Thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
1) Dayton fans. Routinely acknowledged as excellent fans. The new Big East f---ed up by not inviting them. But gosh, they are a chubby bunch. A tip - if your belt buckle is the same level as your nipples, you've got your pants up too high. Similarly, if you unzip your pants and only accomplish gaining an access window to your belly button, again, you've got your pants up too high.

A large Fupa needs the extra support.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1) Dayton fans. Routinely acknowledged as excellent fans. The new Big East f---ed up by not inviting them. But gosh, they are a chubby bunch. A tip - if your belt buckle is the same level as your nipples, you've got your pants up too high. Similarly, if you unzip your pants and only accomplish gaining an access window to your belly button, again, you've got your pants up too high.

ESPN showed a group of Dayton fans (mid 50's, maybe) pointing and booing. Whether the boos were directed toward Ollie or the refs, that's bad form. One thing is for sure though. They sure do travel well. What's the unemployment rate around the greater Dayton Ohio metropolitan region?

Reaction Score
True. DD was a stretch 4 when he played that, he operated on the perimeter. Facey is more of a true 4. He can play it against most teams, certainly any AAC.

yup, would be nice to see a some more muscle and pounds on Facey, but D.D was pretty effective last year at the 4 at the same height/weight. the 20 pounds that Nolan put on hasn't proven to be of any tangible benefit whatsoever. In fact, on the downside, I think he's not jumping as well as last year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I watched, I wondered if it made me a bad person that I simultaneously acknowledged the excellence of their fans, and yet seemingly took extra joy in dashing their dreams for that very reason. I mean, to the point where I even caught myself smiling while day-dreaming about how the loss might ruin the rest of their weekend/trip.

Sick, right? Thought so.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fisjy, I agree with most everything you said but you have a bug up your a** about Nolan, his minutes were not bad today, he showed a nice post move, played some pretty solid D and left for some cheepies.

I'm sorry, but no.

Phil Nolan doesn't have a rebound yet this year - three games, 24 minutes, no rebounds. He has eight fouls, but no rebounds.

Once you add up poor defense, poor rebounding and generally just not an offensive presence, you understand why he got four minutes yesterday. If you play four good minutes, you get to play a fifth minute - he didn't which is why he spent the other 36 minutes watching.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As I watched, I wondered if it made me a bad person that I simultaneously acknowledged the excellence of their fans, and yet seemingly took extra joy in dashing their dreams for that very reason. I mean, to the point where I even caught myself smiling while day-dreaming about how the loss might ruin the rest of their weekend/trip.

There was a crowd shot in the first half where they showed the old guy in the Santa hat and his pudgy buddy having a great time - and then there was a crowd shot late in the second half where Santa and pudgy elf were just standing glumly with their arms folded.

I got a kick out of it.

Reaction Score
ESPN showed a group of Dayton fans (mid 50's, maybe) pointing and booing. Whether the boos were directed toward Ollie or the refs, that's bad form. One thing is for sure though. They sure do travel well. What's the unemployment rate around the greater Dayton Ohio metropolitan region?

Fans booing? That never happens. Shame on them.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Fans booing? That never happens. Shame on them.
They had no reason to boo. It was tied at 41 at the half.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
They had no reason to boo. It was tied at 41 at the half.

If it was right at the half, I imagine they were still mad at the tech.

Personally, I think the guy needed to hang on to the rim and get his balance to protect himself or he could have been seriously hurt. His feet ended up higher than the rim, so the refs felt they had to call it. How much of that was embellishing and how much was simply the momentum of dunking after an end to end sprint, only he knows. But on a play like that, I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt. When a player isn't dunking after a full sprint and hangs on the rim for show, then you call it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Sick, right? Thought so.

Eh, that's kinda what being a fan is all about.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You are probably right, but there was no reason to hang on the rim. I don't recall there being anyone under him in danger of him falling on. When your knees end up higher than the rim, there is all sorts of embellishment going on there. It was the right call.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Facey is interesting, is he, does he want to be a 4? He's listed as 6-9 206lbs. He needs to be 235 minimum to be an effective 4, even in college.

That's arbitrary. Not 230?

Btw, Roscoe was around 200 his freshman year. He did alright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
You are probably right, but there was no reason to hang on the rim. I don't recall there being anyone under him in danger of him falling on. When your knees end up higher than the rim, there is all sorts of embellishment going on there. It was the right call.

It wasn't that there was anyone under him - it was that his own momentum would have caused him to have a scary fall. Holding on to the rim was the only way to protect himself.

But I agree that his legs swung up so high that it put the ref in a spot where he had to call it. It looked techable in real time. Not sure I'd have gone crazy booing at the arena.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rule 4. Love the toughness that UConn has shown these games. That's "UConn basketball", out-toughing it's opponent. But here's a tweak I'd like to see from KO. Get back to your NBA philosophy of the last two years and stay with the hot hand(s). In both games in P.R (and against Bryant), UConn starters are hot from opening tip and jump out to double digit leads. KO, channeling his inner JC, pulls the starters and in a flash both the lead and the good mojo vanishes.

It's early. I'm pretty sure KO working through his lineups and seeing exactly what he has. Got hand will come in time. It's a process.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If it was right at the half, I imagine they were still mad at the tech.

Personally, I think the guy needed to hang on to the rim and get his balance to protect himself or he could have been seriously hurt. His feet ended up higher than the rim, so the refs felt they had to call it. How much of that was embellishing and how much was simply the momentum of dunking after an end to end sprint, only he knows. But on a play like that, I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt. When a player isn't dunking after a full sprint and hangs on the rim for show, then you call it.

He didn't get the T for hanging on - he got the T for doing a pull-up after he held on.

His forehead was over the rim.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dayton wasn't really equipped to exploit that, but West Virginia will put up some points if the defense decides to take an in-game vacation like that.

And Dayton would have beat them if they played like they did against CoC. It's a new game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There was a crowd shot in the first half where they showed the old guy in the Santa hat and his pudgy buddy having a great time - and then there was a crowd shot late in the second half where Santa and pudgy elf were just standing glumly with their arms folded.

I got a kick out of it.
Yep, those are the exact two moments I'm talking about. And now that I know you felt the same way, I guess that answers my question.

Just as I thought, I'm damned.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I got a kick out of it.

Reminds me of Kentucky fans last year.

Reaction Score
Obviously front line fouls make us play small ball for long stretches in the first halves and will be a big problem against big teams. What I noticed re watching the first half was that the poor on ball defense of our guards was causing our front court player fouls. Boatright took a head fake twice and got blown by, Hamilton twice, Samuel twice, and Cassell got blown by with no fake. That lead to 5 fouls by our bigs trying to help on those plays alone. Seems like improvement there would help us keep the bigs on the court.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but no.

Phil Nolan doesn't have a rebound yet this year - three games, 24 minutes, no rebounds. He has eight fouls, but no rebounds.

Once you add up poor defense, poor rebounding and generally just not an offensive presence, you understand why he got four minutes yesterday. If you play four good minutes, you get to play a fifth minute - he didn't which is why he spent the other 36 minutes watching.

That and foul trouble in the first half.

Reaction Score
That's arbitrary. Not 230?

Btw, Roscoe was around 200 his freshman year. He did alright.

He was 6'6" though not the 6'8 as listed. They're right Facey needs beef no doubt but he has improved enough to be a factor which I was not sure of! MVP after 3 games? Not really but that's coming from a guy who thinks (knows) I'm an a s s hole so he's probably correct :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not sure what people are expecting from nolan, he is a backup big and he has his strengths. Is he so bad you don't want to see him on the floor any longer? then who is your backup 5 when brimah inevitable runs into foul trouble or needs a blow? nolan fillsthis need perfectly fine.

the daniel hamilton at the 4 facey at the 5 lineup is going to be a terrible defensive line up, mainly because hamilton has no business guarding 4's or handling rotations on the back line. simply put he can't defend like a stretch 4, he is closer to a shooter guard than forward. and you couple that with the fact that cassell (a clear cut minus defender) would most likely be on the floor, just not a good recipe.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lovin' me that Facey-mon!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure what people are expecting from nolan, he is a backup big and he has his strengths. Is he so bad you don't want to see him on the floor any longer?

That's not it. It's that we have better options. He has to keep improving and be ready when called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom