There is no AAC team in Rhode Island | Page 3 | The Boneyard

There is no AAC team in Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What does it tell you about the relevance of the media day location when the SEC holds their day in Nowhere, Alabama?

Like I already said....it doesn't matter where the SEC has media days...they can have it on Waylon's scrotum and everyone would be happy to attend and it would get plenty of exposure.

Tuberville is right. And I hate the answer for why the offices are in RI...because the people are there? Can't get good people to work in the AAC in a city that is part of the conference footprint?

I know everyone wants to say "its just media days"..."it's just a mailing address"....to those people I think you are missing the big picture. UConn needs this conference to be somewhat respected or they will never get out. Crappy TV contracts and conference offices and media days outside of the conference footprint aren't exactly helping to build a quality brand.

Reaction Score
@WingU-Conn , the big east results on the field weren't bad 9-7 in bcs bowls with ucf's win last year. Much better than the acc's 5-13, record which includes two wins just last year. For whatever reason, results on the field or court have never mattered when it came to the big east, and I am sure it will be no different in this conference.

There's more to it than the BCS bowl record, but when you get down to it, most of those BCS wins were between a few teams.....that all left the conference.

The record on the field may not change the perception, but it is far more important than the media days in late July.

Reaction Score
This is Palatine.

He is in a "media" related field. But ... I come back to watching this for 15 years: the MEDIA love Newport. They do. You get people going to the Big East Media Day because its in Newport & they like the lobster/clams. They like playing dinky golf & the atmosphere with these coaches.

I expect the "American" changes this ... but I think it makes sense to run these "Contra" Media events. Everyone of the others does a Florida thing (except the Chicago or SF). Newport has contrast and it sets the table. (as best as it could be)

But only the media who are already following the teams go there. There is no opportunity ot break out. It is SMALL time. And it was only held there because of the Providence mafia that ran the BE delivering a beeny to their home state.

There is not a single good media driven reason to hold an event there.

Reaction Score
There's more to it than the BCS bowl record, but when you get down to it, most of those BCS wins were between a few teams.....that all left the conference.

The record on the field may not change the perception, but it is far more important than the media days in late July.
My point was, even when the big east was intact and winning bcs games, the talk was always that the big east wasn't worthy of bcs bid. You rarely heard that talk about the acc despite having a far inferior bcs bowl or record. The ESPN talking heads never took the acc to task like they did the big east and that helps shape public opinion. The popular narrative now is that any school worth anything was scooped up by an existing p5 league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The AAC is never going to be a brand. The AAC is never going to be anything beyond what it is.

CUSA existed for decades. It's conference USA plus UConn, Temple and Navy football.

The only thing to worry about is UConn and what UConn does. The country is never going to give a damn about the AAC.

Not a single school other than maybe East Carolina is the most popular school in their market. Some of them are probably 3rd, 4th and 5th. That isn't going to change.

LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Penn St, Florida St, A&M, Ohio St, Mississippi, Oklahoma and others are always going to be more popular in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis, Philadelphia, Orlando, Tampa, Tulsa and Cincinnati.

It's not going to change in our lifetimes. It's not worth worrying about or pretending that moving Media Day from Newport is going to change anything.

Reaction Score
My point was, even when the big east was intact and winning bcs games, the talk was always that the big east wasn't worthy of bcs bid. You rarely heard that talk about the acc despite having a far inferior bcs bowl or record. The ESPN talking heads never took the acc to task like they did the big east and that helps shape public opinion. The popular narrative now is that any school worth anything was scooped up by an existing p5 league.

You can argue about this with yourself.

If you want to talk about the location of the media days on the perception of the league, let me know, otherwise I'm staying on topic.

Reaction Score
Tuberville is narrow-minded workaholic. (and like Palatine) He misses the bigger picture. Having continuity works ... at least at this moment. I can't imagine this being better in Memphis - yuck.

It's not surprising that a place like Newport would be lost on a Tuberville. The use of forks, knives and spoons probably confuse the poor guy.

As it relates to Newport, wouldn't it be reasonable to see which media outlets are represented and what, if any, output they provide? We sometimes complain before we know what we're complaining about. If, for example, SNY, The New York Times and Boston Globe showed up in Newport, the AAC might have done UCONN a favor.

On my list of complaints about UCONN and the AAC, the location of Media Day is probably down around item (complaint) 150, or so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like Tuberville wants to be at Cincinnati long enough to go to a bunch of media days anyway.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Like Tuberville wants to be at Cincinnati long enough to go to a bunch of media days anyway.

his wife's family is from there and they're not getting any younger. I think he stays til he retires.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
With that argument... why would it be CT and not PA or FL or TX or OK or LA or NC?

It's 2014 you don't need physical access to anything.

I don't know how many people work at the AAC office, but why uproot all their lives and make them go through the hassle of moving for literally zero benefit beyond Pal and Pal types feeling better about the zip code.

Reread the post Whaler. CT is uniquely situated. No other conference member's state is closer to NYC. No other member's state has the headquarters of ESPN located in it. (I suppose I should mention NBC Sports as well but...) Plus, I don't have a rooting interest in the economies of the states of any other AAC school. I do in Connecticut. That said, any of the conference member's states has a better claim that Rhode Island. We should move when it is fiscally convenient absent significant RI incentives to stay.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
his wife's family is from there and they're not getting any younger. I think he stays til he retires.

Eh thats a convienient reason when one is about to be run out of town.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reread the post Whaler. CT is uniquely situated. No other conference member's state is closer to NYC. No other member's state has the headquarters of ESPN located in it. (I suppose I should mention NBC Sports as well but...) Plus, I don't have a rooting interest in the economies of the states of any other AAC school. I do in Connecticut. That said, any of the conference member's states has a better claim that Rhode Island. We should move when it is fiscally convenient absent significant RI incentives to stay.

It just does not matter. At all.

Reaction Score
Perception wise, why would you have your league headquarters in a rival league's state? And not just any rival league but the league that basically put most of your schools in the crappy situation they now find themselves in? Why give R.I. one penny of revenue when Providence College did nothing but help break up one of the best all around conferences in the country? They were too cheap to improve their athletic department to anything more than mediocre. Providence College made a lot of money from the hard work and sacrifice of other schools and it should be an insult for schools Like UConn, Cincy and USF to have their league HQ based there. It should either be in the state of one of the conference schools or the media capitol of the world, NYC. I'm surprised they didn't move it to Memphis being geographically as close to the middle of the conference as any school. Some might argue ECU but having the league HQ in N. Carolina would be a disaster as the ACC is a bigger threat than the ......can't even bring myself to say their name( B. E.). Maybe Aresco has enough leverage to tell the league presidents that he wouldn't be moving with the conference had they relocated down south. Maybe not. It just looks bad perception wise in my book. Like the conference can't afford to move their HQ or aren't perceptive enough to realize they are sending a subliminal signal that this conference is still in a state of disarray.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a rival league?
Providence College gets revenue from spaced leased by the owners of private buildings located in Providence?
I agree, perception is a problem. I'm getting sick of reading all those stories from the media complaining about where our headquarters are located.

Do people realize that most fans of AAC TEAMS don't even realize or care where the conference headquarters are, never mind the rest of the country.

Ask as many people as you can at the next UConn football game where the conference headquarters are located. You're crazy if you think more than 1 in 10 know, or give a sh t

Reaction Score
Perception wise, why would you have your league headquarters in a rival league's state?

I didn't realize the Mountain West or Conference USA had their headquarters in Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
It's not a question of where people want to go. It may very well be true that folks prefer to go to Newport.

The question is where can you drum up the most coverage. This event needs to worked. It becomes more important if you are non-entity like the AAC. You need to fish where the fish are. You need to be smart. To make a splash. You need to find news hooks. You need to create stories, to do things that are newsworthy. Put a football field in Times Square. Hold a press conference on top of the Empire State Building. Make people notice you. There a a thousand more opportunities to make contact with media entities than in Newport.

The only media in Newport are the ones who choose to come along. They will go anywhere the event is held.

I'll Take "How many cliches can I fit into one paragraph" for $500 Alex. :)

By the way, I agree with your thoughts; I just chuckled when I read them.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Move it UConn's Avery Point Campus up in Groton, beutiful campus and right on the water (legit ocean, not that crappy Gold Coast LI Sound). Do the clambake, and put people up at the Mystic Marriott. Done. I agree it shouldn't be in RI, either should AAC headqarters. Make zero sense besides the fact that its the ashes of the Big East.

Reaction Score
We are still talking about this?

If you're gonna propose moving the event out of Newport, it should be because Newport is an overrated pile of sucktitude. But it doesn't matter in terms of coverage one iota.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned the TPC and it got my mind working. Maybe they could pair each coach with the 3 largest papers in their state that come to the media day for a casual round of golf at the TPC in Cromwell. Maybe forming a social relationship leads to longer term and better coverage. My other idea was to get the media guys drunk and take pictures of them with hookers for bribery purposes, but decided the TPC thing should be tried first.

Reaction Score
Pal still drinks his Ovaltine by the radio at night listening to Little Orphan Annie and knows that cameras can steal his soul.

You've all become drones of the camera companies. I have some literature you should read. You wouldn't think he's crazy then. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Next year, assuming they aren't shooting a Silence of the Lambs remake, we should host it in that basement well in Buffalo Bill's house. If nothing else, its symbolic.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a rival league?
Providence College gets revenue from spaced leased by the owners of private buildings located in Providence?
I agree, perception is a problem. I'm getting sick of reading all those stories from the media complaining about where our headquarters are located.

Do people realize that most fans of AAC TEAMS don't even realize or care where the conference headquarters are, never mind the rest of the country.

Ask as many people as you can at the next UConn football game where the conference headquarters are located. You're crazy if you think more than 1 in 10 know, or give a sh t
In basketball they are. And... I said state of Rhode Island getting a penny of revenue..not PC..but don't bother reading what people actually type. Just take your pot shots regardless. Also, if no one cares where the HQ is then move it to somewhere that makes sense for the league and makes people care. Rhode Island and the AAC have nothing in common. Shouldn't be there. Sends the wrong signals about the league.

Reaction Score
In basketball they are. And... I said state of Rhode Island getting a penny of revenue..not PC..

I shouldn't be surprised by the idiocy considering how long you shilled for Pasqualoni, and yet, I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom