This Week, we need the Students | The Boneyard

This Week, we need the Students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The student body started the P era very enthusiastically last year but, like the rest of us, seems worn down by the last two seasons. But you know what -- screw it. This is your team, not my team. These are your classmates and friends being honored as seniors, and playing to give you a chance to go to a bowl game (or at least watch one on TV). And, to be blunt, Cincy is a better, more balanced team than we are.

It's a 3:30 start. You don't need to get up at "0 dark hundred hours" to get to the Rent on time. You don't need to be worried about missing your evening party if you come. And you even have the ability to partake in a libation or two before showing up.

This game needs to be won on emotion. The team, the last few weeks, struggles at time but it's not because they are not trying their hardest. The students need to spark this team, and the students need to get the rest of the crowd going, on Saturday afternoon. There is no post season basketball to be saving your energy for. Make this your chance to impact a game and a season.

Reaction Score
you're preaching to the choir

Fine, so I Spacklered for a moment. But our D is banged up, and may be a little emotionally drained from Saturday's effort, and the student sections can fire up the crowd in a way that older diehards spread thoughout the stadium can't.

U

UConn9604

I was thinking the same thing -- we need an epic performance from the student section, like the Pitt game in '04 or the WVU game in 2010.

It helps that this game is being played at home while the students are on campus (rather than last weekend, when they were all at home for Thanksgiving).

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
i'm going and bringing a bunch of my friends. hopefully a lot of students show up and stay the whole time.

Reaction Score
i'm going and bringing a bunch of my friends. hopefully a lot of students show up and stay the whole time.

Students, stay the whole time... lol. They are clearly not going to do that unless they give away an ipad for a free semester after the final whistle. Even then only a few hundred will be there at the end. 90% of the student body thinks a football game is only 3 quarters long.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Students, stay the whole time... lol. They are clearly not going to do that unless they give away an ipad for a free semester after the final whistle. Even then only a few hundred will be there at the end. 90% of the student body thinks a football game is only 3 quarters long.
the pitt game was the worst. me and like six people i was with made up more than half of the student section near the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this year is the worst I can remember in terms of students leaving early. There really is a mass exodus at the end of the 3rd quarter. Maybe somebody at the daily campus could write an article this week about the importance of crowd noise from the student section on the outcome of a football game. That Pitt game in 04 was probably the most intense it has ever been in the student section. I wish every game was like that.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing -- we need an epic performance from the student section, like the Pitt game in '04 or the WVU game in 2010.

It helps that this game is being played at home while the students are on campus (rather than last weekend, when they were all at home for Thanksgiving).

It always aggravated me that it seems like every year our senior day would be the Saturday after thanksgiving when students are not on campus.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this year is the worst I can remember in terms of students leaving early. There really is a mass exodus at the end of the 3rd quarter. Maybe somebody at the daily campus could write an article this week about the importance of crowd noise from the student section on the outcome of a football game. That Pitt game in 04 was probably the most intense it has ever been in the student section. I wish every game was like that.

Last month's Pitt game was unusual only in that there were more security guards to keep students from running onto the field after the game than there were students.

Pitt in '04 was a great student crowd. (I still hear the students chanting "Tyler King" as he was carted of) but there have been others. USF in '07. Pitt and WVU in '10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom