This can't be true?! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

This can't be true?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When it comes to college sports play however, it is primarily football, not basketball, that drives the money train for leagues looking for potential members to their league and to have them make more money.. Had Uconn won these titles in football, they could write their ticket to any league in the country. This is of course no great revelation to you, of course. It is not lost that the rumored interest in Memphis and Cincy by the B12 are with 2 schools left behind by the P5 that are currently at or near the top of the AAC in football.. You should be able to connect the dots to that, and understand that one's success in basketball ( as great as it has been ) is not what is going to someday have the P5 leagues sit up and take notice at what is happening at Uconn.

Memphis was at the BOTTOM of the league in football just last year.

If you are making invites based on 1 football season than the people responsible for realignment should be locked away in an institution.

Reaction Score
Memphis was at the BOTTOM of the league in football just last year.

If you are making invites based on 1 football season than the people responsible for realignment should be locked away in an institution.
... and the rumor that the B12 might have their sights set on Memphis for a potential invite was not made last year either. Yes, timing is always a factor.

Also, I would again caution Uconn fans not to overreact to rumors, speculation. So much that passes for knowledge these days turns out in the end to be sheer nonsense and/ or ignorance.

Words to live by : " believe it when you see it . And when you see it, check your glasses, to see if you saw it right. Then take 1 hour to try and make sense of what you saw, before commenting on what you saw. And if you only heard it, don't believe any of it. "

if you follow this advice, 90% of the time, you'll rarely go wrong, never form the wrong impressions, never make the wrong assessments, never jump to conclusions, etc. Run a business this way, make financial decisions this way, and you'll make money and do ok

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It is an interesting rumor - it would surprise me, but not completely shock me. It's at least in the plausible category (unlike those old rumors of the Big 12 going after Florida State). The threshold question for me is whether the Big 12 wants to expand at all in the first place.

To be sure, football still does matter here. You have to look at the whole football-related picture just like Rutgers. Rutgers certainly doesn't have a great on-the-field football history. However, the state of New Jersey was the largest non-Sun Belt/Southern football recruiting base (which, along with TV markets, is what commissioners like Jim Delany is really referring to when they talk about "demographics") that wasn't already in the Big Ten. #2 on that list was the state of Maryland. Those certainly weren't the ONLY factors involved (as the TV markets were the number one consideration for the B1G), but they were big ones that university presidents and ADs have actually been very open about. So, it was still a football-driven expansion for the Big Ten even if marquee football programs weren't necessarily added.

In the same vein, the Memphis area is also one of the strongest per capita football recruiting regions in the country. In fact, both Memphis and Cincinnati would instantly be the two best football recruiting areas in the Big 12 outside of the state of Texas.

At the same time, Memphis has shown to be at least football *competent* this year. Any school with a great hoops fan base (which includes UConn, Memphis, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, etc.) combined with competent football becomes more intriguing in conference realignment. The football program just can't be down in the dumps horrific or else even the greatest basketball in the world can't compensate for that. Too many schools that I've listed above have the great hoops fan base, but not the competent football.

Seriously, stop talking. You don't think that Memphis, TN is a good recruiting area because it has TWO schools in the SEC in the state??? Saying that Memphis would help B12 football recruiting would be like saying that adding MTSU would help TN recruiting.

Let's break it down by every measurable CR metric that has been shoved down our throats in the past few years:

Endowment:
Memphis - $218M
UCONN - $328M

Academics:
Memphis - USNWR Ranking (No Ranking)
UCONN - USNWR Ranking (#58 tied)

Football:
Memphis - (9 current players in NFL)
All-time record432–449–33 (.491)
Postseason bowl record3–3–0 (.500)

UCONN - (17 current players in NFL)
All-time record494–526–39 (.485)
Postseason bowl record3–2 (.600)

Basketball:
Memphis -
All-time record1,406–820–1 (.632)
0 National Championships
3 Final Fours
6 Elite 8s
11 Sweet 16s

UCONN -
All-time record1,619–895 (.644)
4 National Championships
5 Final Fours
11 Elite 8s
17 Sweet 16s

Athletic Departments:
Memphis -
Revenue: $46M

UCONN -
Revenue: $63M

Reaction Score
To be truthful, college football in New England or the northeast isn't very good. The chance of BC, Syracuse, or Rutgers ever playing in the College football playoff is slim and really not much better than UCONN. The likelyhood of those teams actually being a factor within their respective conferences is negligible. UCONN just needs to build the football program and everything else will take care of it's self. UCONN has the top athletic department in the Northeast for a reason. UCONN just wins National Championships. Mens basketball, Womens basketball, mens soccer, field
hockey, they know how to win. Mens ice hockey will be competeing for championships in the very near future. New soccer facilities, hockey facilities, and baseball facilities are in the works. The university continues to grow, including it's reputation as a research institute. UCONN will survive and continue to thrive both academically and academically.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
NESN doesn't give one third of a flip about covering a UConn-UMass football game. As it is, NESN has a history of acting like CT doesn't exist.
No truer words ever spoken. I have wondered for years why they call it NESN when they only care about the Boston pro teams. Just rename it BSTN (Boston SporTs Network).

Reaction Score
To be truthful, UCONN just needs to build the football program and everything else will take care of it's self. .

Exactly. Win the AAC league in football once or twice( shouldn't be out of the question that it can't be done ), and it seems highly likely that a P5 Conference will be convinced Uconn has outgrown the AAC and worthy of a P5 Conference invite. By that time, and measuring yardstick, it would appear the P5 Conferences hesitancy to invite Uconn would seemingly have run out of any more excuses on Uconn's apparent lack of qualifications that the P5 are looking for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly. Win the AAC league in football once or twice( shouldn't be out of the question that it can't be done ), and it seems highly likely that a P5 Conference will be convinced Uconn has outgrown the AAC and worthy of a P5 Conference invite. By that time, and measuring yardstick, it would appear the P5 Conferences hesitancy to invite Uconn would seemingly have run out of any more excuses on Uconn's apparent lack of qualifications that the P5 are looking for.

Interesting double negative.

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
You mean like we won the Big East football conference twice? You act like they have never done such a thing. Moron

Reaction Score
You mean like we won the Big East football conference twice? You act like they have never done such a thing. Moron
I did not say, nor imply in any of my remarks, that Uconn didn't win in football in the reconfigured BE football league in the recent past... so put the pitchfork down. (sorry to hear the hoops team lost to Yale tonite, incidentally.. they'll no doubt bounce back quickly and they'll be just fine ). I merely stated that one way to enhance Uconn's chances moving forward with any P5 Conference is to do what was just said above... win in the AAC... then everything will take care of itself. What is so wrong with that assessment and observation that brings out your personal insult ? I merely agreed with what the poster said.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be truthful, college football in New England or the northeast isn't very good. The chance of BC, Syracuse, or Rutgers ever playing in the College football playoff is slim and really not much better than UCONN. The likelyhood of those teams actually being a factor within their respective conferences is negligible.
Also, the ACC is pushing for a rule change to allow them to determine how they determine who plays in the CCG. The ACC want to make sure teams like WF, BC, theCuse, Duke et al aren't playing in the CCG. The other conferences will do the same. When it is all said and done, each conference will be able to control how they choose their champion and ultimately control which teams have a shot at the playoff. Only a select group of teams from each conference will qualify for the playoff.

Reaction Score
No, perhaps the problem might lie in that you misunderstood what was said. The " facts " are only as good as " the facts " themselves, and the " facts " have to be promoted nationally in a competent, non threatening, non litigitous, non hostile, intelligent, calm and coherent manner by Uconn officials. If you believe that Uconn has effectively promoted themselves nationally in a fact based way, then there will probably continue to be frustration. Uconn seems viewed by outsiders as uniquely hateful of its current AAC league. The notion that potential recruits to Uconn don't sense this utter contempt and hatred for all things AAC, and that this is of no impact to recruiting, is a rather counterproductive and curious conclusion to me. But, maybe I offer a view here on this that seems to have no merit whatsoever. But then Uconn fans have no explanation for things, and the frustration continues, and they scratch their heads and say WTF, or call me names, and off we go on ignore, or profanity, or personal attacks. I offer analysis and suggestion. If its considered BS, then thats that, I guess.

I'm confused. You claim to 'come in peace', yet all you've done recently is used a gasoline-soaked flamethrower to p*ss off UCONN fans.

Did UCONN sue in 2011, when DeFilippo uttered his 'unfortunate' comments? No.

Did UCONN sue in 2012, when Louisville was invited over us? No.

So perhaps you can take your "facts" and go pound sand!!!

Reaction Score
I'm confused. .

Did UCONN sue in 2011, when DeFilippo uttered his 'unfortunate' comments?

Did UCONN sue in 2012, when Louisville was invited over us?

No as my answer to both your questions for me.

And the point you want for me to understand from you with this is what ? Blumenthal doesn't sue nearly as much on behalf of Uconn sports as some people think ? He should have sued here too ? Or something else again with your questions ?... as I'm getting as confused as you are now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No as my answer to both your questions for me.

And the point you want for me to understand from you with this is.... ?

I recall reading a lot of write-ups PROMOTING (key word) UCONN to the Big 10 after the dual championships this past year. I believe that's considered nationally promoted.

Reaction Score
Seriously, stop talking. You don't think that Memphis, TN is a good recruiting area because it has TWO schools in the SEC in the state??? Saying that Memphis would help B12 football recruiting would be like saying that adding MTSU would help TN recruiting.

Let's break it down by every measurable CR metric that has been shoved down our throats in the past few years:

Endowment:
Memphis - $218M
UCONN - $328M

Academics:
Memphis - USNWR Ranking (No Ranking)
UCONN - USNWR Ranking (#58 tied)

Football:
Memphis - (9 current players in NFL)
All-time record432–449–33 (.491)
Postseason bowl record3–3–0 (.500)

UCONN - (17 current players in NFL)
All-time record494–526–39 (.485)
Postseason bowl record3–2 (.600)

Basketball:
Memphis -
All-time record1,406–820–1 (.632)
0 National Championships
3 Final Fours
6 Elite 8s
11 Sweet 16s

UCONN -
All-time record1,619–895 (.644)
4 National Championships
5 Final Fours
11 Elite 8s
17 Sweet 16s

Athletic Departments:
Memphis -
Revenue: $46M

UCONN -
Revenue: $63M
Memphis has been talking to the Big 12 when they were trying to get in the Big East. Our new leadership in the athletic department is pro football and have invested in making our football product better. We even budget cut from basketball to give to football. This is a post from a poster on our 247 board.
"
I had heard preseason that the Big 12 was watching and the football team needed to do something big. They did. It's also interesting that Fuente is so willing to take the raise and stay."

Reaction Score
I recall reading a lot of write-ups PROMOTING (key word) UCONN to the Big 10 after the dual championships this past year. I believe that's considered nationally promoted.
Ok... so you believe that the school has promoted Uconn very well to the BIG and to the other leagues. I'll accept that in your view Ucoon has done well promoting itself to the P5. So the lack of an invite from any of the P5 isn't the lack of promotion, anyway, it would appear.

Reaction Score
Memphis has been talking to the Big 12 when they were trying to get in the Big East. Our new leadership in the athletic department is pro football and have invested in making our football product better. We even budget cut from basketball to give to football.
"
I had heard preseason that the Big 12 was watching and the football team needed to do something big. They did.

So winning the AAC in football this season has dramtically improved Memphis's chances of getting a future invite with the B12 ? Is that what you are telling us here ? You guys went from last to first in the AAC in one season in football. Would you agree that if Uconn duplicates this... goes from last ( or near last )in the AAC to first next season in the ACC in football, that they too will dramatically enhance their chances of going to a P5 Conference, such as the B12 ?

Reaction Score
Ok... so you believe that the school has promoted Uconn very well to the BIG and to the other leagues. I'll accept that in your view Ucoon has done well promoting itself to the P5. So the lack of an invite from any of the P5 isn't the lack of promotion, anyway, it would appear.

At the risk of appearing as the PC police, I sincerely hope that this was a typo (and not even a Freudian slip), and if not, you have revealed yourself to be an even bigger than some of your previous posts!

Reaction Score
At the risk of appearing as the PC police, I sincerely hope that this was a typo (and not even a Freudian slip), and if not, you have revealed yourself to be an even bigger than some of your previous posts!

I have no idea what you found so offensive in my post that it brought out profanity and insults from you. I accepted the posters position that Uconn has no problem in promoting itself properly. What the heck is your problem with that ?

Reaction Score
So winning the AAC in football this season has dramtically improved Memphis's chances of getting a future invite with the B12 ? Is that what you are telling us here ? You guys went from last to first in the AAC in one season in football. Would you agree that if Uconn duplicates this... goes from last ( or near last )in the AAC to first next season in the ACC in football, that they too will dramatically enhance their chances of going to a P5 Conference, such as the B12 ?
More so our showing against top 25 teams this year. Fuente is a good at getting 2* and unranked players to play to the level of their competition or above it.

Reaction Score
More so our showing against top 25 teams this year. Fuente is a good at getting 2* and unranked players to play to the level of their competition or above it.
Agree. There are schools that play much better than their recruiting tends to be. Boise State, Stanford, immediately come to mind as well. ND, conversely, underperforms their recruiting rankings most years. Congrats to you guys on your share( at least )of the AAC Football Championship. Winning 6 in a row down the stretch was impressive.. best of luck in your Bowl Game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no idea what you found so offensive in my post that it brought out profanity and insults from you. I accepted the posters position that Uconn has no problem in promoting itself properly. What the heck is your problem with that ?

Before more people like me misconstrue your intent, I kindly ask you to re-read and edit the typo. Thank you

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath, because you won't get anything other than "stay the course" / "monitoring the situation" type comments - the chances UConn will could receive a BXII invite are close to zero. And that would still be true even if we cloned twenty Tom Jurich's and had them all running the UConn AD, board of trustees, president's office and got them elected as CT's governor and lieutenant governor. Our only hope to get in that conference would be a big expansion going for the East Coast with Temple/Cincy/ECU, which I would put at 0.01%.

(...so you're saying there's a chance.)

catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Au contraire, mon frère.
If UConn could successfully clone humans, it would have a ton of federal research grants.
If UConn had a ton of federal research grants, it would get AAU membership.
If UConn had AAU membership, it would open the door to B1G membership.
Therefore, if UConn could clone dozens of Tom Jurichs our conference affiliation problems would be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom