Thoughts on last night | The Boneyard

Thoughts on last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That one stung. It stung because this team is so close to putting it together, and all the great things that happened yesterday from an execution and coaching standpoint are going to be marred by the somewhat fluky final seven minutes. Everything everybody has already said is true: we controlled the game, almost wire-to-wire, on the road against a good team, down our second best player and with our best player scuffling. When everything has been said and written about, though, we're going to be reeling from that one because I really believe UConn is a better team than Cincinnati. That's not to say Cincinnati isn't a really good team that is especially difficult to beat at home, it's just that when you really examine the rosters in their entirety, it's pretty obvious as to which team has more talent. We've now lost four games this season - Stanford, Houston, SMU, and Cincinnati - where I've been damn sure we were the better team. I can never be upset with this team, though, only frustrated. Those kids played their a**es off yesterday - it was a great game between two good teams, the sort of palpable intensity that gives you reason to overlook all of the aesthetic eyesores college basketball can produce at times and love the sport.

Were I to examine our current situation critically - which I'm sure many of our other friends on this board already have covered - I could certainly make the case that this is a season that reeks of under-achievement and disappointment. We're in fifth place in a five team league, we've played four difficult games in conference play, and lost three of them (granted, three were road games). Even in the non-conference slate, some pretty bad teams - Maryland and Boston College - gave this team all they could handle. We beat an underwhelming Indiana team by one in an ugly game, dropped a home game to a Stanford team that we should have beat, and of course, lost to a dreadful Houston team. "Another season being irrelevant on the national scene", another poster might say.

But even though this season has given us plenty of reason to be negative (though probably less than some would let on), there is another reason, as the game last night exemplified, that gives us so much hope. The reason, put simply: Kevin Ollie can really, really coach. Sure, he's reminded everybody of his inexperience in certain spots, the team still makes many of the same maddening mistakes they've been making for two years, and the three guys we banked on "making the leap" - Daniels, Boatright, Calhoun - have either regressed or improved just enough to leave us wanting more.

For all his flaws, though, he's had the team ready to go in every big game we've played in since he took over. Whenever the spotlight has been on this team, and we've played on ESPN, against ranked teams, this team has represented themselves well. Even being just barely north of 40 - which is outrageously young for a coach - he's never had his pants pulled down by a Hall of Fame coach, and he's won more of the x's and o's battles than he's lost in games that require him to be on top of his game. From game planning, to tactical adjustments in-game, to out of bounds plays at the right time, to motivating his players...the guy has passed every test with flying colors. Being the basketball dork that I am, maybe I get more excited than I should when I see successful plays diagrammed, but he drew up a couple of superlative plays last night that were astonishingly successful against arguably the best defensive in the country.

If I knew how to take a screen shot, that would probably be the most effective course of action here, but since I'm technologically inept, I'll direct you to the point in the game the play occurred and briefly explain what I think is going on:

With about three minutes remaining in the first half, and UConn coming out of a TV timeout up five, Kevin Ollie sees an opportunity to extend the lead to ten. The first play is, on the surface, only modestly intricate, but it's purpose is to set up the next play. At the 2:55 mark, you can see the play beginning to unfold: the left side of the floor clears out, allowing Lasan Kromah to attack the basket from the left wing. Brimah bolts to the right block, setting a down screen for Boatright, who appears to pop up and set a decoy pick for Kromah (if it was a real pick, it seems doubtful Boatright would be the one setting it). Napier is stationed at the top of the key, and Giffey on the right wing. About a split-second after Boatright arrives, Kromah blows right by Sanders - who seems to be bracing himself for the oncoming screen, and not in ideal defensive position - and gets to the tin before Jackson can arrive. 28-21 UConn.

Now that Cincinnati is acquainted with Kromah's first step, Ollie wisely returns to Kromah on the very next play, except this time, in hopes to capitalize on the occasionally over-aggressive Cincinnati help defense with one of the best shooters in the country, Niels Giffey. The play is formatted the exact same way - with Kromah on the left wing, Brimah setting a down screen for Boatright, and Boatright popping up for a decoy screen - with one additional wrinkle. At 2:19, you can see Cincinnati has already lost: Kromah beat Sanders again, Jackson is forced to abandon Brimah to help on the drive, and now Brimah is free to pop up from the right block to screen for Giffey, allowing him to cut to the right corner uninterrupted. Kromah attracts the help, and skips a cross-court pass to Giffey. Brilliant. (It's possible that these two possessions featured the exact same play, and that Kromah simply explored two different sub-options within the same design).

There were more instances of mis-direction, off-ball screening, and otherwise successful offensive construction that Ollie generated at opportune times, but most people probably don't want to read another one of my 10,000 word posts. If you're interested, I'll be happy to point out other examples - just DM me, or something. Normally, it would seem fairly obvious that there are going to be sprinklings of elaborate play developments throughout the course of a high-stakes game like this one, but unfortunately, there is a segment of the board that still believes UConn doesn't run offense, so I'm happy to provide evidence to the contrary given the chance. As disappointing as last night's result was, games like that - coupled with Ollie's recruiting - tells me that this program isn't leaving the national scene anytime soon, conference be damned.

Lastly, I thought the defense was generally solid. Cronin does an admirable job of ensuring that Kilpatrick is in constant motion. Cincinnati's personnel, offensively speaking, is very limited, but when so many of their possessions are occupied by such extensive screening for one player, it begins to take a toll on the defense by the end of the game. Kromah did a great job on limiting Kilpatrick's dribble penetration, but the off-ball defense - which is more team-oriented - was prone to some sporadic lapses in communication, which is why Kilpatrick shot 5-8 from three (many of these looks were wide open). I still think this defense should be better - when you have two defenders on the wing like Giffey and Kromah, coupled with a shot blocking presence like Brimah, I have to believe that there are still some imperfections in our team defense that haven't been resolved. The defense has improved, but it's not there yet. There are some loopholes in the system - which I would imagine is a product of our youth at the center position - that produce an excessive amount of layups and three's. It's unreasonable to expect every shot to be hotly contested, but the best defenses have that mindset. If this team wants to win in March, the breakdowns need to become fewer and further between, and communication mishaps have to be just about extinct.

I'll get to the player notes later tonight or tomorrow, but the coming weeks will obviously shape the way we perceive the Cincinnati game. Was it a valuable learning experience (like all those games we lost when we ran the gauntlet in the Big East three years ago) that will harden the team in a tournament setting, or was it a missed opportunity that more or less solidified this teams reputation as a squad that makes just enough mistakes to never reach their ceiling. What I will say, is that this game didn't change my perception of the team at all. They're as talented as all but a few teams in the country from an athleticism and skill perspective, they're determined, and even if their tournament run ends prematurely, I know that this team is going to expect to win and play their hearts out whenever they take the court. They will be a tough out, and if we lose, it will be because the other team just made more plays on that day. As a fan, that's all I can really ask for. Go Huskies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It didnt' sting me too badly. We played really well for a majority of the game without one of our top players. The end result sucked but it gave me confidence that we can play with anyone in the country on a neutral court with a full cast of characters. Bring on the NCAA tourney.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Cincinnati isn't going to blow anyone out over the course of 40 minutes because we don't have superior talent or depth (2 guys redshirting). What I like most about the UC team is how they completely shut the water off defensively the last 5 minutes of close games. They methodically wear down the opponent. UConn was running excellent offense (I was extremely impressed) but when UC ratcheted up the defense you guys got stagnant which is what most college and pro teams do against tough defense.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati isn't going to blow anyone out over the course of 40 minutes because we don't have superior talent or depth (2 guys redshirting). What I like most about the UC team is how they completely shut the water off defensively the last 5 minutes of close games. They methodically wear down the opponent. UConn was running excellent offense (I was extremely impressed) but when UC ratcheted up the defense you guys got stagnant which is what most college and pro teams do against tough defense.

Don't take my commentary on Cincinnati the wrong way, they are a very good team, and in my opinion, the best defensive team in the country. If Cincinnati and UConn played a seven game series, I think it would go the full seven. Cincinnati does send off a little bit of a Pitt vibe though - no NBA talent, not much complementary scoring in addition to Kilpatrick, not a ton of threats from three. They're a good team, but I think they're closer to the 20th best team in the country than 7th.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Don't take my commentary on Cincinnati the wrong way, they are a very good team, and in my opinion, the best defensive team in the country. If Cincinnati and UConn played a seven game series, I think it would go the full seven. Cincinnati does send off a little bit of a Pitt vibe though - no NBA talent, not much complementary scoring in addition to Kilpatrick, not a ton of threats from three. They're a good team, but I think they're closer to the 20th best team in the country than 7th.

Absolutely. The computer numbers support your assertion. Cincinnati is probably somewhere around 15th-20th in the country because of the lack of offensive efficiency. It isn't necessarily about who you beat but rather when you beat them. Last week 15/25 ranked teams lost at least once so someone had to move up to the top 10. Personally, I'd like if there was less fluctuation from week to week in the rankings. Road losses in conference happen, even to the best teams in the country...

Reaction Score
Good read but you are way way too pessimistic about UConn's results so far. Close wins against Maryland and Indiana aren't surprising at all--especially when you consider Indiana has BEATEN teams like Michigan, and they have a few other decent wins. As for Maryland, that was a double digit lead until Shabazz got a ridiculous tech, and his next foul knocked him out of the game. UConn played the last 10 minutes with Shabazz basically shut down. UConn won at Washington and lost to a good Stanford team that is coming on strong (yes, the loss was bad at home as they had control of the game). I am not down on UConn's resume at all short of the Houston away game.

Reaction Score
Good read but you are way way too pessimistic about UConn's results so far. Close wins against Maryland and Indiana aren't surprising at all--especially when you consider Indiana has BEATEN teams like Michigan, and they have a few other decent wins. As for Maryland, that was a double digit lead until Shabazz got a ridiculous tech, and his next foul knocked him out of the game. UConn played the last 10 minutes with Shabazz basically shut down. UConn won at Washington and lost to a good Stanford team that is coming on strong (yes, the loss was bad at home as they had control of the game). I am not down on UConn's resume at all short of the Houston away game.

The second paragraph was meant to be an overly-critical deviation from the rest of the post. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Reaction Score
After watching the game and carefull analisis along with indepth research I came to the conclusion we lost!
@ Champs you are correct on the 10,000 words but I like your conference be damned reference.
Hartford March 1st high noon...Pay back is a beach...

Reaction Score
This Cincy team is modeled right after some of Pitt's better teams. Not much NBA talent, but they're seemingly a bunch of old men out there beating you down with size and experience.

Reaction Score
This Cincy team is modeled right after some of Pitt's better teams. Not much NBA talent, but they're seemingly a bunch of old men out there beating you down with size and experience.
Soooo you're saying you like our chances if we play them in the conference tourney?;)

Reaction Score
Player notes:

Bazz - Cincinnati is the first time we've played all season that's been able to more or less shut down Bazz, or at least take him out of his game. Normally, even when he's having a bad day from the field, he's able to create his own shot virtually whenever he wants. Most big men are utterly helpless when they are forced into switching onto Bazz, but Cincinnati is one of the rare teams whose big men possess the length and lateral quickness to at least force him into difficult shots. He definitely forced a couple shots early in possessions, but I don't have a huge problem with the way he played otherwise - when Kromah and Giffey had it going early, he deferred to them rather than forcing the issue. Late in the second half, I think he tried to take over out of necessity more than anything else - the half-court offense stagnated, and the easy looks we were generating for Kromah and Giffey weren't there anymore. These are the type of games where we really need this next guy to play better...

Boat - I'm just perplexed at this point with the way he's approaching these games. Yeah, he's expanded his game in certain areas - he doesn't force as many bad shots as he did last season, his turnover rate is down, and he's worked hard to eliminate his bad habits defensively (I can't think of too many defensive breakdowns that you could attribute to Boat last night). But his reluctance to take good, open shots continues to baffle me. Ryan is a kid who I never thought would lack for confidence, but the only explanation at this point I can muster is that he has no confidence in his jumper. His ability to create space off the bounce is as valuable as it ever was, he just seems hesitant to let if fly for whatever reason. I think it might be a case of a kid who collaborated with the coaching staff after last season, got a specific list of things to improve on, and is now thinking a little too much out there.

T-Sam - If there is a nit to pick with the way Ollie coached that game, it would be the fact that Samuel didn't play a single minute in the second half after providing valuable energy off the bench early in the game. Maybe KO doesn't feel he can trust Samuel in tough environments like that yet, but what I do know is Napier played the entire second half, and it noticeably effected him down the stretch. The thing that impresses me the most about Samuel is his composure for somebody his age. He plays to his strengths, meaning he doesn't force shots from the perimeter and instead puts pressure on the defense and officials by attacking the basket. I think he's going to be a really good player.

Omar - I liked what he gave us in that game. Of course, he still can't buy a basket from behind the three point line, but he grabbed a couple rebounds in traffic, held up his end of the bargain defensively, and even hit a nice mid-range jumper along the baseline that demonstrated nice poise. Not a great performance by any means, but it counts as a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. I doubt he'll "break out" like we've been hoping for anytime soon, but I think he's close to being a consistent contributor again.

Lasan - Aside from Kilpatrick, Lasan was the best player on the court the other night. His defense was phenomenal - I can't recall a single instance of him getting beat off the dribble - and whenever Kilpatrick got free, it was because Lasan got tripped up in a maze of screens and his teammates were late to identify the open man. With Boatright and Napier generally occupying the best two perimeter defenders of the opponent, Lasan has been instrumental in Ollie being able to exploit mismatches. He's just added so much to this offense, and at the time being, he's our second best creator against top competition. If you can find me a kid who is more fundamentally sound on both ends of the court, I'm all ears. Awesome player.

Giff - I thought Niels played a really good game. Obviously, I still wish he was a little more aggressive offensively, but at this point in his career, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. The pump fake to get the defender in the air and accompanying mid-range jumper in the first half was encouraging, and something I wish he'd do more. You don't have to be the quickest player in the world to create space off the dribble when you're as dangerous from three as he is - sometimes a quick pump fake and single dribble is all it takes. The play Ollie ran in the first half for him - which I highlighted in the OP - was a thing of beauty simply because there was no f'in way he was missing. From now on, I want to see at least one elaborate set per game run for him to get him an open look. The fact that he's still shooting 55% from three at this point in the season is absurd.

On defense, Giffey was largely pretty effective guarding Kilpatrick. Late in the second half, I thought Giffey was a bit over-aggressive on him, hounding him at half-court and leaving himself vulnerable to a blow by drive (this was the phantom continuation call that was eventually reversed). If he's not the best on-ball defender on the team, he's second. His off-ball defense continues to be frustrating at times, but I don't know how much of that his him unnecessarily improvising and how much of it is our system, so it's hard to give him too much grief. Either way, if there is a better sixth man in the country, I'd like to see him. Not too many guys can step right in and play 38 effective minutes when the teams second leading scorer goes down.

Facey - It might be purely coincidence, but there always seems to be a lot of confusion defensively when he's on the court. And, as a tip to Ollie, the Facey-Olander front line probably isn't a good idea moving forward - I'm pretty sure we surrendered at least two wide open layups when those two were out there. The slow foot speed of Olander coupled with the inexperience of Facey is a disaster waiting to happen. I did like what Facey gave us, though. He grabbed a defensive board and kept another ball alive on the offensive glass in the two minutes he was out there. Clearly, though, Ollie doesn't feel he's ready to contribute in games like that, and it's tough to argue.

Tyler - I actually thought TO should have played crunch-time minutes in that game, especially down the stretch when we needed a three to tie it up. The offense just seems to be more effective when he's out there. Regardless, he's a great safety blanket to have in games like that - not too many coaches have the luxury of plugging in a senior with national title experience when things go awry with the younger big's. For everything that is going to be said and written about TO, and his career here, the biggest compliment I can pay him is that he's never going to be the guy who makes the huge mistake to cost you. That's comforting as a coach.

Nolan - The kid just can't stay on the floor against talented front lines. Maybe he just gets a bad whistle, but I think it's a case of him not being strong enough to bang with centers on the block, and then when he over-compensates, he gets called for fouls. You can see the frustration on his face when he's forced to go to the bench. I'd say he's a bit of a tweener at this point who will be a valuable third big over his next two years here.

Brimah - The mere fact that he was able to stay on the court for 27 minutes against the #7 team in the country is encouraging. He still struggles to win those territory battles in the post against juniors and seniors, but he's already come a long way in his time here. There is no way November or December Brimah would have played 27 minutes in this game. 4-6 at the free throw line is very promising, and we actually went to him in the post and got a good result (a foul) early in the game. The pass Napier made to him in the second half off the roll on the right wing - which resulted in a travel - drew the ire of many in the game chat, but I put the blame on Napier there. For as much as Brimah's grown as a player, asking him to catch the ball on the run, plant without traveling, and then make a move to score over the help defense is something he's not prepared to do yet. His growth is definitely exciting, though. He's so much more disciplined - even if it has come at the expense of some blocks - than he was early in the season, his instinctual understanding of the way the ball caroms off the rim has improved, and he's not dropping nearly as many rebounds and passes out of bounds. If this kid isn't a force by his junior year, I'll be surprised.

Reaction Score
He [Shabazz] definitely forced a couple shots early in possessions, but I don't have a huge problem with the way he played otherwise.

Disagree. He gunned up too many poor shots. He appeared to want to make it a Shabazz/Kilpatrick contest and seemed insistent on showing he could hit the deep ball. He let the 2nd half get away from him.

Late in the second half, I think he tried to take over out of necessity more than anything else

Couldn't disagree more. His decision to start gunning is what shut down the offense. I don't agree that WKRP suddenly changed their D. Maybe he was tired.

Ryan is a kid who I never thought would lack for confidence, but the only explanation at this point I can muster is that he has no confidence in his jumper.

Agree completely. Seems to have lost swagger. I thought he needed to reduce his over-confidence, but he may have dropped it too much.

I think it might be a case of a kid who collaborated with the coaching staff after last season, got a specific list of things to improve on, and is now thinking a little too much out there.

Agree. Seems likely.

T-Sam - If there is a nit to pick with the way Ollie coached that game, it would be the fact that Samuel didn't play a single minute in the second half after providing valuable energy off the bench early in the game.

Agree. I liked his input. He brought high energy. More TS in the 2nd may have spelled SN and it may have helped, as you wrote.

The thing that impresses me the most about Samuel is his composure for somebody his age. He plays to his strengths, meaning he doesn't force shots from the perimeter and instead puts pressure on the defense and officials by attacking the basket.

Agree, except to note that, when you can't shoot worth from the outside, driving is more "avoiding your weakness" than "playing to your strength." I agree that he could end up being really good. Very strong to the rim.

Omar - I liked what he gave us in that game.

No. Nope. No.

but it counts as a step in the right direction [for Omar] as far as I'm concerned.

No. Unless by "step in the right direction" you mean, "Omar never starts for us again."

I doubt he'll "break out" like we've been hoping for anytime soon, but I think he's close to being a consistent contributor again.

Agree. Would love to see it, but it's hard to see.

Lasan - Aside from Kilpatrick, Lasan was the best player on the court the other night.

Agree completely. Excellent game.

Giff - I thought Niels played a really good game.

Agree, other than him attempting to drive from the top of the key through traffic, which never works for him.

From now on, I want to see at least one elaborate set per game run for [Giffey] to get him an open look. The fact that he's still shooting 55% from three at this point in the season is absurd.

Agree.

Tyler - I actually thought TO should have played crunch-time minutes in that game, especially down the stretch when we needed a three to tie it up.

Disagree. Against a team like WKRP, the dude is just too slow, and he gets blown by. He cannot defend quick, athletic people of any height.

The offense just seems to be more effective when he's out there.

Not sure. I'd have to review it, but what we give up on D does not compensate for what we may gain on O.

Nolan - Maybe he just gets a bad whistle, but I think it's a case of him not being strong enough to bang with centers on the
block, and then when he over-compensates, he gets called for fouls.
I agree completely. He's not just a victim of bad calls - it's the way he presents himself on the court. The officials are just seeing his movements as foul movements. I'm not sure what the cure is. Maybe it's positioning, maybe it's getting pushed around - hard to say.

Brimah - agree on all.

See 99/04. I appreciate your posts and I like to read them. I wanted to demonstrate that by giving you a complete response. Thanks for your regular input on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom