Thoughts on Texas? | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
I know very little about Texas, besides the fact that they have some height inside. It is also my understanding that they are not very proficient in the half-court. What does everyone think about this matchup?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't think Texas can score enough to beat UConn, nor do I think they have the defense to stop UConn for long stretches of time. Texas "MIGHT" get Morgan or Kiah into foul trouble, but IMHO can't stop UConn outside scoring unless team has a poor shooting day. I'm interested in seeing how Gabby handles the Bigs of Texas. Will she be able to rebound and get her patented put backs for baskets. Gabby only played 4 minutes against South Carolina, so I'm wanting to see more minutes and stats. Look for a double digit win for UConn.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Well, not EVERYTHING! MoJeff is from Texas! :p

Have you seen her heart???

images.jpg

Reaction Score
I know very little about Texas, besides the fact that they have some height inside. It is also my understanding that they are not very proficient in the half-court. What does everyone think about this matchup?
Great barbecue joints!

Reaction Score
My thoughts are that Uconn is a 29.5 point favorite.
Yea, and they have 10 losses. Not worth wracking our brains trying to figure out how we can lose, eh?

Reaction Score

Massey Ratings predicts a 28 point UConn victory over Texas . . . 81-53.

Reaction Score
I have seen them play a few times this season as they are 30 miles up the road in Austin. They have three very tall members one of which is Imani Stafford-Mckee at 6' 7". As a team, they are very slow. Imani has to rest every so many minutes of play so they substitute another 6' 5" or 6' 6". They do not move the ball around like UConn, but then nobody does. Bacardi, a guard, shows promise, but is not the same caliber as MoJet. A good team, but not a match for UConn. Watch the video and you will hear the coach point out the flaws that was posted at their practice. Hope that this helps.

Reaction Score
I figure Texas gives you all of test in this round. I expect UCONN to pull it out by double digits however. Last year BYU gave you all a pretty good test with Jennifer Hanson and company, and that was with Dolson in the middle. Although you all took care of them handily, they did provide some modest competition for some time in that game. Texas has two pretty tall centers in McGhee-Stafford and Lang. They're long like Hanson which could cause some problems. They also have a crop of decent guards in Davenport and Atkins. It'll be an interesting matchup for sure. It depends on which Texas team decides to show up on how competitive this game will be.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, for one thing, UT-Austin is my undergraduate alma mater :)

For another, I do think Kelsey Lang and Imani M-S will create some matchup issues.

However, I think Texas would be a MUCH stronger team with Ariel Atkins and Nneka Enemkpali.

Fnally, I don't think Texas will be the kind of force on defense, especially perimeter defense, to beat UConn.

I don't know that it will be another 56- or 36-point win, but I do think UConn wins by 15-20. That's my guess.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it will be a fun matchup.
Well, not EVERYTHING! MoJeff is from Texas! :p
But she sure PLAYS big, eh?!!

Seriously I think it will be a fun game. UCONN already showed they can blow out a team with superior size (Duke and SC most notably). SC has Stafford-McGee who is something like 6'7" and has another couple players in the 6'4"-6'5" range. Problem is Morgan is very strong and can likely bang with them in the post (never mind Stokes who is a beast). And for Imani, she's super tall but slender. I think Stewie, with her 7' wing span, will likely be equal to the task.

I'm looking forward to the game. I'd be surprised if they lost by less than 30, but that's just because UCONN has so many weapons. While we don't have "huge" size, per se, only Mo is "small". Nurse is big for a guard, KML is about 6', and Tuck and Stewie are 6'1" and 6'4" respectively.

I think Texas is a relatively slow and ponderous team. I think to a player, UCONN is more athletic, and in much better shape than the Texas kids. I expect us to run, and then run some more.

Reaction Score
Texas is pretty good. They are scrappy. They have some size in the paint but they struggle with how to use that size advantage. Just watching them play, they struggle with their half court sets. In their match-up with Stanford, earlier this season, Texas played very well. They looked like a contender or a top ten team. Then they laid an egg against Oklahoma and came out flat on offense and defense. So this is going to an interesting game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Defense and rebounding about sums it up for the Horns, as they are not very dangerous on offense. They get a few less rebounds less than the Huskies and have a decent 10 rpg margin for game, and hold opponents to a 35.8% on FGs. But they shoot at a rate of 42.7% even with their bigs, and 29.8% on 3s, and shoot FTs at only 68.8% rate. They turn the ball over more than 16 times a game and have a negative turnover margin, plus a A\TO ratio below 1.0. McGhee-Stafford and Lang are very tall, but this does not seem like a team that has much to challenge UConn effectively with, and MoJeff may have quite a day against her state's flagship sports program.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Speaking of teams who might be a couple years away...they've got a nice recruiting class coming in with Higgs and Hosey and I was impressed with Atkins and McCarty at the McDonald's game.

This year, though, when I've seen them, I haven't been impressed. Lang and McGee-Stafford aren't very mobile. They seemed to struggle to create good looks.

Reaction Score
Based upon injuries and recruiting they are at least 2 years away from being competitive enough to reach a FF

Reaction Score
I have seen them play a few times this season as they are 30 miles up the road in Austin. They have three very tall members one of which is Imani Stafford-Mckee at 6' 7". As a team, they are very slow. Imani has to rest every so many minutes of play so they substitute another 6' 5" or 6' 6". They do not move the ball around like UConn, but then nobody does. Bacardi, a guard, shows promise, but is not the same caliber as MoJet. A good team, but not a match for UConn. Watch the video and you will hear the coach point out the flaws that was posted at their practice. Hope that this helps.
I'm assuming you're from Texas like myself so are forced to see UT sports at some point lol. With that being said Ariel Atkins has potential, although she has been battling injuries this year. Curious to see her and Empress Davenport play against a player they have many times, Mo.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
okay guys as obviously I'm the only person here to have seen Texas play last weekend (both games):
1. they are big inside and will give UConn a run for its money there; by the 2nd game, Imani-Stafford and Lang were playing at the same time. I think Tuck will be able to outphysical Lang.
2. Atkins played, and she's good; Davenport is the wild card - she was great against Stanford and when she's on it makes a big difference
3. don't underestimate McCarty, who is a miniature MoJeff; and
4. yes, they'd be better with Enemkpali but it still should be a fun game to watch;

I think it will be a lot closer than the 25 point game others suggest - could be low double digits or even sway towards Texas if the stars align. Of course, if someone leaves KML open, I change my prediction to 30 points in favor of UConn!

Reaction Score
Speaking of teams who might be a couple years away...they've got a nice recruiting class coming in with Higgs and Hosey and I was impressed with Atkins and McCarty at the McDonald's game.

This year, though, when I've seen them, I haven't been impressed. Lang and McGee-Stafford aren't very mobile. They seemed to struggle to create good looks.

The NCAA tournament is a little more competitive than the McDonalds game - Atkins and McCarty are developing, they might be good in a year or two. Texas looks better in the airport than the basketball court - it should be an easy win

Reaction Score
I think Geno prefers to play against teams we haven't played for a while and
are thus unfamiliar with the intensity and effort that UConn brings for 40
minutes (or however long it takes to get a 30 point lead). Shock and awe
kind of thing.

Reaction Score
okay guys as obviously I'm the only person here to have seen Texas play last weekend (both games):
1. they are big inside and will give UConn a run for its money there; by the 2nd game, Imani-Stafford and Lang were playing at the same time. I think Tuck will be able to outphysical Lang.
2. Atkins played, and she's good; Davenport is the wild card - she was great against Stanford and when she's on it makes a big difference
3. don't underestimate McCarty, who is a miniature MoJeff; and
4. yes, they'd be better with Enemkpali but it still should be a fun game to watch;

I think it will be a lot closer than the 25 point game others suggest - could be low double digits or even sway towards Texas if the stars align. Of course, if someone leaves KML open, I change my prediction to 30 points in favor of UConn!
I didn't know a miniature MoJeff was even possible!:D

Reaction Score
Texas is pretty good. They are scrappy. They have some size in the paint but they struggle with how to use that size advantage. Just watching them play, they struggle with their half court sets. In their match-up with Stanford, earlier this season, Texas played very well. They looked like a contender or a top ten team. Then they laid an egg against Oklahoma and came out flat on offense and defense. So this is going to an interesting game.
Heh heh - have you every heard the winning team, or the favored team called "scrappy"? I usually use that term when I'm trying to be nice :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom