This is funny | The Boneyard

This is funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UMass head coach Molnar thinks we're worried about little ole Umass

http://gazettenet.com/2012/01/13/working-the-crowd-molnar-discusses-plans-moves

"UConn is very, very aware of us moving up to I-A. That's always been one of their biggest fears that the sleeping giant at UMass would decide to wake up one day and I think that time is here," he said. "We're ready to wake up and ready to take on our neighbors to the south."

Reaction Score
I don't blame the guy for trying to drum up a little interest in a rivalry. If I was him, I'd be doing exactly the same thing. I doubt Coach P is losing any sleep over it, but when you're the little guy, it's fun to ruffle a few feathers now and again.

Reaction Score
I'll say this......we have absolutely nothing to gain by beating UMass. It's the BCU argument they use to explain why they don't play us. Only in this instance, it's absolutely true.

Unlike the BCU cretins, I welcome the game against UMass. I hope we play them annually. No running and hiding like a little girl. Regional rivalries are needed.

Reaction Score
An annual game against UMASS would be fun, certainly much more interesting than Buffalo. They will eventually beat us and there will be alot of hand wringing but it will be worth the rivalry. The best part is it makes BCU more of an after thought. UMASS is indeed a small threat to us and a huge threat to BCU.

I fear the home opener next year will not be easy but it makes for a much better home opener than Fordham.

Reaction Score
"UConn is very, very aware of us moving up to I-A. That's always been one of their biggest fears that the sleeping giant at UMass would decide to wake up one day and I think that time is here," he said. "We're ready to wake up and ready to take on our neighbors to the south."

I'm also leary of that. Not really interested in a rivalry with them. Let's not aid them in gaining a toehold. UConn needs to focus down south and out west . . . that's where the college game is "being played" both past and present. Rather create a rivalry with Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina etc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is nothing to gain. There is no rivalry. Outside of the Marcus Camby years, there is nothing that separates UMass from from the Univ of Buffalo. If they join the ACC or B1G, then there will be a rivalry. This is not the same thing as BCU ducking the only other BCS school within 200 miles. It is regional school looking to join the MAC, that is within our own recruiting area. Buffalo was within FUCRE's recruiting areas of upstate NY and Canada.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
He's being smart and trying to draw interest.

That said, and I've stated this before, with conference re-alignment we need to establish UCONN football as THE PROGRAM in New England and northeast.....no ifs ands or buts.....

These guys want to play in this arena that's fine. But, this is the big time and a lot is at stake. Nothing should be left in doubt in these games (Cuse, BC, UMass, Temple). If you have the chance to hang 60 on your opponent you it. Let fans like the Orange cry about it. Somebody will emerge as the big dog and I fully expect it to be my Huskies.

Reaction Score
Good for him. He's doing what he should be doing (IMO) in pumping up his program. I hope we play them annually as our OOC game that is usually filled with a MAC school as opposed to UB, WMU, Ohio, Akron, Temple, etc... It is similar to Cinci playing Miami (OH) annually.

FBCU

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm fine with playing umass every year as the opening game at the rent. no other mac teams should be on the future schedule though including temple/buff/directional michigan. no games at the razor for now. 10 years from now we can revisit that policy if umass builds a nice program, were in a different conf situation and bcu drops football.

Reaction Score
UMass actually leads the series head to head over UConn 36-33-2. We've got work to do.

I welcome UMass. Let the battles begin at this level of football. I'm expecting our 2012 team with Don Brown coaching defense, to do the same thing to UMass in 2012, that a 1999 UMass team, with Don Brown coaching defense, did to UConn in 1999.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's why I hate UMass. They feel the need to take shots at UConn to make themselves feel big-time. Not just the Squid, but Whipple did it too. The fact remains that in the greatest season in UMass history, they lost to UConn twice. I think they are a bunch of shitlips.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I love it, two regional large public schools going at it. Great for both fanbases.

All that talk reminds me of Rex Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I never understood why BCU felt threatened by us. I believe that competition encourages excellence. If in fact the worst thing that UMASS football can do to us is raise the profile of college football in New England then I hope they bring it.

I get what their coach is doing. College sports is still a regional sport. It's good to have a new neighbor.

Reaction Score
Makes sense for them to target us since we are actually much closer to them than BC is and the yare a large public school.

They have a shot to be a decent 1A school, but highly unlikley that they take over for BC since they are almost 2 hours from Boston and even BC doesn't capture Boston or MA for that matter. The difference between UConn going after BC and UMass coming after UConn is funding. UConn at the time had a blank checkbook to get football on the map and a national brand through Hoops. In the late nineties the economy was good, we had UConn 2000 and a state tha twas not severly in the red from a budget stand point. UMass will have a very tough time getting funds which will make the rise in football take much longer. We all know that recruits like facilities and UMass will not be a true rival until they get on the same level. I am sure they will compete on the field, may get a targeted recruit over us and could beat us in an off year like they have competed with pretty good BC teams in the past. They will use the UConn blueprint for their rise to 1A, but with 25% of the budget.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I like this guy Molnar's spunk...and that's about it.

This guy must like parking
In handicapped spaces
While handicapped people
Make handicapped faces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads