Thon Maker | The Boneyard

Thon Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember that video that caused everyone to salivate over having him in a UConn uniform? Well it looks like UConn has contacted his guardian. I'm not sure how much but his guardian listed UConn as one of the schools recruiting Thon this morning.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd love this kid. So much height and so many nick name possibilities.

Thank you for winning that Ship KO....now go reap the rewards!

Reaction Score
Yeah - I posted that. First useful post. Love his game; although, someone did mention he's one and done. Unless the NBA 20 yr old rule comes into play - would love this monster for 2 years.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This could be a kid to move us up a notch in the recruiting world. Not that I think it's gonna happen, but it would be cool to get a Top 1-3 rated recruit (again).

Reaction Score
I'd give my left Coconut for a player like Maker. His freaky length, freaky skill & freaky athleticism is... well, just freaky all around! He's like a combination of Garnett & Durant. He's so young, skilled & would be the #1 draft pick for the next 4 years if he were eligible. Can't say I've ever seen a player like him before, so good, so young. He's someone who will probably be an NBA MVP multiple times. These kinds of players never come to UConn but it would be a dream to have him. Sigh. I'm trying to think of UConn's most highly skilled big men like that? Donyell or Uncle Cliffy? While great players, they were nothing like Maker. Pipe dream...

pj

Reaction Score
I'd give my left Coconut for a player like Maker. His freaky length, freaky skill & freaky athleticism is... well, just freaky all around! He's like a combination of Garnett & Durant. He's so young, skilled & would be the #1 draft pick for the next 4 years if he were eligible. Can't say I've ever seen a player like him before, so good, so young. He's someone who will probably be an NBA MVP multiple times. These kinds of players never come to UConn but it would be a dream to have him. Sigh. I'm trying to think of UConn's most highly skilled big men like that? Donyell or Uncle Cliffy? While great players, they were nothing like Maker. Pipe dream...

Careful. Save some coconuts. I have a feeling we're going to be in on a lot of top recruits over the next 20 years.

Just like that guy with the Willey Cauley-Stein tattoo should have made it smaller, to leave room for other recruits. Short-sighted thinking.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/2/12/5404492/thon-maker-mixtape-highlights-chicago

Would love to have him, but let's not anoint him as a hall of famer just yet.
The number of 16 year old 7 footers that can do those things is virtually zero. He may not be a hall of famer but his skill set, size and athletic ability is shocking. Keep in mind, he still has two years to mature before college. He definitely has all the tools to be frightening if he has even a smidgen of a work ethic.

Reaction Score
Wow...that video is pretty shocking.

I do think that KO is going to be able to pull in some top recruits going forward. Getting Maker would be a nice start.

Reaction Score
He emulates kd, Ollie's relationship with kd is well noted . This kid is totally Anthony Davis level or more as a prospect .

Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/2/12/5404492/thon-maker-mixtape-highlights-chicago

Would love to have him, but let's not anoint him as a hall of famer just yet.

Yeah, I've seen recruiting analysts say that those plays aren't at all indicative of what he does normally in games. Obviously it's a highlight tape, so the best plays are going to be cherry picked and put on there.

Still, he's a consensus top 5 player, so people love his potential, and with good reason.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've seen recruiting analysts say that those plays aren't at all indicative of what he does normally in games. Obviously it's a highlight tape, so the best plays are going to be cherry picked and put on there.

Still, he's a consensus top 5 player, so people love his potential, and with good reason.

Agreed on all accounts. Those highlight videos while exciting to watch are usually not indicative of what they really are. He's definitely a wonderful prospects, but people in this thread have already said he's the next KD and he will win multiple MVPs. I have no idea how reputable the "scout" is in that article, but he likens Maker more to Isiah Austin; a solid prospect with some unique talent, but far from a future superstar.

pj

Reaction Score
The number of 16 year old 7 footers that can do those things is virtually zero. He may not be a hall of famer but his skill set, size and athletic ability is shocking. Keep in mind, he still has two years to mature before college. He definitely has all the tools to be frightening if he has even a smidgen of a work ethic.

He reminds me of Ajou Deng when he was in high school - a highly skilled 6' 10" kid. Despite his talent Deng did shockingly poorly in college, partly due to foot injuries and partly due to an inability or unwillingness to put on strength and bang inside.

But, as you say, extraordinary talent. Barring injury Maker should be a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom