's not a horrible idea as about a fifth of the top 25 is G5 schools, not including Pitt. If non-AAC G5 FB powers consists of NIU, Boise, and Toledo then it becomes more difficult to keep the AAC out. All they would need is a contract NYE bowl tie-in and all that takes is money. An unlikely scenario, but if the AAC is in it for the long haul this has to be the strategy. Permanent G5 status gets you Lee Corso dressed as a former president once every couple years.

pj

Reaction Score
I think they stick with major market schools. Colorado State and Air Force would be good choices. Adds another time zone too.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the AAC is going to give this a honest go about it, then the same expansion philosophy would apply to the AAC as it does the B12. Add the best options. Period. Those best options are BYU and Boise. After adding both (and ONLY both) of those schools, then pick the next best out of Northern Illinois, Colorado St, SDSU, Utah St, UMass, Fresno St...whatever. Get to 20 with BYU and Boise in the fold and go into negotiations to try to get at least half of what P5 conferences get. It's an extreme long shot but it would help soften the blow for us while we sit in purgatory.

Reaction Score
I think MAC schools like Toledo and Northern Illinois would never leave that conference for another G5.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think MAC schools like Toledo and Northern Illinois would never leave that conference for another G5.

They would if it meant more money. Even if it was just a "football only" arrangement.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I think they would.

But you don't expand with those schools if you're the AAC.

The only reasonable expansion for the AAC is for a western wing of, say, Air Force, Boise, BYU and San Diego State. But that doesn't make any sense for those schools, so I think AAC expansion is pleasantly dead.

Dooley

Reaction Score
AAC expansion is an extreme long-shot. The only way they do it is if they can bring in BYU and Boise (plus whoever) and get their negotiation numbers into the double digit per year range. No use bringing in MAC schools if it doesn't raise the value of the next deal to $10M/yr.

Reaction Score
I think they would.

The only reasonable expansion for the AAC is for a western wing of, say, Air Force, Boise, BYU and San Diego State. But that doesn't make any sense for those schools, so I think AAC expansion is pleasantly dead.
Is that you John Marinatto? J/k.

If he could get more $$, Aresco could possibly make that happen. I doubt it though.

As for the Mac schools, they're probably the most stable of the G5 schools, with none harboring expectations to ever be on par with their bigger B1G brethren. I'm sure we could lure Buffalo though. They have decent hoops.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Conspiracy kitty hat, don your foil!!!!!!

This isn't a coincidence that Aresco is in the news again about calling the AAC a P6 conference. I know he has said it before, but national outlets are picking up on it now.

Add in Brando, a long-time friend of Aresco openly talking about the AAC expanding. Brando isn't the type of guy who worries about breaking stories first. So if he's twittering it, I think there's some embers to go with the smoke.

To top off the conspiracy theory sundae with a neon red marichino cherry, UConn is about to fly the coop and the AAC needs more teams. AAC picks off some combination from the MAC and MWC and clearly establishes itself well above any other G5 conference.

It makes too much sense not to be true.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If it expands I want BYU for all sports and Boise State (football-only).

Reaction Score
I think they would.

ODU and UTSA. :D

Reaction Score
ODU and UTSA. :D

Should the ACC loose a Virgina school to either the B1G or SEC, I would not be surprised at all if Old Dominion is seen as a viable replacement. Decent size TV market #43, just ahead of #50 Louisville), big football recruiting area, and can continue to link the southern ACC schools with everyone else. Plus, the Monarch has big dreams as I expect the size of their new football stadium to be pushed to the 35K to 40K range based on current attendance and overall objectives.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/05/odu-may-build-new-football-stadium-foreman-field

Reaction Score
I like Tim Brando a lot. In terms of X's and O's he's one of the best in talk radio. He understands the game inside the lines better than most of these clowns on the radio.

But that said, he's far from the guy to look at regarding CR. He doesn't have the inside sources of a McMurphy so take this with a huge helping of salt.

Regarding AAC expansion. Needs to be the right teams or it makes no sense.

I've been saying for a long time that VCU is a great candidate because they have no football team, but bring very good Olympic sports with them. Also gives UConn another east coast travel partner.

On football BYU and Boise State are the big prizes, with Air Force and Colorado State not far behind. Problem is that BYU and Boise would be out on a serious Island out there in the MW.

If you go to 14, I would want to see:

East
UConn
Temple
Cincy
UCF
USF
ECU
Memphis

West
BYU
Boise State
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy/VCU
Tulane

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what other G5 school out there would add $$$ value to the AAC. Boise State and BYU, the obvious first choices, have special $$$ agreements in which they make more money in their current agreements than they would otherwise. BYU as an independent, and Boise State in a special concession the Mountain West gave them in order to keep them in the conference. I think both schools would want similar special concessions if they ever did join the AAC, which means they would not be any more valuable to the AAC than any other school.

Likewise, I think the P5 will still refuse to become a P6 even if the AAC added six BYU's and six Boise States to the conference.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what other G5 school out there would add $$$ value to the AAC. Boise State and BYU, the obvious first choices, have special $$$ agreements in which they make more money in their current agreements than they would otherwise. BYU as an independent, and Boise State in a special concession the Mountain West gave them in order to keep them in the conference. I think both schools would want similar special concessions if they ever did join the AAC, which means they would not be any more valuable to the AAC than any other school.

Likewise, I think the P5 will still refuse to become a P6 even if the AAC added six BYU's and six Boise States to the conference.

Does anyone know when the current MWC TV deal expires? I am just curious but when that deal is up and none of the other MWC schools have gone to the NY6 game but Boise, will they push back and demand to get on equal footing?

If Boise has to take a haircut when that contract is up, the AAC - with an existing contract that is already more lucrative than the MWC - could be an attractive landing spot.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Boise won't come to the AAC unless they are convinced in their own mind that they are effectively shut out of realignment plans. Its the same argument as last time around. Why leave if the AAC breaks up again and be spread across the country when they have a safe league now. Their is no coming back a second time with the MWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom