Thoughts | The Boneyard

Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Dayton fans. Routinely acknowledged as excellent fans. The new Big East f---ed up by not inviting them. But gosh, they are a chubby bunch. A tip - if your belt buckle is the same level as your nipples, you've got your pants up too high. Similarly, if you unzip your pants and only accomplish gaining an access window to your belly button, again, you've got your pants up too high.

2) 2014 Early Season Ollie is much more animated than 2013 Early Season Ollie. He was a pillar of stone for much of last year and this year, he's walked halfway across Puerto Rico in two games. He got angrier at TSam for stepping on the end line than he did at anyone from November through March last year.

3) Kentan Facey is my First Two Games MVP. We're basically getting five points and five rebounds and 24 minutes out of him. He isn't playing scared, he's active, he gets out on the break. He's learning quickly - at one point, with three fouls, he avoided a fourth by giving up ground while still making Pollard shoot over him. More importantly, he's allowing Ollie to keep Nolan off the floor right now.

5) Interesting lineup - Boatright, Purvis, Cassell, Hamilton and Facey. That lasted about three minutes and then another interesting lineup - Boat, Purvis, Cassell, Samuel and Brimah. That lasts a minute and then Hamilton comes in for Boat.

6) It's early, but I think I can see the rotation shaking out. I think Facey's emergence and Hamilton's ability to play the four in smaller lineups is pushing Nolan outside of the top eight assuming Calhoun returns healthy. (I'm still holding out hope for Calhoun.) Nolan and Lubin are the Break Glass in Case of Foul Trouble options.

7) Good things happen when Purvis and Terrrence are heading towards the basket. (Even if TSam had a tough day.) If you have a trio of off guards who go 6-4 195, 6-4 205 and 6-4 202, get them moving towards the basket and let the defense's pipsqueaks bounce off them, draw fouls, etc. When they're lofting long jump shots, it's almost like a turnover.

8) The defense was uniformly lousy for about 30 minutes - not sure I've ever seen a team at the front of the rim the way Dayton was today. It was merely indifferent for another five minutes and then was much more intense for the last five. Dayton wasn't really equipped to exploit that, but West Virginia will put up some points if the defense decides to take an in-game vacation like that.

9) UConn hockey is playing and beating top ten teams. If you're not on the bandwagon, you're sorta late.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
9) UConn hockey is playing and beating top ten teams. If you're not on the bandwagon, you're sorta late.

It's the #IceBus. Come on, Fishy! They're for real and have started something special of their own.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
7) Good things happen when Purvis and Terrrence are heading towards the basket. (Even if TSam had a tough day.) If you have a trio of off guards who go 6-4 195, 6-4 205 and 6-4 202, get them moving towards the basket and let the defense's pipsqueaks bounce off them, draw fouls, etc. When they're lofting long jump shots, it's almost like a turnover.

Coaching staff has done a great job in recruiting and turning a team with some of the smallest guards in to a team with 3 Free Safeties.

The four guard lineup works because 3 of them are 6'4" and strong as oxen.

Purvis is LaBradford Smith of Louisville reincarnated. A football player's body and a fantastic athlete learning how to play basketball.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Heh, the wife raves about that Serial podcast. Heard a bit, seems pretty engrossing.

It is, but it has gotten to the point where you question where the story is going. Also, Adnan is guilty. I suggest you listen and agree with me :D

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It is, but it has gotten to the point where you question where the story is going. Also, Adnan is guilty. I suggest you listen and agree with me :D
Adnan paid Jay, jay did it, Jay got cold feet, put it on Adnan, Adnan knows he can't defend himself from the murder by saying he paid for it, the ultimate catch 22.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Phil is going to get his minutes. Amida isn't good enough at avoiding fouls, and Facey won't be able to play center against most good teams.

Reaction Score
Yes. Nolan is fine for the role he has evolved into. 10-15 minutes if stopgap. Strong positional screening & bumping the opposing Big - while we let the minutes go by to bring back the emerging Brimah. Rebounds are going to be occasionally in his hand. But Facey is grabbing the ones that you have to get off the floor. I did see Phil score.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
4) Adnan is guilty

Jay is too slick and may have played Adnan and the rest of the world, but the main thing I'm taking from Serial is that heavy marijuana use is not good for memory of details. The case is shrouded in a haze of misremembering.

Reaction Score
9) UConn hockey is playing and beating top ten teams. If you're not on the bandwagon, you're sorta late.[/QUOTE]

I've never been a huge hockey fan but I am really finding myself wishing I could catch some UConn hockey action. I live in the south now but always make a point to get up for a game in the winter. This year I will be trying hard to tie-in a hockey game as well.

Reaction Score
Was with a group of people who were talking Quinnipiac hockey last night. I told them get on UConn hockey train quickly while they can. They looked at me funny and I reminded them that we had beat them. Soon 6-8k attendance at the XL will be the norm. Damn, I wish I get there for weekday games.

Reaction Score
Agree on Facey. Doing a great job on the boards and can see him contributing on offense too.

Reaction Score
2) 2014 Early Season Ollie is much more animated than 2013 Early Season Ollie. He was a pillar of stone for much of last year and this year, he's walked halfway across Puerto Rico in two games. He got angrier at TSam for stepping on the end line than he did at anyone from November through March last year.

Yeah Ollie was working it. How can you not want to play your heart out for that guy.

3) Kentan Facey is my First Two Games MVP.

All KF needs is to hit a few jump shots and his confidence will soar. I know he in there for his rebounding but it would be nice if they could include him in the offense a little.

Fishy, incredible post. A list of 10 thoughts with n0 mention of Diamond Stone or food. That takes serious discipline

Reaction Score
Good story.
Bumped into Boat and his mom while we were walking to dinner. Boat was very cool- but I had to pull his mom aside and give her props.
First thing she did was give me a " double high five" and then actually guessed that I wanted to thank her for grabbing a Uconn flag and running up and down the floor in front of the Dayton section cutting off their mascot twice.
We all went nuts- awesome!

Reaction Score
Adding a couple of thoughts.

Ollie seems very determined to get Boat rest in both halfs. He sits him at about the 13 minute mark in the first half. This is to take advantage of the media break at the after 12 time out. Ollie has also gotten Boat a blow in the second half last couple of games. There is also an after 8 TO. He yanked Bat about then against the Dayton. There are not much of a rest, it might just be so Boat can reset. It only lasts a minute of two but it seems like something Ollie wants to do.

Nolan looks like he will be the first big off the bench replacing AB. This is a good use of his minutes. If he makes a contribution here it's a plus. If not, it's a couple of minutes where AB isn't picking up any fouls. I suspect it will remain this way for while as Ollie gives Nolan a chance to come round and earn more time.

Reaction Score
Facey is interesting, is he, does he want to be a 4? He's listed as 6-9 206lbs. He needs to be 235 minimum to be an effective 4, even in college.

Phil is going to get his minutes. Amida isn't good enough at avoiding fouls, and Facey won't be able to play center against most good teams.

Reaction Score
Rule 4. Love the toughness that UConn has shown these games. That's "UConn basketball", out-toughing it's opponent. But here's a tweak I'd like to see from KO. Get back to your NBA philosophy of the last two years and stay with the hot hand(s). In both games in P.R (and against Bryant), UConn starters are hot from opening tip and jump out to double digit leads. KO, channeling his inner JC, pulls the starters and in a flash both the lead and the good mojo vanishes.

Reaction Score
Facey is interesting, is he, does he want to be a 4? He's listed as 6-9 206lbs. He needs to be 235 minimum to be an effective 4, even in college.

yup, would be nice to see a some more muscle and pounds on Facey, but D.D was pretty effective last year at the 4 at the same height/weight. the 20 pounds that Nolan put on hasn't proven to be of any tangible benefit whatsoever. In fact, on the downside, I think he's not jumping as well as last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom