this place does not look like the home of the defending national champ | The Boneyard

this place does not look like the home of the defending national champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it does not look like a group of fans who's team has brought home two national titles in 4 years, 3 final four appearances in six years, and the most national titles in the last 16 years, losing to the ENTIRE ACC conference by a 5-4 margin in that time frame.

it does not look like a bunch of fans that have witnessed late success followed by late success followed by late success year after year after year after year

it does not look like a bunch of fans who have watched mediocre players morph into studs (or at least awesome roll players) in the span of a few months time and time and time again

you would think some of them might scale it back just a tad just because they've been proven wrong in March so many damn times. Some evidently possess very short memories

too many people act like they're fans of BC or Rutgers or St John's

too many hate far too much

they say experience is the world's greatest teacher, but I don't think that's true around here (then again, maybe I'm the one not learning any lessons by expecting different behavior)

GREAT GAME HUSKIES, your heart (something lacking in some places) put you in position to win. THANK YOU

Reaction Score
if you're a fan you should understand how critical our base can be.... we've seen excellence many times, so when we know these guys are capable of much better its frustrating

strange post, trying to rile up troops as though you're calhoun and we're players?? Relax chief, find some real life way to be a hero if thats what you're after

Reaction Score
it does not look like a group of fans who's team has brought home two national titles in 4 years, 3 final four appearances in six years, and the most national titles in the last 16 years, losing to the ENTIRE ACC conference by a 5-4 margin in that time frame.

it does not look like a bunch of fans that have witnessed late success followed by late success followed by late success year after year after year after year

it does not look like a bunch of fans who have watched mediocre players morph into studs (or at least awesome roll players) in the span of a few months time and time and time again

you would think some of them might scale it back just a tad just because they've been proven wrong in March so many damn times. Some evidently possess very short memories

they say experience is the world's greatest teacher, but I don't think that's true around here (then again, maybe I'm the one not learning any lessons by expecting different behavior)

GREAT GAME HUSKIES, your heart (something lacking in some places) put you in position to win. THANK YOU

The same things are said every year.

They were said in 2011 and 2014 too.

Of course, they were also said in 201o and 2012 and 2013.

They're just said every year regardless.

Reaction Score
if you're a fan you should understand how critical our base can be.... we've seen excellence many times, so when we know these guys are capable of much better its frustrating

strange post, trying to rile up troops as though you're calhoun and we're players?? Relax chief, find some real life way to be a hero if thats what you're after

You missed his point.

He's saying that players at UConn grow and get better over the season.

We've seen excellence? People were dogging Deandre Daniels during the NCAA tourney last year! Imagine what it was like in early January.

willie99

Reaction Score

I'm not doing anything except expressing my own disappointment and maybe pickup the spirits of a few people by reminding them about where we come from

and I'm totally relaxed

Last edited:

willie99

Reaction Score
Dopey OP. There's been plenty of kumbaya threads since the game finished.

I like those threads, and the dopey part is not realizing I wasn't addressing everyone

Reaction Score
Thanks for the pep talk?

Defending national champs don't need moral victories. I think our track record of success has rightfully heightened our expectations as fans. I don't think it's hate, it's more disappointment. As UConn fans we shouldn't be happy with a 4-4 record. And as UConn fans we should be able to be honest with what we're seeing on the court. We don't live in a state of delusion like some other fan bases.

Based on what I've seen from watching the games closely this year, the talent shortage is real and I don't think it's critical to point that out. KO will maximize the effort and players will develop over the season, but that'll only get us so far.

At this point, I don't think it's a safe bet to think we'll cruise through the AAC, and without a marquee win, we're close to being on the outside looking in. Winning last year's title was great, but we should expect to compete every year.

Reaction Score

We're 4-4. We lost to Yale. We may yet become an very good team but we are starting from a long way back.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Softest post in awhile. 4-4 is pretty unacceptable thus far. Stupid play is at fault for 3-4 losses.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Our big men sat a good part of the game due to foul trouble. That's been happening in December/January for a more than a decade. Nothing new.

They played gritty against the #2. Nothing new.

We expect them to improve markedly in the coming couple of months. Nothing new.

The big difference, IMO, is that there's not another ranked team on the rest of the schedule because we're in a league with all the appeal of a used tampon. So this was basically UConn's last opportunity for a statement victory this season, even if it was unrealistic for this group, at this time, against that opponent.

That they lost while playing tough and at a size disadvantage most of the game is OK. We'll live with that. But there's simply no opportunity to make up ground the rest of the way like there's been in the past. So you should expect some disappointment.

willie99

Reaction Score
disappointment? I'm disappointed, I'm totally OK with disappointment. There are no moral victories for UConn, I expect to win against everybody.

I don't like the "we're going to the NIT" stuff, we can't do this or that as if problems are not correctable. This guy sucks, that guys sucks, our recruiting sucks, our bench sucks, our league sucks, we have no heart, we're stupid, we're going to be a mid major and god only knows all the other nonsense I've read around here.

I think we're going to continue to be one of the best programs in the country, both this year and into the future. I simply don't share the doom and gloom nonsense, and that's what I'm talking about. Not about somebody being disappointed we lost to dook or that we're 4-4, because I'm disappointed too

Reaction Score
I think we're going to continue to be one of the best programs in the country, both this year and into the future.

It's legitimate to question - given the landscape in college basketball - whether this is actually true or not. You are one of the biggest homers on this board, no question, to the point of delusion sometimes. Sometimes your blind optimism is as hard to read as the jackasses who join for the sole purpose of trolling with negativity. There's a difference between critiquing the team and the players and trolling, but it seems like anything short of "UConn is the best at everything" is off limits to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom