Thon Maker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thon Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He reminds me of Ajou Deng when he was in high school - a highly skilled 6' 10" kid. Despite his talent Deng did shockingly poorly in college, partly due to foot injuries and partly due to an inability or unwillingness to put on strength and bang inside.

But, as you say, extraordinary talent. Barring injury Maker should be a great one.
He reminds you of Ajou Deng? WTF?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He reminds me of Ajou Deng when he was in high school - a highly skilled 6' 10" kid. Despite his talent Deng did shockingly poorly in college, partly due to foot injuries and partly due to an inability or unwillingness to put on strength and bang inside.

But, as you say, extraordinary talent. Barring injury Maker should be a great one.

As I recall, ajou hit Milford Academy when he was almost 19 and was 20 or 21 when he got to uconn. Maybe he was doing things like that at 16 but I don't know. The fact that Maker is only 16 is what makes me think he will develop into an amazing talent.

Reaction Score
Anybody just hear C-Webb praising Ollie during the Rockets-Blazers game? That type of stuff does wonders in recruitment's like these.

missed it, what did he say? he must have had to have brought that up out of the blue because it seems like the officiating has been dominating the convo the past few minutes.

Reaction Score
missed it, what did he say? he must have had to have brought that up out of the blue because it seems like the officiating has been dominating the convo the past few minutes.

It was in reference to Patrick Beverly, something along the lines of him being somebody you don't want to let down because of their passion and energy. He cited Kevin Ollie, Tim Hardaway, and one other guy who I'm forgetting as similar players.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
As I recall, ajou hit Milford Academy when he was almost 19 and was 20 or 21 when he got to uconn. Maybe he was doing things like that at 16 but I don't know. The fact that Maker is only 16 is what makes me think he will develop into an amazing talent.

He was at St. Thomas More as I watched him play numerous times. Yes I thought he was the second coming as did a number of analyst at the time. He was older but had a ton skill, but didn't have the passion.

Maker looks great and looks like a KD clone

pj

Reaction Score
Like Maker, Deng had skills you never see from a big guy, and was a shot blocking machine. That's the parallel. But Deng wanted to actually play a perimeter position and that's not feasible at a high level for someone so tall, his dribbles are too long. Deng, between injuries and lack of passion for the game and unwillingness to strength train and bang inside, killed his potential. Maker will succeed, to be so good so young he clearly has passion, and he's also 2" taller than Deng and possibly still growing. I wasn't making a prediction that their careers would be similar, only pointing out that from film I've seen a guy just like this before - I saw Deng play several times in high school and it was like this.

Reaction Score
So what would a 2015 UCONN Huskies squad look like?

Purvis JR (Late 1st Round Pick)
Samuel JR
Hamilton SO (1st Round Pick)
Maker FR (Lottery Pick)
Brimah JR (Lottery Pick)

with
Cassell Jr. SO
Jackson FR
Ali FR
Lubin SO
Facey JR
Nolan SR

This is the team that puts DUKE in the rear view, and ties UNC in NC's

Reaction Score

Samuel JR
Maker FR (Lottery Pick)
Brimah JR (Lottery Pick)

with
Cassell Jr. SO
Jackson FR
Ali FR
Lubin SO
Facey JR
Nolan SR

Reaction Score

Samuel JR
Maker FR (Lottery Pick)
Brimah JR (Lottery Pick)

with
Cassell Jr. SO
Jackson FR
Ali FR
Lubin SO
Facey JR
Nolan SR

Isn't Maker class of 2016?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He looks like a stud, but of all people, we should have our guard up when it comes to 7-foot "do it all" players. Remember the "best player" on our 1999 team?

Maker shoots under 30% from 3. He looks to have a nice stroke but he's not Kevin Durant.

All that said, just like BearJWS, I would also give my left coconut to get him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was at St. Thomas More as I watched him play numerous times. Yes I thought he was the second coming as did a number of analyst at the time. He was older but had a ton skill, but didn't have the passion.

Ajou was incredible at T-More. He was at the top of their press, all arms and legs, he scored in the post, he hit 3's, he filled the lane on the break and literally blocked anything that was near him; against good competition too. I hung out w/ him a few times as my math teacher at the time in HS was his SAT tutor and then again at UConn. Such a nice guy but he was just too timid to succeed.

Reaction Score
So his guardian put UConn on his list of schools (how long?) but he hasn't mentioned UConn yet. In the time he took to read about his updated list we have him re-classifying, winning a National Championship and being a lottery pick in the draft. What? No chance he can he sit with Delany and get us in the B1G during his stay too?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Dirk Nowitzki

In fairness, Dirk is a exceptional. He's one of the top guys to ever play at this point, given his size and skillset.

Who knows what will happen with Thon, but at 16, he's got time on his side.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
His skill set would be wild if he were even like 6'8 nevermind 7'1... craziness

Reaction Score
So his guardian put UConn on his list of schools (how long?) but he hasn't mentioned UConn yet. In the time he took to read about his updated list we have him re-classifying, winning a National Championship and being a lottery pick in the draft. What? No chance he can he sit with Delany and get us in the B1G during his stay too?
Not just a NC, but finishing off the three peat.

Reaction Score

Old Ajou video

HTML:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KQTCfoZBT0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaction Score
one hell of a carry from Ajou!!! I'm sure it's been said before, but I loved Ajou..I really felt like Calhoun and Ajou just didn't mesh for whatever reason. I think there was too much pressure on Ajou and he couldn't handle it. I always thought he was going to be a beast. He showed flashes but was not equipped for the short hook. Similar with Majok, but his sophomore year was actually fairly productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom