Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If it was right at the half, I imagine they were still mad at the tech.

Personally, I think the guy needed to hang on to the rim and get his balance to protect himself or he could have been seriously hurt. His feet ended up higher than the rim, so the refs felt they had to call it. How much of that was embellishing and how much was simply the momentum of dunking after an end to end sprint, only he knows. But on a play like that, I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt. When a player isn't dunking after a full sprint and hangs on the rim for show, then you call it.

I thought that was an easy T

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If it was right at the half, I imagine they were still mad at the tech.

Personally, I think the guy needed to hang on to the rim and get his balance to protect himself or he could have been seriously hurt. His feet ended up higher than the rim, so the refs felt they had to call it. How much of that was embellishing and how much was simply the momentum of dunking after an end to end sprint, only he knows. But on a play like that, I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt. When a player isn't dunking after a full sprint and hangs on the rim for show, then you call it.

I have to disagree. His legs swung so high that he kicked the back of the backboard. I even if you want to say that was solely from his momentum and he couldn't have avoided it, he did a pull-up on the rim after he got his legs back under him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have to disagree. His legs swung so high that he kicked the back of the backboard...

I feel strongly both ways. He did a pull-up he didn't have to do, but I hate the rule. Why not give a warning then a T on the 2nd? You never see it twice in a game.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If you could tailgate hockey games we would end up shutting down the football program.

Let's start a Boneyard campaign for an outdoor UCONN hockey game at The Rent. I wonder if the novelty of that could bring out 38K or thereabouts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I feel strongly both ways. He did a pull-up he didn't have to do, but I hate the rule. Why not give a warning then a T on the 2nd? You never see it twice in a game.

1) That's silly - if you make the first instance a warning, you will have one nut from from each team doing a rim pull-up every game.

2) The rule is there to prevent someone from breaking a rim or a backboard. It's pretty easy to stay on the right side of this one.

Reaction Score
2) 2014 Early Season Ollie is much more animated than 2013 Early Season Ollie. He was a pillar of stone for much of last year and this year, he's walked halfway across Puerto Rico in two games. He got angrier at TSam for stepping on the end line than he did at anyone from November through March last year.

Yeah Ollie was working it. How can you not want to play your heart out for that guy.

3) Kentan Facey is my First Two Games MVP.

All KF needs is to hit a few jump shots and his confidence will soar. I know he in there for his rebounding but it would be nice if they could include him in the offense a little.

Fishy, incredible post. A list of 10 thoughts with n0 mention of Diamond Stone or food. That takes serious discipline
Facey is definitely the most improved player and maybe the biggest surprise. The athleticism was always there but he didn't look comfortable or sure of himself last year. He has come a long way and he will only get better.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He didn't get the T for hanging on - he got the T for doing a pull-up after he held on.

His forehead was over the rim.
He also kicked the freaking backboard before his chin up, they could use that dunk in the training video of what a Tech looks like. There was nothing gray about it. Just one of the many things the Announcers have been clueless about this week.

Reaction Score
I will always love Dayton fans no matter how roly. The chants at the end of the Cuse-Dayton games last year destroyed Cuse fans. They died. They were so defeated and the UD fans so happy that they stuck around to watch their former rival destroy Villaniva.

Reactions: pj

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
9) UConn hockey is playing and beating top ten teams. If you're not on the bandwagon, you're sorta late.

I'm on the #icebus...as long as they aren't playing BU. Look for Jack Eichel to dominate the game this afternoon. Go BU!

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. His legs swung so high that he kicked the back of the backboard. I even if you want to say that was solely from his momentum and he couldn't have avoided it, he did a pull-up on the rim after he got his legs back under him.

Yeah - I agree he pushed it too far. But he really did have to grab hold of the rim and let his legs swing up to get back on balance to land. You can't have kids worrying about a tech and letting go of the rim there and ending up in the hospital. He took it about 20-30 degrees too far - once his legs became an obtuse angle with the floor, he had gone a bit past what's reasonable to stop momentum.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Eh, the breakaway rim makes it damn-near impossible to break a backboard. Samuel's long-range shot has a better chance of breaking it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
1) Dayton fans. Routinely acknowledged as excellent fans. The new Big East f---ed up by not inviting them. But gosh, they are a chubby bunch. A tip - if your belt buckle is the same level as your nipples, you've got your pants up too high. Similarly, if you unzip your pants and only accomplish gaining an access window to your belly button, again, you've got your pants up too high.

2) 2014 Early Season Ollie is much more animated than 2013 Early Season Ollie. He was a pillar of stone for much of last year and this year, he's walked halfway across Puerto Rico in two games. He got angrier at TSam for stepping on the end line than he did at anyone from November through March last year.

3) Kentan Facey is my First Two Games MVP. We're basically getting five points and five rebounds and 24 minutes out of him. He isn't playing scared, he's active, he gets out on the break. He's learning quickly - at one point, with three fouls, he avoided a fourth by giving up ground while still making Pollard shoot over him. More importantly, he's allowing Ollie to keep Nolan off the floor right now.

5) Interesting lineup - Boatright, Purvis, Cassell, Hamilton and Facey. That lasted about three minutes and then another interesting lineup - Boat, Purvis, Cassell, Samuel and Brimah. That lasts a minute and then Hamilton comes in for Boat.

6) It's early, but I think I can see the rotation shaking out. I think Facey's emergence and Hamilton's ability to play the four in smaller lineups is pushing Nolan outside of the top eight assuming Calhoun returns healthy. (I'm still holding out hope for Calhoun.) Nolan and Lubin are the Break Glass in Case of Foul Trouble options.

7) Good things happen when Purvis and Terrrence are heading towards the basket. (Even if TSam had a tough day.) If you have a trio of off guards who go 6-4 195, 6-4 205 and 6-4 202, get them moving towards the basket and let the defense's pipsqueaks bounce off them, draw fouls, etc. When they're lofting long jump shots, it's almost like a turnover.

8) The defense was uniformly lousy for about 30 minutes - not sure I've ever seen a team at the front of the rim the way Dayton was today. It was merely indifferent for another five minutes and then was much more intense for the last five. Dayton wasn't really equipped to exploit that, but West Virginia will put up some points if the defense decides to take an in-game vacation like that.

9) UConn hockey is playing and beating top ten teams. If you're not on the bandwagon, you're sorta late.
Good thoughts. I am concerned about Omar and a strained MCL though. I don't think they will rush him back and do not expect to see him until second semester. That is too bad because the team will learn to play without him because he isn't practicing much either.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
There was a crowd shot in the first half where they showed the old guy in the Santa hat and his pudgy buddy having a great time - and then there was a crowd shot late in the second half where Santa and pudgy elf were just standing glumly with their arms folded.

I got a kick out of it.

That guy came down and chatted to the Dayton fan near me under the basket. They seemed like a passionate bunch. Next to him, some jackass shouted "Ebola" as Amida was shooting a free show. All my good will toward the Dayton fans vanished thereupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom