Thoughts on the DePaul game | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the DePaul game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll leave more detailed analysis and predictions to others. We have far more talent and could win by 30. But we need to take DePaul seriously. They should have beaten ND. They are well-coached and have several 3-point shooters. They made 16 tonight. I'd love to see a strong defensive effort from the Huskies. And let's pound the ball inside. We need to recall the Stanford loss and play with a chip on our shoulders.

Reaction Score
We ussually come out strong after exams to my best memory but idk the stats. I feel we will just be to big and athletic for them to stay close. 82-54 Uconn

Reaction Score
I'm nervous. Most around here felt the basketball universe righted itself and UConn is once more the best following the Notre Dame game. But its still only a few games in and that Stanford game still haunts me. Is the ship truly righted for the season? Or will holes show up again and sink them in another game?
It is going to take a few more wins against quality opponents for me to feel they have found their way. (Of course even if they haven't really gelled yet, there is time for Geno to work his magic while some of us fans worry and chew antacids!)

I think I was spoiled by the invincibility of last year's team!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
It'll just be nice to have a game after such a long layoff. The the players and the fans.

So true, Meyers! Even Geno is unhappy about the length of the break between games. And if Hyrnko hadn't lost her mind and her shot in the last half of the ND game, DePaul would have pulled that out. We shouldn't sleep on this one.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
"Yea, that school work can be a real inconvenience". - Rodney, Back To School.

Not to be a nudge, but exams were over on December 12....next game not till December 19. Probably because of DePaul's schedule....

Reaction Score
We have had a long layoff and Depaul just played the other night. Lets hope
we don't come out stale. Depaul made 16 3's their last game. When we played
UC Davis we made 18 for 28 and the next game against Stanford we made
11 for 30. It's hard for a team to light it up two games in a row, especially
with a good defensive team guarding you the second game. We will see
what happens tomorrow evening in Bridgeport.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Depaul is a solid team. Just like ND played UCONN even for long stretches (even jumped out and outplayed UCONN over the first 10 minutes), I don't think Depaul is as good as UCONN and even if it's close for a bit, UCONN will pull it out and win by 20+ IMHO...

Reaction Score
UCONN WILL BE FINE! Although Depaul can shoot the 3 they also have trouble defending the 3. They let Loyola,2-7, team shoot 11-15 from the 3 point line and also shoot 52% from the floor. UCONN 71 Depaul 48

Reaction Score
UCONN WILL BE FINE! Although Depaul can shoot the 3 they also have trouble defending the 3. They let Loyola,2-7, team shoot 11-15 from the 3 point line and also shoot 52% from the floor. UCONN 71 Depaul 48

Only 71? After they gave up 93 to Notre Dame and high 80's to lowly L-IL? Bump that up 20 points and you are more realistic 91 - 68 UConn.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Geno may go light on the gas against his good buddy. Expect the most time all season by our 3 person bench.
I don't expect a 30 point beatdown.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Geno may go light on the gas against his good buddy. Expect the most time all season by our 3 person bench.
I don't expect a 30 point beatdown.

I said 3 person, but I guess our transferee isn't playing anymore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As long as we are prepared and not over-confident, we should be fine. But defend the 3-pointers and layups, dammit!

I think DePaul is skilled offensively. My guess: UConn by 88-72.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm nervous. Most around here felt the basketball universe righted itself and UConn is once more the best following the Notre Dame game. But its still only a few games in and that Stanford game still haunts me. Is the ship truly righted for the season? Or will holes show up again and sink them in another game?
It is going to take a few more wins against quality opponents for me to feel they have found their way. (Of course even if they haven't really gelled yet, there is time for Geno to work his magic while some of us fans worry and chew antacids!)

I think I was spoiled by the invincibility of last year's team!
Have no fear- we are not nearly the same team that played Stanford. And Notre Dame is not really anything special- IMO!!!! Relax and enjoy the game tomorrow !!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
DePaul looked good against a couple of teams this season which didn't have height in the middle. We have height so I expect a lot of deep outside shots from DePaul and UConn fast breaking. Tonite it will be only be a matter of time before UConns height advantage takes over which is going to present a problem DePaul. I don't see DePaul getting inside on us which will force them to stay outside. Depaul wont be able to fast break if they have problems rebounding so therefore I see UConn focusing on an inside game where they can dominate. I do expect DePaul to play hard but much like weve seen from LVille over the years Deapauls lack of height is going to allow UConn to run away with this one.

UConn 91 DePaul 67

Reaction Score
I don't like seeing predictions about UCONN winning any game by a wide margin against good competition. This season, especially early, is all about developing team chemistry, getting players slotted into their new roles, and building momentum toward April.

Reaction Score
After the long break, UConn will be a bit rusty in the first 8-10 minutes, but the Huskies' big run will come right after the third TV timeout...and the halftime lead will be 15 points. That'll extend to around 30 points with 6 minutes to play and result in a 25-point victory.

Look for a big game from MoJeff tonight. She'll be ready, but oddly, Tuck will struggle.

Reaction Score
This is one of those games that can go 1 of 2 ways. If DePaul is able to shoot the ball well from the outside, keep the game close early, and gain confidence they will give UConn a relatively good game. However, if DePaul gets down early and can't knock down the outside jump shot then they are in real trouble. DePaul's Achilles heel is their defense and I think they have no shot of stopping UConn. No matter how this game unfolds I think that UConn wins, it is just a matter of by how much. I myself see UConn winning 88-62.

Reaction Score
After 13 days off, I expected the offense to be a bit rusty, but I am astounded by how lousy the defense is. DePaul is making us look like a very ordinary defensive team.

Yeah. Mojo fix is working ! Nicely done.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Huskies Rule said:
After 13 days off, I expected the offense to be a bit rusty, but I am astounded by how lousy the defense is. DePaul is making us look like a very ordinary defensive team.

Yeah. Mojo fix is working ! Nicely done.

Seriously DePaul comes out attacking the paint, where everybody else expected them to shoot the three, so they gain a little ground in the beginning. adjustment and suddenly UConn wins by what - 30?

Make no mistake DePaul is a very good team coached by a very good coach who also has worked with Geno and knows his stuff inside and out. none of this is really any surprise and UConn ended up with a amazing box score, despite this seemingly rusty start. Seriously sometimes you just have to wait and see how things sort themselves out before you rush to judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom