This can't be true?! | The Boneyard

This can't be true?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Hard to see how it could benefit UConn, unless it is the harbinger of further moves. But what moves? ACC isn't moving and there's no pressure on the B1G to move quickly. Big XII would stop at 12.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Good lord, the FedEx CEO is going to "open his wallet" to get them in?

For the #3 team in Tennessee, they really do like to thump their chest a lot. Remember when they were going to bring the Liberty Bowl with them?

Also..why aren't we on Memphis for trying to ruin the American? Weren't we big villians for not wanting to be in this PoS? Memphis is at least with some of its historical rivals.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If this were to happen, I don't want to hear another Goddam word from FTT or any other CR follower about the importance of football in CR.

Memphis -
All-time record432–449–33 (.491)
Postseason bowl record3–3–0 (.500)

I also will give up following this once and for all, cancel all cable subscriptions so that my TV never again lands on a college sporting event, and give up. I think I'll pick up gardening.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If this were to happen, I don't want to hear another Goddam word from FTT or any other CR follower about the importance of football in CR.

Memphis -

I also will give up following this once and for all, cancel all cable subscriptions so that my TV never again lands on a college sporting event, and give up. I think I'll pick up gardening.

I will probably pick up voodoo and spend my days needling at Swofford and every BC alumni/administrator I can individually identify.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How is this any different than a Tennessee version of Scott Gray (Now I have to post the same thread on the 14 other boards :rolleyes:)?

Reaction Score

Memphis -

It is an interesting rumor - it would surprise me, but not completely shock me. It's at least in the plausible category (unlike those old rumors of the Big 12 going after Florida State). The threshold question for me is whether the Big 12 wants to expand at all in the first place.

To be sure, football still does matter here. You have to look at the whole football-related picture just like Rutgers. Rutgers certainly doesn't have a great on-the-field football history. However, the state of New Jersey was the largest non-Sun Belt/Southern football recruiting base (which, along with TV markets, is what commissioners like Jim Delany is really referring to when they talk about "demographics") that wasn't already in the Big Ten. #2 on that list was the state of Maryland. Those certainly weren't the ONLY factors involved (as the TV markets were the number one consideration for the B1G), but they were big ones that university presidents and ADs have actually been very open about. So, it was still a football-driven expansion for the Big Ten even if marquee football programs weren't necessarily added.

In the same vein, the Memphis area is also one of the strongest per capita football recruiting regions in the country. In fact, both Memphis and Cincinnati would instantly be the two best football recruiting areas in the Big 12 outside of the state of Texas.

At the same time, Memphis has shown to be at least football *competent* this year. Any school with a great hoops fan base (which includes UConn, Memphis, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, etc.) combined with competent football becomes more intriguing in conference realignment. The football program just can't be down in the dumps horrific or else even the greatest basketball in the world can't compensate for that. Too many schools that I've listed above have the great hoops fan base, but not the competent football.

Reaction Score
Screw all that. From where I'm sitting it appears you must be a commuter school to be considered for a P5 invite these days.

Reaction Score
If Cincy and Memphis get a P5 invite over us I'm done with college sports. Combined record of teams Memphis beat in football this year? 31-72. Christ. Can't even compete with Austin Peay in basketball either.

Reaction Score
If Cincy and Memphis get a P5 invite over us I'm done with college sports. Combined record of teams Memphis beat in football this year? 31-72. Christ. Can't even compete with Austin Peay in basketball either.

Going out on a limb here, but don't you think there basketball improves in the b12? We are screwed.

Reaction Score
Going out on a limb here, but don't you think there basketball improves in the b12? We are screwed.
Calipari to Pastner? Regressed. CUSA to AAC? Regressed. AAC to B12? Not a clue, probably follows same pattern.

But honestly if this happens, it is time to go to the Big East and be independent for football. Play the service academies and UMass yearly, hell we can play Rhode Island every year too. Warde can probably get 2-3 P5 games a year, he can schedule. Play BYU permanently too.

Reaction Score
Calipari to Pastner? Regressed. CUSA to AAC? Regressed. AAC to B12? Not a clue, probably follows same pattern.

But honestly if this happens, it is time to go to the Big East and be independent for football. Play the service academies and UMass yearly, hell we can play Rhode Island every year too. Warde can probably get 2-3 P5 games a year, he can schedule. Play BYU permanently too.

if it happens, you're right - gotta seriously rethink this football experiment.

Reaction Score
Brochacho said:

What would the point of even continuing the football program at that point? The fanbase will have been completely lost.

I'm with Dooley on this and taking up gardening if true. That is, if i don't jump off the founders bridge first.

Reaction Score
What would the point of even continuing the football program at that point? The fanbase will have been for all intents and purposes lost.

I'm with Dooley on this and taking up gardening if true. That is, if i don't jump off the founders bridge first.
I'm not sure why we would play. The only thing I could think of is that maybe 10 years down the line a conference would have a need for us, and if we just stop playing what would we do with our facilities? We can slash costs by going independent and honestly could make more money I would assume. What are we making for all sports right now, 3 million? Being Independent we can keep the games local, still go out and schedule p5 teams in home and homes to have good teams come to town, and we would be able to do cash games at the larger programs.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why we would play. The only thing I could think of is that maybe 10 years down the line a conference would have a need for us, and if we just stop playing what would we do with our facilities? We can slash costs by going independent and honestly could make more money I would assume. What are we making for all sports right now, 3 million? Being Independent we can keep the games local, still go out and schedule p5 teams in home and homes to still have good teams come to town, and we would be able to do cash games at the larger programs.
I don't want to sway the conversation from our most recent doom and gloom discussion, but I just do not think scheduling as an Independant would be in any ways even close to an upgrade or neutral change.

If that small window of hope exists even if a decade later - the unfortunate best bet may be to continue in the AAC with whatever is left of the fanbase and conference.

This would be scary bad if true.

Reaction Score
Should this happen is there anyway we and others could create a football only conference. I would be interested other teams willing to take on the pay for play approach of the p65. Teams like BSU, BYU, Nevada, SDSU, ECU, UCF, etc. Maybe add Navy. Then park our olympic sports elsewhere. We cannot survive as an independent.

Reaction Score
I don't want to sway the conversation from our most recent doom and gloom discussion, but I just do not think scheduling as an Independant would be in any ways even close to an upgrade or neutral change.

If that small window of hope exists even if a decade later - the unfortunate best bet may be to continue in the AAC with whatever is left of the fanbase and conference.

This would be scary bad if true.
FCS team
P5 money game
P5 home
P5 away
P5/MAC-level home
P5/MAC-level away
MAC-level home
MAC level away
Air Force
Navy
Army
UMass

Army and Navy away one year, UMass and Air Force the next. Warde has shown that he can schedule the P5 teams, so I think he could get us 4-5 matchups a season. UMass becomes our "rivalry game." 6 away games a year; one of which we could likely take a bus, and the other being a paid game. I personally would take that over Tulane and Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Should this happen is there anyway we and others could create a football only conference. I would be interested other teams willing to take on the pay for play approach of the p65. Teams like BSU, BYU, Nevada, SDSU, ECU, UCF, etc. Maybe add Navy. Then park our olympic sports elsewhere. We cannot survive as an independent.
As all of this shakes out, this is probably our best option. 9 or 10 team conference. Throw in Fresno State, UConn, Temple, USF to those teams.
West: BSU, BYU, Nevada, SDSU, Fresno State.
East: ECU, UCF, USF, Temple, UConn.

Thinking of stuff like this makes me sad.

Reaction Score
"What this league has to worry about right now is ECU, UC, UCF and USF going to the Big 12 to help create an East Division and get a conference championship game. Details are still very sketchy, but it appears the doors have finally opened to the Big 12 finding regional teams for WVU to assist with travel and also establish a long sought after Florida footprint for the league. Multiple sources have suggested that Mike Aresco is already trying to renegotiate the American's current TV deal for the league in an effort to keep these teams in the conference with more money and a possible Grant of Rights. But Aresco's response is reportedly forcing the hand of the Big 12 even faster.

That is expected to unfold within the next four weeks and isn't something American fans should worry about at the moment. Fans should be more concerned with when their favorite team plays Memphis or ECU, because those programs are on fire right now. Surprisingly, the Tigers and Pirates don't play each other this season, so don't expect the question of who is best to be answered on the gridiron."

http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-memphis-shocks-cincinnati-and-the-aac-braces-for-realignment.html

"Some times you just need to have a little patience and that has been the case with conference realignment lately. It was reported back in early October that the Big 12 had settled on expansion and Memphis had joined the conversation as possible teams to join the Power 5 league.

The hiccups that were holding Cincinnati back from getting picked up have been addressed since then with the announcement that UC Bearcats basketball facilities are getting a major multimillion dollar overhaul in addition to a newly renovated Nippert Stadium.

For a long time, many (including myself) had speculated that the Big 12 would look to UCF or possibly the combination of UCF and USF for a wide Florida footprint to help recruiting and overall exposure. But it looks like the conference wants to help out West Virginia with some regional partners.

It appears that it might be a done deal with the official announcement coming some time around the end of March Madness, according to ESPN Radio in Nashville and this story from ESPN 92.9.

The trigger likely got pulled on this deal when Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby was faced with the problem of having Co-Champions since his league is the only Power Conference without a conference championship game.

We'll keep an eye on this one as it develops. Unfortunately this took closer to eight weeks than four as we had originally reported. -Patience."

http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-big-12-looking-to-poach-memphis-tigers-and-cincinnati-bearcats.html

Reaction Score
http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-big-12-looking-to-poach-memphis-tigers-and-cincinnati-bearcats.html

Big 12 Looking to Poach Memphis Tigers and Cincinnati Bearcats

Posted by C. Austin Cox on Friday, 05 December 2014

Some times you just need to have a little patience and that has been the case with conference realignment lately. It was reported back in early October that the Big 12 had settled on expansion and Memphis had joined the conversation as possible teams to join the Power 5 league.

The hiccups that were holding Cincinnati back from getting picked up have been addressed since then with the announcement that UC Bearcats basketball facilities are getting a major multimillion dollar overhaul in addition to a newly renovated Nippert Stadium.

For a long time, many (including myself) had speculated that the Big 12 would look to UCF or possibly the combination of UCF and USF for a wide Florida footprint to help recruiting and overall exposure. But it looks like the conference wants to help out West Virginia with some regional partners.

It appears that it might be a done deal with the official announcement coming some time around the end of March Madness, according to ESPN Radio in Nashville and this story from ESPN 92.9.

The trigger likely got pulled on this deal when Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby was faced with the problem of having Co-Champions since his league is the only Power Conference without a conference championship game.

We'll keep an eye on this one as it develops. Unfortunately this took closer to eight weeks than four as we had originally reported. -Patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom