Thoughts….. | The Boneyard

Thoughts…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Huskies took it to Temple early and often by mainly making 3's in bunches………really had them reeling and Bazz was terrific………15 in only 12 minutes and then DD took over. These 2 were out of their minds good tonight and DD had some aggressive rebounds…….KO must have made him watch some video of Louisville…..

Thought Kromah was real good too and put the clamps on both Pepper and #25 (just forgot his name) depending on which one he was on. He also was aggressive going to the basket…..had a couple moments where he handled it carelessly but he was very good. Giffey was solid, missed a couple wide open 3's badly which now seems impossible……but he played solid D (over helped again first half and KO was in his grill allowing Cummings a 3) and rebounded well. Samuel had some very decent minutes, needs to slow down a little in order to not dance and travel but showed some good stuff……

I thought the difference was coming out of the early TO by KO they suddenly found their passion to play D, they were all over the place forcing bad shots, TO's and therefore the transition game was in full force and they were getting real good looks.

Had that lull in early 2nd half, got sloppy and made bad decisions while seemingly losing interest but all in all a solid effort minus a starter against a team who has played some very good teams tough. RU Saturday keep it going and keep rebounding the ball - +20 WOW

Reaction Score
If I ever open my own amusement park, I'm going to call the roller coaster the DeAndre.
And while you're at it, call the games of chance for big stuffed animals the "Cuse" games, because you get close, win a few small prizes, but never seem to win the big prize.
Call the food concession stands the Stuart because they will rip you off.
Call the wooden rails on either side of the rider waiting areas to get on the rides the Cals, because they're hopelessly filthy.
Call visiting 3rd grade classes "Tar Heels" to properly reflect their reading level.

And of course, without doubt, call the bathrooms "Dookies," for obvious reasons.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
kromah has really become crucial to this team... love his defense and love his smarts... brimah looks very hesitant since the memphis game when it comes to guarding the basket and he still doesnt step up on the switch he leaves them open... things to work on which he will

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Was that the worst defensive team we have played this year? I don't think TV did justice to how bad defensively Temple really is. In the XL, they looked terrible. They weren't contesting shots half the time, and even when they challenged, the fundamentals were terrible. I could have taken these guys baseline with my off hand they were leaving it so wide open. Daniels hit one 3 where he was so open he could have taken 3 shots before the defense would have gotten to him.

How did Temple get this bad?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Was that the worst defensive team we have played this year? I don't think TV did justice to how bad defensively Temple really is. In the XL, they looked terrible. They weren't contesting shots half the time, and even when they challenged, the fundamentals were terrible. I could have taken these guys baseline with my off hand they were leaving it so wide open. Daniels hit one 3 where he was so open he could have taken 3 shots before the defense would have gotten to him.

They can't use the nocturnal excuse.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Was that the worst defensive team we have played this year? I don't think TV did justice to how bad defensively Temple really is. In the XL, they looked terrible. They weren't contesting shots half the time, and even when they challenged, the fundamentals were terrible. I could have taken these guys baseline with my off hand they were leaving it so wide open. Daniels hit one 3 where he was so open he could have taken 3 shots before the defense would have gotten to him. How did Temple get this bad?

I suppose you think helps your "the AAC is going to murder the athletic department" theory to try and plant seeds like this, but it's way too transparent to work. Try harder.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Temple was lousy, but UConn played pretty well. If we hit our threes, especially early, the Huskies are a good team. If we don't we struggle. That's pretty much the story for this team. Cold as ice against Stanford and for a long stretch against Louisville and SMU. Didn't see the Houston game, but I imagine it was the case there as well. When we take 3's and miss, it creates long rebounds and fast breaks for the opposition. When we hit a few, it opens up some opportunities to get to the basket.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Temple was lousy, but UConn played pretty well. If we hit our threes, especially early, the Huskies are a good team. If we don't we struggle. That's pretty much the story for this team. Cold as ice against Stanford and for a long stretch against Louisville and SMU. Didn't see the Houston game, but I imagine it was the case there as well. When we take 3's and miss, it creates long rebounds and fast breaks for the opposition. When we hit a few, it opens up some opportunities to get to the basket.

Having been at the Stanford game, all I can say is it isn't that the team was cold, it was that they had zero movement against the zone in the 2nd half and were taking pretty much nothing but forced shots. They came very close to zero decent possessions the 2nd half. I didn't see the Houston game, but I'd wager the first half there and the second half vs. Stanford were the 2 worst halves they've played by a long shot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Huskies took it to Temple early and often by mainly making 3's in bunches………really had them reeling and Bazz was terrific………15 in only 12 minutes and then DD took over. These 2 were out of their minds good tonight and DD had some aggressive rebounds…….KO must have made him watch some video of Louisville…..

Thought Kromah was real good too and put the clamps on both Pepper and #25 (just forgot his name) depending on which one he was on. He also was aggressive going to the basket…..had a couple moments where he handled it carelessly but he was very good. Giffey was solid, missed a couple wide open 3's badly which now seems impossible……but he played solid D (over helped again first half and KO was in his grill allowing Cummings a 3) and rebounded well. Samuel had some very decent minutes, needs to slow down a little in order to not dance and travel but showed some good stuff……

I thought the difference was coming out of the early TO by KO they suddenly found their passion to play D, they were all over the place forcing bad shots, TO's and therefore the transition game was in full force and they were getting real good looks.

Had that lull in early 2nd half, got sloppy and made bad decisions while seemingly losing interest but all in all a solid effort minus a starter against a team who has played some very good teams tough. RU Saturday keep it going and keep rebounding the ball - +20 WOW

Ollie growing as a coach. Giffey's biggest hole on defense is helping when help isn't needed. He got burned again and Ollie didn't waste any time correcting it.

Samuels looked strong going to the basket. He had two straight plays where you could see he isn't used to playing at D1 speed. Both times there was a 50/50 ball and Samuels had his feet firmly planted as he reached for the ball. Both times the Temple playing moved his feet and got to the ball first. Very correctable by showing film. As a D1 PG you have to constantly move towards the ball to receive it and you have to move your feet. Otherwise it's a steal and an uncontested layup.

Temple is a very bad team. No outside shooting, no post presence, no perimeter D and nothing underneath.

Reaction Score
Lee is actually a very good low post guy but zero rebounds is unacceptable for a guy averaging just under 10 a game……..the bigs had no clue when to help or move their feet to do so…….it was painful to watch. I am sure a solid coach like Dunphy is losing hair as we speak!

Reaction Score

Totally agree. I was at the game last night. I cannot remember one UCONN 3 pointer that was challenged at all by Temple. You can appreciate the Louisville defense more by having games back to back with a suffocating defense and a open air defense. Temple is very athletic which shows on the offense but did not translate on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Idk if it is just me, but I feel like Amida mentally checks out somewhat after picking up 1-2 quick fouls and loses his aggressiveness the rest of the game

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Idk if it is just me, but I feel like Amida mentally checks out somewhat after picking up 1-2 quick fouls and loses his aggressiveness the rest of the game
This just started. He's beginning to think about his play, trying to decide when to go up for a block, when to stay on his feet, when to turn for a rebound and so on. Before it was just raw instinct. It's a normal transition for a player who had little or no coaching entering college to one who is getting solid coaching.

Something clicked for him in the UCF game. Probably 95% of his moves were optimum defensively and offensively. He had internalized what the coaches had taught him applied that teaching without hesitation. It's difficult to get that first performance under one's belt. It's even more difficult to repeat it and be consistent at it.

I just didn't think he would get that first performance for another season or two and I was shocked how incredible it was. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This just started. He's beginning to think about his play, trying to decide when to go up for a block, when to stay on his feet, when to turn for a rebound and so on. Before it was just raw instinct. It's a normal transition for a player who had little or no coaching entering college to one who is getting solid coaching.

Something clicked for him in the UCF game. Probably 95% of his moves were optimum defensively and offensively. He had internalized what the coaches had taught him applied that teaching with hesitation. It's difficult to get that first performance under one's belt. It's even more difficult to repeat it and be consistent at it.

I just didn't think he would get that first performance for another season or two and I was shocked how incredible it was. It will be interesting to see how he develops.
I couldn't have said that any better myself. He is so intriguing not only because of his potential but of his decision making/thinking and just progress of becoming a basketball player and not an athlete

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score

Something clicked for him in the UCF game. Probably 95% of his moves were optimum defensively and offensively. He had internalized what the coaches had taught him applied that teaching without hesitation. It's difficult to get that first performance under one's belt. It's even more difficult to repeat it and be consistent at it.

Thinking is really good in the long run, but can cost you big in terms of making the split second decisions that separate great plays from terrible ones. I coach competitive skiing and you see it all the time when kids start thinking about their mechanics so much that they forget how to ski. The key I've found is that after drilling is to try and create a little space from what you're doing and when you come back to the sport, muscle memory sets in. I predict that Brimah will continue to improve this year, but will be a monster next year with an offseason to digest all that he's learned so far.

Reaction Score
Temple was bad, but UCONN did what it's supposed to do " Step on their neck".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom