Thoughts on Texas? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Speaking of teams who might be a couple years away...they've got a nice recruiting class coming in with Higgs and Hosey and I was impressed with Atkins and McCarty at the McDonald's game.

This year, though, when I've seen them, I haven't been impressed. Lang and McGee-Stafford aren't very mobile. They seemed to struggle to create good looks.
Orangutan, I was trying be nice and drafted a post that said that Lang & McGee Stafford were slow of foot and lack lateral quickness but you beat me to it with the bolded. The team defensively also seems to average 1 defensive missed assignment per possession. Someone fails to help, doesn't close out, not rotate on almost every possession. That will prove to be fatal against UCONN.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for us Longhorn fans, our team's biggest issue is turnovers; just so many problems valuing possessions. After that, we seems to have lot of problems defending the 3-point shot. Teams have played a lot of zone defense against us all year long; when our guards can penetrate or hit shots from the perimeter, it makes our offense difficult to defend. But, being such a young team, we are inconsistent in our perimeter shooting and don't always take the smartest shots.

Losing PF Nneka Enemkpali, and her backup Nekia Jones, makes us very small at times unless both Imani & Lang are on the floor at the same time; that doesn't happen very often based on foul trouble and needing to be subbed out.

I know a lot of teams deal with injuries, but if Texas had remained healthy, the matchup with UConn could have been later in the tourney.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn will beat every team in the NCAAs by 25+ unless Geno calls off the press and pulls the starters. Only exceptions could be ND and maybe SC which UConn should win by 20+. To all the opposing fans out there that really haven't been following UConn. UConn can only lose by a fluke, or injuries. Stanford is a good example. Eventually you have to lose and UConn did against Stanford....a fluke. The NC will be UConn and somebody else and that's it and UConn by 20+ in the finals.

Reaction Score
Texas looks like a team that can trouble UConn for stretches if they play well (see: BYU last year). It's more a question of whether they can do it for an entire game, and that's less likely. But that is why we play the games, eh?

The Texas that started the year, with Enemkpali, was considerably more dangerous as a team. But then, if that team was still intact, UConn wouldn't be playing them in the S16 (because they'd likely be a 2 seed).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well it was once part of Mexico. Everything is BIG. Sam Houston was once President of the State.......Hope this helps......:rolleyes:

Sam Houston was the President of an independent country. Texas was a republic from 1836-1845 after winning the war with Mexico.

Unfortunately for them, they are NOT going to win the battles or the war vs. Connecticut!

Reaction Score
I photographed the Cal bracket last weekend and came away impressed with Texas. McGhee was dealing with foot issues earlier this season but is healthy and they have a powerful inside duo. They have a great freshman guard, McCarthy i believe is her name, that can really come in and light it up. It should be a really good game!

If you want to see a couple of my photos from the game check my blog:

http://douglaszimmerman.blogspot.com/2015/03/womens-ncaa-tournament-cal-texas.html

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The big girl for BYU last season was athletic and very quick big and BYU had a girl who shot lights out for a lot of the game. Im not very concerned UConn by 30+. UConn has to many shooters and UConn is too quick underneath. Next season Texas may be a top 4 team if height has anything to do with it. However Duke has height and UConn has handled them pretty well. I expect Texas to score in the 50's maybe low 60's. UConn will score 83+. All that height means nothing if you cant score a lot of points or keep your opponent from scoring a lot of points. I still believe good ball handlers will dominate and UConn has bigs who can handle the ball like guards. Texas doesn't.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I photographed the Cal bracket last weekend and came away impressed with Texas. McGhee was dealing with foot issues earlier this season but is healthy and they have a powerful inside duo. They have a great freshman guard, McCarthy i believe is her name, that can really come in and light it up. It should be a really good game!

If you want to see a couple of my photos from the game check my blog:

http://douglaszimmerman.blogspot.com/2015/03/womens-ncaa-tournament-cal-texas.html
Nice pics dougie. We also have a soccer forum on here. Don't know if you've checked that out or not yet.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have seen them play a few times this season as they are 30 miles up the road in Austin. They have three very tall members one of which is Imani Stafford-Mckee at 6' 7". As a team, they are very slow. Imani has to rest every so many minutes of play so they substitute another 6' 5" or 6' 6". They do not move the ball around like UConn, but then nobody does. Bacardi, a guard, shows promise, but is not the same caliber as MoJet. A good team, but not a match for UConn. Watch the video and you will hear the coach point out the flaws that was posted at their practice. Hope that this helps.
You old dog you.

Not sure about Bacardi though, it's pretty good.

bacardi1.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
This should be an interesting game..........Texas has size in the middle and may not be as athletic as some. But they are a good team. Any amount of foul trouble to the Bigs is going to be huge for Texas. Because their guards are going to have their hands full with MoJeff and Nurse.

All of the State of Texas will be watching this game as the States Flagship school plays in the Sweet 16. I think that Moriah Jefferson will be excited to be playing against many girls she know with Family and Friends watching on TV back at home. As for Stewie , well heck , the game is being played in her home State of New York in an arena that she has played in before. She too will be playing in front of Family and Friends....... Watch these 2 put on a show.

Yep , should be an interesting game indeed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Perhaps another key stat on the two less-than frightening-posts for the Horns. Lang and McGee-Stafford have combined for 44 assists on the year, while Stewart and Tuck have 214, almost 5 times as many. They Horns' bigs are simply looking to do one thing when they get the ball, and any kind of effective defense (something UConn is known for) can bottle them up, and since they have a 0.43 assist \ turnover ratio, that's a problem for them.

Reaction Score
This should be a real interesting match-up. I was at both Texas games last weekend and Texas is better than a lot of BYers think. McGe -Stafford is huge. And she is good. Even Kiah might have trouble blocking her shot in the paint. Their 6'5" Kelsey Lange shoots more mid-range shots and is also good. She comes off the bench but sometimes both are on the court. Their guards are quick and last weekend their 5'4" McDAA guard McCarty was sensational. She scored 16 points off the bench and every time Cal closed McCarty did something great. Texas is better than their seeding. On the other hand, they shoot only 42% and 30% from the three point line. McGee- Stafford is not quick and will not be able to stay with Stewie. Our three point shooting should be decisive. But getting points in the paint will not be easy. This could be a tough game for Gabby. I expect at least a 20 point victory but this is not a team to underestimate.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I don't know much about Texas, from the video I watched their coach is concerned about executing in the half court, but can they keep up and limit turn overs if UConn makes it a track meet? I'm gonna head over to their site and watch some videos and take a look at who they are. New opponents are always fun.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Whether some of us UConn fans "underestimate" teams like Texas because of their mediocre stats is not a problem since the UConn coaches and players never underestimate their opponents before overwhelming them, which allows the UConn fans to "underestimate" teams like Texas with a good degree of safety for many years. Teams like ND, Stanford, and LSU in 2007 are not of course teams that were really underestimated by fans since E8 and FF teams are always a challenge.

Reaction Score
Don't think Texas can score enough to beat UConn, nor do I think they have the defense to stop UConn for long stretches of time. Texas "MIGHT" get Morgan or Kiah into foul trouble, but IMHO can't stop UConn outside scoring unless team has a poor shooting day. I'm interested in seeing how Gabby handles the Bigs of Texas. Will she be able to rebound and get her patented put backs for baskets. Gabby only played 4 minutes against South Carolina, so I'm wanting to see more minutes and stats. Look for a double digit win for UConn.
How about we get there bigs in foul trouble first?? Then there Doommed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom