This team is poorly coached. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This team is poorly coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No - poor execution by player.
The coach is a Broyles Award winner - he knows how to coach. Completely explained the offsides rule and the kid failed to execute properly.

He then told the freshman he loves him and he cares for him and reminded him that he was taught not to be offsides on a kickoff - asked him to pretty please not do it again.

It's the coaches responsibility to make that a point of emphasis. It is absolutely a reflection of coaching. That off sides wasn't technique or execution. He didn't miss a block or get overpowered. It's a lack of focus. A mental error. It lies squarely with the coach.

He should have been TAUGHT not to run offside well before game five. If he was he wouldn't have run off sides. Obviously the kids were not drilled well enough. The point was not made well enough.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
True but if a freshman is off sides on the kick off, isn't that a product of coaching?

Really? That's ridiculous. No. It's a product of a kid having his foot land about 3 inches too far. Yeah, that's Diaco's fault. Good grief. It's amazing it was called or that the ref saw it live. It wasn't a stride, or a step or even a foot, it was about 2-3 inches.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It's the coaches responsibility to make that a point of emphasis. It is absolutely a reflection of coaching. That off sides wasn't technique or execution. He didn't miss a block or get overpowered. It's a lack of focus. A mental error. It lies squarely with the coach.

He should have been TAUGHT not to run offside well before game five. If he was he wouldn't have run off sides. Obviously the kids were not drilled well enough. The point was not made well enough.

Even if the coaches taught/told him 100 times not to go offsides on a kickoff, which I think we would agree is enough drilling and that the point was made clear, and the player lost focus (for whatever reason) and went offsides anyways, that is coaching?
I would think having a Broyles Award winning coach all of our players have been drilled enough on all aspects of the game of football - they dont just give those awards away, you have to earn them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So let me get this straight. No 18 year old kid who has been taught not to do a thing has ever done it before. That's your premise? That once the knowledge is imparted, all execution will thereafter always be perfect? Or are you saying that if Nick Saban had told him not to go offsides it would have sunk in better? Or are you saying something even more stupid, that somehow Diaco didn't actually already teach them all not to go offsides on the kickoff? That he just forgot it...oops, meant to bring that up and missed it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If only Palatine was coach, we'd be 5-0. :)

Its just schemes. And telling the kids not to make mistakes.

I can't believe Diaco hasn't told the kids to stop making mistakes. :)

Reaction Score
Guessing at the nature of the systematic dysfunction is increasingly less clear to me. All I can observe is that Weist got them producing the last 3 games. So, what's different? Clearly Weist was a different type of no nonsense disciplinarian. Diaco is a new ager, positive vibes guy. It's clear that discipline is not taking hold on the field. Who the flock knows anymore.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Guessing at the nature of the systematic dysfunction is increasingly less clear to me. All I can observe is that Weist got them producing the last 3 games. So, what's different? Clearly Weist was a different type of no nonsense disciplinarian. Diaco is a new ager, positive vibes guy. It's clear that discipline is not taking hold on the field. Who the flock knows anymore.

There is NO need for discipline when there is love, care and a participation trophy for everyone - that overcomes all. You dont even need to be accountable. Its ok - we know you tried and we will help you be better.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There is NO need for discipline when there is love, care and a participation trophy for everyone - that overcomes all. You dont even need to be accountable. Its ok - we know you tried and we will help you be better.

You are an odd dude. You have a HFD maniacal posting approach.

So what's your story? You have 672 posts...but your posting the last couple weeks makes me think you should have a lot more posts. Did you migrate from a different handle? Or does the current play of this team just bring out the posting fiend in you?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You are an odd dude. You have a HFD maniacal posting approach.

So what's your story? You have 672 posts...but your posting the last couple weeks makes me think you should have a lot more posts. Did you migrate from a different handle? Or does the current play of this team just bring out the posting fiend in you?

Is that a compliment?

:)

My story or my post about love and care?
The love and care post is straight from Bob Diaco - his response.

My story -

Born and Raised in CT
USMC 5 years
Back to CT in 1998
Have Wife, Kids, Dogs, Cats, Fish
Project Manager
Volunteer, Church Goer
8th year as Season Ticket holder Section 130
Oh - Boneyard story - I did migrate from a different handle - Karl Hobbs - I dont remember why it was shut down but it was for nothing I posted (Before he joined staff at UConn) - more because of the handle name itself if I remember correctly and definetly not banned for anything I posted but Temery could tell you, but then I could not access account anymore as email address had changed - but I wasnt that vocal then as I am now and it was a while back.

And yes - I didnt feel the need to post alot under the Randy years - that was smooth sailing but as the team has slipped into disarray I am finding it harder and harder to not say anything as I care about UConn FB.

I pretty much stopped posting about football knowledge (X's and O's) - its useless on this board - and I would be happy to carry the torch in the absence of HFD - and as I get called out the more maniacal I become.

Thanks for asking,

GO TEAM!!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is that a compliment?

:)

My story or my post about love and care?
The love and care post is straight from Bob Diaco - his response.

My story -

Born and Raised in CT
USMC 5 years
Back to CT in 1998
Have Wife, Kids, Dogs, Cats, Fish
Project Manager
Volunteer, Church Goer
8th year as Season Ticket holder Section 130
Oh - Boneyard story - I did migrate from a different handle - Karl Hobbs - I dont remember why it was shut down but it was for nothing I posted (Before he joined staff at UConn) - more because of the handle name itself if I remember correctly and definetly not banned for anything I posted but Temery could tell you, but then I could not access account anymore as email address had changed - but I wasnt that vocal then as I am now and it was a while back.

And yes - I didnt feel the need to post alot under the Randy years - that was smooth sailing but as the team has slipped into disarray I am finding it harder and harder to not say anything as I care about UConn FB.

I pretty much stopped posting about football knowledge (X's and O's) - its useless on this board - and I would be happy to carry the torch in the absence of HFD - and as I get called out the more maniacal I become.

Thanks for asking,

GO TEAM!!

Ah...ok..thanks for sharing...makes sense. I was just curious.

Reaction Score
Really? That's ridiculous. No. It's a product of a kid having his foot land about 3 inches too far. Yeah, that's Diaco's fault. Good grief. It's amazing it was called or that the ref saw it live. It wasn't a stride, or a step or even a foot, it was about 2-3 inches.

So that's not coached? The kids are just sent out there with no preparation? They are told it's okay for their toe to over the line. That is EXACTLY the kind of detail Diaco keeps saying that he is teaching.
The offside on the KO is totally unexcusable and should NEVER happen and it's the coaches responsibility to make sure it NEVER happens. Period the end.

Reaction Score

This team has a whole host of problems. It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that we just totally lack talent to play at the D1A level at many positions. The previous staff pretty much whiffed at every turn. But I also think there is a problem with the coaching staff, in that they really don't seem to know what to do to turn things around. Off side penalties on the kickoff aren't a talent issue. Those are a discipline issue. Turning the football on the first series 5 straight times isn't totally a talent issue. Mostly it is mental...guys not securing the football, not putting the football where only our guy can catch it.

Let's face facts, too. Our quarterback isn't very good. I'm in agreement that he has regressed over his career here. And some linemen have too, for reasons I don't quite get. We got a serviceable but not outstanding play out of Gifford last year. This year he has regressed tremendously. this year he can't seem to hit a stationary object. And I don't really thin the coaching staff has been that good on the offensive side of the ball either. One thing that seems pretty clear to me is that going forward they have little if any interest in a pro set quarterback. I've sensed that for a while. I think its become clear with the treatment of Boyle and the unwillingness even early to name Cochran the clear full time #1. This staff has also taken the position that it is more important to see young guys on the field than it is to win games. We see liberal substitutions on the offensive line, which does nothing to build unit cohesion which is so important, and we see a lack of commitment to any one running back, and lack of commitment to even as fundamental position as quarterback.

Reaction Score
The coaching has been unimpressive. But at this level, if our players have to be reminded before every kick off not to run past that line until the ball is kicked is, then we are fahked for the next 3-4 years.

If only we had coaches who taught our guys not to make mistakes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure why, but I'll try

IF .............

Whitmer doesn't make a piss poor throw on 1st possession;
Ref swallows his whistle and doesn't call offsides on a play that could be called on majority of kickoffs

The team gets on a roll and who knows what happens next. Look at last year's win. We got our ass kicked for 2+ quarters by Temple. But Willman and Smallwood make outstanding plays and all of the sudden the kids start thinking, why not. And while it takes them 7 plays to score from the 1, they come back and win. and they take that momentum to the next game and the next. The Rutgers win was impressive; the Memphis ... let's be honest, those kids never wanted to get off the bus or leave their warm locker room. But the roll happened. Why? Because we had talent we didn't know we had the first 9 games? None of the players changed - just good ole mo. This team could get on a roll. At this point, they are the gang that can't shoot straight. But a few breaks, a win, and who knows. They're not going bowling, but they can win a few games. And next year who will we miss aside from Byron and Geremy?

I simply refuse to join the end is near crowd. What we saw with the prior regime was a dismantling of a culture, talent and on field results. I see a building back up. We're still at the bottom. I am more comfortable to be heading back up then careening down.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun commented to President Herbst that he could "fix a bad basketball team with two good guards, but in football there are a lot more pieces to the puzzle". After observing our last loss, he told her that it's gonna take some time to turn around the program. He loves and knows football, and she believes in his perspective!

Reaction Score
So that's not coached? The kids are just sent out there with no preparation? They are told it's okay for their toe to over the line. That is EXACTLY the kind of detail Diaco keeps saying that he is teaching.
The offside on the KO is totally unexcusable and should NEVER happen and it's the coaches responsibility to make sure it NEVER happens. Period the end.
Wonder if any type of free throw lane violations occurred during Calhoun's tenure. Kids are taught that stuff since pewee. The kid screwed up.

Reaction Score
The kid screwed up.
I always Tivo a bunch of games--college and pro---and on looking back with my slo-mo feature many kickoffs display a reason for a ref to call offsides. There are plenty of simultaneous foot on line to foot on ball situations. but it's almost never called offsides. This year (remember when BYU had it called twice in succession) the college refs are looking harder for it. That was an unlucky confluence of weird events last Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom