Thibault on UConn Players (John A Blog) | The Boneyard

Thibault on UConn Players (John A Blog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Note this from John A:

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/a-mystical-night-for-those-who-value-uconn-players/#more-6244

In particular this quote from Mike Thibault about his experience coaching UConn alumnae in the WNBA:

“They know how to win. They expect to win. They practice every day to win,” Thibault said. “That is the mentality that has been instilled with them at UConn. And I would think the styles Geno and I use are somewhat close. They [UConn players] may learn some plays differently [in the WNBA}, but in terms of our expectations, our practices, the things we do, it’s very similar.
“In terms of myself, I know what I am getting [with UConn players]. They win. They are well-coached, well-prepared for this level.”

Specifically about Stef and Bria, he said:

“Their personalities fit with what we are trying to rebuild here in Washington,” Thibault said of Hartley and Dolson. “They are high energy, upbeat people. Stefanie’s personality may be more out-going than Bria’s, but they understand the big picture and bring energy into a locker room."

He certainly speaks from experience -- how many UConn players did he coach as the Sun's coach?

The article also said that the deal with Seattle for Bria was negotiated just before the draft, subject to the condition that the Mystics got Stef. Apparently he sees the two as "better together", if not quite a package deal.

Reaction Score
I get to see the Mystics play Chicago in the preseason game in Delaware.

Reaction Score
I wonder what a WNBA player gets paid. Is it based on your draft position?

Reaction Score
I wonder what a WNBA player gets paid. Is it based on your draft position?
Here are a few quick salary facts:
WNBA Salary Fast Facts:
  • Rookie minimum salary: $34,500
  • Average rookie salary: $36,500, plus daily allowance
  • Veteran (over 3 years with the WNBA) minimum: $50,000,
  • Maximum salary: $95,000
  • Team salary cap: $750,000, which teams may exceed by 4%
You can see more at:

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/wnba-salaries.php

Reaction Score
WNBA Salary Fast Facts:

• [ ]Rookie minimum salary: $34,500
    [ ]Average rookie salary: $36,500, plus daily allowance
    [ ]Veteran (over 3 years with the WNBA) minimum: $50,000,
    [ ]Maximum salary: $95,000
    [ ]Team salary cap: $750,000, which teams may exceed by 4%
You can see more at:

That doesn't sound so great. Better off getting a regular job. I guess they generally go overseas to make their money? Can you imagine Stef and Bria having to live on $35k in Wahington DC? Yikes. If they were hungry Huskies before, they're going to be malnourished Mystics now.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That doesn't sound so great. Better off getting a regular job. I guess they generally go overseas to make their money? Can you imagine Stef and Bria having to live on $35k in Wahington DC? Yikes. If they were hungry Huskies before, they're going to be malnourished Mystics now.

Funny, but it really amounts to a fairly well-paid part-time job. Most of these players also play overseas, or have other jobs in the off-season to help fund the last night snacks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
WNBA Salary Fast Facts:

• [ ]Rookie minimum salary: $34,500
    [ ]Average rookie salary: $36,500, plus daily allowance
    [ ]Veteran (over 3 years with the WNBA) minimum: $50,000,
    [ ]Maximum salary: $95,000
    [ ]Team salary cap: $750,000, which teams may exceed by 4%
You can see more at:

Yeah - I found that, but ... it seems a little internally inconsistent on the team salary cap compared to the table above.
I understand that it is 4 months of employment but ... these folks are not getting rich off the WNBA salaries.

Reaction Score

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
There have been four "Lockouts" in recent NBA history. If the the WNBA players went on strike, the league would fold immediately. As it is, the WNBA is very fragile, economically....

Reaction Score
As someone who lives off of a little less than that in DC (and pays student loans), I'm rolling my eyes right now. Sure, it's not what they're worth, and it's laughable compared to the hundreds of thousands that you get with a minimum contract in the NBA. But if you think that 35k for four months of work is bad, you probably haven't been on the receiving end of the entry level job market recently.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Off season does not mean you aren't working for your employer as you will not be employed for long if you do not keep up your skills and stay in condition. For many of these women the most efficient, economically and professionally, is to play for another league somewhere adding income as well as maintaining the former.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
And aside from the overseas off-season paychecks, it's always nice if you're able to scrounge up an endorsement deal with Nike and the Jordan Brand $ $ $ $ $ $ (Not a big fan of all the airbrushing in this picture, however)

:)

FP-Jordan-Melo-Contentgrid-Family-540x677-img25.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I doubt that the vast majority have any endorsement deals.

Reaction Score
As someone who lives off of a little less than that in DC (and pays student loans), I'm rolling my eyes right now. Sure, it's not what they're worth, and it's laughable compared to the hundreds of thousands that you get with a minimum contract in the NBA. But if you think that 35k for four months of work is bad, you probably haven't been on the receiving end of the entry level job market recently.

It was very expensive to live in the area in the '80s when I lived there. Me and two other guys started out living in a $1,200.00 a month townhouse in Reston, Va. I can't imagine what it costs these days. Hope they get some kind of housing allowance.

That's the only bad thing about playing on a WNBA team in NYC, Wash. DC, LA etc.

Everybody needs to support the teams by going to the games so the girls can start getting paid better. The WNBA needs to get viewing packages going with Verizon, Comcast and the other suppliers to make more money. I just subscribed to the MLB Extra Innings package with Verizon and am a happy camper this summer!

Reaction Score
Off season does not mean you aren't working for your employer as you will not be employed for long if you do not keep up your skills and stay in condition. For many of these women the most efficient, economically and professionally, is to play for another league somewhere adding income as well as maintaining the former.
It's not a totally bad deal for them if you think about it.

They're getting paid to play a game they love. If they go to an overseas team then they get to see what it's like living in another country. I had a ball being stationed in Germany in the '80s.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Sometimes when you are young you just do what you like to do. As it should be.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Compare and contrast:

Thibault: [UConn players] know how to win. They expect to win.
Donovan: Charles wasn't committed to winning

Hell of a hire there, Chrissy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is not meant to be confrontational and I lived in NYC pursuing a career a show biz career living on 1/6th of that so I was in the same boat, but I was also definitely not one of 144 best people in my chosen profession in the the US let alone the world.
When we compare these salaries that is an important consideration - it is a game and all, but these athletes are the absolute best at what they do. And I do not blame the WNBA - they pay what they can afford. It is just depressing that what they can afford is so little.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is not meant to be confrontational and I lived in NYC pursuing a career a show biz career living on 1/6th of that so I was in the same boat, but I was also definitely not one of 144 best people in my chosen profession in the the US let alone the world.
When we compare these salaries that is an important consideration - it is a game and all, but these athletes are the absolute best at what they do. And I do not blame the WNBA - they pay what they can afford. It is just depressing that what they can afford is so little.

Ahh, it is what it is. Not too long ago someone bequeathed a ton of dough to the Yale school of music. IIRC, it was so large that it made it pretty much tuition-free for anyone who gets accepted into the program. I remember a letter to the editor from a recent grad that said while that was all well and good, what about what happens after graduation? There aren't that many positions out there for the musicians to make a living. Perhaps that money could have been used to support music in the community.

Reaction Score
I don't think you're being confrontational and I agree that the amount that women get paid to to play basketball relative to men is disgraceful. I was responding to the idea that they'd be better off getting a typical job.

And for what it's worth, being the best at something doesn't necessarily mean anything. I could be one of the 150 best bocce players in the world, and I still wouldn't quit my day job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro